[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does a dslr need a screen? Why not just have a switch for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (546 KB, 960x711) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
546 KB, 960x711
Why does a dslr need a screen? Why not just have a switch for off, M, A, S, or P, and dials for iso, shutter, aperture, and ev comp? I'd use that camera.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:11:04 21:25:52
Color Space InformationUnknown
Image Width960
Image Height711
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Because instant review is one of the greatest revolutions in the history of photography.

Why don't you just turn the screen off?
>>
>>2699696
and a car doesn't need windows, roof, seatbelt, or radio, but that's really hard to find because people still like or need various features.
>>
>>2699698
>one of the greatest revolutions in the history of photography
>le chimping face
>>
>>2699696
One of the great advantages of a digital camera is the ability to check exposure immediately after taking a picture. Menu settings would be ridiculously irritating to change without a screen

>I'd use that camera
You might, but no company is stupid enough to removing a critical feature to satisfy a near nonexistent niche. It just doesn't make sense. If you want something like that, take up your screen, pitch your idea to investors, or crowdfund it.
>>
File: leica-m-edition-60-large.jpg (162 KB, 620x827) Image search: [Google]
leica-m-edition-60-large.jpg
162 KB, 620x827
>>2699703
uhhhh leica is stupid enough.
>>
>>2699701

You know "chimping" was coined as a pejorative phrase by some old faggot curmudgeon PJ in 2001 who said that digital would never take off, right?

Nigger shoots 100% digital now, and I guarantee he chimps like a motherfucker. You'd have to be a retard not to.
>>
>>2699705
Not that you can buy one of those. They did a tiny limited edition run and charged something ridiculous.
>>
>>2699706
i still think digital is just a fad
>>
Nuff said
>>
>>2699696
>need
They don't need them. Some people find them useful though.

Feel free to not buy one with a screen or not use the screen.
>>
>>2699696

DLSRs are tech objects like televisions and surround sound audio systems. The goal is to jam as much shit on there regardless of how useful/effective it is so you feel like a tech boss.
>>
>buy dslr with flippy/twisty screen
>snap off screen
>profit
>>
>>2699696
Menu's.

Also video.
>>
>>2699696
Just disable automatic playback.
And just don't chimp.

What's the matter? no self control?
>>
>>2699696
I'd buy a screenless DSLR if it'd mean a more lightweight, less fat camera.

If you'd really want to review photos on such a camera, you could make a smartphone app to do that remotely over wifi.
>>
File: Sony-QX100-right.jpg (118 KB, 1200x864) Image search: [Google]
Sony-QX100-right.jpg
118 KB, 1200x864
>>2699771
Do it faggot
>>
File: olympuscamera.jpg (64 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
olympuscamera.jpg
64 KB, 640x459
>>2699774
are you talking to me?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width960
Image Height557
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:02:13 09:22:55
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width640
Image Height459
>>
>>2699771
most ppl will want a screen on their shit
>>
>>2699696
All the drawbacks of film, with all the drawbacks of digital! Nicely done!
>>
>>2699801
Actually I see it as the opposite, best of both worlds. The shitty thing about film is dealing with the film- developing, accidentally exposing it, etc. Controlling and shooting a film camera vastly beats digital, though. So you get the convenience of digital images with the superior mechanics of a film camera. It's win-win.
>>
>>2699814
>the superior mechanics of a film camera

How does not having a screen give you "superior mechanics"?

How are you going to navigate menus?
>>
>>2699824
Prepare yourself for a heavy slice of personal issues, and a side order of totally subjective reasoning disguised as obvious fact.
>>
File: 1439540359347.gif (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1439540359347.gif
3 MB, 350x197
>>2699814
>The shitty thing about film is dealing with the film
You're right, the cost is an issue.
>Developing
That's not an issue, it's part of the process and takes very little time. Feel free to tell me a situation when you need your pictures in less than 2 hours that doesn't require you being a photojournalist or a guy who shoots ID shots.
>accidentally exposing it
Are you retar--
>you get the convenience of digital images with the superior mechanics of a film camera
--Oh. You are, okay. Sorry m8, didn't expect you to be physically and mentally disabled.
The only convenience would be the ability to have your photos in less than two hours to post to your facebook/instagram/twitter. Only now you have a whole load of dials, or just a point and shoot compact.

Congratulations, you've created something pointless in a world where camera phones can cost you less than £40.
>>
>>2699696
You don't have to use the screen at all. I hardly ever use mine and it doesn't even preview shots after I take them.
>>
>>2699824

I like screens, but they are not for navigating menus unless you have a babbycam.

