[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 1136x640
#10- "At Least 4 of Everything" Edition.

http://youtu.be/iSTIVagn2RU
This guy doesn't have nearly enough Mepps.

Just in time for another work week, I think I found a decent little fishing spot or two. The canals are nice since I don't need a boat to get to the deepest part. Also found a nice little weedy hole at one of my old lakes and there seems to be some bigger largemouth lurking around there. Either way, I'm happy because I have a few new spots to work as the largemouth are getting harder and harder to catch with the water warming up again.

Previous Thread:
>>696540
>>
>>699198

I'm somewhat tempted to try scanning one of my lures at work, and attempt "pirating" them on the side.
>>
>>699198
I tossed a little bit of line in a kettle pond on Friday before I went to RI Saltwater show.
Nothing happening yet or I wasn't getting out to a deep enough drop off.
I talked to a diver and he said they are definitely out there.
Hopefully I'll have battery figured out for yak by Tuesday and I can go out then with the garmin.
>>
>>699217
You have a 3d printer there? Fucking A, go for it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-28-11-47-14.png (652 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-28-11-47-14.png
652 KB, 1080x1920
I nominate this as new /out/ patch for the spring.

I'm so excited.
>>
>>699222

Not yet, but supposedly we're picking one up for misc. fabrication. I figure it'd be pretty easy to copy a few, and then just use the printed ones to make a shit load of molds.
>>
>>699225
One word:
Molds for Lead jigs.
>>
Anyone got experience with saltwater berkley gulp?
Swimming mullet, sandeel/eel, and shrimp? Thats the 3 we got for saltwater in yurop.
The tub with 10 pieces of 6inch eel in it is like 28 bucks here.
>>
>>699232
there are two problems here
the biggest is that those are four words not one
the other is that the plastics will melt.
what he should do is scan his favorite soft plastics, and print them. then he has a master to make a mould and cast all of that lure he wants.
>>
Pls halp. I'm out fishing for the first time with a baitcaster and I just snagged a pretty good sized largemouth, BUT when ever he would fight hard the line would just unspool. Am I suppose to thumb the line while I'm reeling it in?
>>
>>699242

I wouldn't be printing the mold, I'd be making molds out of the printed lures etc.
>>
>>699254
tighten the drag, that's the star thingy on the reel
>>
>>699254
Yes.
Also, if you have a drag on your reel, having a fish on is a good time to start setting it so that you don't have to use your thumb quite so much.
>>
>>699272
>>699274
>that's the star thingy on the reel

I was wondering what that was.... I feel retarded now
>>
>>698968
Those are only for using out of Boats/Kayaks, the telescopic kind are for land based fishing.
>>
>>699280
better to ask and learn than to be ignorant forever...
The only retarded question is the one unasked.
>>
>>699312

There are no retarded questions, just retarded people.
>>
>>699325
Aint that the truth.
>>
>>699267
Ohhhhhh
>Scan soft plastic both sides
>Print one of each maybe more
>glue together
>Use as master to make mould
>>
What lures should I have to be generally successful at bass fishing?
>>
>>699347

Inline spinners. Ewg worm hooks, 3/0 and 4/0 size. A few different types of plastic worms, curly tail, straight tail, stick baits ect. Maybe some craws or lizards. A few different bullet weights, 1/16 1/8 and 1/4. Green pumpkin is a great color for all around. My favorite color is junebug/purple. After that just experiment. Topwater lures are a ton of fun. Jigs allow you to fish in heavy cover. Crankbaits and spinner baits are good for open water/weedless areas. Maybe add a few baitholder hooks for live bait like worms and shiners.

Inline spiners and texas rigged soft plastics are generally the easiest place to start, along with live bait.
>>
>>699347
Live bait is #1. When in doubt, use the real shit. You can use all the lures you want, but if the bass are eating bream, you better have a real bream on your line if you want to catch bass.

Beyond that:
Plastic worms in the color that works best in your general area. That's about the best advice anyone can give you for artificials. There are dozens of ways to rig them, from simple wacky style to Texas rig, Carolina rig, and multiple bait arrays. Learn a few and you'll be catching fish.

After that, probably a shallow running minnow bait, lipless crankbait, and inline spinners for lighter tackle rigs.
Between those four classes of baits, I have probably gotten 90% of the fish I've ever landed from artificial baits that aren't flies. Yes, topwater lures make for spectacular looking strikes that you'll remember for the rest of your life, but when it comes to putting fish in your hand, it's hard to beat a good plastic worm.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
Anybody play around with these umbrella rigs? They look really cool, toss a few Gulp! 2" minnows on there and toss it out. I'm gonna grab one this week and give it a try.

