[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
#14- "Teach a Man to Fish" Edition

>New video straight from Maine?
>MTB and LTB shipped!
>Is it Spring yet?
>It's the weekend!

Previous Thread:
>>707140

Talk about fishin'
>>
>>709786
I've been using the little frame lock on my last couple folders. An expensive knife isn't really high on my list of things to buy though. I think a decent full sized medium rod and spinning reel will be next. Or an ultralight with some 6lb braid.
>>
>>709790
Why braid on an ultralight?
>>
>>709792
Because braid is braid.

6lb is thin as hell and I won't have to worry about breaking the line if a 2lb bass swims into some weeds.
>>
File: pond.jpg (108 KB, 972x547) Image search: [Google]
pond.jpg
108 KB, 972x547
cleaned muh koi pond out from winter/fall, going to throw some perch, and maybe a pickerel or two in it
>>
>>709796
Do white crappie! They're pretty. My buddy put some that I caught in the fish tank in his living room.
>>
>>709797
why not black? also my biggest issue right now is how to transport fishes from pond back to home
>>
File: fish.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1333
>>709787
caught a few of these a few days ago. man they where hella good at popping off the hooks. only reason why this one came in easily was because it tried to deep throat my hook, and it got caught on some hard shit under the mouth that I don't have any fucking clue that its called. its basically the "ribs" on the lower part of the mouth. I left it out long enough so the blood stopped flowing and then held it in water until it started breathing easier and let go of its mouth and gave it a poke and it jetted off.

oh and edited out my shoe cause I'm the only person in the whole world with this pair of shoes. and don't want people recognizing me.
>>
>>709798
I've just think the white ones look better. You could always bring a 5 gallon bucket and use it as a seat until you catch something.
>>
>>709798
I think black crappie look cooler too. I guess whatever you catch.

Just toss em in a 5gal bucket or possibly big plastic tote if you need more. Keep it dark and don't leave them in there too long without agitating the water a bit and you will be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>709801
Eh he will be fine. I have hooked em in the bottom like that a couple times.
>>
>>709803
will fishes last 10-20 min in a 5 gallon bucket? i was planning on bringing a live keep cage thing until the end of the day then throwing thme in a Tupperware or something , i need to calculate how much water is in the pond, and how much the little shitty pump moves per hour/ , i wonder howm any fishes i could put in there,
>>
>>709809
Yes, they will be fine in the bucket for a few hours if anything.

I used to have aquariums and those fuckers would be fine for hours in the bags. Especially if it's something you have to drip acclimate.

Keeping it dark will help. And when you get back to the pond, you might want to slowly add water to the 5gal bucket over the course of an hour or two so the temps even out so you don't shock the fish.
>>
>>709809
>10-20 min
Definitely. If you're gonna have them in there for a couple hours I'd suggest getting a portable aerator to clip onto the bucket. That's probably unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.
>>
>>709808
yeah, I feel bad when it happens to crappie tho. cause the hook ALWAYS either gets stuck in the eye, or down in the stomach. and at that point, I just kill em and turn them into compost. [that I use] normally small as fuck no worth in trying to eat em. and my cats are lazy fucks who could care less.

I also forgot to inb4. >>709801
I'm pale as fuck because I have thalassemia. before anyone asks.
>>
>>709815
temps will probably be similar, black liner keeps it warm, >>709816
im planning fish around 12-14 inches maybe, hopefully pond isnt too small , im thinking 1-3 perch, 1- crappie ( black because thats what i catch around here) and maybe 1-2 pickerel,
>>
>>709818
With lures or live bait? I rarely have problems like that with lures. Sometimes if I'm using a crank bait and the middle hook gets the fish in the lip, the rear hook can hit them in the cheek or by the eye but it is never that bad. Just gotta be careful taking it out.
>>
>>709815
if you want to darken up the water a tad. get a tea bag, [huehue] and some crushed/ground oak bark. it will release tannin into the water. but tannin also raises the acidity slightly [its called tannic ACID for a reason] so if other fish have a problem with it. you're gonna have to have a second tank. to put your panfish of choice in, and slowly [will take like a month or more] get the water to a clear state. had a friend who experimented with this over a few years.. he killed quite a few fish until he figured it out. lol
>>
>>709819
Idk how it transfers to ponds, but for aquariums you normally don't want more than 1" of fish per gal of water. And you want the filter to circulate the whole tank at least 5x per hour (250gph filter for 50gal tank) but preferably closer to 10x.
>>
>>709819
That'll be cool anon. I would suggest not adding them all at once, so if you find out it is too small you aren't stuck with fishes.
>>
>>709824
the little pump i have isnt nearly enough but theres alot of surface area aswell i have a larger pump but its non submersible also with ponds its alot less
>>
>>709823
I was talking more about putting a cover on the bucket and maybe wrapping a towel around it if you use a white bucket that lets a lot of light through.

I know bout dem tannins from driftwood tho. Pain in the ass. But tap water is normally a lil basic anyway (7.4-7.6 for me).
>>
>>709821
I de-barb my small hooks when fishing for panfish. this allows the hooks to get stuck on stupid shit less. but if I use soft tail grubs, [bright yellow, man everything loves bright yellow around here..] it normally just gets stuck in the lip, but if im catching to try to eat, or didn't bring grubs or they just aren't going for the grubs. then I use a bread plastic tie [they come with the trash bags] and some bread.. squish the bread around the hook and wrap towards the eye of the hook about 2 mms with the wire from the bread ties. keeps the bread from floating off, or asshole little fish from sucking all the bread off before the bigger fish sees it. the bread/breadtie trick works good with shiners too. and shiners are bass bait.
>>
>>709826
il start with a few and add more as the summer goes on
>>
>>709831
You also want to make sure the beneficial bacteria and all that good shit is going well before you add a bunch of fish. Takes a month or two to really establish.
>>
>>709836
itl happen uickly, i hav frogs and didnt completely clean the walls of the pond
>>
File: gon hate.gif (180 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
gon hate.gif
180 KB, 160x120
found it!
>>709787
>Teach a Man to Fish
more like a man-child with a motorcycle who never -really- knows what he's doing

i think im going to get some beadhead crystal buggers in size 10, a few black, a few white, and a few chartruse size 8 (cant find them in that colour smaller). those three colours seemed to work well on crappie last year.
>>
File: IMG_20160307_185258674.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160307_185258674.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
>>709841
Thought you may appreciate this since you mentioned he wave feature in last thread
My rat one and two I've customised both to be waveable, same with the tenacious but I never carry that
>>
>>709845
nice
>same with the tenacious but I never carry that
neither would i, i hate serrations with a passion
there are only two knives in this world that should be serrated- bread knives and cheap steak knives. but then again im one of those people who -every- knife they own is shaving sharp.
not counting butter knives and schitt
>>
>>709848
i need a new sharpener im shit with my flat stone, an the tenatious was free, now i have my new sv110 pm2 and its gr8
>>
>>709845
One day ill get a dedicated fillet knife. But for now my two smalls are these two.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-11-23-43-46.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-11-23-43-46.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>709854
Wtf the picture didnt post.
>>
>>709854
My filet knife is an old hickory that I patinad with a potato. Though I use my osi bowie when I'm in saltwater because rust resistance. I love that osi bowie. I'm currently in the process of rehilting it to be a more traditionally handled bowie
>>
File: nymphing3.png (1 MB, 1029x583) Image search: [Google]
nymphing3.png
1 MB, 1029x583
Some fly fishing from today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVpmvHM2H2A

Going to use a head mount for fly fishing I think, it's a little harder to shoot from the chest than regular spin fishing.
>>
want to go fishing in small nearby ri ver, catch whatever, ant because closed trout season
>>
>tfw haven't been fishing in nearly 2 months
>finally get a day off and can't be bothered doing anything

Hopefully I'll get the boat registered this week and start taking it out for a few hours after work.
>>
>>709892
I know that same feeling. I will work a long ass week, plan to go fishing early on Saturday but sleep until like noon. Then run errands and do laundry all day Sunday and all of a sudden it's Monday again and I gotta go back to work.
>>
>>709894
The shit thing is I drive by the river on my way to work every day, weather has just been too hot lately to bother.
>>
>>709906
Yeah man where my route is for work now, I'm always driving past these lakes and canals that are pretty good fishing and I can always see the bass jumping between like 6a and 9a and I just want to stop so bad.