If you own a grown-up camera, you should never need to access a menu under any normal shooting conditions.
I count 26 buttons and two wheels, and the top LCD and finder display for any data I need to know. what the fuck are menus good for at that point?

Screens are for histograms, etc. If you need them for menus, you need to buy an actual camera dude.
>>
>>2699993

You've never actually looked through a DSLR menu before, have you?
>>
>>2699999
The point he's making is that a decent DSLR will have all the buttons on it to access the common features quickly, so you don't have to go digging around in menus to change them.

Like a button to change white balance modes, for example, rather than having to go through layers of menu to do so.
>>
>>2700001

>common features quickly

Yes, that's what buttons are for... and screens are for everything else.

Congratulations.
>>
>>2699706
>chimping during sports photography
>end up missing great shots because you were too busy masturbating your ego with your camera screen
>>
>>2700162
>If you own a grown-up camera, you should never need to access a menu under any normal shooting conditions.
Because time outs, replays, commercial breaks, halftime, fouls, huddle, and placement don't actually happen in sports, right?

Also, the statistical chance of the great shot of the game happening in the three seconds you look at the back of your camera are pretty slim. And it's better to miss a single shot to be sure all your other photos are exposed correctly than it is to get the shot, but have every single thing you take be fucked because you refused to use the single best feature your DSLR has to offer.
>>
>>2700001
Heaven forbid you ever consider fine tuning custom functions or auto modes. Formatting your card? how about looking at your histogram to see how blown your highlights are?

If you're a serious photographer taking shots that matter, you're using your screen. If you're a fucking asshole who shoots to brag about how you shoot, then yeah, ditch the screen for bragging rights. Just turn it of and tape over it.
>>
>>2700165
>implying that you shouldn't take test shots before the game
>implying the lighting conditions during a 3 hour football game in an artificially lit stadium change often
>>
>>2700172
An evening game starting with direct sunlight fading to night lit by just stadium lights?
You know how you can spot people who dictate technique based on what they think the job might be like, rather than personal experience? They say shit like that.

Also, with lightning turn-around times for publications, you don't really have time to wait to see what your photos look like after you get home, load all your 2000 shots, and look through all of them. If an awesome moment happens, and then the game stops, you check your screen to see if you caught the moment, and if you did, you flag it, so that when you get to your laptop, you can go straight to it and send it out knowing it's fine. Also, again, while play is stopped, why would you fucking NOT?
>>
I want a dslr with a slim eInk display only showing histograms.
>>
i have an idea, maybe a DSLR with a well-designed NFC system that allows you to display the shot on your phone if you so choose, or use it as a portable screen while the DSLR removes bulk saves battery life by not having an LCD
>>
>>2700201

Sony QX1.
>>
>>2700207
that's pretty neat
>>
>>2700208
olympus air is better
>>
>>2700207
They just need to make one that is not rounded, with a grip accessory that adds bigger battery and a SD card slot and a smart hot shoe for EVF.
>>
>>2700231

Tiny cameras always mean that ergonomics are shit when you use any lens bigger than a 50 1.8.
>>
>>2700165
>you refused to use the single best feature your DSLR has to offer.
The ability to post and send an image to someone in under a minute since it was taken?
The screen isn't too important at all. The best thing it's used for is the settings menu.
>>
>>2700250
Not tiny, full modular, something like the Alpa, but with the most advanced mirrorless tech.
>>
>I need the screen for muh features
What the fuck do you need features for? Scared of a bare bones camera?
>>
>>2699705
>uhhhh leica is stupid enough
yeah they are
>>
>>2700432

Bet your keyboard has the keys labeled, you filthy casual.
>>
>>2699850
>not wanting to spend the time developing photos means you're retarded
epic
>>
>>2701115
You might just be with that level of reading comprehension. Go back. Give it a re-read. Try and figure out what part of the comment would be aimed at calling someone retarded.

Clearly you seem to be the type of person who could accidentally expose an image.
>>
>>2701117
>person new at photography accidentally exposes their film
>"hurr durr ur retarded xd"
film fags are terrible tbqh
>>
>>2701156
When you're learning to use a camera, you will make mistakes and you will learn from those.

You're retarded if you continue to accidentally expose your images when you're at the stage when you're not using a lightmeter. Digiplebs are really the worst people on the earth if I'm brutally honest. Desperate to justify the purchase of their A7RII or 5DSr :^)
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.