[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car survival thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: penny can stove.jpg (196 KB, 550x824) Image search: [Google]
penny can stove.jpg
196 KB, 550x824
Hey, so I just got my first car, it has a very spaceous trunk. I'm looking to build a bug out bag for this car, to keep me alive should I have to drive away and flee or if it will brake down in the middle of nowhere.

I though of packing the stuff in a 60L canvas bag or similar. what I'd pack:

med kit
road kit (warnvests, signs etc)
flares
water
MREs
a knoife
starter cables

Do you have any infographics/recommendations ?

To my person: 18, german, 6'1'', mediocre outdoor experience, amateur shooting experience, license for 4 months now
>>
>>703320
>Recommendations
Food, water, shelter, warmth.

Six mountain house meals, a cheap Sierra cup, supercat stove, bottle of HEET, Sawyer mini filter, two 2-liter bottles of distilled water (Sawyer will thread onto these), a cheap cold-weather sleeping bag. As long as you stay in your car, this will will easily last you 3-4 days. Someone will drive by in that time.

I'd also add a can or two of fix-a-flat, make sure you have a spare tire and know how to change it, some cash, duct tape, a full gas can (change it a couple times per year), and btw, the reason I said carry distilled water was for the radiator, as well as drinking.
>>
>>703320
>recommendations?
there is a lot if information if you search on google and youtube
a lot of it is maybe survivalist and preppers who put guns and ammo in their kits and a lot of things the ordinary person probably wouldn't store in his car, but regardless if you're a prepper or not..they might still give you some ideas.
>>
>>703561
I've been interested in /out/ and /k/ survival stuff for a long time, but I don't have that much money.

I have packed right now, an ox whip, emergency window breaker and belt cutter, lights, tools, spare tire, emergency signs and vests, med kit.
Will stock up on water and food in the next days and get a spare tank.
>>
File: 1366351933039.png (478 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366351933039.png
478 KB, 1000x1200
Use this as inspiration
>>
File: 1366351890733_0.png (368 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366351890733_0.png
368 KB, 1000x1200
>>704049
>>
>>
File: 1366351856051_0.png (348 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366351856051_0.png
348 KB, 1000x1200
>>704050
>>
>>703559
>have a spare tire and know how to change it
how the fuck can anyone not be able to change a tire?
>drinking distilled water
u wot m8?
>>
Get the basics first. I just drove around the US for 6 months so my car was basically my lifeline when I was in the backwoods or off-road. Obviously keep basic car maintenance kit in there. Extra oil, coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, jumper cable, a decent tool box, air compressor to pump up tires, and a jack and lugnut wrench. First and foremost, know how to do basic fluid checks on your car. You wanna check those every now and then. I bought one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1000-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-with-Compressor/13035281 since I was on my own in some really rugged country. Saved my ass a few times. Also, a diagnostic code reader isn't a bad thing to have in case your car is having some issue and it throws a code at you. You can save a lot of money fixing things yourself. Obviously, also make sure you have a spare tire. A can or 2 of fix-a-flat never hurts either... I've had mixed results with that.

Next, basics. Get a tarp or tent (maybe both), sleeping bag, 3 ways to start fire, a decent cooking stove, some basic fishing gear, 2 ways to purify water, 2 decent knives, a couple flares or a strobe light to signal, a good first aid kit, and 2 weeks of food.

I have a Jeep Cherokee and my trunk is big too, so I have a ton of shit packed in there. Some extra stuff you might want to have is a good wool blanket, sunscreen, bug repellent, some condiments and spices to make food more palatable, hatchet, folding saw, firearm (depending on the legality there), a good hat, poncho or a good waterproof jacket, shampoo and soap, a few towels, and a small go bag already packed in case you have to ditch your car and go on foot for a while.