I'm about to go do some 2am fishin. Took a nap after work and couldn't sleep. Debating whether I should stay out til sunrise.
>>
File: image.jpg (898 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
898 KB, 3264x2448
I wish this wind would calm down. It has been windy every day I have gone fishing for the past few weeks and makes it hard to throw topwater.

I aint getting shit for bites either. I have a catfish setup and bait in the car but not trying to sit around waiting for that.
>>
>>709912
You should totally do-
>>709929
Nevermind.

Haven't been nightfishing in ages, losing my $80 headlamp is a big turnoff.
>>
>It's the weekend!
Stopped and picked up some gin and dry vermouth on the way home from work. Get home and open the fridge. Not an olive to be found. This is not a proper start to the weekend. Not proper at all.

On the bright side the junky neighborhood pond did give me my first, and so far only, fish in the form of a brave (or really hungry) little largemouth. Despite the water warming up pretty quickly over the last few days he hit like it was still winter. Very slight nips and tugs. Had to entirely stop an already slow retrieve before he committed to picking up the football jig. Never did hear from my would-be fishing buddy but he didn't miss much. The bite was considerably less frequent for whatever reason. When I first got there some kids decided throwing rocks into the water next to me was an acceptable form of entertainment as well, whilst their foul-mouthed mother watched, too preoccupied with her cellular conversation to explain to them how their actions might be considered rude.

Anyway, daylight is about four hours away and I still haven't relined any of my rods for the new year. Still haven't bought any line either. Gonna check my stock, assess what still seems usable, reline what I can, and maybe regrease the trailer's bearings. With a little luck the jon boat might make it onto the water for the first time this year. If not there's always next weekend. By then my first LTB and whatever line and random gear I end up ordering will be here.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>709936
Damn, $80 headlamp?

I think I spent like $35 on this one I have. Best investment ever. I used to just try and fish with a flashlight and a lantern like a caveman. The one I got is a Princeton and has red LEDs in Hi/Lo or white in Hi/Lo. Runs of three AA.

My only complaint is that I would be down with a rechargeable one if it could be a little smaller and lighter. But this one is by no means heavy. And the 3xAAA batteries seem to last a long ass time. I'm still on the first set and I think I bought it in November.

I have a small LED Maglite in my tackle bag as a backup if needed. Also spare Duracells in the car.

Didn't catch anything night fishing though. A little too late for bass I think and I never threw out the catfish bait. I think nightcrawlers would've been a decent choice instead just becahuse everything eats them.

>>709947
You the one with the hood pond? That sucks man.

Also...
BRAID
R
A
I
D

At least on one rod to try it out if you normally use mono.
>>
File: Black Diamond Icon.jpg (25 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Black Diamond Icon.jpg
25 KB, 400x300
>>709971
I bought it like 4 years ago, also 'straya prices.
>>
>>709999
>'straya
I see. Also checked. Does it just use AAA batteries?

Also do you guys even have Princeton Tec headlamps? If you do, I bet they are overpriced like crazy since they are made in the US. Their headlamps are the one thing made domestically that is quality and not horribly overpriced.
>>
>>709971
>You the one with the hood pond?
That'd be me. I won't be fishing there today. The neighborhood ponds are usually an after-work thing. There's usually not enough daylight once I'm off the clock to go home and hitch the boat or to go shore fishing the nicer lakes that are further away.

>BRAID
Picked up some 50# Power Pro that'll be going on my frogging setup but I haven't been in any rush to spool it. It's going to be a little while longer before the grass mats and lily pads develop and longer still until that point in the year when braid is almost a necessity in the shallows. I'll probably have it running by mid-to-late spring just because water temps will be right for topwater and I can always frog bushes, downed trees and such.

In the meantime my line storage is pretty void. I've got one rod that'll need a full reline (massive birdsnest I forgot about) but the rest probably haven't seen more than three-quarters of a season's use. I figure I'll strip ten or fifteen yards off the ones I plan to use today and hope that they hold up. Next weekend everything will be done up fresh.

Well, a quick detour to the hardware store and then I think I'm gonna get on the water. Hope I can bring back some good news.
>>
>>710028
Damn, what reel are you gonna use that 50lb braid on? Even 40lb will tear apart swivels and hooks before the line breaks.
>>
File: 20160312_101457.jpg (825 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160312_101457.jpg
825 KB, 2048x1350
Look what came in the mail today
>>
>>710119
What one did you do? And damn that came fast.
>>
File: 20160312_101531.jpg (889 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160312_101531.jpg
889 KB, 2048x1350
>>710119
Let's start opening it
>>
File: 20160312_101555.jpg (825 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160312_101555.jpg
825 KB, 2048x1350
>>710122
The bass one
>>
File: 20160312_101606.jpg (761 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160312_101606.jpg
761 KB, 2048x1350
>>710126
This will get a bass for sure
>>
>>710126
>>710127
Damn, that's a good box!

I never knew people actually owned those things. I forget where I am sometimes.
>>
File: 20160312_101912.jpg (935 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160312_101912.jpg
935 KB, 2048x1350
>>710127
Seriously though
A popper that looks like a frog
A 3/8 football jig
Jig trailers
Some kind of paddle tail thing
And hooks like I've never seen before.
>>
>>710130
Well I'm a huge fag so....
>>
>>709787
>Talk about fishin'
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>710134
That Live Target looks straight.

I'm still pissed I didn't grab thay Pro MTB. Looks like the difference will probably be a second nice crank and another little thing.
>>
>>710127
If it floats you could use it as a giant popper....
>>
>>710190
someone please do this lmfao.

What should I do for my next video?
Was thinking, fly fishing in large rivers, or hitting still water with the flyrod.
>>
>>710192
>still water
I wish I had that. Or at least no wind. I just had to switch fishin holes because the wind is comin so strong
>>
>Buy inflatable raft
>Use it twice
>Already a hole in it
FFFFUUUUUUCK
>>
File: image.jpg (863 KB, 3831x2554) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
863 KB, 3831x2554
>>710195
The Lord has answered your prayers
>>
>>710197
you can also use a bike tire patch kit.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 450x450
>>710198
>>710197
What about Slime?
>>
I know my video wasn't too informative, but if you guys like this style of fishing The New Fly Fisher has an excellent video on small stream/creek brook trout fishing. It's basically the best guide out there for finding fish in the most unlikely places.

https://youtu.be/RdaY5XBLzFc
>>
Can't decide where to go next... Thinkin about playing around in the canals or I could go to that lake with the peacocks from last weekend. It's really windy but I'm sure I can at least fish the canals. Thinkin about doing canals first and hit the lake afterward.
>>
>>710219
if I was you I'd be trying to hit those peacocks.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>710231
There are peacocks in the canals too.'i'm gonna stop by this one canal real quick that is basically the edge of the everglades.

Pic related. Driving down the Sawgrass and basically everything to my right is Everglades until you get to Ft. Myers.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>710236
This is a spot where I need a kayak. Or if I could get to the other side, that would be straight but those are all gated service roads.
>>
>>710250
how deep do you think the water is? can you wade it?
>>
>>710255
It would def be shallow enough to wade along the edge but gators n stuff...
>>
>>710258
oh i forgot, in florida you aren't at the top of the food chain.
>>
Does anyone ever forget they ordered something? Pretty cool getting a package you didn't expect.
>>
>>709796
AAAAND the pond has a fucking leak, it didnt have one until i cleaned it this spring and i was gentle as fuck, musst have been a pinhole leak that was filled with shit and i clened the shit away
>>
The spotted gar are back around. Saw a smaller guy at a lake by my house earlier and a fatty just swam by me at this lake. I haven't seen any since last summer.

>>710259
I know man. There are always dem niggas on Flakka and PCP that will take a bite out of you.

