[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be effective to make a pond in my backyard to fish from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Would it be effective to make a pond in my backyard to fish from?
>>
Depends on how big of a pond we're talking about and what species of fish you want to stock it with. It also depends on if you'll be primarily doing catch and release fishing or if you'll be taking fish out of the pond on a regular basis to eat.
>>
>>699246
You will need to buy things.
It will be expensive.
You will also need to dig a big hole.
It will hurt.
Birds and snakes will steal your fish.
It will not be funny.
What do you have to lose?

Tell you what.
Try burying a kiddie pool first, filled with gold fish.
Toss in some floating plants and an aquarium bubbler.
If they do well, proceed.
>>
My 70 year old father put a pond in on our wood lot. I borrowed a d6 cat Dozer and damed off a brook that usualy runs dry in summer. He's a member of a local wildlife club they have built a fish hatchery box. It's currently has about 100000 rainbow trout eggs that will be hatching round April. They stock local lakes for fishing we usualy keep around 300 each year

You are gonna loose some from eagles, Hawks , raccoons n local kids sneaking in to fish. It's nice to be able to walk out back door n go fishing whenever you want.
We even got funded through wood lot owners associations. It's a fire pond not a trout pond. They paid for all permits n 70% of machine cost.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (8 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
8 KB, 260x300
>>699246
You could get an "intermediate bulk container" and bury it to regulate temperature. Pic related is 330 gallons. Tilapia do pretty well in confined spaces. Just add a bubbler, and maybe some cleaner fish and you're good to go. Use the tank water to water your garden.
>>
>>699246
Yeah OP what this anon says >>699346 could be very important for you. lots of wetlands and other conservation groups pay people to put ponds and such on their land. there are certain rules of use if you accept their funding, but nothing prohibitive. i would love to have a pond. just make sure you have the land surveyed first so you don't end-up with a dried-up hole 10 months of the year and a murky swamp the other 2
>>
>>699356
That'll hold 110 lbs of tilapia. And just drilling a bunch of holes in the cap should be enough to keep out any poachers. You'd probably have to pole-fish to get them out though.
>>
>>699356

Is it true you can shit directly in the tank and the fish eat it?
>>
There's a lot of nuances to to it. Want to keep water in it? Nylon liner, plastic tub or clay.
Treating the acidity w/ lime, treating excess algae, treating lack of algae
What type of fish, do the fish synergize/balance well, do you need to restock or want something self sustaining
Structure and depth considerations
>>
>>699246
Hole+water+fish, how hard is that
>>
>>699356
Liquid tote or just tote is what they are called. Never heard anybody call them that.
>>
you'd pretty much have to make a big enough hole to support an entire habitable ecosystem, plants and bugs for the tiny fish, tiny fish for the bigger fish and bigger fish for those fish, all shit like that
>>
>>701214
Try getting a meathead to help you move. They can lift a couch themselves but can't carry it more than 10 feet before they need to rest.
Absolutely useless.

And to all who posted in this bait thread
>I applaud thee
>>
>>699971
There's countries in Asia that keep foodfish ponds and have their outhouse above the water just for that reason.

Shitty fish, anyone?
>>
>>699246
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ruLqU_ndw
>>
>>699246

Yes. Look up information about bluegill/bass ponds. You can create a self-sustaining system that you can harvest fish from.
>>
>>701888

Gonna post some links. The concept of the bluegill/bass pond is one of the most understood systems in Fisheries sciences. It's like a foundation for studying the food webs of freshwater ecology.

http://darwin.wcupa.edu/faculty/fairchild/ponds/fish%20management.html

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/water/ponds/pond-management/fisheries/fish-population-exercise

There's tons of info about it. Start familiarizing yourself with some of these concepts to provide a baseline for your research.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.