[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about carrying a kukri instead of a small axe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (292 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
292 KB, 1920x1080
I'm thinking about carrying a kukri instead of a small axe for light wood cutting on my next trip.

The main reason is that they weight less than a kg and I don't need to split big chunk of wood,
just small stuff to keep a campfire going.

I've been looking at the kukrihouse discont deals, and they seem to be pretty cheap.
Is there a model you would recomend?
am I wrong thinking one of the heavier, thicker blades would be better for the job?
>>
I'm pretty sure they're cheap because it's mostly a meme and people don't actually want to spend money on something they know they will never use.

Though, if you're sure youre going to use it, I'd definitely go for a non cheap one, I'm pretty sure you can find reviews on Google
>>
>>717499
Theres a cold steel kukri for like $20 that has a zillion good reviews. Probably worth trying out before making the investment

I did exactly that, and realised that a kukri was a pain in the ass for the typical australian hardwoods that I'm around. The lack of weight just meant I was working crazy hard to process decent wood.
>>
Everybody talks about the Himalayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola. Seems good but heavy.
I personally have the kukrihouse jungle afghan.
I like it enough.
>>
>>717499
Honestly a machete would work for you quite well. I use mine to clear trails and limbing all the time, because it takes less effort to swing and is much faster than the hatchet. Of course, this would be a lot longer than the kukri in your pic, though not sure about the weight.
>>
I use a machete for wood stuff. Make sure you get an expensive one that's on the heavy side. A cheap lightweight blade being swung at wood is gonna break and possibly backfire into your face. I had it happen to me a couple years ago. Got 16 stitches, but it could be worse.
>>
Hatchet is best for campfire wood

A Kukri is pretty much just as machete, so if you have a lot of brush to cut through, then sure. But if it's just campfire wood, a hatchet is handier.
>>
>>717649

/thread
>>
>>717649
I'd have to agree with this.
The only reason I'd go with a kukri is because it can do every job averagely well but doesn't excel at any one task.
Space saver.
>>
File: 4777145959_c42dac1d6f.jpg (112 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
4777145959_c42dac1d6f.jpg
112 KB, 500x333
>>717732
>doesn't excel at any one task
unless you need to dismember and/or behead some some japs or krauts. which was done so many numerous times even the British eventually stopped photographing the fields stumpy corpses. and the Brits photographed fucking everything.
>>
>>717499
>I'm thinking about carrying a kukri instead of a small axe for light wood cutting on my next trip.

A kukri like the ones you are looking at is a heavy/thick machete. If you're cutting down a lot of grass or very soft brush you'd be better off with a thinner/lighter blade. If you're chopping down a lot of trees or chopping up logs, you'd be better off with an axe. Whatever else is in the middle of that would probably be tolerable with a kukri.

You can cut grass and chop at trees too, but I wouldn't recommend it over the alternatives.

Pic related, these guys are eager to use their kukris for clearing brush.

>>717554

$20 cold steel kukris are thin kukri shaped machetes for chopping soft brush.
>>
>>717499
The 20 dollar cold steel one is great. I have it and have been on tons of adventures with it. Just know that it is a kukri "machete" this means that it is much thinner and lighter than an ordinary one

The kukrihouse ones seem decent. They are more of a middle of the road kukri. More than a coldsteel, but thick and actually made in nepal. I like the kukri (cant remember the name) thats based off a World War model with a khaki sheath.

The Himalayan Imports kukris seem to be the ones with the highest level of acclaim. The Ang Khola model probably has the most recommendations but I am partial to the M43
>>
>>717744

Cutting off heads from surrendering people and/or the dead isn't much of a feat.
>>
>>717777
>people
>>
>>717499
I alternate between a hatchet and a kukri, they weigh almost the same, just depends what mood I'm in. The kukri does split really well, almost as good as the hatchet but it transfers more shock.
>>
File: IMG_3350.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3350.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I use a Cold Steel Kukri, pic related. They are super cheap and don't weigh a whole lot. And I use mine to hack through all kinds of stuff.
>>
don't be retarded use an axe
>>
>>717809
So what's the advantage of a kukri over a machete? Does the blade shape help? It just seems like it would be a pain to sharpen with all that curviness. I guess I can see the shape making the weight distribution effective for hacking with a smaller blade.