>>710278
Damn, that sucks
>>
>>710282
on th bright side if it is a small leak il just fix it with some silicone
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Damn I was bouncing this lil creepy crawler deal through some lilles where I saw all those peacocks last week and something bigger grabbed the tail and spit it out.
>>
File: image.jpg (565 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
565 KB, 3264x2448
A peacock and some sort of cichlid I have seen pics of before. Both around 12".
>>
>>710312
Well why the hell haven't you caught them yet?
>>
>>710312
Florida just seems like a smorgasbord of fish species.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Fuckin 2 casts through this grass and 2 largemouth on but they are impossibru to land.

>>710326
Nope. They seemed to be interested in the stuff on the bottom but never more than just checking it out.

>>710331
Kinda. There are a handful of invaisive species from South America but we also don't have a lot of the regular US freshwater fish like crappie, pike, perch, etc.
>>
>>710001
Yeah 4 AA batteries, so it lasted around 80 hours using just highbeam or nearly 200 with low beam. I'm gonna look for it again today, I'm just hoping I placed it somewhere when drunk and forgot about it, I tend to do that a bit. Most of the Princeton Tec lamps are running for between $30 and $50 on ebay, they any good?
>>
>>710028
1. 50 pound braid is overkill unless you are catching metre plus fish
2. Hope you didn't get the Power Pro on ebay, there's been some chinese counterfeit crap going around.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>710356
Really? I'm glad I ordered Skid his like from Bass Pro. I saw good deals on EBay that woulda saved me $15 on a 300yd spool but was thinkin something like that could happen.

>>710351
I found the honey hole. Too bad there is this tall ass grass. Literally 5 casts. Had largemouth on 4 times. Landed two and lost the other two in the grass.

Still no peacock bites though.
>>
>>710352
I don't have a single complaint about my Princeton lamp. I bought it in like November though so haven't had it for years, but use it quite a bit. 3x AAA batteries so I'm sure it will be lighter than the one you have now. Headband is fairly comfy too.
>>
File: mattawoman_creek.jpg (440 KB, 1024x677) Image search: [Google]
mattawoman_creek.jpg
440 KB, 1024x677
>>710098
Abu Revo SX High Speed. Gonna back with either some of my scrap mono or a couple wraps of little PVC electrical tape since I see that frequently recommended when spooling braid to prevent it from spinning on the spool.

>Even 40lb will tear apart swivels and hooks
>>710356
> 50 pound braid is overkill
50 pound is about a 12# mono equivalent which should be a nominal diameter for the rod I'm using. Braid all the way up to 80 pound (genuinely overkill) isn't uncommon when it comes to frog fishing or throwing punch rigs down through heavily matted grasses. It guarantees it'll cut through the muck, resist any structure hidden below it, and with minimal stretch it means a fast hookset on longer casts.

I had to dig up somebody else's photo to show it but the Mattwaoman Creek has some enormous flats along-side the main channel of the creek. The picture hardly does it justice. In the warmest months they completely cover over in lily pads and matted hydrilla. This means either very limited fishing range (targeting only the edges of the flats from the narrow channel) with whatever tackle you want, or increasing your fishing range at the cost of what tackle you can effectively use (weedless topwater or punch rigs). The trade-off is worth it when it comes to targeting massive largemouth and snakehead who will call those flats home throughout the summer.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>710371
Is the Revo SX a spinning reel or casting?

If it's a casting reel, I have the same one and run 20lb PowerPro. I have done 40lb before and it kinda sucks to cast anything under 1oz. Goos luck with the 50lb, but I don't really like going over 30lb when it comes to bass fishing. I have never had a problem ripping 20lb or 30lb out of lillies and weeds.

If you haven't used 50lb on that reel before, I just don't want you to regret it and have to re-spool it a week later. I did 40lb on another Abu baitcaster and after using it twice, I put 30lb on it. I have 3 or 4 half full rolls of 40lb Power Pro because I saw the "Oh, 12lb diameter" and thought it would be great for medium sized (30-3500) reels. I quickly learned that a main advantage to braid is that I can use 15lb braid for bass fishing and it is strong enough to rip fish through weeds and I can still cast 1/4oz lures.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
New lake. Let's see how this one goes.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>710416
This lake ain't too bad. Tucked in back of some industrial and commercial area. Enough weeds for fish to chill by. Been here 5min and got a nice 4lb+ bass.
>>
ok who registered my domain name yesterday.

fuck.
>>
Daily reminder that pepsifag wanted a junkie to steal a fishing rod so he could buy it off him and was discussing insurance scams.
>>
>>710444
as much as I find it disagreeable, who the fuck cares. we are here to discuss fishing, not the poor personal choices someone makes. besides we probably talked him out of it. doesn't change the fact that he catches fish and contributes great content, which is the reason we are here.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>710444
Trips confirms, PepsiFag had some people tell him he could get $2000 for signing some papers at a doctor and junkie dude could get him anything tools and fishing stuff at a discount.

>>710427
This lake is fucking incredible.
>>
>>710448
And the insurance thing and the discounted tools, electronics, and fishing gear is still on the table as far as I know but I'm probably too much of a pussy to go through with it.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I have a love/hate relationship with these Storm and Tsunami lures.

They are great in clear water with sunshine and get a lot of bites. They are also cheap so it's not an issue to run them througj thick weeds. But goddamn with that single hook on top, I lose a lot of fish.

At this lake I'm at now, I had two more ~3lb bass that I got to the weeds and edge of the grass. Evem after a little fight it seemed like they were hooked well but they still managed to shake the hook out. And then I had one more big ass laremouth on the like for a second and he got loose too.

I throw a Rapala with two treble hooks out and reel in a fatty with no issue. I can't figure out with those Storm lures whether to set the drag tight and get the fish in really fast or set it loose so I tire the fish out a little before it freaks out when it gets close to shore and shakes loose. Opinions on this?
>>
>>710470
I bet if you put some mono between that braid and the swivel you wouldn't lose fish.
>>
>>709868
Was just about to post whats up with the parkinson hands, before you said what was up.
Fly fishing seems kind of boring to me.
(Then again i like carp fishing which is basically rig, cast, wait)

Good video again though. I love the scenery.

>>709929
Night carp fishing is pretty based. I hate lure fishing at night because i cant see where my shit hits the water. Especially windy/rainy nights.
(I say carp, but i mean gilt-head bream with the same carp system)

>>710444
>muh morals
gtfo
>>
>>710470
>HOOK IN GUIDE REEEEEEEEEEEE

>>710473
How come?

Decided to become a tripfag. I bet i forget my trip tho.
>>
>>710486
>Was just about to post whats up with the parkinson hands,
I'm addicted to cigarettes, when I get a nic-fit my hands start shaking, rarely ever happens but yesterday I was feigning for nicotine.

I'm going to quit, I breathe like a fat man, shake like Micheal Fox, and bite my fingers when I haven't had a smoke. I've cut back a lot, used to smoke a little more than a pack a day, now I'm at around 6 cigarettes a day.

>Good video again though. I love the scenery.
thanks man, yeah I like the setting around here, makes not catching fish enjoyable.

>I hate lure fishing at night because i cant see where my shit hits the water

I used to be the same way until I started fishing surf at night.

>>710490
>How come? the mono will give a little elasticity to the fish when he is landing it, relieving some of the pressure that is causing the hook to rip from the lip of the fish, I don't know if this would actually work, but I'm assuming it would help a bit, when my buddies and I fish striper from the dam at low tide we use mono leaders so we can lift big fish up the rocks, the guys who don't use mono seem to rip the hook out when pulling the fish up the rock cliffs.
>>
>>710473
I have a ~4ft flouro leader on that one. So there is some stretch to it. And I'm not setting it too hard or anything. I have been trying to go gentle with it. That's also why I set the drag fairly low. I think it's just something about those lures. I have similar problems when I use a jighead or weighted hook with a fluke or even on spinnerbaits. They don't like to set in the side of the lip as well with the hook on the top.

>>710490
I'm gonna keep putting it in the guide until I have a problem.

