[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /overlanding/ here? Honestly the most fun I've ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: dsc_3567.jpg (236 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
dsc_3567.jpg
236 KB, 1600x1064
Who /overlanding/ here?

Honestly the most fun I've ever had. I love it all from the trail crawling to the camping. Man it doesn't get better than this.
>>
File: DSC_0436.jpg (1 MB, 1473x2200) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0436.jpg
1 MB, 1473x2200
Nice rig. My next trip is Washington/BC/Idaho this summer. This is from last year off Hole in The Rock road in Utah, about 50 miles from the nearest pavement
>>
>>701690
wish that was my rig. i just copped a completely stock 100 series that i have some plans for.

but goddamn thats some gorgeous scenery. i love your tent set up that thing looks fucking huge
>>
>>701683
>tfw /out/ is too poor for this hobby
>>
Not me, but I'm interested in a roof top tent.

Do you know how durable the CVT tents are? They seem to be the best deal in the USA (I'm trying to spend LESS than $1500.

Thanks.
>>
>>702016
>CVT tents
no way my buddy actually owns one. he thinks its the best thing ever, imo its fine but definitely not great. (the one he has at least) isnt very warm at all but that might not matter to you depending on your climate. its relatively easy to open and fairly spacious. id prob buy one if i lived in georgia or some shit
>>
i have a grand caravan that i can sleep in the back of. it'll take gravel roads well enough
>>
File: DSC_0432.jpg (2 MB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0432.jpg
2 MB, 2592x3872
>>701694
Yeah it has a lot of usable space with the way it opens into the camper shell itself, plus I leave all my gear set up ready to go so I don't need to climb down to cook, mess with my gear, change clothes, etc.
>>
>>701683
looking to build a rack-top tent like that for my ranger ahead of next years excursion. I still need some winning inspiration for how to adapt an otherwise cheap tent for the job.
>>
>>702408
really jealous. awesome set up.
im so psyched to get to work on my rig. ca also looks like its a great state for overlanding too.

>>702435
honestly i dont think youre going to be able to fit a really cheap tent to your rooftop.
youd be a lot better off just saving up for an actual one.
>>
>>702019
>warm
not a concern for me, we have 0 degree bags.
I'm more concerned about longevity, ease of setup, and weatherproofing.

Insulation is not a concern at all.
>>
File: 20150625_162038.jpg (2 MB, 3097x1737) Image search: [Google]
20150625_162038.jpg
2 MB, 3097x1737
>>702524
>saving up
I live in the states, m8- rent and health care mean I ain't saving.
I found a decent diy that one couple did and claimed it set them back $600. I'm top-tier handy with this type of thing; so actually crafting it won't be an issue. I just need the basic inspiration. Pic is my ride
>>
This looks pretty awesome. Question though: is there a particular reason for the rooftop tent aside from not having to worry finding a good place to set up a tent?
>>
Really want to get into it but being in the UK as usual makes it difficult as usual. Wanting to just get a jimny or similar just to get back into green laning again

Also got an old coworker spending a year in Africa travelling in his 110 defender, the photo make I jelly
>>
>>703230
seconding this question.

I also cant think of many situations where you absolutely cant set up a tent but can setup the rooftop tent.

intrigued
>>
File: 1208858-19-large.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1208858-19-large.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
posted on /o/ but no one seems to know about building obstacles so I thought i would find some help here. I just bought a 2003 V8 4Runner, what obstacles can I make on my old logging road to get some experience in it in its stock form and all of its 9" clearance?
>>
File: DSC_0879.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0879.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
>>703230
>>704483
With my tent (Flippac) which has access through the camper shell the best part for me is having everything already in there when I flip the tent up, my food, clothes, gear, heater, etc. It also takes about 30 seconds to flip up or down and I typically camp somewhere different every night on my trips, often hundreds of miles from the last place, arriving at night, in the rain/snow, etc. That would be the benefit of a normal rooftop tent, just sets up way faster, plus it's nice to be off the ground when you get crazy rain, bugs, you're in the snow, and so on
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.