[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do any of you make money from your photography, or is it just a hobby?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 4277472923_a9d3002be6_z.jpg (72 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
4277472923_a9d3002be6_z.jpg
72 KB, 640x473
do any of you make money from your photography, or is it just a hobby?
>>
>>2706100

I do it as a hobby, but I do work on projects around the town I live in. Maybe I'll blog that shit up.
>>
>>2706100
I do it for fun. When I do paid work it's usually not fun, but it feels good knowing my gear paid for itself.
>>
I seriously considered going full time pro some years back. I gave up the idea because, in order to make enough to live, I would have mostly been doing stuff that I don't enjoy.

So now I do what I enjoy and often times I can get it published so I do get some beer money out of it.
>>
>>2706164
What do you do full time then, if you don't mind asking?
>>
>>2706185
print production, publishing
>>
I have a full time job, so I only do photography stuff part time.

I make about $2,000 a month at minimum (which, in my opinion, is pretty damn good for a part time job).

Next year I intend to have a lot more weddings booked, and more momentum on the commercial side, so I'm going to shoot for around $30k next year.

I do:
Commercial automotive photography (ad work)
Editorial work (auto and people)
Weddings
Portraits and family shit (i've done maternity photos, shit like that)

Really, if someone asks me to take photos of something, and are willing to pay my rates, I'll do it.
>>
Huh? I thought we'd be all pros here. I personally create art photography and I have several contracts with large publishers, which sell my photography books. But the main money - I admit - I make with a print on demand company, which sells unreasonably large prints mostly to commercial clients (hotels, hospitals, furniture stores etc.). The rest is money from exibitions and galleries. It's a good life.
>>
I'm attempting to make money in the music scene. It's a terrible idea because all the bands are broke and are perfectly OK with their gf taking "amazing" pictures for them. I'm moving on to video because I can actually make money there.
>>
>>2706291
How?
>>
>>2706351
How what?
>>
Dedicated hobbyist, I would like to make money one day, I feel like the issue is more me not knowing how to market myself than anything. Not saying I take perfect photos or whatever
>>
Posted this in the Questions Thread - >>2706386

How do you guys figure out what to charge? I've been approached by Scholastic to use an old photo of mine (re: not even close to my best work).

>Licensing is requested for North American print, plus electronic use for a term of ten (10) years*, including digital delivery of the final product (which may include, but is not restricted to, tablets, mobile, in-context social media, and other content delivery platforms). All platforms and uses MUST be described as cited above and acknowledged in the invoice licensing terms. Unit runs will encompass all platforms.
>>
>>2706409
Don't overcharge, especially if it's not a photo you're particularly proud of. I love it a lot more when magazmagazines approach me saying "we pay $200 for this, do you accept?" it makes things so much easier. In your case I would just ask for a few hundred dollars because if you ask for more they'll likely find one of ten million photos that look similar from someone else who will give it to them for chump change.
>>
>>2706413
I have a tendency to undervalue myself. I'm utterly stoked they thought it good enough to put in a publication. She didn't give an amount, if so, I would have happily accepted it. I've written back saying whatever she finds fair is fine. It's basically a snapshot and if I get a few buck for it, it's money that I didn't have. (It'd be great to have a bit as I just bought a new lens.) Funny how life works.
>>
>>2706291
Link pls
>>
how do you guys approach magazines for editorial works? I'd love to sell my street photos but don't know how to start.
>>
>>2706570

You could send them an introductory letter and your portfolio, but that'll never work. No one wants your snapshits, and I can't think of a single magazine that accepts cold calls.
>>
I have a kijiji ad that says I'll take portraits at reasonable prices and I get a bite about every second weekend, but through the week I'm just a security guard at an art college.

Don't do visual effects in college kids, you'll end up at an art school like me.

Actually this job is great, full benefits weekends off and I just browse twitter all day.
>>
Do it for fun on the weekends. Picked up my girlfriend's D40 that she stopped using and got a Tamron 70-300 and I check out new nature spots and photograph birds and wildlife. I'm a full time Systems QA Analyst
>>
>>2706570
Contact the editor. You can usually find the name on the masthead of the magazine. But it can be soul destroying because often times they wont even bother to answer an e-mail. So phone them first. They'll tell you to send an e-mail with an outline of the story so they can ignore that.

>outline of the story

Yes, you'll stand a better chance if you can provide them with images AND text. It's much easier for them to find images to go with a story than it is to find a compelling story to go with a set of images so it's less work for them.

> compelling story

Yes, compelling and well written. Street photographers are ten-a-penny in every major city. What is special and unique about what you do?
>>
>>2706559
trolldaydreams.com
>>
>>2706409
Use this: http://www.gettyimages.com/pricecalculator/sb10069475ab-001
>>
>>2706589
I CAN DREAM
>>
Goddamn, this whole time I just thought OP's pic was some 2015 hipster trying to evoke a bygone era.

Lo and behold I'm a fucking idiot and now I want to fuck someone's grandma.
>>
>>2706589
Sonny, just because YOU are not able to reach anything, don't think this would be valid for others.

I'm sure you think it's all the world's fault and it is unfair and you don't have any chance, because cronyism and market manipulation and winner-takes-it-all-effect and blablablabla. But I tell you one truth about you: You don't want to become successful at all. Because you are comfortable with your life. You are afraid of change and you have rather your illusions than the (maybe disappointing) reality.

Have fun in your cave, kid.
>>
>>2706589

Also I take it in the butthole
>>
I spend a lot of money on my photography, does that count?
>>
>>2706656
Absolutely :3+

I too spend a lot on gear, but I feel I've reached the limit.
>>
I often get told I should and have received many offers, but I can't think of much worse than doing this for pay. People already feel entitled when I gift then free shit, I can't image what it would be like if I actually owed them something.

>my gear is paid for with the happiness it brings me
>>
>>2706637
>Sonny
lol

>You are afraid of change and you have rather your illusions than the (maybe disappointing) reality.
rofl

your babble is meaningless hot air without a link to your work, if you're so good you should be proud of it
>>
>>2706100
No money. Just funsies.
>>
>>2706100
yes.
i buy and sell lenses for profit.
:^)
>>
>>2706776
How's that going? I've been considering doing this for a while. It's not hard to pick up good condition lenses for cheaper than they normally go for on eBay.
>>
>>2706782
depends on your local market.
which i'm selling to.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.