[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I am going to be in the military for at least the next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 14
File: chatt.png (1 MB, 1240x465) Image search: [Google]
chatt.png
1 MB, 1240x465
Hey guys I am going to be in the military for at least the next 10 years. I am going to save up money to buy a place and live happily.

What are some dreamy outdoor towns that are affordable?

so far my top pick is Chattanooga, Tennessee. i like the mixture of city and outdoor.

Bonus if you can tell me one in Colorado or anything with a mountain range!!!

pic related
>>
>>714504
if i had the money and other things in my life weren't as they are...
i would buy land somewhere in the adirondacks and homestead/go on long ass hunting trips in the state forests there.
>>
>>714508
>adirondacks
fuck me i just looked it up and it beautiful! whats stopping you from doing it? I'm 20 and life didn't go the way i planned so fuck it im going to to serve in the military until i can afford it.
>>
>>714514
not allowed to own a gun because of reasons. it really is beautiful there, i agree. i want to make that dream happen anyway. just minus the hunting part.
>>
If you like seasonal weather, pretty much any town outside of Portland in Maine fits your bill.
>>
>>714514
is 20 too late to turn your life around and do something? I'm 20 and my life isn't where I want it to be either. should I just go military too?
>>
>>714514
Dude I joined the USAF for the exact same reason as you. While the pay is nice, DO NOT DO IT.
>>
>>714504
check out any town in star valley Wyoming, specifically Alpine. it's where I grew up, it's great there.
>>
i don't think joining the military isn't "le noblest of duties" or any of that madness but what's wrong with it as a job?
>>
>>714527
could you explain why?
>>
>>714529
>idn't
is*
>>
>>714520
Burr!!!

>>714504
Chattanooga sounds nice. Enough of a city where you have civilization. Nashville and Atlanta aren't too far if you want to go to a show on the weekend. Got some mountains there, but not too tall and it's in the south a bit so you will have mild winters and a long summer. Housing is cheap around there too.

It all depends on your job at that point though. Some Colorado mountain town like Leadville would be cool, but gotta find a job that can pay the bills out there which is the hard part. Chattanooga wouldn't be so bad, but no the best. Denver and Nashville will have work if you are willing to commute.
>>
File: tumblr_o28lunCXPD1r3eisco1_500.jpg (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o28lunCXPD1r3eisco1_500.jpg
79 KB, 500x500
>>714518
I believe in you anon, we /out/ peeps deserve a slice of heaven

>>714520
I was actually looking at areas around portland but i felt it was too flat :p i love mountains

>>714527
Well I heads the USAF was the best pay and shit also mentally straining. is that what you mean? I chose navy cuz i want to travel and shit :)

>>714528
I really like it, living in a quaint town there would be ideal. good taste

>>714529
agreed, have the government pay for my shit and the benefits bruh!

OP here
>>
>>714530
>>714529
well, I fell for the SF trick. I got stationed in an arctic wasteland with shitty weather to guard nukes

yes, it's a fucking easy assignment, and I actually get paid the most out of most assignments, but there's just too much BS and nothingness to it to justify it. I'd much rather be a civilian and be able to do what I want.
>>
>>714537
thanks, i appreciate the kind words. going up there soon to do some fishing and maybe scout out a place to rent.
>>
File: FS860MG1.jpg (46 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
FS860MG1.jpg
46 KB, 750x750
>>714534
I agree chattanooga wouldnt be the best option but its a start, looking for things like that.

I've been to nashville and really enjoyed it I actually woould not mind living there.

and yes all depends on where in my job i am thats why i am going to spend a minimum of 10 years in the service, so i can secure a future.

thank you anon very informative, here have a mora knife :3 mora knife
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 550x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 550x365
>>714537
>>714534
>Leadville, CO

One day I would love to move somewhere with mountains and terrain. I grew up outside Chicago and live in South Florida now. Highest point anywhere around Chicago is the Sears Tower and down here it is probably a tie between the high rises by the beach or the garbage dump.
>>
>>714538
have you tried reserves?
>>
>>714538
>I'd much rather be a civilian and be able to do what I want.
would be cool to be a forest ranger. i know the job isn't the romanticized dream i imagine, but dayum... just being innawoods and getting paid would be sweet.
>>
>>714544
yeah. Denied for Palace Chase; nuclear mission requires a minimum (high) amount of people.
>>
>>714524
Its never too late to turn your life around. positive attitude and structure is key. With me i grew up in an unstable and negative home, couldn't pay for college. Then i thought what i want to do with my life. I want structure, money, travel, and health benefits. Military for me was the only option :) but hey like I said its never too late to change. OP
>>
>>714514
>I'm 20 and life didn't go the way i planned so fuck it im going to to serve in the military
You're still young, lad. You can change it.

