[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ I want to spend a night in the woods. I have no formal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 20160307_222646.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160307_222646.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Hey /out/ I want to spend a night in the woods. I have no formal training or special gear, just the common knowledge of TV and the Internet. I figure I won't need more than a hatchet and a knife to build a small shelter and make myself a fire ( going to use a lighter for that)

Anyways I found an old hatchet and pocket knife laying around my shed. Are these good brands or should I go buy something better? Pic related
>>
File: 20160307_222713.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160307_222713.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
Here's the hatchet. I cleaned it up a little bit but it looks pretty old
>>
>>705777
Checked.

And for one night? Sure. Just sharpen them.

I don't know anything about that brand, but looks like a decent litle knoife.
>>
>>705785
>decent litle knoife
stop
>>
>>705777
>>705783
puma pocket knife -- good shit
grasfors bruks axe -- good shit
all you need for one night in the woods is a sleeping bag.
>>
>>705785
Thanks man.

Any advice for solo camping?
>>
>>705794
Knoife

>>705796
Is that really a good brand? Never heard of it but it looks nice. I like the design. "Handmade in Germany" and it can't be too shitty.

>>705794
Knoife

>>705797
Nope, wrong person to ask. I'm just here for the fishin' threads and shitposting.

If you go out by yourself, just make sure to let people know where you're going and what time you expect to be back. And check the weather and all that good shit.
>>
>>705805
>Is that really a good brand?
yes.
>>
>>705777
Hatchet, knife, lighter.

I'll all for testing yourself, but if you don't have any experience I'd recommend taking emergency supplies or having an easy out in case of emergencies. At the very least, carry an emergency blanket a bandleader and an aluminum bottle full of water (you can boil in it if you need more).
>>
>>705826
>Bandleader...
Hand warmer.
>>
>>705826
> supplies
Because God knows Americans can't go without food for one fucking day and night!
>>
>>705830
welcome to /out/
>>
>>705830
But eating camp food you cooked over a campfire is one of the best parts of going /out/
>>
>>705835
How do you make McDonald's over the fire, Amerifat?
>>
File: LifeStraw-water-filter.jpg (98 KB, 1443x1500) Image search: [Google]
LifeStraw-water-filter.jpg
98 KB, 1443x1500
OP here

Should I bring one of these?
>>
>>705840
it's one fuckin night man just bring a gallon or two of water from the gas station
>>
>>705843
I don't wanna carry around all that shit
>>
>>705840
> the troll is strong in this one
>>
>>705845
you suck. fuck you. drink dirty puddle water out of your shitstraw then stupid.
>>
>>705850
>you suck
>you're stupid

Gee thanks for the constructive criticism you fucking kindergartener
>>
>>705852
i gave you my constructive criticism, you disregarded it and sperged instead.
you wanna spend one fucking night in the woods and you have to come to /out/ to ask if you should take your fucking lifestraw
fuck you, you suck, and you're stupid
>>
>>705852
Well, now you're just being a doo doo head.
>>
>>705859
You gave me literally no reason not to buy a water filter over lugging gallons of water with me out into the woods. I don't know much about camping but I do know that it's easier to hike with less weight on my back.

Perhaps, without hurling insults in every direction, you could explain to me how I'm wrong?
>>
>>705867
>one night
>>
>>705835

This. I bring bare minimum food and always get heat from my hiking buddies. They don't see the fun in fishing or trapping small game for your meal. I doubt none of them even own a fishing rod. Pitiful bastards.
>>
It's one fucking night. Carry a bottle of water and a bag of trail mix. Carry a tarp and tie it to a tree. You won't die fatty.
>>
>>705777

I suggest you bring more than you need, food, water, etc.

Sharpen the hatchet and the knife and look on youtube how to build shelters and learn a method.

Then comfortably build it with all your stuff with you. You can probably live for two or three days pretty good with the excessive amouts of stuff I recommend you bring.
>>
>>705783
Holy shit man, that hatchet is probably worth something. Looks like a Davie Crockett original. Ask how many times the head and handle have been replaced.
>>
>>705805
puma is top notch
>>
File: 20160308_103626.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160308_103626.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>706051
Seriously? Here's some more pictures
>>
>>705783
No the axe is shit now gimme gimme
>>
>>705797
tell someone where you're going, no need to be extra specific. It's better in case you go missing so people know where to look.

For one day trip you don't need extra gear, so just pack essentials... you'll learn the rest along the way I guess. It's one day camping, not an expedition so you'll be fine
>>
>>705859
why has everyone been so salty on this board lately
>>
>>706106
It's an old out joke my dad told me. If the head and handle have been replaced, it's not an original
>>
>>705794

That's a decent little comment right there
>>
>>705830

Yeah you'd think they'd just use some of the stored energy in their massive gut
>>
>>705867

You probably shouldn't pack such a heavy thing as a life straw though. Just drink your own piss. Don't bring a container though, just teach yourself to piss in your own mouth while doing a headstand.
>>
>>705850
>>705859
Ermuhgerd I kek'd so fucking hard at this. This is why I even bother with 4chan now.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.