And using a mono or flouro leader on braid gives you a little spring or stretch so when you set the hook or the fish tries to shake hard, it's not as hard on the hook and doesn't rip out so easily.
>>
>>710494
>6 cigs a day
I wish I could get there.
>>
>>710501
>I have a ~4ft flouro leader on that one.

sorry didn't notice, looked like braid at first glance.
>>
>>710494
>>710504
>smoking
I used to be straight edge as straight edge gets, but i do smoke a few at a music fest or when im really feeling it. (Drinking with select few people)
Same with weed. Although i aint done that in almost 2 years now. If not full 2 years.

>>710494
>I used to be the same way until I started fishing surf at night.
surf lure fishing? Not bait (carp type) fishing?

Ah i see about the leaders. I thought a shock leader was there to give that stretch, so the braid doesnt snap (iirc i read that its only weakness is that)
I guess a "softer" rod could also help that. Or at least one with slower action.
>>
>>710501

Fluorocarbon doesn't stretch like mono does.
>>
>>710505
I think that one is actually braid in the pic. Specifically that Spider Wire flouro-braid. I had that Tsunami lure on the other rod with the 15lb braid and leader. Then right before I took that pic, I put the popper on the rod with 15lb braid and the leader and moved the Tsunami bait onto that 10lb flouro-carbon with no leader since that like doesn't float.

Doesn't seem to make a difference in losing fish. It's definitely the design of those lures. The smaller Storm lures I have also have a treble hook hanging from the bottom but they pick up a lot more weeds.
>>
>>710518
Still stretches a lot more than braid. But mono definitely stretches a lot.

>>710516
I think the "shock leader" deal is meant to be used with heavy lures too so if the line gets caught up somehow, a heavy weight or lure won't pull so hard and snap off.

And I've never had an issue with braid snapping as a weakness like you're saying. It doesn't stretch so I guess you will feel it a little harder in the reel and rod if there is a hard shock. It's nice for feeling lures and bites though. And the braid will be so much stronger than any mono of similar size so even if it did somehow snap from a shock, a similar size mono would be gone long before then.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Goddamn Dick's right by the fishin holes.

I realized I needed some big baitholder hooks for weedless Texas rigs and then decided to take advantage of a $10 off $25 purchase coupon. Plus they still have a bunch of random clearance stuff that is all buy 2 get 1 free. Not bad for $20.

After seeing those peacocks mildly interested in the jigs and Texas rigged stuff on the bottom, I wanted to grab a smaller jig or two. Only problem is it's hard to find a good sized trailer for the 3/8oz jigs. Most of the crawdads are pretty big. So the choice is basically ~3" grub (which are kinda hard to find) or those Zoom or Havoc split-tail grubs about the same size. The Zoom Speed Craws look like they would do ok as well with that size.
>>
>>710562
Also I normally don't buy expensive hooks like that Trokar or Mustad. But those Trokars weren't much more than regular Eagle Claws with the sale.

Is it really worth it for expensive hooks? I mean it makes sense for a lure that I may own for years and I guess I can try and reuse these ones a bit. But live bait hooks are basically disposable to me so I never spend good money on them.
>>
>>709796

...that thing is waaaaaaay too fucking small to be a koi pond.
>>
>>710572
>Is it really worth it for expensive hooks?

Duh. You don't want people to think you're POOR do you?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>710654
This is true. Not tryin to look like a Mexican with a tin can out there.

Like I said, only reason I got those Trokar hooks was because they were on sale for about the same as what I would pay for cheaper ones. And I needed some of those wider worm type hooks or whatever they are called.

Speaking of poor...
>tfw no "Pro" box this month
I fucked up not paying the $10 on time. I wasn't expecting this box to be here for at least another week though. That happens when I get stuff shipped via USPS. It either comes wayyyy faster than it should or it takes forver because I'm way down here.
>>
>>710660
Open the box fuck boi
>>
>>710660
I should get in on those, but I already have way too many lures.
>>
>>710572

>Is it really worth it for expensive hooks?

That depends on what you're going for. I've had marlin etc. straighten cheap shit-tier hooks right off the bat...which I guess is better than losing what amounts to an $80 lure. I only use cheaper stuff if I'm screwing around from the shoreline.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>710664
>>710660
I've always wondered about those little chatter jigs. Anybody ever use them.

>>710665
>I already have way too many lures
Didn't stop me

I wonder what I missed out on not getting the "Pro" one this month. Seems like the main difference is an extra crankbait and a full pack of soft baits or hooks instead of the 2pk of hooks and 4pk of worms.

>>710666
>I see you Satan

I figure at least these worm hooks should last me a little while if I tie up some nice Texas rigs with 20lb flouro.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>710668
This "Plopper" thing is crazy. The whole tail just spins around like a lopsided propeller.
>>
File: zootopianracewar.png (325 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
zootopianracewar.png
325 KB, 640x360
>>710679
Damn, that thing looks interesting as fuck. I wish I would have gotten it this month.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>710682
The brands of stuff they send is real interesting. It's quality stuff, but seems like a lot of upstart or more local companies. Probably a way to spread their name a little bit. They send MTB product for dirt cheap and MTB spreads the word about them.

The softbaits companies so far have been Evolve, Biospawn, and Biwaa. Crankbaits have been Yo-Zuri, Lucky Craft (supposedly an $18 bait), and that plopper today was River2Sea ($13.64).
>>
Is the dude with the baby turtle baits around?

I was lookin around at Dick's today and they don't carry then. Where did you get them? Does Bass Pro carry em? Thought about goin to Bass Pro today to look for them but Dick's was close, I knew they had 3/8oz baby jigs on clearance, and I had that $10 off coupon.

I gotta look at the old thread so I remember the brand of thise baby turtles.
>>
>>710695
I've been postan a bit. Doomsday Tackle is the brand. They're a new company so I don't know if they'll be at any stores.

http://doomsdaytackleco.myshopify.com/products/doomsday-turtle-3
>>
>>710697
You bought them online or what?

There are so many damn bait and tackle brands. Like I mentioned earlier, most of these baits I've been getting with MTB have been companies I have never heard of. It's all quality stuff and a lot of it endorsed by some random fisherman. Seems odd, I don't know why these people start these companies. If they're lucky, they will eventually just get bought out by Pure Fishing or some other big company.

I find it strange that those baby turtles aren't sold by lots of companies. Seems like a good bait. I mean every soft bait company makes worms, minnows, crawdads, and lizards. Why not turtles?

Also, does anybody here use those Gary Yamamoto soft baits? Never used them before, but why the hell are they $9 a bag? Are they scented? I can never really tell which soft baits are scented or not. Some advertise it a lot and some don't.
>>
>>709868
Nice brookie, I've still yet to catch my first.
>>
>>710720

I dont think yamamotos are scented. No idea why they are $9. A bag of $2 stick baits like the yum dinger seem to be the exact same thing. I think strike king makes a cheap version as well.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>710720
Yeah I ordered them. I don't think it's a bad deal considering they come in 6 packs. I've also noticed how many small lure companies there are.

Also pic related is the crappie in my buddies fish tank.
>>
>>710736
Package didn't say anything about scent. And I totally agree about the $2 Yum baits if they aren't even scented. Especially a plain rubber worm.

I'm sure there are plenty of old timers who swear by the $9 bag though. If you think about it, $9 for 20+ worms isn't that bad if you use one color a lot. But still the $3 Field & Stream or Bass Pro bag looks just fine.
>>
>>710746
Cool. I wish I still had pics of my 75gal. Had a 15gal going off to the side too and a nice lil 6gal with the built in filter and lighting (free from work) in the cabinet under the 75gal if I needed to quarantine something or raise some fry. Had a $200 canister filter and stuff on the 75gal with lots of driftwood and rocks all layered up. Wanted to do saltwater eventually but it is such a big jump in care and everything.
>>
i need to fix my fucking pond ;-;
>>
>>710751
That's cool. My friend wants to make a huge one in his shop to put things we catch in there. I don't know how he's gonna afford it, but I told him I'd help him build it lol
>>
>>710766
Shit just be careful. There's a lot of pressure on those corners and that tempered glass likes to explode sometimes for like no reason.

Best bet is to look around online like Craigslist or even garage sales. Tons of people like me buy big aquariums and get tired of them after a few years and just want to get rid of them. I had a solid pine stand with mine too. It was close to a grand just for the tank, stand, filter, and lights.

