[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buy books not gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
Hey p/tards what is the best photobook? Is Magnum Contact Sheets worth it? Is Walker Evans over/underrated? Share your thoughts

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height600
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
The newest edition of Magnum Contact Sheets is slightly smaller than the original for a fraction of the cost. I think I paid £35 for my copy, new. Definitely worth that.

If you're looking to branch into photobooks on a budget check out Phaidon's new 55 series. I have the Daido Moriyama one and it's pretty good. Good mix of photos with a bit of explanation. There are parts where an image is spread over two pages which I'm not a big fan of, but it's to be expected with a book of this size and price point. You should be able to find them on amazon where ever you are, but this is the UK shop: http://uk.phaidon.com/store/photography/new-format-55s/
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 260x260
Looks good! I'll definitely have a look at them. I recently got a copy of Magnum Magnum, really nice piece. I like about the more 'expensive' books (expensive = unlike pic attached) that they include good text, eg The Americans or the essays in Winogrand's SFMOMA

Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width260
Image Height260
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I got Salgado's Genesis last year and it's additive weight made my book shelf bend a bit.

As for price worthyness I've moved to buying books used off of Amazon based on where they were printed. US books from .com, Japanese books from .co.jp
>>
Gotta rep Bellamy Hunt's fav book, Exiles by Koudelka
>>
>>2708221

I took out contact sheets from the library and it was super awesome. If you shoot b&w, doubly so, as you get to see a direct comparison to their workflow.

It was amazing how much people edited down, and how little they cropped. Most of when they did crop was obvious, though. It was also interesting to see how, generally, the quality of shots they DIDN'T pick was still pretty high.

Also on the butt:
Uncommon Places is book I keep going back to.
Anything by Alec Soth is interesting because of the way he puts books together.
The Americans is also one of my favs.
>>
>>2708763
>Uncommon Places is book I keep going back
ty anon. i forgot i had to cop that. doing it as we speak.

>Anything by Alec Soth is interesting because of the way he puts books together.

did you see the last soth box they got out? its like his most prominent books, but in a tiny as fuck format (2 inches books). i think its pretty cute, would have purchased it, but it was too pricey for just a novelty.
>>
>>2708822
>too pricey

oh i recalled it wasnt because of that. it was because it didnt include dog days. i love that book.
>>
>>2708822

Holy shit, I haven't! It looks awesome! Shame about dog days, tho...
>>
>>2709008

i know rite ;_;

http://haveanicebook.com/book/dog-days-bogota/
>>
>>2708221
>Buy gooks not bear
>Guy nooks bot bear
>Buy nooks got bear

Ayy lmao
>>
bump, you literal illiterate faggots.

also
>>2708228
>£35

where? do they send overseas? ebay prices for contact sheets is about $90 including shipping, a bit too much
>>
File: mcs.png (359 KB, 476x594) Image search: [Google]
mcs.png
359 KB, 476x594
>>2711078

I paid $52.69 for the 2014 "small" edition, free shipping, at book depository.
>>
>>2711167

are you on the states? also is this small version still readable or images are fuck tiny
>>
>>2711177
I bought from book depository too, The book is still huge as fuck. Just not unweildly. A really good size. Book depository has free shipping worldwide and great prices. Definitely recomend contact sheets.
>>
>>2711167

its at $88 right now

JUST
>>
File: IMG_20151127_180846.jpg (71 KB, 720x687) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_180846.jpg
71 KB, 720x687
>>2711177
>>2711186

The book is still huge Anon.

GameShark time:

I'm from SouthAmerica, but for some reason checking TBD site from my phone makes almost all prices way lower. I'm a poorfag and is the only way to buy books for me.

Image Created2015:11:27 18:08:46
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
>>2711206

a friend checked at her phone and it's $88.
I'm blessed by the photobook gods?
>>
>>2711206

what country
>>
>>2711232
Chile
>>
>>2711240

m-me t-too

any email hookup?
>>
>>2711245

de maikel
>>
thank the photo gods for that att gift card. I got my copy of contact sheets for free.
>>
File: daido.jpg (56 KB, 424x500) Image search: [Google]
daido.jpg
56 KB, 424x500
>tfw almost 2 more months until release
>>
>>2711559

im not liking that cover
>>
>>2711560
why?
>>
>>2711563
>le sexy woman look at this woman le sexy you get it like art like tits le totally not objectifying lel
>>
>>2711567
holy shit fuck off
>>
>>2711570
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2711559
if you were based like me you would have asahi backissues where im guessing most of this stuff was already published
>>
>>2711167
>>2711177
>>2711185
>>2711206
>>2711208

