[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /out/s go to axes? I'm getting increasingly into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: NOCARS.jpg (367 KB, 959x776) Image search: [Google]
NOCARS.jpg
367 KB, 959x776
What are /out/s go to axes?

I'm getting increasingly into hiking and I already have a Camp Axe. I was looking for something a bit bigger and higher quality.

It(or they) need to be large and sharp enough to fall small tree and still small enough to be easy transported.

Whats a few QUALITY companies I should look at, and what are the best axe designs for what I'm looking for?

Many thanks, pic unrelated.
>>
Just move along fellas

Someone in /arg/ probably told him that /out/ is easy to troll

Don't prove them right, okay?
>>
>>814610
Gransfors or Hultafors

The latter are a bit less overpriced but the former are the cadillacs
>>
>what do you mean by "small trees"
>do you have the necessary training for such work
>are you gonna be doing it professionally
>what do you mean you have a "Camp Axe"
>what axe head are you looking for, something specifically for felling? Or something more of an all rounder
>what weight of the head are you looking for?
>what kind of wood do you want to cut?
>what handle length are you looking for
And last
>by the gods why would you need to fell trees in a hiking scenario
>>
>>814614
>>814610

shit meant Hults Bruk
>>
File: 1467393626057.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1467393626057.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>814617
>>814613
fuck off sperglords

felling trees is fun
>>
>>814613
What is even remotely trollish about what I posted?

>>814614
Thanks

>>814617
I mean like, small trees.

This will not be used in any proffesional mannor, I hike on private property and I go hard, no external food sources, wood, ect...

I have what is literally called a Camp Axe, its short and meant to be used one handed. I can only really use it to split wood peices
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (49 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
49 KB, 480x360
>>814610

Also Wetterlings, pic related

Basically anything swedish
>>
>>814622
>I mean like, small trees.
yes, i can read, but what do you consider "small trees"? also what tree species? conifers? straigh grained woods? hardwoods? where do you live? Austrailia? Canada? Taiwan? there are so many factors in a question like that
>>
>>814624
Northern Michigan, in the US.

Birch, Oak, and Pine are common.

I would only fall a young tree, so probably 8-12 feet all and TOPs 8" in diameter.
>>
>>814618
Hultafors and Hults Bruk literally means the same thing ...
>>814620
fuck yea it is man
>>
File: 20140916_163258.jpg (732 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20140916_163258.jpg
732 KB, 2048x1152
>>814625
8 inches, well yea then an axe would rightly be you best bet. have you looked at your local stores? if they didnt have what you are looking for, think in the ratio of your body, for a "do it all well" axe you want to hold the head in you hand and it be as long as your streched arm with the butt of the handle in your armpit, this is a very generalised measurement, so if your "camp axe" is shorter then this, i would recomend looking for an axe that length, if thats the length of your camp axe, then perhaps you should look for something longer or with a differently shaped head, also, im sure you dont, but dont neglect technique
>>
>>814629
Most of the Axes they sell in stores here look like they are of horrible quality, with plastic or fiberglass handles.

I'd much rather buy from a reputable company like the ones suggested in this thread.
>>
>>814610
>felling small trees
dick
>>
>>814633
okay

I know nothing about the ethics about tree felling..

Mind filling me in? Its not like I'm doing this on other peoples property, and i would also fell a dead tree if it was neccessary.
>>
>>814632
>with plastic or fiberglass handles.
i know that pain, il be honest i dont know anything about American axe brands, except this documentary which i would highly recomend any axe/early film lover on /out/ watch.
dont know much about German axes either though i am sure they are bound to have something good

but the 3 brands here in Scandinavia are
>Gransfors Bruks
>Hultafors
and then maybe husqvarna but ive never owned one of their axes though my lawnmower has been running smooth for 19 years
if you are interested and up for the challenge incredible quality axe heads can be bought off ebay. my nationalism tells me to tell you to look for DSI in that case but if you are in that game its a whole new world

all in all, buy a gransfors bruks, its top quality and not expensive at all compared to the equipment/time it takes to get a hultafors to the same performance level, its a tool, use it until at breaks and then buy a new one
>>
>>814635
>>814622
It's thanks to "hardcore survival" fantasizing jerkoffs like you that whenever I go into national forests or state parks there are shin-high stumps everywhere where you fags have chopped down young healthy trees. Usually when there's plenty of dead trees laying on the ground already, which will be much dryer and prone to burn that a living healthy tree you just got finished killing.

