[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just bought a Nikon D7100. This is my first DSLR. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: images(2).jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
8 KB, 300x168
So I just bought a Nikon D7100. This is my first DSLR. I'm fairly new at photography as a hobby. Is this too much camera for a newb?
>>
No camera is to much for a noob.

Heres the only advice you need, don't come back to /p/ until you've shot your first 10k frames, you don't need these dicks ruining your early experiences.

Oh also, don't be a gear fag. Nice gear is nice, buy when it comes down to it, you're taking the photo.
>>
>>2715967
what this guy said times 5

come back when you are confident enough to post a few photos, then get ready to be harshly criticized, learn from it and repeat

my other tips:
>Go look at other/find pictures/photographers that you like and try out different styles, you never know if you like people portraits or landscapes more

>Avoid facebook and social media sites, they are most likely to not give you any advice, but instead, give you dis-honest praise, instead of lessons. People there tend to be too polite and just say "what a lovely picture" instead of "your picture of the sunset is cliche and too fucking blown out"

>You can read up on as many books/vlogs/tutorials all you want, but the best way to learn is to take photos, so take tons of them

>For the love of god, avoid watermarks
>>
>>2715981
Why avoid watermarks. Won't people just steal your work if you don't add "My Name Photography" at the bottom?
>>
>>2715981
What are your thoughts on using Photoshop? I personally enjoy adding a little digital enhancement to my shots. Do pros consider this cheating?
>>
>>2715983
adding "My Name Photography" isnt going to stop anyone from saving your photo

unless you are doing professional shoots or commercial photography as free advertising, i highly suggest not to use watermarks, especially on ametuer snapshits, because itll just end up making you look snobbish and pretentious
>>
>>2715984
photographers a century ago enhanced their photos, editing images isnt a new phenomenon

i heavily edit each of my photos, so i say yes, learn to use photoshop/gimp properly

whether its "cheating" or not is subjective to other people, stop caring about what they think for a while and just try get to a point where you are satisfied with where you are and what you are doing with photography
>>
>>2715989
Solid advice
>>
>>2715984
Saying photoshop is cheating is like saying painters can only use certain types of brushes to make paintings. If the results are pleasing, its a good photo.

Now go out, and shoot like a mad bastard. See you next spring.
>>
>>2715989
>i heavily edit each of my photos
hack
you shouldnt need to edit anything but exposure tweeks and slight color tweeks. if you cant shoot with proper composition and technique dont pretend you can. all your photos are probably oversaturated as fuck and under exposed
>>
File: images(3).jpg (18 KB, 283x178) Image search: [Google]
images(3).jpg
18 KB, 283x178
>>2716005
Is this alright?
>>
>>2716016
honestly almost as bad as i imagined
altho i also imagined explicit adherence to le law of thirds
>>
>>2716018
Do you mind posting something of yours so I can see what a pro shot looks like?
>>
File: .jpg (388 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
388 KB, 1280x960
>>2716023
>>
>>2716033
lel thats not mine and i dont need to post anything to validate my point. my statements stand on their own merit
>>
File: _0~2.jpg (304 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
_0~2.jpg
304 KB, 1280x960
>>2716033
I touched it up a bit

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2015:12:05 22:03:25
Image Height960
Image Width1280
>>
>>2716036
thanks! mind if i save a copy?
>>
>>2716037
Make a T-shirt if you want
>>
>>2716016
>buys camera worth thousands of dollars
>makes images that look worse than a holga

my son what are you doing
>>
>>2716035
Criticizes everyone else but throws scarf over shoulder and walks away when asked to show his own work. Classic.
>>
>>2716039
It's called art. I don't expect people like you to get it.
>>
Not OP but a complete newbie as well. I got a D3300 though. A couple of questions, besides lens kit it was bundled with a Nikkor 50-200mm is that a decent lens?
How do you guys overcome the feeling of going out and shoot when you started?
Cheers /p/
>>
>>2716059
Shit, that second question was horribly stated but I hope you understood what I wanted to know.
>>
start with some basic tutorials, go out and shoot...that's all there is to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS95gz9cZNw
>>
>>2716059
it's a fine lens for what it is. meaning it's a cheap zoom, slow apertures. not as versatile as the 18-200 which is basically better in every respect. but not worth upgrading over immediately. it's sharp. good rendition for a zoom.

if i were getting a second lens it'd be a prime or wide zoom.
>>
Y'all niggas, troll thread etc...
>>
File: Untitled-11546456465.jpg (658 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-11546456465.jpg
658 KB, 1280x960
>>2716033

Used some of the tips by Ken Rockwell.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:12:06 11:07:08
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1280
Image Height960
>>
>>2715965
it's nice to start out with, look for sharp glass if you want anything more. Go to your local college and stop by the art department and ask around politely. They will be of more help then us.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.