[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm fairly good at Photoshop. If you tell me to change something,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11
File: gFYxkI0.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gFYxkI0.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
I'm fairly good at Photoshop. If you tell me to change something, I can do it. You need to tell me what to do though. How can I get better at looking at a photo and realizing what I need to do to make it look better?
>>
You don't, if you need ps, just delete the shit and go to take a normal picture
>>
>>2701404
I'm editing photos a friend took right now. She's doesn't consider herself a photographer, but she would like her photos to look better. I'll post the original and how I edited it. Hopefully you can give me feedback.
>>
File: SETisE4.jpg (612 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
SETisE4.jpg
612 KB, 2448x3264
Original
>>
File: 3FTwbJh.jpg (947 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
3FTwbJh.jpg
947 KB, 2448x3264
>>2701407
I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I did auto color, then changed the contrast, gamma correction, selected the clouds, and history brushed to the original clouds.
>>
File: QbJJaFr.jpg (884 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
QbJJaFr.jpg
884 KB, 3264x2448
Original
>>
File: 8Tl5uZ4.jpg (999 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
8Tl5uZ4.jpg
999 KB, 3264x2448
>>2701409
This one I didn't use any automatic editing techniques. Instead choosing hue, saturation, vibrance, etc on my own. I feel like I just make a shitty high contrast photo. I know good photography eliminates necessary editing, but I want to be good at editing.
>>
>>2701408

The original picture was a bit dull but this is too far the other way and looks garish. Less is more.
>>
>>2701408
>I'm fairly good at Photoshop
>I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing
So which one is it? I can tell you now that you are not good at photoshop, but yes it's clear that you don't know what you're doing. These edits are fucking horrible...
>>
>>2701408
>>2701410
Pfahaha/10
>>
>>2701413
I know where the tools are, what they do, and how to use them.

Think of it as someone who knows how to play an instrument, but doesn't know how to compose, or an athlete who doesn't know how to coach.

I'm not looking for instructions on how to use photoshop, I'm looking for direction on how I should achieve a good desired result.
>>
>>2701411
How would you suggest developing that taste or vision necessary to know when my editing has gone too far?

>>2701414
I know it's cool to be very harsh on /p/, and I'm aware the post editing sucks. I came from image manipulation for fun to something more serious. I'd appreciate a little more feedback that could help me develop myself. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep sucking. /p/ usually seems like the least helpful board.
>>
>>2701398

could you please help decipher the writing here?

>>2701370
>>
>>2701424
You're more like someone who thinks you know how to play an instrument, because you know where the toot toot buttons are.
>>
>>2701428
For starters, consider everything you would do, and only do 10% of that.

Then, read books, look at photos of other people, and take more photos yourself.
Look at stuff, and think about why you want to photograph it. Is it the lighting, composition, etc.
Develop a picture in your head, how you want it to look. Then, set your camera to get close to that look. After that, check it out on your PC and see what's still missing. Fix that in post.
>>
>>2701407
Chapultepec, been there, took the same photo, sadly
>>
File: Dead_Alive_Small.jpg (229 KB, 748x342) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Alive_Small.jpg
229 KB, 748x342
I made a dead chick kawaii in under 10 minutes.

>Your move, OP.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width750
Image Height342
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:05:20 15:40:04
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width748
Image Height342
>>
File: StCgryF.jpg (991 KB, 2600x2061) Image search: [Google]
StCgryF.jpg
991 KB, 2600x2061
Knowing the use of multiple functions of photoshop doesn't make you good at photoshop, it just means you have technical knowledge. Like you said, you know how to use the instrument but don't have a fucking clue what you're doing, hence you're shit.

But none of that matters because being good at something comes from having a range or bredth of knowledge rather than just depth, and you have no idea on that either.

Going from your examples you just played around until you had something you thought looked more dramatic when in reality it just looked like a badly photoshopped photo, which is exactly what it was.

The best thing you can do is buy a cheap camera and learn how to take good photos from an artistic point of view, or learn to paint. Those will teach you artistic, compositional and technical rules and guides which you can use to achieve something good in photoshop instead of the unskilled mess you're doing now.

If you want a shitty miss-the-point answer, then find the best thing about the photo and highlight it. In the building it's the contrast of the stones, and the feeling of being inside looking out. To achieve those you might put more tone and contrast in the sky so it looks more overbearing and you feel safer looking out, you might remove saturation or go monochrome with the building tones, etc. Don't just adjust sliders and see what happens.

For the second pic, the best feature is the lighting and the worst is the lack of contrast. You ignored both of these and played with the colours again.

tl;dr stop being an idiot in photoshop might help
>>
>black and white it
>its good

Easy, op.
>>
>>2703847
Pretty kek. Should probably touch up her closed eye to make it look not as odd. Can you give her duck lips too?
>>
File: fotoshop meme.jpg (60 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
fotoshop meme.jpg
60 KB, 1000x1000
Hey would you please be so nice to replace the grey in the background and in the letters to black, i'm really bad at photoshop but i'm just gonna ask and try here.
>>
>>2701398
does your name start with K
>>
File: here_you_go_faggot.jpg (145 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
here_you_go_faggot.jpg
145 KB, 1000x1000
>>2703994
kinda late, but whatev

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:11:16 20:17:42
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
>>
File: image5.jpg (978 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image5.jpg
978 KB, 1936x1936
u can do whatever u want to Punchy, lets see wat u got
>>
File: dsc_0337.jpg (1 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0337.jpg
1 MB, 2464x1632
>>2705212
if u need more....

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareVer.1.01
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern860
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:07:20 18:18:03
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2464
Image Height1632
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used200
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeMANUAL
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested200
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations10144
Digital Vari-ProgramPORTRAIT
>>
>>2703847
what the fuck is that original pic from?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.