[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$340.00 for tarp?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: tarps_flat_tarp.jpg (46 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
tarps_flat_tarp.jpg
46 KB, 800x1200
$340.00 for tarp?
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85 KB, 270x187
put mud in a jar and sell it for $1 and people will laugh at you.

put mud in a jar and sell it for $100 and people will climb over each other to smear it on their face.
>>
>>705915

Sounds like a Steve Jobs quote
>>
Cuben ain't cheap
>>
Pricey as fuck, I know, but I actually bought it. Also, I had to pay shipping, toll, extra taxes, and pay in US$ at a horrible exchange rate these days... Probably ended up around $500.. But, then again, I have a job.

Worth every penny. Or, well, kinda. Too expensive, but it's fucking awesome. 299grams including custom Lawson 2mm glowire guylines.. Sets up taught as a motherfucker, never sags when wet, lets light through on rainy days, and weighs 299grams including custom Lawson 2mm glowire guylines.

OH, and it only weighs 299grams including custom Lawson 2mm glowire guylines.
>>
>>705927
so its guarenteed to blow away and flutter in the lightest of breezes?

I can understand the need for light tarps, but it hardly seems durable at 300g
>>
>>705927
Don't be a faggot. The tarp doesn't hold its self up. How heavy are your trekking poles? Those are utilized in the structure so they should be counted in the overall weight.

Price wise, you've approached or surpassed most ultra light 3 to 4 season single person tents. Congrats on your arguably 'better' setup bruh.
>>
[anger at other anons priorities and needs being different to their own intensifies]
>>
>>705942
>>705943
>Here's what I use, and here's why it works for me
>nuh uh you're WRONG

every goddamn time, /out/
>>
File: DSC_0669.jpg (797 KB, 1734x975) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0669.jpg
797 KB, 1734x975
>>705942
>guarenteed to blow away and flutter in the lightest of breezes?
Why would the weight of fabric have anything to do with flutter or blowing away? It's all in the pitch, anon -- all in the pitch.
>hardly seems durable at 300g
mistaking fabric weight for durability.Seriously though -- why do you think it's so fucking expensive? And why do people still purchase at such a price point?
>Not googling Dyneema Composite Fabrics

>>705943
True, poles are a part of the weight in a way -- in this pitch. I use Gossamer Gear LT4's, 130g*2, thus an extra 260g. However, the poles are not _mandatory_ for pitching a tarp, and I never go on anything longer than a dayhike without them anyway. I love hiking poles, YMMV.
>>705943
I have plenty of tents. Wanted a tarp. Got the best one. U jelly.
>>
Shill as fuck ITT
>>
>>705943
>Price wise, you've approached or surpassed most ultra light 3 to 4 season single person tents

oh lordy, I see you haven't looked at anything outside of your local box store yet.
>>
>>705976
You should also mention that you're norwegian richfag OP
>>
>>705913
I'll take my 26 oz tent for more than a hundred dollars less and not worry about pooling or running ground water in heavy rains.
>>
File: HMG.png (527 KB, 720x631) Image search: [Google]
HMG.png
527 KB, 720x631
>>705982
Pic related. Well, I don't know -- HMG make some nice equipment, and they really are on the forefront of Cuben/DCF-scene, both regarding technology and craftmanship. I'm not a raving fanboy (mostly because price), but, yeah, they make nice shit.

Of course, so do MLD, Zpacks and many others... But they were even more expensive when I bought mine..

>>705986
Well, Norwegian at least.. Work in municipal HR, not really paying that well. Anyway; I have an actual job that pays actual money, and I spend far too much on gear. So what? It's not like my kids are starving or anything..

>>705990
Good for you, I like tents too.
>>
>>705986
>>705927
>>705976
>>706005

Oh, btw: I'm the guy who own and love the tarp and post photos -- I think OP is overall negative
>>
>>706008
Can I ask what the appeal to tarps is? I have met several long distance hikers who swore by them.

Have you faired any serious weather under one?
If so, do you get wet?

Is it more of just a week trip/fair weather piece of gear for you?
>>
>>706015
Tbh, I am not a Thru-Hiker by any stretch. I have obligations; kids, wife and work. I also regularly write stupid shit on the internet. So, I guess "week trip" is expedition-like in my mind.

The appeal is at least three-fold for me:
1) It's lightweight. Ridiculously so compared to double-wall tents.
2) It's simple. I can erect it in "storm mode" in two minutes, or fiddle around for ten minutes making a palace. It can give me shade and ventilation on hot days, or I can pitch it extremely low to the ground in shitty weather.
3) It's versatile, see above
4) It makes me creative, see above
5) Its "romantic", i.e. back to basics bushcrafting style -- it forces me closer to nature, the ground, the view, the weather, forces me to keep my knotology up to date...

Also, yes, I've endured serious weather in it, pitched very low against a tree, with my back to the wind. Definitely way quieter and stabile than a tent. Not wet at all, though I used a bathtub bivy in shoulder seasons...

