[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
littering fags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: 1455878524298.jpg (25 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
1455878524298.jpg
25 KB, 498x412
Can someone explain to me what goes through these people's heads?

It is always fun going on a bear infested wilderness hikes, but what the fuck are people thinking when they just toss their shit everywhere? Like, you think people going out would be more respectful.

>candy wrappers
>beer cans
>cliff bar graveyards
>lol wet socks
>cigg butts
>plastic from their brand new whistle

Is it just drunk local natives doing this? Is it the fucking chinese again? How is this even possible
>>
>>714307

>Can someone explain to me what goes through these people's heads?

Nothing
>>
>what goes through these people's heads?

In a perfect world, bullets.
>>
Because National Parks are full of hipsters and niggers doing drugs. Go to National Forests instead. You'll see the occasional hunter or backpacker but it's far more quiet and clean.
>>
>>714307
There are litterbugs who post here
I have had many debates with them
>>
>>714307

you can take man out of civilization, can't take "civilization" out of a man

some people can't cope without the shit they have every day
>>
>>714358
>Because National Parks are full of hipsters
This has not been my experience
Once you get a >days walk from the trailhead you leave most people behind
The backcountry of NPs usually borders NF land anyway
But you would probably call me a hipster because you don't know any better
>>
>>714359
What's there to debate?
>>
>>714307
I don't get littering, it's just a logic that is alien to me. I can sort of understand why someone might be racist or sexist to an extent (even though I think it's inherently ridiculous) but littering is just beyond me. Some people are just shitty and thoughtless. They don't give a fuck about the world they live on. It's someone elses problem. It doesn't affect them right now so why should they care? It's definitely not ignorance. Every child knows littering is bad. This is just not caring and being a disgusting human.
>>
I've always been taught that if you can't find a rubbish bin then stick it in your pocket until you do find one.

I've never been good at the second part though so my pockets are constantly full of rubbish.
>>
>>714609
>I've never been good at the second part though so my pockets are constantly full of rubbish.

Heh, these days my pockets are always full of my kids rubbish, I should buy them more clothes with pockets.
>>
>>714406
They think it is OK to litter
I do not
So we argue
>>
File: 3775236755_08d622858b_m.jpg (61 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
3775236755_08d622858b_m.jpg
61 KB, 240x180
I have littered in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness.

A piece of Snickers wrapper escaped and blew down a hillside. Retrieving it would have been mildly treacherous, and I was exhausted after a long hike, so I left it.

I'm worse than Hitler.
>>
>>714307
>cigg butts
Why the fuck do i find these fucking things EVERYWHERE. I should be finding them on trails 10 miles into the woods.

I recently went on about a 75 minute hike, so it was probably only 4.5 to 5 miles. There must have been 5 or 6 dozen cigarette filters i picked up.
If you can't go two hours without a goddamn smoke, stay the fuck home you useless piece of human filth.
>>
>>714704
*I shouldn't be finding them
>>
>>714307
The real reason is that individuals always hold themselves as the exception to a rule.
People always justify their own actions.
Yes, if a single person was the only person who ever littered that wouldn't be too awful, but everyone person believes themselves to be that single person.
>>
>>714704
Honestly, ban fucking filters.
>>
File: 73DNrB.gif (3 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
73DNrB.gif
3 MB, 360x270
>>714704
if I'm walking with certain friends I'll smoke, with them it gives pace to the conversation but I will not drop them anywhere except a drain (seen a lot of bin fires) or a bin, scum need not come into the woods.
>>
File: Walther_PPK-L.jpg (400 KB, 1000x744) Image search: [Google]
Walther_PPK-L.jpg
400 KB, 1000x744
>>714645
you know how to fix that.
>>
>>714788

>drop in drain
>which flows to larger bodies of water

slow claps for the slow guy
>>
>>714809
>>
>>714307
There's a small minority of people who believe that the world and everything in it exist solely for their own pleasure. In their twisted value system, a small inconvenience to them outweighs the value of some stranger's life. That stranger's inconvenience at having to clean up after them isn't worth a thought.

As >>714642 will have found out, you can't win an argument with a narcissist. They absolutely cannot admit they're wrong. No matter what you say, they just repeat the same indignant things a little louder. Either you give up in disgust or they work themselves into an apoplectic fit (or a homicidal rage).
The only consolation in the matter is they're too selfish to keep friends (and often jobs).

>>714704
I wonder how people who smoke that heavily have the wind to do exercise. They won't for too much longer.

>>714712
Anti-freedom. You're saying that no smokers should be allowed filtered cigarettes because some smokers are irresponsible. Are you in favor of all candy being banned because it contributes to the obesity epidemic? Do you support a complete prohibition on opiates because some people become addicted?
>>
>>714610
It's why I started wearing cargo pants, that way my phone and keys don't get covered in snot and garbage.
Just line the pocket with quart ziplock bags, and you're good to go.
>>
File: IMG_20160317_100948.jpg (513 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_100948.jpg
513 KB, 2048x1152
ooooo soooo bad

LITTERING
>>
Cigarette butts are made of cellulose acetate and should break down eventually, but when I'm innawoods I roll my own without filters.
>>
that's why i carry a drop pouch bag to pick up trash that i find
>>
File: 1408832637774.gif (982 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
1408832637774.gif
982 KB, 500x475
>>714370
This is generally the case. Working for the NPS over my summers in highschool we walked the main trail about 4 times a week, and a few things always happened without fail.

>Hipsters and idiot natives smoking weed or other shit.
>after the first two miles all the idiots and burnouts die off, things get chill, and everyone you meet is an /out/bro.