I always kind of assumed people liked them because they look cool....
>>
File: Siripate_link.jpg (107 KB, 819x614) Image search: [Google]
Siripate_link.jpg
107 KB, 819x614
>>718200
Kukris you normally see don't have a lot in common with latin style machetes other than being a big knife, I would never use one as a machete unless I had no choice. Kukris split really well for a knife, as you said, weight distribution but also having the point of contact below the plane of the handle and having a really nice wide convex grind means they don't bind much. The Kukris that are more machete like are the Sirupates, pic related top, but I haven't used one so I can't compare them to other machetes.
>>
File: drgyi.jpg (29 KB, 320x407) Image search: [Google]
drgyi.jpg
29 KB, 320x407
A small axe or hatchet is the best tool for processing wood OP. Yes, a sheddy or kukri can process wood to a degree, but its not their main purpose. A kukri and sheddy are farmers tools - developed for clearing and harvesting initially, and later adapter to other uses (war, construction, etc). An axe is made for processing wood. If you need something to process wood, and do not need something to clear bush or harvest bundles of wheat and grain, get an axe.

A kukri is a superior blade for close combat though.

https://youtu.be/L5UTiXQjN68
>>
Get a SOG.
>>
File: 91bQaTCfWvL._SL1500_.jpg (273 KB, 1159x1500) Image search: [Google]
91bQaTCfWvL._SL1500_.jpg
273 KB, 1159x1500
>>717499

Aside from being kind of a novelty item, they're a bit of a jack-of-all-trades kind of deal.

They're pretty neat though, and dare I say "fun" to handle.

With that being said, if you want to try out something similar and don't want to pay out $30 in shipping, you could always go with Aranyik's Enep. Very similar in design to the kukri, It's about $45 with shipping. Not too pretty but the work output speaks for itself.
>>
Serious question, I bought a real nice Kukri House kukri that I mostly use for knocking branches off of fallen tree limbs, that sort of light wood processing for a campfire, and occasional bramble clearance. I've never actually taken it hiking or camping because I'm paranoid that, on the admittedly minimal chance I passed a cop or what have you, that it might be considered an offensive weapon.

Is it generally accepted that these are short, heavy machetes? Or could you possibly be looking at some shit over it?
>>
>>718799

>I've never actually taken it hiking or camping because I'm paranoid that, on the admittedly minimal chance I passed a cop or what have you, that it might be considered an offensive weapon.

If some normie spotted you swinging it about like a manchild and called it in? Probably.
>>
>>717777
I killed fitty men, both Japs and nat-zis. It don't matter which way they're facing in the end.
>also nice quads
>>
>>718258
>full tang

get a load of this asshole
>>
>>718799
Where do you live? I live in Texas and have open carried my kukri feet away from cops on trails at night and they didn't bat an eye
>>
>>719096
Pennsylvania, and the knife laws here are (imo) dangerously vague. "Implements for the infliction of serious bodily injury", and "daggers" (no clear definition on what a dagger is, popularly thought to be a double-edged knife but unconfirmed), are both illegal to carry. Hunting knives are expressly legal to carry if carried openly.

It all hinges on the "common lawful purpose" smell test, and I'm hoping "camp knife / hunting knife / machete" qualifies. But it is an unusual knife with no case history in PA, that being the only legal compass we have to go on.

I hate to be this frank, but honestly I'm probably too white to get harassed over it. It's still a point of concern in the back of my head.
>>
>>719103
It's probably one of those issues where it also depends on where and how you're carrying it. Carrying it on a hiking or camping trip probably won't be an issue. Carrying it into the grocery store will probably get the police called on you.
>>
>>718797
>Aranyik's Enep

I like it,
I found some producer that can to a degree customize it,
but considering it's 25$ I'm afraid I'm buying a piece of shit.

I've watched a review on youtube and the guy said he had to heat treat and temper the blade.

But yeah I'm gonna consider it.
>>
>>719202

You're buying a workhorse. It's pretty ugly and the heat treatment might not be the highest quality - but it's 5160 steel. At this price range I can't argue.

I bought one not too long ago and from what I have done with it so far - I can tell you that it is very solid.

One of my main gripes with it is that the scales are absolutely hideous. The pins are roughly ground, and you can see some glue in portions of the scales where there are spaces. I think the unfinished portion of the blade is coated with some sort of epoxy, giving it a strange, plasticy look - almost like one of those halloween weapons you see at Party City.

The thing that bothers me most though is how they stamp the blade. It doesn't compromise the integrity of the blade by any means, but I really rather they didn't.
>>
https://youtu.be/0DHGlhFJH0g
>>
>>719219
You're making a pretty valid point actually.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1188x641) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1188x641
>loking for reviews around for kukris and enep and shit
>all I find is videos from retarded tryhards and teenagers
>close the video as soon as I hear "the enemy" and "zombie"
>then there's this guy
>he's fucking cutting carbboard tubes
>uuuuh it cuts
>oooooh that's some power
>aaaaah that's pretty heavy
>uuuuh it cuts
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.