[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Photography as a source of income.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: untitled-297.jpg (215 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
untitled-297.jpg
215 KB, 1000x668
Hi /p/ quick question. Is there money in photography outside of weddings and portraits? I'm not particular against doing that kind of work, I just wanted to know if I have options.

I know photojournalism is a possibility but I feel like I would excel in a more commercial area. Also I've never quite understood if you need to be a decent writer as well as a decent photographer to be a photojournalist.

Feel free to share your experiences with photography as a source of income, I'm a beginner and any advice from long time posters would be appreciated.

And no, I don't plan on jumping into this right now, as I said I'm a beginner. I'm just trying to lay the groundwork for what I need to practice for the next two years and beyond.

Pic is random photo from Google

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
PhotographerDan Marshall
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern898
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:08:09 00:30:14
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length60.00 mm
Commentuse with permission
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2842047
You can make a wee bit of money from photojournalism if you can get decent photos with an objective write-up of something interesting.
The problem is that the market is fairly saturated with Vice and HuffPo journalists doing feature pieces left-right-and-centre for fuck all pay.
I've been looking into it myself and I have a feeling I'll probably have to take the "befriend a website" root first.
>>
>>2842047
It depends on where you are, but generally, unless you're a visionary, or willing to work your ass off traveling the world and barely scraping by, it's not going to be stuff you want to do. To make money with photography, you don't take the photos you want to take, you take the photos that other people need to have taken.

If you live in the right areas, you can make money with:
-Headshots
-Product photography
-Real estate photography
-Corporate events
-Corporate security photos
-Senior portraits
-Engagement shoots
-Pet photography
-Social Media Profile photos (LinkedIn is a good one)
-Concerts
-Musician promo work / album art assets

and on and on.
>>
pretty much no, and prospects will continue to get worse.

in 10 years time, cameras will be made obsolete with phones. they already are almost there, the only thing seperating "pro" cameras now is dynamic range and light setups. once the former is figured out, someone will begin inventing ways to solve the latter for phone photographers.

and at that point not only will everyone think theyre a professional photographer (as it is in their minds now), they really will be able to get equal results as the "pros" with minimal effort.

>but muh composition

lol
>>
>>2842059

Wow that's a ton of different areas. Are all of those possible freelance? Or do bands/companies/real estate prefer to hire from know photography companies
>>
>>2842069
At the top of the game, they go with established firms, but at the bottom, where they can't afford (or don't need) that level of security, they'll hire freelance. Just a matter of pounding the pavement.

Real estate, for example: Go online to some realty websites, and find places that have dog shit level photos that are making their property look small, dim, ugly, dingy, etc. Then take a small portfolio of your work showing how you can make places look large, open, bright, clean, inviting. Maybe even show a "good photo" and a "bad photo" of the same place to show the difference a good photographer can make.

Tell them you'll do 10 properties for them for $25 a place, to see how they like your results, and if they do, your rate is $?? after that.

Musicians almost always work through networking, or whoever comes up to them, if they have needs. Only the big names use big names. Not a ton of money to be made there since most musicians are barely scraping by, but it can be a really good time, which may make it more worthwhile to you.
>>
>>2842066
If the only thing that makes you marketable is that your camera is more expensive, you don't deserve the money in the first place.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.