>tfw 26yo NEET and I'm to old to enlist in my country's army.
I don't really know what to do with my life.
>>
File: aVQ3y9w_460sa_v1.gif (3 MB, 393x443) Image search: [Google]
aVQ3y9w_460sa_v1.gif
3 MB, 393x443
>>714543
I love it you earn extra points for a mountain range and in colorado. . Whats south florida like? Thats the dram living somewhere with mountains and terrain :') someday anon someday
>>
>>714547
im sorry to hear that, what did you do instead?

>>714549
what country do you live in? Depending where is that I'm sure you can find something. Just ask what you want in life then figure out from there :)
>>
OP have you considered canada?
>>
>>714561
I have actually, the only problem i have encountered is what province and i want something seasonal. I do not know enough about Canada to really consider :/
>>
I'd recommend coeur d'alene, Idaho. Beautiful area, not too expensive, small mountains surrounding it, and only like an hour drive into true wilderness.

Also if you want access to a bigger city, Spokane is only an hour away as well. I wouldn't want to live in Spokane though, too shitty.
>>
>>714556
>what's South Florida like?
Lots of New Yorkers. People aren't nearly as friendly as the Midwest. Can't beat the ocean and the weather though. Never gets above the high 80s and there is always a breeze off the ocean.
>>
>>714568
>what's South Florida like?
>Lots of New Yorkers.
>>
>>714504
>i like the mixture of city and outdoor.

That's god tier because when you want to hike or camp, it's like 10-20 minutes of driving and bam wilderness. I live near Portland Oregon and it's the same way.
>>
File: ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif (1 MB, 308x220) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
1 MB, 308x220
>>714566
Pretty solid actually, bordering a lake so the water is fresh. Have you been there before? :) haha and "spokane" just sounds like a shitty place XD

>>714568
sounds heavenly, minus the unfriendly people. too be honest i cant stand the ocean smell but hey its all preference! ever been Ocean fishing? I've always wanted to do that but my stomach cant take the smell XD

oh and if you guys havent noticed im replying with outdoor pics or gifs i like, this is my favorite

OP still
>>
>>714573
Ahh, the ocean smell is great. The swamp methane smell, not so much. But I'm so used to that saltwater smell that I don't even notice it anymore.

And I have gone fishing off the pier a couple times without much luck. I always end up back at the lake for bass because I actually know what I'm doing there.
>>
>>714558
I live in a southern european country and with all the rapefugee influx I can't even move for a northern euro country because all jobs there are going to be given to kebabs. I will have to rely on my parents help desu.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 627x663) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 627x663
>>714578
That sucks. It's almost like Mexicans in the US. But I would rather deal with a Mexican over a Shitskin any day of the week.
>>
>>714573
Yeah I've been to coeur d'alene. Northern Idaho is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. From coeur d'alene all the way to Glacier National Park, all amazing
>>
>>714579
yeah, at least mexicans have the faith
>>
>>714582
>Catholics
>real Christians
>>
File: 61kleHzxWpL._SX425_.jpg (20 KB, 425x327) Image search: [Google]
61kleHzxWpL._SX425_.jpg
20 KB, 425x327
>>714572
>Portland Oregon
Agree fully, I'm actually pretty jealous of you. I grew up in a shitty town smack in the middle of no where :/ younger me hated it. But hey live with what you got, life gives you lemons say fuck it i want an orange. And go find an orange :)

>>714575
hahaha i feel like that would be me, wouldnt catch anything so i would go fish for catfish or bass by the nearest lake XD

>>714578
yikes thats unfortunate, stay positive! The whole european refugee thing will blow over some day.

>>714581
hnnnggg glacier national park is gorgeous :3 thats awesome i want to go there one day
>>
>>714579
Yeah but mexicans are fine, they'll not try to change your beliefs and want to kill you because you like pork, beer and woman with few clothes on. At least my parents are pretty bros desu.

>>714586
Yeah no worries, I'll figure something out.
>>
>buy land
>preferably on or next to forest
>build log cabin
>live easy life
>profit
>>
File: 15.jpg (194 KB, 1150x1725) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
194 KB, 1150x1725
>>714615
eh I can see the appeal and such but I want to be near people with the access to the outdoors. I guess you could say I'm not a hardcore /out/doors men. Although log cabins are the shit!

here have a derpy deer
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.