[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hope you guys can help me. Long story short I was a lazy shut-in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG-20151107-WA0012.jpg (137 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151107-WA0012.jpg
137 KB, 900x1600
I hope you guys can help me. Long story short I was a lazy shut-in and now I started a simple project of mine where every weekend I go somewhere instead of staying home eating and playing vidya.
Now, this "project" involved taking lots of photos to build a book of new places I visited and so on... so I decided to get a new, "real", camera.
I got a Samsung NX3000 and started fooling around.
Guys, I'm no expert, but I feel like my Nexus 5 is a WAY better instrument for the random "tourist". My English is not good so I hope I explained myself better, I'll try to add a list to explain myself further:

Pros of using my cellphone
>more brilliant colours
>more ease of use
>more lightweight
>quicker to get shots (it literally took me 26 seconds to configure my Manual settings to get a decent shot of water and another time I lost a beautiful shot of a bird because he flew away well before I finished setting settings)
Pros of using a "real" camera
>looks like a "real" camera so... well, not actually a pro but I didn't know what to say.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>2700000
Firstly, good on you for at least keeping an open mind about the matter.
When you use the manual setting, you need to know what you're doing. However, when you combine manual (or more likely aperture priority in everyday usage) and RAW files, you give yourself the ability to achieve results tailored to your exact desires - whereas your smartphone makes a whole lot of guesses about what you want. Your Nexus will give you a decent-looking, moderately sharp photo that is probably well-exposed, but its versatility pales in comparison to your new camera.

So, my advice
>more brilliant colours
This is largely a matter of post-processing. Get Photoshop and Lightroom, or GIMP and Rawtherapee or some equivalent combination.
>more ease of use
>more lightweight
Naturally, at a loss of features. If you read the manual for your new camera it won't be hard to use.
>quicker to get shots
As I said, use aperture priority. It's much better for quick daytime use, whereas manual is essential for night-time or really unusual exposures.

I'd recommend you learn about exactly what 'aperture', 'shutter speed', 'exposure bias' and 'dynamic range' mean and how they interact. Once you have those concepts internalised, you'll have a better time.
>>
>>2700004
>I'd recommend you learn about exactly what 'aperture', 'shutter speed', 'exposure bias' and 'dynamic range' mean and how they interact.
But is it worth it? I just want to take pictures of places I visited not creating "art".
>>
>>2700007
That's the sort of question only you can answer. Good luck!
>>
>>2700008
Sorry if I am not clear and thank you for answering me. I'll try to be clear.
I got a NX3000 because they told me it was a good compromise between a smartphone and a reflex.
Now my question is... does a comprimes exist between a camera and the NX 3000?
>>
File: SAM_1359.jpg (2 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1359.jpg
2 MB, 5472x3648
I have a NX1000 and a nexus 4, so I can give you a few comparisons.

> cell phone full-auto in perfect conditions is almost as good as any DSLR with kit lens at full auto
whenever I sell something online, I always take my photos with my phone, since the buyer usually doesn't need to know more than what color the item is and if it has scratches, etc. Also, directly to dropbox.
the differences start appearing when you want to take actually good photos. First off, the bokeh (focal depth) of cell phones is tailored for extremely boring all-roundness. All of your photo is somewhat in focus, creating almost no artistic value.

> non-perfect situations
Your phone will create extreme digital noise. And it won't focus properly. Or flood everything with flash.

Do as I did: buy a m42 converter and CHEAP old lenses. As an eastern europoor, I got myself a Carl Zeiss 135mm for 5€, some old soviet helios ones etc. Why?
> glass is always more important than the body
The stock lens on the NX1000 is absolutely garbage. I think yours is the same, but with OIS. It is dark as fuck, has no decent aperature, doesn't focus at close and doesn't zoom far. the 30+ year old soviet lenses perform so much better than the brand new samsung garbage. I got myself a set of macro lenses for a 4-pack of beer.

> you can set the camera on a tripod and fuck around with lights
endless fun.
Pic related, taken at 1am. That's not the sun, but a full moon. And yeah, it is quite bad, 2nd try in my life, but it was a lot of fun.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX1000
Camera Software01.15
Maximum Lens Aperturef/inf
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:08:30 01:15:57
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2700014
why cant u use use your new camera in auto mode? youll get the same ease of use as a phone with higher quality images.

if you didnt want to use the other features of your camera and didnt care about creating "art" then what was the point of buying a new camera, seems like your phone was fine for the job.
>>
>>2700086
>bought samsong camera
>complain it's shit
well now, you only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>2700000
You're doing it wrong, and don't understand the concept of a "real" camera.

To the extent that I'm pretty sure this is either a troll, or a misguided advertisement for the Nexus 5.
>>
>>2700107
it's funny because /p/ has pretty much zero concept about visual aesthetic, or art in general yet when your average /p/ user reaches that bare minimum threshold of "knowing" how to operate a camera, he immediately takes up on the persona of a patrician who is above it all. a bunch of posturing faggots. quite funny to watch.
>>
>>2700000
Biggest limitation beyond the sensor specific stuff for a phone camera is wake up speed versus how long it takes to open the camera app.

My camera is ready to shoot in milliseconds. It takes around 5 seconds for my camera app to be ready to shoot. That's plenty of time to lose the shot.
>>
>>2700104
did you even bother to read the whole post? Yes, the lens is shit, but the body is quite ok. Hell, it has a bigger sensor than any of the 2-digit Canons, nevermind any of the beginner DSLRs or compacts.

Already bought myself a Pentax. Mostly because I'm a grown man and the Samsung was just too tiny to handle. And it doesn't have a viewfinder. 40 years of k-mount means a million various and fun vintage lenses.
>>
>Guys why did I buy this baby grand piano?
My casio synth plays a cool backing track with one button which sounds much better than me using my actual hands.

How about getting off your lazy, entitled ass so you can learn and practice with your camera and processing.
>>
>>2700113
Not even sure what you're trying to say here, but buying a camera specifically allowing you to do the work yourself, and then complaining about the fact that you have to do the work yourself is pretty misguided and entertaining.

Using your cell phone is the equivalent of hiring a teenager to take a photo for you. He's okay at it, and does some processing, and does it well enough for istagram. Using a larger sensor ILC with manual controls and raw capabilities is you saying "No, I can do better, at every step of the process" and requires you to actually do better at every step of the process.

If you're not happy with that, you can turn your camera to auto mode, and let your camera do the work for you, but OP (you) didn't do that.

You decided to build your own house, and then tried to move into a haphazard pile of wood, metal, sheet rock, fixtures, and concrete wondering why there's a draft, and saying that people who build their houses are stupid.

A cell phone does not produce more brilliant colours. It just process the photo for you, automatically.

It's easier to use because it doesn't give you any control or options

It's lightweight because you don't have any features or ergonomics.

It's quicker to get shots because you don't know what you're doing, and you're using manual mode unnecessarily (and improperly)
>>
>>2700007
>But is it worth it? I just want to take pictures of places I visited not creating "art".
If your objective here is to document the places in the highest detail you can, yes those settings are worth it. Heck even the fully automatic mode on your new camera is better suited for the job than the Nexus is. However you are really wasting the capabilities of your camera if you are not at least trying to learn how it operates and what do all the settings do.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.