[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have no idea what the smartest or most efficient way to start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 1423457915263.jpg (978 KB, 1400x907) Image search: [Google]
1423457915263.jpg
978 KB, 1400x907
I have no idea what the smartest or most efficient way to start this thread is... but here goes.

Im going to take a sort of 'National Forest Tour' when Spring breaks in full. I plan to leave from Detroit, MI, in early April. I am an avid and experienced outdoorsman, but Ive never taken a road trip...
I want to start in Wayne NF in s. Ohio, and from there meander through some of the southern and Appalachian NFs before booking it westward.

I have so many questions, however, and I have no one in my life whose ever done this sort of thing, so I only have you sc/out/s to rely on ;^)

So I'll be roadtripping quite a bit kind of all across the US.
But some pretty major questions have remained unanswered, and I havent been able to find what I need with google.

>Where will I be able to get water? I have purification tablets and a filter for innawoods and such, but what about general water? Should I stock up on store bought gallons? Do I fill up at public park drinking fountains or something?

>What about electricity? I can charge my phone in car, but what about my laptop? Should I even bring my laptop? I am a writer and digital painter so thats where most my work is done

>What about eating on the road? Im obviously not going to be fast fooding it most the time, where can I wash my dishes?

>Can I really do dispersed camping in any national forest? This is what I was told previously and what I did for years in Michigan

I am sincerely relying on you shitposters for some guidance or advice. Even sites with the answered to these questions would help.
Thanks, sc/out/s
>>
File: 20160228_104617_001-1.jpg (3 MB, 2004x2495) Image search: [Google]
20160228_104617_001-1.jpg
3 MB, 2004x2495
>>707139
>Where to get water
I typically only go into forrest where there are water sources. Google Earth is your friend. I also keep water inside my vehicle in case I need it.

>charging
Those little battery banks might be an option or even a solar charger. Also your developed camp sites will have power hook ups but you will have to pay to stay there.

>wash dishes
Extra water in your car/water sources. I also like meals where I don't need to do dishes or using paper bowls then just burn when I'm done.

>dispersed camping
I really don't know what you mean here.
>>
>water
yes to all. and almost all urban water (barring flukes like flint) is potable, so once you buy a bottle you can refill it in any mcdonalds or walmart bathroom

>laptop
ummm, charge it in your car also?

>washing dishes
wipe em out real well. hobo wash them in sinks. bigger problem is going to be washing you, desu.

>dispersed camping
pretty much totally legal in national forests and on blm land. but you usually need a permit to camp in national wilderness or national parks.
>>
File: 0htVp86.jpg (16 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
0htVp86.jpg
16 KB, 236x354
>>707144
>>707157
I know thanks are kinda pointless on an anonymous Colombian stained glass chatroom, but thank you for the advice.

On another note, is there a place to reference state laws (mostly pertaining to what firearms I can carry, travel with, use) where the language isn't so thick in legal-ese?
I dont want to get arrested in Arkansas for misinterpreting adverbs on some legal website
>>
>>707221
I'm from arkansas and the pic I posted is from ouachita nf. What particular questions do you have about firearms?
>>
>>707245
None of them are specifically centered on AR, but there is a long list of general questions I wanted to ask about each state I'll be visiting.
>What firearms am I allowed to transport in your state?
>What type of firearms am I able to carry in the national forests?
>Do i need a permit or anything similar for any specific type of firearm? Do I need anything like trigger locks?
You know, the how-do-I-avoid-getting-arrested-becasue-some-cop-is-having-a-bad-day type questions

btw How is Arkansas for /out/ activities? looks nice tbqh
>>
>>707281
Arkansas
>What firearms allowed to transport
As of right now everything is legal within a vehicle.

>firearms able to carry within national forest
You can have long guns but I wouldn't carry that unless your hunting. Handguns are also accepted. You can open carry with no permit, concealed you need a permit is my understanding. We have this thing called constitutional carry that allows us to have concealed handguns if we are on a "journey" but it seems to only apply to vehicles and not people on foot. I thought about not renewing by permit and testing this but since you are out of state I wouldn't recommend. If you go to actual campgrounds they typically have firearm free zones around them.

>trigger locks
No

>avoid bad day pigs
Just keep the firearms out of sight.

You also mentioned what firearms can you use. I can't speak for everywhere but in the ONF you can't shoot unless it's for hunting. They have dedicated ranges for just shooting

Overall arkansas is pretty good for /out/, although the people are pretty shitty IMO.
>>
>>707281
As someone thats spent weeks on the ONF I would just carry the smallest/lightest centerfire handgun you own. Just my opinion.
>>
>>707221
>I know thanks are kinda pointless on an anonymous Colombian stained glass chatroom, but thank you for the advice.

i still appreciate you acknowledging this thread exists. few things on this site drive me more crazy than when op asks a question, then is never heard from again.
>>
>>707290
>>707303
I've never had to deal with potentially dangerous wildlife before, and thats why I planned to carry.It would be nice to have a way to hunt if I do get lost or something, but mostly it was for wildlife.

That's another thing I'm unsure of.
How wary do I really have to be of wildlife?
Bears are usually pussies, yotes are no threat, and I figured if I have to square down a wolf or two I'm probably toast. And cougars are ambush hunters.

Do I really need to worry about defending myself from wildlife?
what about [spoiler]skinwalkers?[/spoiler]
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.