[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tincloth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1425659259-76067600.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1425659259-76067600.jpg
98 KB, 1000x1000
Hey /out/

I currently own this Fjallraven Skogso jacket. Its a nice coat, good pockets etc but I'm looking at better waterprrofing options than rubbing it with a bar of beeswax and melting with a hairdryer.

After a little bit of googling, i cam across tincloth. Is this a viable waterprrofing option? is there any experience of using it?

as far as i know its boiled linseed oil and beeswax melted together and then soaked into the fabric.

pros / cons?
>>
>>707584
Can you not just spray some silicon-based waterproofing shit on there?
>>
>>707591

Not old world enough for op
>>
>>707584

Tincloth is just Filson's marketing name for their heavy weight waxed cotton.

Cons are it is heavy and has to be replenished at least every year if you wear the garment much. Also it isn't 'waterproof' and not even as water resistant as modern membranes like goretex. Even in a middling rain, mist gets through.

Pros are that the water resisting properties are part of the fabric rather than a distinct membrane (like goretex). This means a garment can be composed of a single layer that isn't a laminate. It also means that the water resistant layer of garment can be much more durable.

The only pieces of waxed canvas I still own are upland hunting gear. A jacket, bibs, and a vest. I can plow my way through the brambliest thicket with no concerns for my semi-water resistant clothing or skin being shredded.
>>
>>707584
> there is no more proper way to outfit for gold in Alaska than Filson head to toe

> ...in 1902

Nice meme, good /fa/, luck op!
>>
>>707752

Ok cool, cheers. I did think there wouldnt really be a way to fully waterproof that way but thought you guys would know more etc. Thanks for the help.

>>707757
Are you always this helpful? Thanks for the info, really useful.
>>
>>707584
You could try some typical impregnation product. Nikwax has a special impregnation for cotton and polycotton fabrics. This will likely not waterproof it as well as drenching it in wax, but retain breathability in return.
>>
>>707584
holy shit what did they do copy off the gorka 4?
>>
>>708168
Nothing that meme brand makes is original
>>
File: 1441343733407.jpg (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1441343733407.jpg
42 KB, 700x500
>hard shell
>doesn't hold wind or rain
>has to be waxed to make it semi-waterproof

Another Skogso owner here. Just buy a real rain jacket, ffs. Fjallraven is a meme brand. They get a lot of publicity because their marketing people give money and free shit to "bushcraft" JewTubers in exchange for them praising Fjallraven's shitty products. Fjallraven belongs in the same snake oil category as Solo Stove and BioLite.
>>
>>708026
Don't listen, motherfucker. Good luck with your turn of the century RPG posing bullshit!

Are you trying out for a reality show, too?
>>
My marmot precit jacket is pretty nice.
>>
>>708903

That's the rain jacket I'm planning to buy to replace my Failraven.

Regards,
>>708734
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.