I just left that thing in the garage when I moved. There were a few people I knew who seemed interested in it and I told them just to come get it but everybody backed out. I'm sure it just ended up in the trash eventually.
>>
My first mate flaked on me today so fishing was a wash. Probably for the best since I should reline. So I ran errands today instead. Hit the local Tractor Supply and I've deduced that I feed the local birds better than myself. 50lbs of seed and a bunch of suet cakes adds up quick, but I can't sleep if the birds aren't singing so it's worth every penny. Had the guy at the local vape shop twist me some new coils (my juice tastes great again!) and also talked fishing with him for a bit. At some point today I lit a cigarette, took about two drags, exclaimed "This tastes like ass," and stomped it out. Quittin' time coming soon. I also stopped by the grocer's and got my goddamned olives and onions. A marked increase in both typos and belligerence is to be expected.

>>710388
Casting. Went with a High Speed, Left-Handed model for fast take-up and because I'm one of those oddball righties that prefers LH retrieve. This'll actually be my first year using braid so I opted for the lower end of what I've researched the pros to use on similar setups. I'm not overly concerned with extreme casting distance since I'll be targeting close-up spots like docks, grass/pad flats, and such. A 15 to 20 yard cast is liable to keep me out of the fish's sight, especially casting into the thick stuff. Most frogs probably run around 5/8oz Booyah Pad Crashers at 1/2 and some of the larger frogs push from 1 to 1 1/2 oz. If I can fling hollow bodies in that weight range with just a fair bit of distance I can probably be successful.

But you may be entirely correct and I might find it still too heavy for my needs. Worst case I've got a cordless drill, some washers, nuts and bolts, and empty spools. I can always take it off quickly and save it until I get around to putting together a swimbait or punch-rig setup. Now that I think about it those are about the only two techniques I know of that I actually haven't attempted yet when it comes to spinning/casting tackle.
>>
>>710134
Told myself I wasn't gonna peak but I had to (I've got the Bass XL coming in around Tuesday). I may be wrong but I'm assuming I'll be getting the same plus some extras.

I lean toward Gamakatsu hooks but Mustad is a close second, and actually I've been really liking Rapala/VMC hooks these days. All of the above are a few steps up from your usual Wal-Mart / Eagle Claw dealies. Not that Eagle Claw makes a bad product by any means but they're more of a go-to for premade rigs and I'm just not so lazy I won't make my own snells or the sort.

If it's anything like other small companies, and if you're fond of jig fishing, you'll absolutely love that Football Jig. I just checked out Fishing Frugal's website and they make some really choice jigs with very reasonable pricing. I've actually been buying from Bayou Bug recently but almost any small company still willing to tie you custom jigs to your specifications is going to do you a better service than the big-name, mass-producers can.

And that Live Target popper probably retails for over half of what you spent on LTB this month ($12 to $15 lure if I recall). Live Target makes some really nice looking lures. I picked up one of their Sunfish hollow bodies and I can't wait to use it.

Now, time to mix up another martini and read the rest of the thread. While I do that keep being awesome Fishing & Tackle Thread, and here's some hippy shit just because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-nY_B-K-TU
>>
>>710772
We were gonna use some thick ass plexiglass. I'll def post pics here if we do it.
>>
>>710357
Yeah, was a bit pissed when mine started fraying and breaking when casting, 30lb braid shouldn't do that.

>>710369
I might give these a look when looking for a new lamp. Preferably a version with a low wide beam and a single sharp beam.

>>710371
I stand corrected then, never knew about that sort of fishing. People here rarely go above 40lb when trying to pull 130cm Murray Cod out of snags.
>>
File: phike.jpg (30 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
phike.jpg
30 KB, 312x473
went fishing yesterday, but fell asleep before i could post anything. heres a little pike i got on a panfish jig
>>
File: schittbess1.jpg (28 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
schittbess1.jpg
28 KB, 312x473
>>711044
also got a few shit bass on a little popper
>>
File: schittbess2.jpg (34 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
schittbess2.jpg
34 KB, 312x473
>>711045
>>711045
these 3 were all on ultralight gear so they were fun
>>
File: weedless-my-foot.jpg (19 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
weedless-my-foot.jpg
19 KB, 312x473
>>711046
this annoyed me though, and is proof of how i can break anything
weeds on the hook and only the hook of a weedless jig
>>
File: bloogull.jpg (17 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
bloogull.jpg
17 KB, 312x473
>>711047
got a few gills on fly which was fun.
>>
File: deer.jpg (47 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
deer.jpg
47 KB, 312x473
>>711049
i also saw a deer, managed to get a pic of it
>>
>>710572
Yeah. At least i think so.
Me and dad usually replace stock hooks on small jigs with Mustad black hooks. permasharp as fuck. They bounce on pebbles and rocks and stay sharp.

Otherwise i get black mustads when the old hooks rust up (most lures here are freshies for some reason) or we deem them too dull.

>>710679
Shit looks interesting.
>>
File: dooting_son_of_a_bitch.jpg (30 KB, 305x479) Image search: [Google]
dooting_son_of_a_bitch.jpg
30 KB, 305x479
>>711051
That deer's kinda spooky m8.
>>
Anyone own or have used a shimano spirex?
>>
>>711159
There was another about 80 feet away
>>
>>710803
"Right handed - Left hand retrieve" oddball reporting in
>>
>>710803
I still think the 50lb is going to be overkill

>>710810
It will probably be a completely different box.
>>
File: IMG_7702-vert-218x300.jpg (24 KB, 218x300) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7702-vert-218x300.jpg
24 KB, 218x300
Anyone have any experiences painting their wobblers black on the bottom? Heard from the guy in the local fishing store that it catches a lot more fish because the silhouette from the bottom towards the surface is better. Want a second opinion before I paint some of them.
>>
>>711201

Every pro angler uses #50 or #65 braid when frog fishing. When pulling a 6 pounder out of a mat and hoisting it over a dock onto their boat, its necessary. Having said that, I use #30 braid for my frogging, and ive yet to ever have even #20 break lol.

>>711193

I also prefer LH retrieve on my reels. It allows me to keep the rod in position when I set the hook. I can just start reeling, no fumbling around switching hands or anything.
>>
>>711202
It makes sense, from that POV.
I think Pepsi said something about pitch black lures at night being good too.

I might give it a go myself with an old lure sometime.
>>
found the hole in the pond, its actually a rip close to 3.5 inches long, no clue how the fuck that happened, hopefully il be able to path it
>>
>>711204
I guess if you have one combo on the boat that won't be used for anything besides ripping 6lb+ bass out of lillies then go for it.

Idk about you, but I don't cruise around on a $50k boat with 20 rods. I like to have a little flexibility.
>>
Jeez. Don't buy an inflatable raft for fishing, guys. I've used mine GENTLY twice and it already has four holes. Fuckin' hell.
>>
>>711252

What kind did you get? I've got an inflatable kayak that really isn't bad, but it's of the not-cheap variety with multiple air bladders and the 'rubber' is almost 1/4in thick.
>>
>>711263
Intex Seahawk 4. It's pretty cheap, ~$100, but it had amazing reviews on Amazon. I can't see how people could possibly get a year's worth of use out of it, given that mine is already in bad condition.
>>
>>711266
Somehow i dont see me, hooks, knives, and inflatable shit getting along too well.
Unless its a proper thick material.
>>
>>711275
Oh no I was incredibly careful about that. All hooks were very carefully treated and none came close to the raft. I think it's more than possible to fish on an inflatable raft - as long as it isn't a piece of shit that gets holes every two seconds. That's $100 down the drain I'll never get back...
>>
>>711275
+1, that would sketch me out. Intex is the company that makes those rubber pools and stuff. I would not want to do a raft unless it was some heavy duty one. I'd rather just look around for an old aluminum boat that somebody is tryin to get rid of.
>>
Best way to fish with a hangover? I'm thinking night crawler on a bobber.
>>
>>711281
Or a plastic kayak.
Fucking hell, there was a time when you could take a plastic kayak for the entire day for free... By the time i found out they stopped doing that, i got in on it on the last day... I woulda been ripped by now if i had a kayak.

