[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pentax raw format advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: IMGP0821.jpg (5 MB, 9160x3080) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0821.jpg
5 MB, 9160x3080
What's up /p/, this is my first post, dont be hard with me.
So I need some help, I own a Pentax K-50 (highly recomended as first dslr) and I have problems, when I shoot in raw, which I always used in my old Nikon d40x, the colors seem to be faded and totally gone (see pic) and I do not know what this must be. And honestly I love raw, but I hate to have to make all the adjustements that the camera is suposed to do, as my Nikon did, it makes me feel too lazy to edit one by one more than 200 pics.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-50
Camera SoftwareSILKYPIX(R) Developer Studio 3.0.0.11 LE
PhotographerElias Laredo
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:11:13 19:49:10
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
>>2703701
>but I hate to have to make all the adjustements that the camera is suposed to do
...You do not understand raw. The camera is doing exactly what it should be doing.
>>
Well I did not choose my words very good, but what I'm trying to say, how come is so different? do you mean it has no processing? meaning then that .nef files are actually processed but in a raw format?
>>
File: hi_five_pentax.png (16 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_pentax.png
16 KB, 493x402
>>2703701
>4.66 MB
first off please resize your pics i realize you want us to see the pics in detail but 9000px is excessive.

Ok, I own the K-50 and love it to death, but go through the menu and shut off all the post-production features. They take up time, battery power, and they don't do anything you can't do later in post.

>no highlight correction
>no shadow correction
>neither of the two types of noise reduction
>no color aberration correction
>no geometric aberration correction
finally, check your "custom image tone" setting. i leave mine on natural, the factory default for most shooting settings is "bright". that's the setting you probably want to change - you have several preset options but also you can make your own.

it's almost definitely not that your pentacks is creating dull images, it's probably that your old nikon was playing tricks and spicing up the shots for you. i had a lot of wake-up calls like this when i went from my p&s camera to my K-50. the p&s was doing noise reduction, gain boostin, color boosting, etc without my consent.

also, always love to meet another pentax bro, especially a K-50 bro!
>>
>>2703708
he's shooting raw. None of those features affect raw files.
>>
Interesting, well thank you so much kind sir! I did not know all that, then do you recommend me to shoot in jpg and leave raw for special pictures? I apreciate your kindness. The thing is that I like RAW because all of its posibilities, but when I first saw those results in raw, which I was not used to, it let me down a little bit, it is a lot of effort and I dont have much time. What is your choice?
>>
>>2703710
If you are going to edit your photos, you want to start with a low contrast flat image, so that you have all the information to work with. If you do not have time (or the inclination) to edit your photos, shoot JPEG.

Compromise, shoot flat RAW, and do all the auto toning and auto color that PS/LR provides.
>>
File: IMGP8875_Fotor_Collage.jpg (174 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8875_Fotor_Collage.jpg
174 KB, 1000x750
>>2703709
but they do anon! it's not destructive, but they do effect the RAW files.

just took all these pics RAW with different color tone settings in my Pentacks. the other features (lens distortion, the types of noise reduction) also take a long time and change the RAW (.DNG) output

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1000
Image Height750
>>
>>2703711
Thanks, amigo, I use the Silkypix software that comes with the camera, I know it is no miracle tool, but it is way simpler than Lr and more than enough for me.
>>
>>2703713
Now are you saying that color tone settings made in the camera (bright, natural and all that) actually affect the raw file??? I don't get it
>>
>>2703715
I'm >>2703708
and >>2703713

They effect the RAW file yes, but not it's non-destructive/non-permanent. Even the B&W color tone setting can be changed back to color in post. However, it will effect the initial look of your RAW file. If you want your colors to be brighter to begin with set it to "bright" or one of the other settings if you like. Or just spice it up in post like most people.
>>
>>2703716

but that's wrong.
>>
>>2703716
Now I understand, thank man, you really helped me, and I was concerned, now I only have to get used to the editing software of Pentax, I was used to Nikon's Capture, but I saw the wonderful K-50 and fell in love!
Thank you to all the rest, too, it is impresive that only in roughly 30 minutes I got this much help and advice! Danke, Thanks, Gracias, Gracie, Obrigado
>>
>>2703718
Yeah Silkypix is a little unruly but you'll get the hang of it. I use Aperture (which I guess is similar to Lightroom) and I find it faster and easier.

Good luck friend!
>>
>>2703701
don't edit your snapshits.
>>
>>2703713
your raw software is pulling the in-camera settings from the metadata, then applying them as the initial settings when processing the raw.

basically it's a gimmick and you should use less shitty software (i.e. not the garbage that comes on the cd) or shoot raw+jpg
>>
>>2703726
>>2703719
SilkyPix is great, people are just lazy fucks and want an Adobe style retard friendly interface.
It gives you excellent fine control over contrast, colour, noise reduction, sharpening and distortion.
It makes it very easy to perform batch manipulations or save presets.
For anything that doesn't need layers or masking or local edits, it's more than capable of exporting finished images, which is much more than you can say for the Canon software at least.
>>
>>2703716
they DO NOT affect the raw file. only the jpeg preview. and the otherguy was right that u save resources by turning errthang off.
>>
in camera process your raw files to jpg. pantecks does a wonderful job.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.