I got some cheap, 2 or 3 foot by 1.5 foot tupperware containers that I packed everything into. They stack and fit nicely in a car and don't move around. Label them so you know where to find everything and it's a really nice way to have things organized and secure when you're driving.
>>
>>704066
Sry, that was super long winded, but I love how I have my Jeep set up. My Jeep has a cover already in the trunk that I can pull over and cover my gear, but I'd suggest using the blanket to cover everything so no thieves get any ideas. I'm actually about to move out West and look for work and do some more exploring, so I've gotta re-organize and restock my SUV a bit. Take car dude, enjoy the freedom a car can bring you. Also, take care of it. It's amazing how long a car will last if you drive it properly and keep it in good condition! What kinda car btw?
>>
>>703320
> german

A first-aid kit, warning sign and safety-vest are required by law anyway. Also germany has a population density of around 230 people per square km, which means that there is no "middle of nowhere". The next town/gas station is nearly always 5-10 km away max.

So by getting real and forgetting about all this water-filter/MRE/knife shtf-scenario-prepper-fagottry you should pack:

- first-aid kit, warning sign and safety vest.
- a mobile phone and some cash
- can't hurt: starter cables and a small fire extinguisher
- When driving on the autobahn in winter: some warm plankets and hot tea in case of traffic jams.

In the end, its all about common sense and not about loading your trunk with useless stuff. Make sure your gasoline tank is full before going on the autobahn. Be a member in ADAC when driving an old junker thats in constant danger of breaking down. Yeah, and that sleeping bag might come handy - but let's be honest, that's not for some "bug out"-bullshit but for sleeping in your car after getting shitfaced drunk at a party or something.
>>
>>704069
light blue Citroen Berlingo. Not the manliest, but a very spaceous car
>>
File: IMG_20150206_181532.jpg (940 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150206_181532.jpg
940 KB, 2048x1536
>>704182
Can you post a pic please? I am American and hence love cars!

I own a 1962 Syder convertable, pic related. I keep little "survival gear" in it, beyond sunscreen and beer!

I did upgrade the jack from bottle jack to scissor lift.

Note: I love that car!
>>
>>704196
>>
Wouldnt this be a good bug out vehicle? =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-PceCa7tVY
>>
File: DSC_0751 (1).jpg (1 MB, 2800x1866) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0751 (1).jpg
1 MB, 2800x1866
>>704182
>>704200
Looks solid dude, I'll never judge a guy by what kinda car he drives. If it gets you from point A to point B, it's good in my book. Here's my baby since I guess we're postin' out cars now hah. Posted it a few times in some other threads. Has a few issues, but it's been pretty fantastic for me. 165,000 and still kickin'.
>>
>>704204
For about 25,000 miles. Then the Urals turn to shit. Bad bearing material.
>>
>>704053
>>704050
>>704049
This is good general information, despite having several things I'd never carry, but someone seriously needs to make a correction to this. An uninsulated hammock is colder than sleeping on dry ground.
>>
DON'T
FORGET
TOILET PAPER

It's one of the most important things in my kit. When you're in the middle of nowhere, hours away from a gas station, and have to take a shit, it makes a world of difference.

Keep a ton of napkins in the glove box too, just grab a handful from a fast food place the next time you're at one. It's just plain stupid not to have some handy in case something gets spilled or you need to blow your nose.
>>
>>704097
Applications to ADAC is sent.

I looked since I'm I first year of driving I get a year of ADAC for free plus a free security driving practice
>>
>>704047
>ox whip

That's an essential.
>>
I work out of my car and my little hatchback is Crammed full of equipment but I still keep:
Tarp
Tent
Wool blanket
Reflective sun screen (life saver when I'm sitting in my car all day in summer and usable as a sleeping mat)
Folding shovel
Hatchet
Assorted tools (mostly what I use for work)
Flashlight
Jumper cables
Multiple lighters
Ratchet and tow straps
Spare tire/ jack

I usually have water bottles and some type of food but nothing dedicated for emergencies.

I would also like a compressor and jump battery but I have trouble fitting groceries in the back seat as it is.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.