Rowing is exhausting as fuck, but i love it on a hot summer day.
>>
>>711304
With a beer and some dark sunglasses.
>>
>>710134
Those hooks are nice for weedless-rigged worms. The little pin that sticks out keeps the worm from sliding back on the hook when it's run through a snag.
>>
>>711391
I was lookin at those hooks last night but they normally don't have that wide offset that I was looking for. Needed ones where the hook actually pops through the bait far enough to get a good hook.
>>
>>710331
It is. I grew up just east of Lake Okeechobee, and whenever my dad got a wild hair we would go fly fish for bream in the Rim Canal (aka the ditch they dug out around the lake to build the flood control dikes) in his boat.
Catching 30+ in a morning on store-bought poppers, plus the odd largemouth or two, is an average day there. And that's not even mentioning he saltwater fishing.
>>
Looking for a spinning rod for my dad.
2.7m and up. Preferably saltwater but freshie works too. casting weight between 10 and 50 grams (10 lower limit would be great, 30 upper is ok)
Faster action.
up to 60 bucks/euros

This is what i just saw, which kinda fits the bill. Anyone know this?
http://www.lureshop.eu/abu-garcia-venerate-eva-spin-902m-2-74m-186g-15-40g.html
>>
Gratiskanaldotcom channel on yt, checkit flyfags. And gratiskanal.com website, just spent 2 hours looking at some awesome videos. Not shilling desu lol
>>
>>711455
Go for it. I have a couple Abu rods and love them. Definitely will buy again in the future.
>>
>>711482
I literally want people to shill fishing channels.
Hell, I'll shill mine, latest video here:
>>709868

I can't get enough of watching people fish while I'm working.

>>711202
I just use all black bombers.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4032x3024
>>710679
I have a few whopper poppers and they work very well for bass, they are kind of like buzzbaits or arbogast buzz plugs. They make a lot of noise and they float which is nice
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Managed to break a hook on a rapala
>>
>>711536
You'll survive. Put a new one on there. I have a Mepps with only 2 out of 3 hooks left on it after I snagged it on something and broke the hook off. Still works fine.

I'm suprised they have the name and size on them. I have no clue which of my Rapalas are Original, Husky Jerk, etc. Not even sure which fat crankbaits are which size but it probably has a brand somewhere on it.
>>
File: 3132016 golf course.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
3132016 golf course.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
Hit a black crankbait in a muddy golf course lake. The sun had just set and a thunderstorm rolled in, and light drizzle of rain fell on the lake - this is my favorite time to fish. I retrieved it slow and steady parallel to the bank and it hit about 10 feet out, very lightly.

My foot is 14 inches long for scale. So at least 16 inch fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>711536
I've had that happen to me too, two out of three hooks on a treble is still enough to hook any fish. I don't think you need to replace the hook until it breaks completely
>>
>>711266

Yeaahhh... a decent rubber one is going to be 600 easy.
>>
File: 038.jpg (2 MB, 3509x973) Image search: [Google]
038.jpg
2 MB, 3509x973
What do you guys think about the Emmrod?

Right now I use a generic telescoping pole for backpacking, but it's kinda flimsy. Works okay for lake trout and that sort of thing, but I'd like to start doing some remote river fishing for larger salmon. I'll need something beefier, while still being compact so I can throw it in a pack.

Also: any recommendations for a good spinning reel to potentially pair with one of these things?
>>
>>711249

I agree, 20#-30# should be more than enough for general use and even froggin'. But you are a mainly shore angler, even when I'm on the kayak casting distance is less crucial, so you could use that heavy line if it ensures a trophy fish.

Imagine catching a state record, and losing it because you prefer light gear. Ugh...lol
>>
>>711455
im sure there is an uglystik bigwater rod that will fit that description to a t
>>
>>711568
looks pretty shite to me. i had a rod like that once, the handle/reelseat broke
also you dont need a heavy rod for bigger salmon, i go after steelhead with the same gear i go after crappie with.
>>
>>711568
Woah, that thing is trippy looking. It's gotta be a bitch to cast with any distance on something like that.

Is a 2pc 6' rod really that unmanageable to strap on the outside of the bag? That way you could easily get something from a real brand and have a huge selection.

Also what are you looking to spend on a reel? And how heavy as far as line goes? Like 10lb mono?
>>
>>711578
any videos of anyone using one?
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 640x1136
>>711568
http://m.basspro.com/Ugly-Stik-GX2-Spinning-Pack-Rod/product/1304260626444/

This has to be better than anything like in your pic. This way you could get a real medium weight 6'-7' rod. Price is right too and it's an Ugly Stik so it should work fine for years and take some abuse.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 640x1136
>>711568
>>711584
Here's a little bit nicer one.

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-3Piece-Travel-Spinning-Rod/product/1408121536/
>>
>>711193
Gooble Gobble Gooble Gobble One Of Us One of Us!

>>711204
>Having said that, I use #30 braid for my frogging, and ive yet to ever have even #20 break lol.

And that's why I'll readily admit Pepsi may be right. The Mattawoman Creek gets nasty-thick and even Mallows Bay gets kind of funky in the shallowest parts toward the end of summer but I'll probably still be running heavier than I need. Admittedly I looked at my braid purchase more in terms of line diameter than things like line weight or how readily it unspools during casting. Hopefully I haven't boned myself but I won't find out until a few more weeks unless I put spool up early for some practice casts.

>>711201
>It will probably be a completely different box.
You're correct, and I know so because I YouTube'd it like a twat. No jumbo swimbaits so at least I won't need a new setup to throw anything. I don't want to spoil it so I won't say what it comes with but I will say that it is going to include some things I can put to use right away and in current weather/water conditions. Next month I'll try to curb my curiosity a bit better.

Also you and our Nor'east friend might look into vapes. Mainebub isn't doing bad at all if they're down from a pack+/day habit to only six or so. Plenty of folks can go the cold turkey route (I'm not one of them). For those of us that can't the alcoholics have near-beer (O'Doul's or such) and us smokers have only had patches and gum up until fairly recently. Where I last failed was wasting my money on those junky convenience store vapes. I killed a Blue e-cig in a single day, said "fuck that" and went back to a pack-a-day habit. I personally went to an extreme when I tried vaping again but I've a nice mod and an RDA that pumps out some serious clouds. For me it does the trick and if I smoke more than two cigarettes in a day it's because I forget to charge my batteries the night before
>>
>>711590
>vape
>mods
Fuck that

I have a couple of those Vuse e-cigs I got for free. They are ok if I run out of cigs at 3am and need to make it til the morning. But I will quit all together before I buy a mouth fedora.
>>
>>711590
The tl;dr about the smoke/vape deal is a moderately priced mod and good tank might be all it takes to give up the smokes. Especially for folks looking to quit but who are prone to habits. It's a better habit-replacement than patches or chewing gum.

>>711568
They have been around for a long time and the longevity would suggest there is a market for them. Like Pepsi said I just can't imagine them being easy to cast either. They remind me of ice fishing rods (not that I know diddly about ice fishing).

Between chancing an investment into something wind up never using or sticking with what I know, I'd typically stick with what I know. I can get a length of PVC pipe, threaded caps, and some foam and strap it to one of my backpacks. Just make sure it's the right size that I can fit a couple of my two or three piece rods, and carry the reels in the main pack.
>>
>>711591
>mouth fedora.
I absolutely love that phrase which is a conundrum because I find myself endorsing them after I've given so many vape threads a load of shit on /b/. If I didn't find it to be honestly helping me I'd still be standing by those same guns. I'm not a fan of the culture that has developed around vapes. A lot of it is genuinely silly like cloud competitions/cloud chasing. But if you don't get sucked into all the nonsense or make it a hobby, a hard-hitting mod and tank/rda combo can be just what the pack+/day smoker needs to quit. The Blues and Vuse just didn't cut it for me.
>>
>>711595
>A lot of it is genuinely silly

This. I vape to cut back on dipping. People who do it purely as a hobby are generally annoying as fuck. Out of all the things they could be autistic about they chose blowing clouds of vapor.
>>
>>711590

I used 50# power pro super slick on a mh 6'10 froggin rog. I wasnt getting the distance I needed, plus we dont get crazy mats where I fish. 20# pp is what I use now and seems more than adequate.
>>
Does anyone have any tips for fishing in rivers in early spring when they water is high and muddy? The river I fish has a ton of carp and suckers, plus a lot of panfish and smallies. Can I just drift worms down with the current? That's what usually works well for me in the summer. There are also some walleye and trout in the river, where would they be hanging out in the spring?
>>
>>711598
Yep. And I think smoke/vape tricks are actually really nifty. And some degree of envy might fuel that bit of acceptance because I couldn't do any of them to save my life. But at the end of the day they're still just parlor tricks to me. The idea of them as a competitive sport borders on the absurd. It's hard to take that stance when I'm rocking an RDA (against the advice of a very honest fellow at my local shop) and looking full vapetard but that's just what is working for me. At the end of the day whatever helps a person curb their smoking is what matters most.

