[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Winter in Utah?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Taos-Pueblo.jpg (95 KB, 710x480) Image search: [Google]
Taos-Pueblo.jpg
95 KB, 710x480
I am going camping in southern Utah at the end of March. I live in the Midwest, and I'm wondering how cold it is at night there?

What do I need to bring? Am I going to be freezing my ass of at night in the desert?
>>
>>701702
Learn to internet idiot and look it up yourself. Shitloads of resources.
>>
>>701707
Just a bunch of articles about buying x and y gear and blah blah blah.

I know the low will be about 35 degrees, but I want some human input. Does 35 degrees feel like it does in the midwest with 400% humidity? Or is it not a big deal?

Also, get off your period. Obviously I made a thread here for a reason.
>>
>>701710
Southern utah is a big place with lots of varying climates. If you are talking deep south, like St George, then it's going to be in the 40's at night. Zion, it'll be in the 20's, moab will be between 0 and 30, cedar city will be in the 30's, etc.

No, the cold doesn't feel like the Midwest cold.
>>
If you're not going into the mountains there probably won't be snow to worry about. I'd still go for something that keeps you comfy in below freezing though. I've had summer nights in the uintahs where I get up to piss and it freezes as soon as it hits the ground. So pack like it's going to be freezing and don't forget your extra socks.
>>
>>701707
>Seriously this.

USGS motherfucker!
>>
>>701752
I'm going to Moab. So a tent and a thermal sleeping bag is good enough then?
>>
>>701800
You'll be fine.
This current winter is the first Christmas in seven years that I was not camped in southern Utah at Xmas. By the end of March you will be fine. Don't listen to that idiot that said it might be down to 0 in Moab--he's full of shit. That would be an extremely rare year. I have actually gotten sunburned in southern Utah in mid March on Cedar Mesa (southwest of Moab). Be sure to do some hiking in the Needles District of Canyonlands, and hike Fisher Towers along Highway 128. There are great spots to camp along the Colorado River just outside Moab. Take a ride down both Kane Creek Blvd (starts at the McDonalds on main Street in Moab) which ultimately will take you along the south shore of Colorado River and also state Highway 128 on the south side of the Colorado Rive on the east side of Moab. Great camping along both roads right along the river for just a few dollars. You might want to do the short hike up to Corona Arch--one of my favorite arches of all time--along Hgihway 279 on the north shore of Colorado River west of Moab. Easy hike but it's started to get crowded there since it's been featured in a commercial or two. There is a great interagency visitor center in downtown Moab. They can answer many questions for you and make recommendations. Back to the weather. Just in case it is a freakish year weather wise, bring along some good winter bottom layers to sleep in just in case. I live in northern New Mexico and its been freakish weather this winter--but freakish on the warm sie, and I have always found it to be warmer in Utah. I don't need to tell you to have fun because you will. Southern Utah is the coolest place on Earth!
>>
>>701820

I also meant to ask you OP....why are you showing a photo of Taos Pubelo in New Mexico to ask questions about camping in southern Utah!
>>
>>701820
>sunburned in southern Utah in mid March
Because temperature has anything to do with sunburn...
>>
>>701829
>Because temperature has anything to do with sunburn...

yeah it does asshole. I wouldn't be out hiking without a shirt if it were 20 degrees out.
>>
>>701830
>yeah it does asshole
Struck a nerve did I? Maybe you should have specified where you received said sunburn, eh?

Worse sunburn I've ever had was due to the snow in close to 0° temps. But thats what happens when you aren't a pussy and can actually handle cold temps.
>>
>>701835

Why you being such a little cunt?
Did you read elsewhere in my post that said I have camped out in southern Utah over Xmas for 7 straight year. One year it was below -8 three nites in a row. Is that man enough for you dickwad? Don[t talk to me about cold temps. I live at more than 7,000 feet.
>>
File: VadgeBadge.png (151 KB, 297x297) Image search: [Google]
VadgeBadge.png
151 KB, 297x297
>>701840
>One year it was below -8 three nites in a row.
Did you get your Fun Patch for that Nancy?
>>
>>701840
OP here

Lots of suburban county park hikers full of angst and reflecting on their days of getting abused in boy scouts. They just take their angst out in this board.

I posted Taos because NM is fucking incredible, and it was the only desert picture I had. Can you suggest some NM places too? I wanted to hit that state up on the way back.
>>
>>701842

Yeah I did...I left it on your Mom's nightstand last week in lieu of payment. She sucks a mean dick.
>>
>>701844

What sort of places are you interested in (mountains, desert, badlands)? Carlsbad Caverns is pretty cool but it will be really out of the way for you....it's not anything rugged, but you won't see anything like it anywhere else. Plus, it's not too far from Guadalupe National Park in Texas (you can day hike the tallest mountain in Texas). In northern NM, people hang out around Taos a lot.
>>
>>701844
>because NM is fucking incredible

If you really believe this OP, just wait until you get to southern Utah.
>>
>>702098
And with that burn, all of the posters stayed warm all winter long in all of their outdoor activities.
>>
>>702130
> if ur 12

Seriously? Overrated post...
>>
>>701820
>I live in northern New Mexico

what part anon?
>>
>>702107
Both places are top tier /out/ adventure spots but northern NM is superior.
>>
>>702292
>northern NM is superior.

To each his own.
I've lived in northern NM for 23 years and in my opinion, and just about everyone else's who doesn't live in northern NM, southern Utah blows NM away. There's a reason there are five national parks, a huge national recreation area, and a million acre national monument in southern Utah. In northern New Mexico, you have hundreds of small towns infested with junkies. There are even guide books for trails in NM that tell you not to leave your car at the trailhead.
>>
>>702298
>you have hundreds of small towns infested with junkies

you mean 3.
espanola, chimayo and penasco.
the rest of the state amazing and virtually deserted.
so many places you can see amazing views with no other human in sight.
southern Utah is also a blast though, just not quite as diverse in landscape
>>
>>702302
>you mean 3.

Try 300...
Velarde, Ojo Caliente, Petaka, Vallecitos, Alcalde, Raton, Tierra Amarilla, Santa Cruz, Chamita...shall I go on?
And your crazy if you think the landscape is more varied in northern NM than in Utah....
>>
>>703145
none of those towns have drug problems worse than any other small American town except alcade and that is basically part of espanola.

and yes , northern new Mexico has everything from Alpine forest to sage desert to lush green valleys to near jungle Mountain trails replete with waterfalls.
lakes in deserts landscapes, lakes above the treeline, lakes in dense forest.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.