[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
White Balance Auto vs Manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: _MG_4441.jpg (4 MB, 2848x4272) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4441.jpg
4 MB, 2848x4272
Newb here, with a practical question:
My white balance is always off in lightroom, and I find it annoying to set it. Can I set it to manual in the camera and apply a filter at import? Or is this is bad idea?
+ How do you set it on the camera? Always manually, or automatic?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 450D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:02 09:32:39
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2696206

Shoot RAW.
>>
Not sure where it's at on your model, but they'll be an area to set a custom white balance by taking a shot of a gray card and then selecting it as the basis for the white balance. Mines in the second list of camera setting after I hit menu, and then custom white balance and select the gray card photo. Then change the white balance to the custom setting, it looks like to triangles with a square in the middle. After that just shoot. Or you can shoot the gray card and then do the custom white balance in their, and then sync it to everything in that lighting.
>>
>>2696207
This. The auto white balance on my camera is usually pretty blue but it's incredibly easy to fix in post when you shoot RAW
>>
Yes! For me the auto balance is also really blue.
And I already shoot raw, but I am way too lazy to set it for every picture. I mean, if there is some black/white colour in the image it is of course easy, but most of the there isn't. + Usually the standard lightroom balance profiles don't look good either.
Therefore my question...
>>
>>2696234
You can select the profile the most correctly approximates the lighting situation and then move the temp and tint to pull it in to exactly where you want it. Once you get it perfect sync it across the selection of photos in the same lighting when your in Lightroom and they'd all be done.
>>
>>2696254

This. There are only so many possible color temps, and the presets (they aren't "profiles", per se) will get you most of the way there.

Post some pics with what you think is bad white balance and we'll help you out.
>>
For example here I had the blue balance. In this case the adjustment is easy. However I already have enough to do with all the other settings and don't want to adjust the whitebalance for each image...
Here is the raw: www dot filedropper dot com slash mg1920
>>
File: _MG_1920.jpg (5 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1920.jpg
5 MB, 4272x2848
Fucking link protection!

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 450D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:02 11:32:39
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2696270
You have a massive CA problem. It might be the biggest factor throwing off your white balance.
>>
A Jenafag!

Also, this >>2696207
>>
Haha! No, not really a Jenafag. Just holiday...
The fuck is CA?
>>
>>2696284
Chromatic aberrations
There are several types of it
Basically the lens refractivivity is different for the different wavelength and the blue and red part of the image is rendered slightly offset. That is why you see blue, red and magenta outlines in your photo. Shooting in RAW and doing your own post processing can eliminate them to a certain degree, but using better lens is the proper way to get rid of them since it is inherently a lens problem. Google it if you want to know more
>>
>>2696284
Chromatic Aberration. It's colored fringing around the details of the photograph.
>>
Ah. I know Chromatic Aberrations, just didn't know the acronym.
But this should not have any influence on the white balance though. (?)
>>
>>2696294
Anything affecting the color balance especially in the highlights can affect white balance.
>>
So manual white balance then?
>>
>>2696302
Shoot RAW, it has already been said!
>>
I already wrote that I am shooting in RAW...
>>
>>2696307
So why are you still debating on it? Put it on Auto WB and correct it in post.
>>
>>2696307
Then just fix it in post. Fuck.
>>
That's my whole point! I don't want to change it in post, because it is really anoying...
>>
>>2696325
Then it is simple. Just give up photography and sell off your gear to someone who appreciates this hobby.
>>
>>2696325
Why not get a gray card like mentioned above then and keep it with you to get the correct custom white balance for the scene then? That way you can set it in camera and then just shoot on that white balance setting until your done with the area.
>>
>>2696325
Or adjust the kelvin setting and tint in camera off of the nearest preset and save it as one of the user preset white balances if you don't want to carry a card.
>>
>>2696284
Why would you spend your holidays in Jena? It's not really that nice of a city. Weimar or Erfurt are better.
>>
>>2696391
Just visiting friends, I know that's something you won't understand...
>>
>>2696412
What an ungrateful little shitbag you are. We are trying to help you, and you don't even say a thanks, instead you start insulting. I bet you are not even european, just a shitskin dogturd muslim.
How do you like that you little piece of shit, hmm?
>>
>>2696412
>>>2696391
kek
>>
>>2696419
Hahaha! You know what the funny thing is? I am a muslim from Afghanistan. I stole a camera from a rich guy in Berlin, and now I am touring through Germany and taking nudes of unsupecting teenagers. Afterwards I rape them of course!
And in the end my German and English are probably still better than what you will ever be able to speak...
>>2696329
That's maybe not a bad idea. I will look into that.

Thanks for (some of) the suggestions by the way!
>>
>>2696210
is it enough to just print out a grey card and take a picture of that?
>>
>>2696270

Aside from the chromatic aberration, this actually looks okay. Maybe a little warm, but it's not bad.
>>
>>2696455
If you print it out on a perfectly calibrated printer that's not some consumer piece of shit, then yeah, that's fine. If you don't have a custom profile though, then you're wasting your time, and may as well keep eye-balling it.

Gray cards aren't expensive...
>>
>>2696458
where can I buy one?
>>
File: random-mayhem-760-NO001-55.jpg (77 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
random-mayhem-760-NO001-55.jpg
77 KB, 550x550
>>2696461
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gray+card+for+sale

Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width550
Image Height550
>>
>>2696464
I meant what kind of stores obviously (department stores, supermarkets, specialized camera stores etc.)
>>
>>2696458
Yeah! Doesn't seem like it. Though can you maybe recommend a manufacturer?
>>
Really though, you're making this much more difficult than it needs to be. The two pictures you posted have good white balance, if not a little bit warm. If anything needs adjustment, it's you and your eye.
>>
File: 1422753199464.png (349 KB, 959x538) Image search: [Google]
1422753199464.png
349 KB, 959x538
>>2696444
It sure is nice having good friends that can't track people. You will see your 72 virgins in prison ;)
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.