But let me guess, you're not chopping them down for firewood, you're chopping them down to make some sort of shitty "shelter".
>>
>>814635
green trees dont burn good my friend, are you wanting to build fires? then maybe MAYBE felling a dead-standing tree is a good option but 99.99 times out of 10 finding fallen limbs that are off the ground is 10x better, mind you an axe is still incredibly usefull, but felling trees unless you are building something very large or doing it comercially is completly redudant
>>
I live in the boreal forest and for camp and trail I really like my cold steel trailboss. For 35$ the price is hard to beat and it will fell anything you need. You can swing it with one hand or both comfortably, barely notice it in a pack. The edge will need to be reprofiled a little bit though, and will split camp fire wood just fine hardwood or soft. When I'm cutting firewood for home I use a chainsaw but I still end up using this axe for driving wedges. I really enjoy it the value is hard to beat IMO. I have dozens of axes and like to mix it up, but the trail boss just always seems to be the one I come back to for light duty work. For heavier duty work I prefer Iltis.
>>
>>814639
Laying on the ground = drier? Rarely bud, they absorb water from the ground easier and tend to be very punky. Also, unless visibly cut those stumps are probably from blow downs from half dead trees. The best firewood comes from a tree blown down but not snapped off so the tree is off the ground, dry and tight lime your mother.
>>
>>814635
Read up about silviculture and tree thinning
>>
>>814637
Or he could just buy a Collins axe and spend 1/3rd using the rest to buy the tools to maintain it and then take his wife out for dinner.
>>
>>814614
Based on what information exactly? Try hard man children trying to emulate their fat hero uncle Ray?
>>
>>814658
exactly, im asuming Collins is an American brand
>>
>>814655
The limbs often prop the tree up enough that the trunk isn't actually laying directly on the ground. Trunks laying directly on the ground have usually been there for a while and are already soggy and rotting. Best to leave those for insects and fungi and bacteria to decompose and restore nutrients to the soil.

And yes, there is an obvious difference between a tree that has been blown down and a tree that has been cut down by Survival Sal wanting to test out the lean-to shelter he saw in the YouTube video he watched..
>>
>>814654
Trail boss is actually pretty good, despite all the negativity the company seems to receive.
>>
>>814676
The fact that you come across cutting done by other people in a national forest tells us you don't leave the trails much if at all. Go back to your mothers basement where you belong.
>>
>>814661
Been around since the 1800's, acquired many smaller companies through the years as well.
>>
>>814680
Ok buddy. I'll stop if it means you calm down a little bit. Kinda worried about your heart health with these fiery replies.
>>
meant to include this video in one of my posts. cant remember which one
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4VTCwEfko
>>
File: $_35.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
I love my Fiskars axes.
X15 Sounds like what you need.

Pic related is X7

Despite what some People would have you believe, Fiskars is a quality axe brand.
>>
File: 20150707_203842.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150707_203842.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>814736
never tried a fiskars axe, honestly been disapointed with anything but their garden trowels so i stopped giving them a shot, would probably have giving their mini axe model at shot had i not bought the hultafors
>>
>>814743
Don't travel very far from your lawn do ya bud
>>
>>814743
It's No problem. To each their own. We can coexist.
>>
>>814736
Once the handle breaks it's no good. Hard pass.
>>
>>814758
Once your car's engine breaks you have a dead piece of metal. Better walk!
>>
>>814765
Actually a car's engine is a complicated machine. It can be fixed, rebuilt and have running fairly quickly. Whereas fiskars axe heads can not be rehung like most other axes. Let the adults talk, child.
>>
>>814765
Lolol oooooooookay then
>>
>>814765
If a car's engine breaks, you fix the part of the engine that broke.
If a Fiskars axe breaks, it's fucked because you can't replace the handle.
>>
>>814801
>>814909
This
>>
File: IMG_20151223_135320.jpg (827 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_135320.jpg
827 KB, 2048x1536
>blah, blah...
>theoretical expeiriance
>>
>>815087
You mean well documented knowledge? Yes. Also learn to spell, and take those axes for a walk. They've barely been used.
>>
>>814921
>>814803
>>814801
>>814909

Fiskars had lifetime warranty, which you could see as taking your car to the garage to get it fixed. I doubt there are many people who could fix their own car whilst on a trip or journey.
>>
>>815115
> spell
> phn kbrd

That's the best you've got?
>>
>>815120
There is likely a much higher percentage of men and women in North America who can work on their vehicles compared to Eurocucks.

If you're on an extended trip and you break your fiskars you're just gonna call them up and have one magically delivered to your camp site are you?
>>
>>815120
Their warranty to be sure:
Warranty excludes damage as a result of:

• Negligence or modification of the product

• An accident

• Loss of product

• Failure to notify the retailer/Fiskars within a reasonable time of the damage occurring;
• Damage caused to the product resulting from use which is not intended for the product or abuse of the product;
• In-use wearing, normal wear and tear;
• Extreme temperatures; Heat, flame, continuous heat above +40 degrees celsius or under -30 degrees celsius
• Failure to adhere to appropriate care such as cleaning the product after use and storing away from weather and direct sunlight
• The use of unsuitable cleaning methods or substances; such as acids or solvents

• Defects caused by weather conditions; such as rusting or alteration in color.

• The warranty is not valid in particularly aggressive or corrosive climates such as marine or industrial or constant contact with water, chemicals, ash, cement or dust

If you find fault with the workmanship or materials of your Fiskars 365 limited edition axe product, you should submit the product and a warranty claim to the store from where you have bought the item. Warranty claims must be submitted in writing within thirty (30) days from the time the defect is or should have been discovered. The claim must include the owner’s name, address and telephone number, proof and date of the purchase, nature of the defect and the date when it was first discovered. The product may also be returned by regular mail to the store the item is bought from.

Approval of the return is at the sole discretion of Fiskars. If approved the product will be repaired or replaced by a similar product solely discretional upon Fiskars. In the case of discontinued models, the faulty item will be replaced with the most similar model from the current range.
>>
>>815178
lol this

Most axe handles break because of overstriking, which would fall under negligence or accident.
>>
>>815134
>blaming your fat sausage fingers.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.