Re-railing the thread, I just built these mofos:
http://www.onthewater.com/best-fishing-rod-storage-rack-cant-buy/

I ended up getting an strip of 1"x2" that was just over 8' long and cut it down to two 4' sections which ended up being perfect for 12 hooks at 8" spacing. I forgot the weather stripping and some longer screws so they won't be hung until later in the week but I'm delighted with how they came out. I'm gonna need to dig up a magnet or a stud finder so I can locate the ceiling joists and hang them. Not that it's necessary. They don't weight much and even with the rods on them they shouldn't exceed recommended weights for hanging with something like toggle bolts. But I like to be proper in my projects so joist-mounting is the plan for these.

If you don't already have a tackle/bit box full of nails, screws and such and some scrap lumber you probably won't save any money versus buying a pre-made ceiling rack. But if you're at least a little handy and already have tools and lumber, those PVC J Hooks are pretty damned cheap and this is a sub one-hour project that'll cost you less the the pre-made stuff.
>>
>>711658
I'm not sure how deep/wide/fast of a river you're fishing but when I fish the Raystown Branch of the Juniata I'm wading fairly narrow and shallow stretches (no more than 60 yards with holes that probably don't break 6' in depth) that tend to be calm unless a rainstorm hits and gets it rolling.

Drifting bait is plenty fine and effective. My best luck has always been with with jig spinners for the smallies, rock bass, bluegill, perch, and occasional grass carp. Most everything will hit either an inline or jig spinner. At night I've done well for smallmouth using topwater lures. Particularly dark colored Arbogast Hula Poppers.

I don't think the walleye run down as far as where I fish but the ones I've caught in lakes have been on jig spinners. Trout should hit jig/inline spinners no problem as well. As for precisely where to target I couldn't say for sure. I do all my fishing the same way, targeting anything that stands out from the ordinary. I like to throw to places with lots of shade on hot days, places with sunlight on cold days, deep holes, overhanging brush, downed trees, patches of grass, the ripple that forms behind structure like rocks in the middle of a river, etc. If it seems like a good resting place for fish I'll cast just beyond it, bring my lure by, and hope for a bite.
>>
>>711688
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I've had good luck with Mepps spinners for smallies, but the river is pretty snaggy and I don't like losing lures. There are a few spots where there are dam type structures that the water flows through super fast, and it makes a a bunch of slack water and eddies around the main current. I think the water gets really deep there too. Would that be a good spot to try fishing? It might be really flooded this time of year though
>>
>>711568
Daiwa ardito travel rods.
>>
>>711697
>Would that be a good spot to try fishing?
Absolutely. Especially for anything that's going to predate upon other fish. One of my favorite things to do at that junky neighborhood pond I frequently mention is target these large runoff drains following rainstorms. Fishing the low side of dams is popular for the same reason. Littler fish, crawfish and other forms of prey can get caught up in the turbulence of the fast moving water, unable to maneuver as well. Larger predatory fish will often hang around those sorts of features because they can handle the rougher water better and can make an easy meal out of anything smaller that gets caught up in it.
>>
File: 1320532588968.jpg (332 KB, 1280x881) Image search: [Google]
1320532588968.jpg
332 KB, 1280x881
>>711568
>remote river fishing for larger salmon
>spinning gear

I'm having trouble expressing the depth of my disappointment in you at the moment.
>>
>>711843

Seriously dude? This isn't /b/,/v/ or some shit. Don't be like that.
>>
>>711846
I wouldn't have posted that image if I wasn't that disappointed. Anyone pursuing shallow-water salmonids with anything other than fly gear should be ashamed of themselves.
>>
>>711847
Why? I only catch bass so I don't know about salmonids. Are they obscenely easy to catch? I thought trout and salmon were finnicky.
>>
>>711652
>50# to 20#
Wew lad...

I don't think people realize how strong 20# and 30# PowerPro is. I snap hooks with 20lb when I snag it on rocks. 30lb-40lb will rip apart swivels and the little rings that old hooks onto lures or where the line ties onto cranks.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Every day I'm driving past these canals and can see bass jumping in the calm water. I want to be out there tossing poppers so bad.
>>
>>710668
I've used the chatterbaits; never caught anything on them.
Interesting little action, but that blade picks up weeds like it's a fucking sail. And where I am, that basically means I get 1 good retrieve per 10+ casts until I've collected all the milfoil near me, picked it off the lure, and dropped it on the shoreline.
I generally get bored before then and change to something else though.
>>
>>711972
Hmm. Interdasting. You run them real deep or like a swimming jig?
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 500x275
>>710679
That's like the old Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler, but applied to a floating lure.
Decent concept, hope it works for you.

The ponds where I am are WAY too overfished to land anything on a lure hat big.
>>
>>711975
It's not that big. 3.5". A hungry 12" largemouth would def try and hit it.
>>
Ive heard about this spot, but im unsure where exactly the guys fish. Its a pretty common spot but not too popular, because it is a bit farther away than the "common spot" (in next post)

The red circle marks the two bridges ive been told about. Thats a side river, of the big 500foot wide river flowing east to west.
The mouth of the river is shown in second pic and is a great spot, but overfished. The river is somewhat salinized, in some years it will become sea saltwater even.

Where should i try fishing in/around the red circle?
>>
File: Capture.png (3 MB, 1411x941) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3 MB, 1411x941
>>711981
Forgot pic.
>>
File: Capture2.png (3 MB, 1360x834) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
3 MB, 1360x834
>>711981
>>711985
And the river mouth spot. The approximate spot of first pic is in top right corner.
>>
>>711709
What would be the best way to fish it? I'd like to use worms, should I tie on a weight to the line and just let it sink to the bottom?
>>
>>711847

>hatingfreedom.gif

kill yourself.
>>
File: IMG_20151002_143935837.jpg (602 KB, 1316x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_143935837.jpg
602 KB, 1316x2340
>>711847
I disagree.

As an flyfisher and spin fisher. I completely disagree.

Who cares what you catch fish on.

Hell if you aren't catching fish with a primitive stick and wood fibre with a wood fashioned hook you are fishing. That's what you sound like right now.

Who cares what tackle you use, its about having fun, enjoying yourself,and catching fish. This isn't a contest, its a community.

You should be ashamed for acting like an elitist, shunning others for not fishing in a particular fashion. There is no need for that
>>
>>712013
Most of the time I'm free diving with a three prong spear. I could make some asinine claim that using a rod and line isn't 'fishing', but I'd be both a retard and a jackass like >>711843
if I did.
>>
>>712013
Agree on all points
But...

>LIPPING
>REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>712042
yeah yeah yeah

didn't know it was a fucking thing until you guys brought it up in the thread.
>>
File: vettel_1.jpg (21 KB, 700x510) Image search: [Google]
vettel_1.jpg
21 KB, 700x510
>>712051
I learned how to handle fish handling toothy ones. Or ones that will bite down on your shit with bone-crushing dentures.

If thats you in the pic you look hella like sebastian vettel
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 600x400
>>712013
>how not to hold a largemouth
Damn, you look like dude I know. Pro BMX rider.
>>
>>712061
bmx bikes look like trials bikes with no engine imo
cant say why
>>
File: 0trials20.jpg (20 KB, 400x277) Image search: [Google]
0trials20.jpg
20 KB, 400x277
>>712100
real trials bikes have no engines
>if you ride a bike with an engine, this is truly a shameful practice.
>>
>>712042
>>712061
>I'm retarded

That bass is a long ways off from being hurt from lipping.