Sure, "fair weather", meaning taking my Hilleberg if going into mountains in proper Norwegian snow conditions. But wind and rain is no match for a tarp
>>
>>706029
Understandable.
>>
lk
>>
>>706029
All your posts sound like one long protracted case of buyer's remorse

>$500 hurr durr it's okay that I got ripped off because I have a job
>makes me creative
>it's romantic

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone it wasn't a shit purchase
>>
>>705913
>pay more for less!
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/super-ultralight-trail-kit.html

This Super Ultralight Trail Kit saves you $100 versus buying the products separately.
Weight

Total Weight: 2.89 lbs | 46.2 oz | 1310g

Kit Includes:

2400 Windrider

White
Small, Medium, Large or Tall

8’6” x 8’6” Flat Tarp

White

Ultralight Stake Kit I

Helium Balloon for Load Lifting

Small CF8 Stuff Sack Pillow

CF8 Stuff Sacks

2x - Jumbo (14” x 19”)

1x - X-Large (12” x 17”)

1x - Large (10” x 14”)

1x - Small (8” x 10”)

>$740.00

Included in Kit:

>$340.00
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/flat-tarp.html
>>
>>706008
Then I mistook you for OP, I thought op had said tent bcs on other thread he posted å crapload of expensive gear lol
>>
File: Tarp.jpg (465 KB, 1734x975) Image search: [Google]
Tarp.jpg
465 KB, 1734x975
>>706072
>å crapload
Haha, scandifag detected

>>706035
>buyer's remorse
Conceded: I guess you're right.

The time after I had pressed confirm on the order, and while I waited for eight weeks for it to arrive, I felt like an idiot. When it arrived, I still felt like an idiot.

However, as time has passed the pain has subsided, and me and the tarp have now embarked on what I suspect will become a long and happy relationship.

Do i like the tarp? Hell, yes. Would I exchange it for an inferior silnylon tarp? Hell, no.

Would I recommend a friend to spend that much money and anguish on a slightly superior tarp as opposed to a good 10'x10' silnylon one? Well, no.
>>
>>705976
Ever since I had light material jackets that worked horribly, and tents blow away while staked down, I preferred more hefty materials.

I suppose ultralight fabric these days is getting stronger. And if you're rucking your entire campsite along, then the weight is a factor, but I usually just drag the tent and tarp from thr car to a clearing and hike from there, so it's not a big issue for me.

That still seems pricey in any case, whats the warranty?
>>
>>705913
Jesus Christ senpai I paid 70 for my Eno rain fly and felt like a tool. It was worth it though
>>
>>706061
Not sure I get your point.. The advertised kit includes the tarp, but also a backpack, stuffsacks, stakes and shit..?
>>
>>705976

I'm with you anon. I've gotten 8 years use out of a £30 tarp, I'm not going to baulk at spending ten times that on a replacement with the caveat that it's good quality.

The tarp I mention above is PU polyester, it's okay as a material, I also use a silnylon poncho tarp (golite) which is awesome.

But I am for sure buying a cuben fibre tarp next time.
>>
File: Shadowcaster 165 Tarp.jpg (34 KB, 960x615) Image search: [Google]
Shadowcaster 165 Tarp.jpg
34 KB, 960x615
Anyone have any experience with NEMO's ultralight tarps or treking pole tents? They're in the $300 range, and that always seemed ridiculous to me, but they claim it's 'the easiest tarp ever to set up'.
>>
>>706774
It's just a tarp, what makes it "easy to set up"? I don't see any features that would make it different from any other camping tarp.
>>
>>705948

Even in the middle of nowhere, wilderness elitist faggots lurk to judge those they deem unworthy.
>>
>>706791
The guy lines are easily adjustable and don't require knots, that's all I can see.
>>
>>707181
Well, those guyline adjusters suck anyway. Either get linelocs, or skip them and learn two knots..

Why do they suck, you say? A-ha! Because they make you double your line, and forcing your stake point out from the tarp by at least half your line length.

In short, you carry more line for less functionality.
>>
>>705948
this, in every thread, about every topic
>>
>>706791
fabric doesn't stretch as a result of water ingress
>>
>>707318
Likely bullshit.. PU stretches too, tho less than Silnylon. Actually, it's a problem that it doesn't stretch, because what is hindering the stretch is actually the PU coating, which is not made to handle such forces..

Result: the coating starts to flake and peel off the actual tarp..

Don't buy it, get a proper Silnylon one.

Or, if you are rolling in moneys, as I have argued above: get a Cuben/DCF tarp
>>
>>707318
have you never gotten fabric wet before? these a dramatic stretch with natural fibers, and many synthetics too.
>>
>>707318
>>707375
'Cause Cuben actually doesn't stretch
>>
Also this, tieouts mid panel is nice
>>
>>705913
>$340.00 for tarp?
haha enjoy your peasant tarp
hope you are never going to use it cuz 100% it will fail
>>
>>710174
Nice pic. The lightest tarp on the market, that only requires five pounds of cord to set up.

What's wrong with a basic A-sym? Particularly when your tarp is also your rain poncho? Particularly when you replaced the heavy af milspec silnylon with Tyvek? Particularly when Tyvek is less than 1$/yd?

Cuben. Memetacular.
>>
>>712171
> Five pounds of cord
Lawson Ironcore fusion: 50 feet is 2 ounces. I carry 30 feet.

> Basic A-sym
Yeah, right, in Norwegian weather..
>>
Looking at getting a Austrian shelter half (or two). Anyone have any experience with them?
>>
>>712636
Looks cool and minimalist -- but probably a little on the heavy side for such a meagre shelter, nor really adaptable.

Looks cool though...
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.