[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lightroom, is it necessary?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: adobe-lightroom-icon2.jpg (15 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
adobe-lightroom-icon2.jpg
15 KB, 512x512
Hel /p what are some other uses of Lightroom other than a watermark tool and organization and little tweaks? How necessary is it to have in the photography work field? I've been using it for a while and I don't see the point of it. Can you guys change my mind?
>>
>>2708155
Global edits are "little tweaks"? News to me.

Also, if the organization aspect isn't of use to you, then you have shit organizing.
>>
How about the fact that it is the standard for photographers.
>>
>>2708156
Don't get me wrong i understand the power of multi editing but like is that all there is? And im perfectly organized in my windows folders.

>>2708157
What do you mean by standard?
>>
>>2708158
>And im perfectly organized in my windows folders.
Can't be. I mean literally cannot be. It might be good enough for you at the moment, but if you get deep enough in, you will need far more flexibility than windows offers.

Loom at it this way, the organization aspect is so important that you can get the editing side for free (ACR), but have to pay 150 to get editing plus organization.
>>
>>2708157
>it's the standard

Well no shit sherlock but why
>>
>>2708159
Maybe you're right I do inly have about 7 thousand pictures and plenty of videos. So it is a good idea to invest in Lr
>>
>>2708155
Use whatever makes you happy.
>>
File: 416354.jpg (515 KB, 1851x1124) Image search: [Google]
416354.jpg
515 KB, 1851x1124
I'll ask in this thread since it's similar thing:

What do you guys think about Darktable? It's supposedly free Lightroom clone, interface is completely ripped off from Lightroom, and every important slider is there. I'm not really too much of editing guy and i'm still complete amateur so i wonder - is lightroom really so superior to its free alternative from experienced photographer point of view?
>>
>>2708158
>And im perfectly organized in my windows folders.
can you do rating, tagging, sorting, batch editing, and keywording in windows?
>>
>>2708160
Because you can do almost anything with it. Easy import, with presets and shortcuts on import. You can go through all the photos and rate them, organize them, pick your selections, do an edit on one, then copy the edit to all the others, export to any format you want, in any color space and size and quality you want, for pretty much any application.

If you are saving photos from the internet into folders labeled "redhead" "Blonde" "DP" "Teen" and "scat" then you don't need lightroom, but if you're serious about taking photos and editing them, Lightroom is very VERY good.
>>
>>2708164
>Darktable

yeah Darktable isnt available on windows so it basically doesnt exist
>>
>>2708171
Oh. As a linux user I wasn't aware of that.
>>
>>2708174

Anything other than windows is seriously really gay
>>
>>2708164
Try both and see which you prefer. One's free, the other has a free trial.
>>
>>2708176
>the current year
>using the botnet and paying for software
Not that other guy, but I'd honestly rather go full gay than unironically pay to use spyware that doesn't even suit my needs.
>>
>>2708176

Not that guy, but I'll take it in all holes before I run windows 10
>>
>>2708181
That's childish as hell. It also shows you don't know computers as well as you want to portray.
>>
>>2708181
Are you pretending that you don't take it in all holes anyway?

>WINDOWS IS STEALING ALL OF MY NOTHING!!! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!
>>
>>2708176
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for your input

>>2708177
Yeah, but i'm not 'experienced photographer'. I don't know what's good and what's not yet, for me everything that have light, shadow, contrast and white balance sliders is enough. That's why i wanted to hear opinion of someone who knows how good image editing software should look like - to get some input on whether darktable have potential as a proper tool or not. It'd be terrible to get baby duck syndrome on something that's simply not enough for the task.
>>
>>2708194
Can you afford $10/month? If so, just get the photography cc package, then learn to use the same shit everyone and their brother uses (which means there's a billion tutorials, plugins, and what have you). Google up things like "getting the most out of Lightroom" for an idea. Yes, you can do most everything with free software, but it's a pain.
>>
Lightroom isn't necessary, Capture One is better. And you can shove Lightroom's so-called organisational prowess up Adobe's gaping sphincter. I neither want nor need my entire archive listed the whole time, the projects I'm working on will suffice.
>>
>>2708207
>I Can't figure out how to use this tool so it's a terrible tool!
>>
>>2708207
>Capture One is better
Is it? It's certainly a lot less user friendly. It's better for big budget tethered studio shoots, to be sure, but for the /p/ style walk around for four days and then load your terrible photos to try to polish them, it's a lot more cumbersome.
>>
I dunno. I've been using Lightroom for a bit and I fucking love it.
I shoot with a Nikon D5200 with a wireless adapter, so I can send photos to my tablet or phone (both of which have Lightroom and sync with my computer) and soft edit on the go. Then for shots that need a bit more work, I can send it directly over to Photoshop.
TL;DR it's convenient and effective
>>
>>2708212
>It's better for big budget tethered studio shoots
That's what adobe and their shills want you to think, I'd say download the trial version and use it for a month. Then decide for yourself
>>
>>2708442
I use it every day, for tethered studio shoots. It's cumbersome and lacking what many would call basic features, when compared against Lightroom, for travel, street, basically anything that doesn't involve taking a large group of similarly lit and styled photos in one sitting.
>>
>>2708451
The you are talking crap because I use it everyday for everything BUT tethered studio shoots. The only thing it doesn't have is a shit load of tedious presets.
>>
>>2708454
Or simple intuitive import and export, or simple intuitive filtering systems, or simple library management (Session or Catalog much?)

It's better than lightroom for tethering, and it's better than lightroom for colors and sometimes detail, but workflow and layout design, no, it's not better. And that's okay! Different strokes for different folks! But there's a reason that studio fashion and product shooters use P1, and everyone else uses Lightroom.
>>
>>2708442
>>2708454
Because we should pay 2x for functionality you can get for free from Adobe...who is shilling here again?

Also, you can delete those "tedious" presets...
>>
>>2708454
>I use it everyday for everything BUT tethered studio shoots
screen shot of your library to show photos from every day as proof?
>>
>>2708458
*C1
Damn it.
I was thinking of "phase one" because of the studio work.
>>
What's the difference between editing in Lr than say just Ps?
>>
>>2709261
Lightroom is like an organised Camera Raw that also acts as a library/catalog and has a much better UI.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.