Calm your tits autists.
>>
>>712104
i ride a motorcycle litterally everywhere
>>
>>712120
BLASPHEMY
>>
>>712117
youre in the early stages of the danger zone
ease off that little guy some
>>
>>712121
i dont even own a car
>>
>>712128
I'm just joking around, referencing the faggot who said catching salmoniods on anything other than a flyrod is sac-religious.
>>
what do ou guys use for catfish bait? bu;llheads, white catfish, and small channel cats
>>
>>712135
My favorite for bullheads is either cut up bluegill or night crawlers, corn works well too. For channel cats nothing has worked as well for me as cut bluegill. I like to cut the bluegill into a few pieces, my favorite part to use is the head and gills, but the midsection with all the guys works well too
>>
>>712144
I meant to say guts, not guys
>>
>>712135
chunks-o-gizzard shad
i can catch 9-13 inch shad at this lake, i catch all i can, freeze them individually, take what i think ill need, and cut it into the size chunks i want
otherwise i put chicken liver in a chunk of panty hoes and use that
>>
I need a new 2500 size reel for bass and bluegill fishing. Any suggestions?
>>
>>712158
I'm happy with my shimano Siena, plus it's only $30. I've caught 35 pound carp on it, so it will definitely stand up to bass and bluegill, or anything you might hook in to
>>
>>712175
I have a sienna 1000, absolutely love it.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 352x240
>>712104
>brakes on top of the seatstays
Absolutely haram.

>>712135
I prefer the dip bait using those specjal rigs (pic related). Always worked way better than dough balls. If you can toss half a bluegill or dead shad out there like Skid said, that is a good bet too because you might grab some other scavenger. The one big bowfin I caught way back when was on half a bluegill. I always seemed to get bullhead on nightcrawlers though.

>>712158
>>712175
Those Siennas aren't bad at all for the price. Honestly though, I would grab one of those Okuma Stratus V's from Dick's over the Sienna for close to the same price.

Depends on anon's price range though. "I need a new 2500 size bass reel" is a pretty broad request.
>>
File: IMG_0705.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
LTB InShore box, $32ish by their calculations
>>
>>712178
hoping I get mine today.

those trout trailers are awesome btw, for any type of fishing. box looks good this month The pintails are pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>712179
What is that Pirana thing? A diver or popper?

And that baby striper looks fun. I'm sure they claim that as a $20+ lure.

What's the deal with stripers anyway? I've always heard they were brackish fish but back in the day I had a couple lakes in IL where I used to catch them (which is really far from any saltwater). None of them were huge, lots of 12" fish. Maybe I'm thinking of different species that look real similar?
>>
>>712183
>>712179
I think Maine quoted the wrong person. But what are those pintails used for? Can't really tell what they are from the pic.

Also, I have seen those types of trout things before. A sphere on top with a long, smooth tail. I think Power Bait makes ones that are a white sphere and a long pink tail and they look creepy. What are they supposed to be?
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 640x1136
>>712186
These things. They call them "Mouse Tails". What the hell are they supposed to be and why do fish like em?
>>
>>712184
I think there's saltwater and freshwater striper
>>
>>712190
>>712184
They are native to the atlantic, they move into rivers to spawn, and have a massive migration.

the fish you find in freshwater outwest are introduced, and not native.

This is my understanding, if I'm wrong source it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_bass

Seems they were introduced in some waters for controlling the gizzard shad
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 640x1136
>>712198
The one lake I would catch them in a lot was stocked I believe, so it's possible that they are introduced there. But I have caught them other places as well. It would make more sense for them to be White Bass or Yellow Bass, which are native to the Midwest. But I remember the body shape being more slender like real stripers. But I never got any larger than like 14" which would be small for real Stripers.

I'm guessing they were probably Yellow Bass but my memory of them is just shitty.
>>
>>712184
European Seabass love brackish water, so id imagine another type of bass do too.
Best seabass spots are river/creek mouths, or spots with underwater springs. They can be fished several miles up a river.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 640x1136
>>712198
>>712203
Actually this would make the most sense right here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_striped_bass
>>
>>712206
yeah it seems to happen quite often, pretty cool to see the wiki page on them though, had no idea hybrids were prevelant until we started discussing the MTB.

STRIPER SEASON IS ALMOST HERE

I couldn't be more prepared or ready.
>>
>>712061
>every fish you post is laying in the grass and covered in dry leaves
Uh huh.
>>
>>712204
Keep forgetting to trip
>>
>>712212
There isn't really a better way to take a pic when I'm by myself. Plus because iPhone, if I try and take a vertical pic, it will upload sideways or upside down.
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 640x1136
>>712208
This is from the lake. Must have just been the yellow bass. They really didn't have much yellow to them though. But it doesn't look like a white bass because I think the striped are more pronounced on the yellow bass.

This was a cool little lake though because it is in the middle of an urban/suburban area yet they had some nice sized pike and tiger muskie in there. Never got one but I have seen giant tiger muskie swimming in there.

And you don't really get those until you start going towards northern Wisconsin or Minnesota in real big and quiet lakes. Same with smallmouth. In my experiences around there, muskie, smallmouth, and yellow perch only seem to be in real undisturbed and remote lakes. Not sure why. And if you are catching perch, there are some northern pike or muskie nearby.
>>
>>712217
Protip: if you rotate the picture horizontal in your camera roll, save it, then rotate it back vertical, it'll post the right way
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>712223
Or just take it horizontal with the fish laying in the grass anyway. If I turn the phone counter clockwise 90*, it uploads fine.
>>
>>712184
>that Pirana thing?
diver, its got an open mouth and is hollow, should be interesting.

Stripers are the shizz, imagine 25-40#'s or better
Minimum to keep is 28"
Theyll pull a yak a good 100 yards or so before getting tired. They'll also come up to shore and feed in like 10" of water.

Bait & Tackle told me they are already off Jersey. Gonna be an early year I think. I was at the shore clamming Saturday and there were a chitload of crabs and small baitfish that got trapped with the insanely low tide.
>>
So as far as I understand, fish don't bite cranks because they think they're real prey, right? I heard they bite because cranks piss them off by rattling/ hitting into things, etc.
>>
Braid or flouro? I need to respool my baitcaster. Will mostly be fishing the bottom/swimbaits with it.
>>
>>712296
it's a mixture of both, but most often they are targeting the crank as prey. It can also be territorial. I do a type of fishing in the spring where the whole point is to piss the shad off into biting your dart. It's pretty fun and you can watch the fish school up around the dart and get defensive, then one of them snap and violently attack the dart.
>>
>>712296
I never heard that. Only thing besides thinking it was food would be when fish are spawning and don't want smaller fish going after the eggs or fry.

It wouldn't makes sense if they just attacked because they didn't like the noise. How come bass don't really like to hit spinners in clear water but they will readily go after a realistic gold or silver crank?

Sounds like some old wive's tail.

>>712303
You knoe I'm gonna say braid. Only problem is most braid floads. But SpiderWire makes a "Flouro Braid" which is braid that sinks like flouro. I have it on one of my reels.
>>
>>712307
>You knoe I'm gonna say braid.

Lol I was waiting for it.

If I get braid I was going to get 20lb test and 15 if I got flouro. Sound about right?
>>
>>712310
Idk about the flouro, that depends on your tastes but if you do braid, you can go a little heavier if you want. I have 20lb on one baitcaster and 30lb on the other. 30lb is straight for most bigger bass crankbaits and stuff along those lines. But I'm glad I did 20lb on the other one because I can cast down to 1/4oz if the wind isn't blowing in my face.

I had 40lb (the SuperSlick too) on one casting reel for awhile and it was just too much for the regular bass fishing like I do.
>>
>>712318
I got both so I can switch if I don't like either one. I also spent $178 on shit I don't need. Send halp.
>>
>>712307
>>712310
man you guys fish so heavy. I get it though, just weird to me that's all.
>>
Want to fish but it's going to rain for the next week
What do?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.