[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clothes when /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (1 MB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1280x1920
Discuss outdoor clothing. What do you recommend wearing when out, and what climate are you in?

I'll start with a question: can anyone recommend some good /out/ pants?
>>
Nylon when it's hot, wool when it's cold.
>>
Fleece > wool if you aren't posing for a fashion shoot.
>>
What are some good socks? any cheap wool socks?
>>
File: the ol' spicy keychain.jpg (242 KB, 845x1036) Image search: [Google]
the ol' spicy keychain.jpg
242 KB, 845x1036
Merino Wool, you won't be disappointed
>>
>>717657
Wool doesn't smell like shit when you get sweaty
>>
Polyester shirt and a merino wool sweater
>>
>>717657
Wool will keep you warm when wet. My vote is for wool.

Just wear jeans or BDU's. The most /out/ pants I own are PrAna Bronson's, and they're alright innawoods.
>>
anyone know of a good online site to find reasonably priced outdoor clothes? preferably pants and shorts. If they have backpacks that would be an awesome bonus.
>>
Dismountable cargos are the only way to go
>>
>>717900
Sierra Trading Post
>>
>>717632
Craghopper's. Cheap, but very, very good.
>>
Merino wool for baselayers, socks, undies, and maybe T-Shirt.

Probably easier and cheaper to find a good warm fleece mid-layer than a wool one really. But if you're super keen go wool again for mid layer.

Nylon for pants. If it's cold, still nylon just go with the wool long johns underneath.

>>717900
Sierra Trading Post, Cotswold, Rei, Craghoppers.
>>
If you do any outdoor work, Carhartt is god-tier tough.
>>
>>717716
>Wool doesn't smell like shit when you get sweaty
But fleece is machine washable. Smell is really only a problem with synthetic base layers, fleece mid layers are fine.

>>717898
>Wool will keep you warm when wet.
Fleece will keep you warmer. It holds less water and dries way faster.

I don't know where this particular wool cartel lie came from, polar fleece was invented because wet wool sucks.
>>
What do people wear for underwear for long hikes?
>>
>>717657
Fleece is wool, unless you are meaning to say polar fleece.
>>
>>717678
expensive wool is expensive

my merino sweaters arent really good for warmth, just extreme softness
>>
>>717990
The man is right on both counts.

I've heard that fibre pile is still lighter and faster drying than fleece, though I've also heard that it gets dirty fast. Never tried myself though.
>>
Buy a Russian Gorka suit. It's cheap, durable, comfortable and as a bonus you get to look like an east Ukrainian separatist.
>>
>>718059
or an airsofter
>>
>>717929
Seconding this.

I've had Craghoppers gear last me a decade. It's very well put together for what you're paying and outperforms brands retailing at twice their price.

I'd also check out TKMaxx if you have one. I've bought Mammut, Goldwin, Peak Peformance, North Face and Helly Hansen stuff from there and saved hundreds if not thousands over the years.
>>
Wool long johns for cold
Polycotton trousers
Goretex waterproof trousers for wet and also cold and wind

Wool base
Pile lined nylon as windproof outer and a mid insulating layer
Down jacket optional mid late, and acts as my pillow the rest of the time
Polycotton smock as my outer
Silnylon poncho for when its really coming down.

I am a fan of warm and breathable. I sweat a lot and don't like laminate shells. My goretex trousers are passable as the legs have zips and press buttons their entire lengths.

Wool + pile + nylon breaths really well,and more importantly it wicks moisture away really well.
>>
>>718118
Also to say, interchangeable layers that work individually as well as a system is an important consideration.
>>
Just don't get anything polyester
>>
>>717632
Head to ankles in arcteryx leaf for me because they are super warm and versatile and I'm a patriotic even though I don't think they make anything in Canada anymore.

I'm tempted to even get their combat shirts to wear in the summer when I'm out innawoods since I wear long sleeves no matter how hot out anyways.
>>
>>717660
Cheap wool works for me. If I'm going to be hiking a while then I usually put thin dress socks on before wool to stop blisters.
>>
865 here. My winter /out/gear is pretty much always:

>Stoic baselayer. Great merino for the price. Can usually get for a steal from Backcountry or Steep and Cheap in the off season
>Thick ass merino blend wool socks
>Nike winter running shirt for mid layer (got from thrift store
>Northface Paramount Peak Convertable pants. The only thing I am willing to pay full price for. Shit's are tough, breathable, lots of pockets and well designed.
>Thick ass beanie
>Mountain Hardwear Triclimate Jacket I got off geartrade. Mountain Hardwear shit is pricey but its got a dope warranty and it holds up so used is actually a viable option.
>REI Gloves. Good warranty

Summer is
>northface convertables
>Baselayer Top from above in it gets cool/windy on the ridges
>thick ass socks from above for boots because fuck blisters. Chacos for basecamp
>lightweight t shirt.
>shell from jack for rain
>Shitty baseball cap I found in the river

and a bandanna. I always carry these things. Versatile and useful as fuck at all times.
>>
>>718298
sockliners are a great idea. because fuck blisters.
>>
>>718239
>Head to ankles in arcteryx leaf
Holy fuck are you literally made of money?
>>
>>718376
Eh, I got a bunch of their factory second merino wool undergarments which saved a lot of money. I got most of the outerwear and the mid layers on sale for 25% off, all in all I probably spent under two grand on everything. They keep me toasty warm while winter hiking and cover me from barely freezing to -50.
>>
File: salmond6.jpg (279 KB, 1536x1068) Image search: [Google]
salmond6.jpg
279 KB, 1536x1068
>>718523
Nice.
>>
>>718523
I wish they made woodland camo stuff. Multimeme is so done.
>>
>>717898
>wool will keep you warm when wet
>just wear jeans

if you're worried about being when wet, jeans are probably not a good answer.
>>
>>718659
They are getting into ranger green, which I can appreciate. Most of my shit is in grey though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.