[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best alternative material for stropping? Non-leather.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: BO090502a.jpg (35 KB, 800x466) Image search: [Google]
BO090502a.jpg
35 KB, 800x466
What is the best alternative material for stropping? Non-leather.

Not in the mood to discuss anything else so don't even start.
>>
Have you tried your own ass?
>>
>>709978
stropping is gay son stop it
>>
>>709978
wood actually. i can keep a blade very sharp just honing the edge on a cutting board. sharper than vs metal even
>>
>>709978
Pants denim (ie stropping your knife on your pants leg) is surprisingly effective.
>>
>>709978
Canvas
>>
your homo butt-secret keeping lover's ass skin, I'm sure it's plenty leathery already, you queer
>>
I read that balsa wood is a superior material than leather on a knife forum. Can /out/ confirm?
>>
>>709978
The trucks that deliver your organic tofu and activated almonds run on gasoline, which is derived from the remains of billions of ancient microorganisms.

Tl;dr: your food isn't vegan. Discuss.
>>
>>709978
>Not in the mood to discuss anything else so don't even start
What a faggot lmao
>>
Just on your forearm senpai.
>>
>>710621
Did I even mention the word "vegan"? All I asked what is the best non-leather material for strops.
>>
>>710658
Kill yourself veganfag.
>>
>>710658
Dude stop trying to convert everyone to your vegan bullshit
>>
>>709978
Dried sheepgut. Alternately, the inner side of nurse shark skin.

If portability isn't an issue, a raw buffalo skull can be used to put a very nice bone polish on any edge.

You have to season and condition it first. Do not cook or heat it, that destroys the temper of the bone. If it's still got flesh attached, bury it for a few months so beetles can clean it up for you. Then rinse off, wipe dry, and put into a garbage bag with about 10 gallons of sifted wood ash. Roll it around, working ash into everywhere. Leave for a week, rolling it over once daily. At the end of the week, unbag and rinse off. Give it a good wash with vinegar to neutralize any remaining ash. Rinse again. Let dry out of direct sunlight. When it's thoroughly dry, you can achieve a good high gloss bone polish by lightly drawing your edge through the sagital suture.

Hope this helped!
>>
>>710607
>reads something about knives on a forum about knives
>asks a norwegian pottery collectors guild to verify thing he read
>>
>>710856
>dont have access to leather? easy fix, just get dried sheepgut, the inside of nurse shark skin, or a raw buffalo skull. easy, every day items that will surely leave you never missing leather again
>>
>>709978
I have heard that a newspaper works but I don't strop.
>>
>>710891
that was vegan baiting, newfriend
>>
>>710909
kill yourself vegan
>>
>>710921
I ate two hamburgers today m9, the protein is what keeps my mind sharp enough to spot troll posts.
>>
>>710658
the best material is leather. Use an old belt
>>
>>710905
I heard about that too. But it seems like too much trouble.
>>
File: balsa-surface.jpg (390 KB, 800x643) Image search: [Google]
balsa-surface.jpg
390 KB, 800x643
a chunk of balsa wood impregnated with compound works very, very well. Heavy cotton canvas or denim works well also.
>>
>>709978
Call me insane/crazy. but I use a piece of bass wood for stropping. and for a compound, im so cheap, I just use the rust particles from my vinegar de-rusting baths from when I restore old tools... seems to work bretty good. I don't even know why I started doing it.
>>
>>709978
Denim
>>
>>709978

Cardboard. It has clay already in it, so it's perfect.

Simply go to starbucks, get a cup of coffee, get one of those coffee cozies that keep your hands cool. Take it off the cup, unwrap it and lay it flat. Then strop away. No compound needed. Works very nicely.

In a pinch, denim works, too.
>>
>>709978

Coarse side of leather belt with toothpaste on it
>>
>>709978
I got a leather belt for my small belt sander rescently. I really don't see what the point is in stropping. I'm not seeing any benefit to it. Blades don't get any sharper or retain an edge any better. I'm starting to think stropping is just a gimmick.
>>
>>717578
Try putting compound on it. It makes all the difference.
>>
>>709978
I don't strop. The ceramic stone on my lansky puts a mirror finish on my knives.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.