It's £26.32 (less than $40) on UK Amazon atm, is this one of the incredibly rare examples of something actually being cheaper in the UK than the US?
>>
>>2711583

amazon doesnt get paypal. the fuckers.
>>
>>2711630
...so?
>>
My Dakota by Rebecca Norris Webb is fantastic. Right up there with Eggleston as far as subtle narrative goes imo.
>>
>>2711674
>as far as subtle narrative goes imo.

pls expand on this
>>
Any recommendations for educational books?
I've been shooting for a few years not very seriously but want to start.
Is Magnum Contact Sheets a good one to start with?
>>
>>2711709

depends on what you want to learn. mcs shows you how pros work. i think its an intermediate-advanced book, as in, you might not get it fully if youre a noob or youre not used to the concepts of editing or narrative.
>>
>>2711686
Subtle in the way that the photos aren't in themselves about death or loss for the most part, but you really get that sense of loneliness/grief/wandering from the book as a whole. That's hard as hell to pull off and those two photographers seem to be some of the best at it, for sure.
>>
>>2711709
'Street photography now' is a great start to get to know some photographers and styles. Educational books on photography theory you can't beat Time Life.

What about William Egglestone? I flipped through 'guide' but don't really get the pictures.
>>
>>2711714
>>2711847
Thanks a bunch guys
>>
>tfw no more space for photo and artbooks but still can't stop buying
>>
File: 9781597112024.jpg (41 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
9781597112024.jpg
41 KB, 400x430
>mfw pic related is $650
>mfw launch price was $52

J U S T F U C K
M
Y
S H I T

U
P

why even live, really
>>
>>2711955
>mfw the library has it

I should check this out
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-28-23-01-51.png (989 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-28-23-01-51.png
989 KB, 1440x2560
Here's a discount. Not sure what I'm going to get but
>>
File: IMG_3995.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3995.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1200
>>2711955
I've got a copy of the enclave at home, thought it was great but I only bought it for around €80 a few years back
>$460 used on amazon now
funniest thing is the only proof I can find is this picture which shows just how badly I treat all of my photobooks in general. They were only arranged like that for the picture otherwise they're left in a bookshelf which is one small saving grace

Horizontal Resolution320 dpi
Vertical Resolution320 dpi
>>
>>2712166

get alexander gronsky norilsk. shits top stuff.
>>
bump. faggots.
>>
File: Cartier-Bresson-book-01toned3.jpg (385 KB, 900x1146) Image search: [Google]
Cartier-Bresson-book-01toned3.jpg
385 KB, 900x1146
I waited so long for this damn book to get reprinted that I even managed to plan a trip to Paris and visit the HCB museum all while the book was still on preorder. I'm so glad I finally have it, it's really a great book.

Also the Nick Brandt On This Earth/A Shadow Falls/Across the Ravaged Land trilogy is really powerful stuff, that's another favorite of mine. I haven't bought a new book in a while, though.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2015-03-27T19:09:33-07:00
Image Width900
Image Height1146
>>
>>2713202
Hey if I was thinking of getting this book, im kinda new to buying books, I know when they run out of prints the price goes up crazy, should i look into getting this book asap? Or should i not be to worried about this edition going out of price any time soon.
>>
>>2713219
Well the first edition was printed in 1952 and those books go for like $500 up to several thousand, this reissue wasn't released until 2014. I have no idea how many more books are left in this printing run, maybe there are a lot, but unless you're very patient you may not want to miss it this time.
>>
>>2708221
Walker Evans literally changes the course of American photography post-documentary.
>>
>>2711955
>$650 for a book on memefrared photography
>>
>>2708221
>>2708763
I looked at the contact sheets in a book store and I wasn't too crazy about them. Most times I thought they picked the worse picture. Usually they pick the blurry ones or the ones with with the least interesting subject. They do pick ones with better composition then I ever could though. I admit it is pretty much essential even if you don't agree with their choices. It's also fun trying to guess which one you would pick and see what they actually chose.

Walker Evans in my opinion has amazing portraits but his architectural shots are awful. From the pictures it looks like he had only a telephoto lens which might be the case for most people shooting large format at that time. That is what it looks like to me which makes sense since telephotos are great for portraits and not so great for architecture or at least the way he did it.

I usually stay away from photo books or photos by other people in general. I'd rather look at something awful I took than something great someone else took.
>>
Wildlife requiem is a great book.
>>
>>2715013
>I'd rather look at something awful I took than something great someone else took.

so if you were a musician you'd rather only listen to your shitty playing than enjoying music like normal people? you'd stick to only eat your own shitty food rather than others people dishes? lol your life must be constant pain.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.