[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a problem I need some advice on: So I did a shoot with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1002.jpg (43 KB, 424x283) Image search: [Google]
1002.jpg
43 KB, 424x283
I have a problem I need some advice on:
So I did a shoot with a fashion designer last week, as a fun collaboration. It was meant to be a super informal shoot, and the most attention it would get would just be sharing it on our own websites.
I find out after the shoot, he has an entire brand and now wants to submit my work to magazines for his Fall/Winter campaign (which he did not mention before the shoot)

This is great and all , but this changes the situation as I did not agree for him to use my photos as a means of advertising on third party platforms, and would typically charge a client for this.
Have I fucked myself over too much up to this point to ask for money?
Because of how informal it was, I figured I didn't need for him to sign a contract.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
PhotographerSal Burciaga
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:03:04 17:05:16
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length25.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width424
Image Height283
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
>>
>>2702697
>Have I fucked myself over too much up to this point to ask for money?

not at all. he can't even use your likeness without you signing a release. and hence, agreeing on a price.
>>
>>2702698

Uh, pretty sure op is a photographer, and he's totally fucked.
>>
fuckkkkk
>>
>>2702699
you're right and i'm a retard, lol. i blame the whiskey. anyway...

i'm not convinced OP is boned. try to get said designer to sign a license of rights for photography and come to a price.

said fashion designer is one sneaky fuck.
>>
>>2702699
That makes the copyright for the images his own, no?

>>2702697
> Have I fucked myself over too much up to this point to ask for money?
No, just inform him / her that you generally like his idea, but that unlike with noncommercial use on private web pages when such use was agreed on prior, you charge for commercial use of photos (give a fair quote).
>>
Not at all, you took the shots, you have the copyright.

"oh you want to use these commercially, that's fantastic, my fee is £500 per photo." that's all that needs to be said.

You'll either come out richer, or he'll have to find a photographer he can afford. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lured you into a "fun day shooting models".
>>
>>2702791
>He knew exactly what he was doing when he lured you into a "fun day shooting models".

This. It's the equivalent of a guy offering free enchants because he's skilling it up, then asking for a contribution when you're at the trade window.

Don't feel bad in the slightest. That's his plan - to have you let it slide by a combination of feel-bad and convenience. He's a sleazy asshole

Simply tell him that for a commerical work you require a contract and a fee. Do not budge. Remind him that the copyrights are yours even if he has been given copies of the photos.

If he agrees to pay you, that's great. He probably won't though, because he was always trying to fool you into releasing those photos for free/cheap.

If he's professional, he'll simply tell you there won't be a deal. That's it. Don't reply. He's gonna go find a cheaper photograph

Chances are he's not professional (or he thinks he can still fool you). He may try playing the guilt card or offer to pay you a third or whatever. Do not budge. If he pulls any of that shit, you reply, don't adress his offers, just cite the relevant copyright laws, and inform him that you will press charges if he uses the photos without your permission, and restate your fee.
>>
OP you might have found a friend in this guy, and do you really want to ruin this blossoming relationship over some materialistic craving?
>>
Attach a price and if he doesn't want to pay he isn't a friend of yours because he'd know, being a fashion designer and all, that your photography isn't free shit and exposure dollars.

He's getting free business out of you and that's pretty schemey.
>>
>>2702817
>quirky and nerdy analogy
>h a h a h a h a h a
>>
Hey OP, are you still here? What was the outcome?
>>
>>2702697
Since he's a fashion designer you should probably just smash his face in because he's a gay.

non4chan answer

Give him a decent price for the set as you're partially to blame for no fully fleshing out details.
An informal shoot to me means I get to wear boardshorts, it doesn't me I don't get paid.
>>
>>2702697
ask for money so you can buy something other than a rabal
>>
Update: So I saw him at work the next day, and instead of having a full on discussion he addressed my immediate concern in passing, and understood that I would not be ok with my work being featured on third party platforms without some $$, so the photos are being shown on just my own website and thats that...so far..
Appreciate everyone's advice here.
>>
>>2705651
>he doesn't want to pay you money
go back and beg to get it published.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.