The best though was the couple who dropped their canoe and ran into the brush thinking we were a moose. When we got them out they told us all about how they were doing some shit for charity by canoeing and camping on months on end. They were three days in and somehow lost their water purifier and we're filtering fucking beaver pond water through a bandana.

Heard they got sick a week later or something... dumbasses.
>>
>>714307
They started littering once when they were younger and have developed a heavy-duty set of rationalizations for it.
>>
>>714825
Fast clap for the man who stands up against morons
>>
>>714788
You're just fuckin retarded and should probably be pro-active and get on that 9mm
>>
>>715067
>0
>>715067
stories like this really fill you with glee, it this story that makes life more bearable with others
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 272x185
>>715067
>filtering fucking beaver pond water through a bandana

And that's why they call Giardiasis beaver fever
>>
>>715067
They were long-term camping and didn't bring a backup purification method? Jesus Christ, some people...
>>
>>714825
>>715080
n'aww backing yourself up are you?
>>
I live in a rainy area, most of the year i bring a trashbag liner. When I'm on my way back & not worried about my gear getting wet, i'll rig it to the outside of my pack and fill w/ trash. Picked up the habit from doing volunteer forestry stuff, kinda pisses me off to see trash on trails i helped build :p
>>
>>716177
forgot to say, but its worth noting that the trashbag pack liner works better than those stupid nylon/goretex pack covers i see all the time
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 530x587) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 530x587
I recently did 3 day 2 nighter in the needles district of canyonlands. I smoke and I drink beer while I hike. I always leave my beer cans and cig butts in an easily accessible and obvious place next to the trail so people like y'all can carry my garbage out for me. I hike in heavy and hike out light. I even made a roaring campfire in Chesler Park with gathered wood and burned my pork and bean cans. Nobody bothered me because I was the only human being in the backcountry while I was there. Suck it hippies
>>
>>716994
>I rely on others to clean up after me
>suck it hippies!

The irony is that you sound like you'd be a Trump voter, if you were old enough to vote.
>>
File: image.png (170 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
image.png
170 KB, 500x358
>>717041
How'd you guess
>>
>>714307
Most likely its tourists, people passing through, immigrants from places where its acceptable to do such things.

People from other states/places will litter because they will most likely never be on that trail again or in that forest again.

A lot of immigrants do it because its just how it is in their country.

There is a reason why California has become more trashy and it requires workers to go through the ditches of every highway several times a year to pick up trash.
I see so many hispanics just throw trash out the windows of their cars like its nothing.
I am up high in a semi and can see them doing so, not to be racist but I have never seen a black or white person do such a thing, every time has been hispanic.
Visited mexico many times, trash everywhere that isnt a tourist area.
>>
>>714307
It's the mexicans.

It's their fault.
>>
>>717057
it was the muffled moaning from all the cocks bruising the back of your throat.
>>
>>715067
>we're filtering fucking beaver pond water through a bandana.
So they weren't even boiling it?
>>
>>714415
Wait you actually dont comprehend laziness? Im not saying littering is ok, but to claim that you literally dont understand it or are searching for the "logic" in the behavior is kind of stupid.

People have garbage. They are too lazy to hold onto it. They dont care about their surroundings or others. So they drop it.
>>
I work at a State park and deal with this all the time.

Just the other day I was hiking up the trail and I noticed a group of college age guys. Knew that at least one of them was smoking and found a cigarette butt on the ground. When I confronted them about it he said he was sorry and that he was sure it was out because he had stomped on it twice. I was dumbfounded (I'm still kind of new to this part of the job) but had to tell him how it was a form of littering and he should carry any other smokes he had out.

Last week had a girl in a college group leave her banana peel on a rock on the side of the trail, in a fucking alpine zone. When I confronted her she said "it's biodegradeable". Well yeah, maybe if you put it in a ditch 2000'~ lower than we are now. In two weeks that peel is going to look like someone took a long runny mushy shit.

I'm going to lose my mind this year. It's only March and touron season has yet to even begin.
>>
My dad have allways been a big natures guy, moves snakes from areas where houses are going to get built ect. Literally saw him fist fighting a guy for littering in a nature reserve.
My hero.
>>
>>717803
I thought it was always ok to throw fruit skins down because chances are some critter will eat it
>>
>>718288
I always thought most animals will eat the fruit from the rind. At least that I have seen. Fruit skins don't bother me so much but you should bury them. composting happens alot faster if you actually mix the shit in.

Plastic bottles. fucking everywhere. Literally filled up my pack the other day at Fall Creek Falls.

and Diapers. HOLY FUCK. These piece of shit that throws down a fucking diaper on a trail in front of me will rue the fucking day. I see those things everywhere in the mountains. like, what in the actual fuck?
>>
File: newfag.jpg (39 KB, 405x119) Image search: [Google]
newfag.jpg
39 KB, 405x119
>>716142
>>
>>718288
>>718318
Fruit skins are biodegradable, but in reality just about anything will break down given enough time. And that's the real issue, it's a combination of traffic density in the given area and how long whatever item it is you decide to chuck takes to break down.

If I'm eating an apple and I'm at a low elevation then I will toss it in the woods but I will make the effort to step a good 50-60 feet off trail and make sure my toss has a clear path to get further out there, preference for lower points (more water) or under a rotting log. An apple is mostly sugar, if a critter doesn't get it the insects will and the remains are so little they are not noticeable.

Something like a banana peel or an orange however won't be eaten and will have to actually break down, something like this I might leave in the woods but I would place it by hand. Place it far out of sight in a dark/damp area that is conducive to bacteria breaking it down.

But tossing your banana/orange peel just on the side of the trail? Leaving your peanut/sunflower/pistachio shells everywhere? You're making a mess and it looks disgusting.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.