>>699280
So, was it the drag? If you run braided line without a mono backing or a shitty knot onto the spool, sometimes all of the line will just spin around on the spool when the spool stays stationary. That is not fun at all, and you have to re-spool all of the line.

>>699347
Basically anything. I do Rapalas or soft plastic swimbaits if the water is clear. In-line spinners if it is a little murky or dark. Poppers early morning or at sunset when the water is calm. Weedless worms or crayfish towards the bottom on a jig or Carolina or Texas rig if the water is warm or cold and they are sitting deep. Like ofher dudds mentioned, live bait (minnows, shiners) will slay bass, especially in combination with a spinner. I normally run straight lures though becahse it's fun to play with.
>>
I've only ever caught 1 fish on an artificial lure after two weekends of trying
what am i doing wrong
>>
>>699440
>1 fish after 2 weekends

Lucky you, I fished lures for 2 years before finally catching something.
>>
>>699440
>>699443
There's always those certain lakes where the water is really clear and the fish get spooked, or they are so over-fished that the fish won't touch anything besides live minnows.

Funny thing is I never catch anything on live nightcrawlers anymore. But I throw on a PowerBait grub with a little beetle spin and I will catch bass, bluegill, snakehead, and those atomic sunfish.

Also if your water is still really cold, the bass could just be too lazy.

>>699330
I forgot to respond to the post in the old thread. How the hell did you manage to lose two poppers? And break a rod? Goddamn.
>>
>>699448
You catch nothing on nightcrawlers? That's weird. I spend weeks on artificials and get nothing, but bring some nightcrawlers and you get a ton of fish every day, but usually they're tiny sunfish. This is a really clear lake, though. Then again, I see others going out with rubber worms and catching several really nice bass in a couple hours. How do I work a clear lake?
>>
>>699438
>So, was it the drag?

I think so. I didn't catch anything else the rest of the day so I'm not 100% sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>699440
You also need to know the times and places to run lures. And what type to do. If you are out in the middle of the day, you can always run a Mepps 0 or 1 ot a small grub on a jig head along the shore, rocks, docks or structure, or just outside of weed beds and you should pull in bluegill, small bass, or craplie.

Early morning or around sunset is when the largemouth will really come out to feed. If you see the baitfish running around, then toss out a ~3" Rapala or rubber swim bait and run it along the side of weed beds. Jig it a little so it looks like a retarded or injured fish and the bass will go for it.

In the morning or afternoon if the water is calm and you ass the bass juming towards the tol, start running a popper or weedless fog. Pop it 2-3 times, wait a few seconds, repeat. Run them just outside weed beds. Topwater is a good way to get big bass.
>>
I usually use my friends equipment when we go fishing, but I want to get my own so I can fish at my own leisure. What's the bare bones minimum amount of gear I should get starting out to be at least mildly successful?

>rod
>line
>hook
>bait
>knife
>cooler

How necessary are things like bobs and sinkers? I've always just taken them for granted.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>699454
Yeah man I have tossed out nightcrawlers in spots where I get bass on lures, and don't have shit with the worms. It's strange.

For clear water, I have better luck with life-like minnow lures. This one lake down the street is normally pretty clear, and my main lure over there is a gold colored Rapala. If it is sunny and daytime, I rarely have luck with spinners. If it is real cloudy or the sun is setting, that's when I can run a Mepps or Skitter Pop and have some luck.

The canal I was fishing this morning was really clear and I didn't have shit for luck on spinners or Rapalas. But they were eating up pic related. Also, a floro leader never hurt in clear water, especially of you are running braid or heavier mono.
>>
>>699464
If you're fishing live bait or even dead stuff for catfish or carp, sinkers and bobbers are a must. Theh are cheap enough. Just buy a pack of 1/8oz or 1/4oz split shots and a 2pk of spring bobbers.
>>
>>699464
Yep, all that.
Bobbers and sinkers are essential too, especially in combination.
There's a concept called "balancing your bobber", and it allows you to detect really light strikes with whatever bobber you decide to use. Basically, you pick a bobber the right size and then add sinkers to the line until it just barely floats above the surface while your (baited) hook is at the depth you want it to be.
>>
>>699438
>all of the line will just spin around on the spool when the spool stays stationary
fuck me, I did not know this. I've only spooled 2 with braid for this year so far. Have 2 more that I was planning on braid.

>umbrella rigs
was tempted at the salt water show to pick up some. They're really more for trolling but you can cast/retrieve them.
I'll probably grab a few local to try this year.

Ethical question.
I bought a rod from a small mom & pop shop and got a great price on the reel BUT the rod was about 30% more than I should have paid. I have no issue paying them more but I think this is too much more.
Thinking I should go back and tell then they must have mismarked it rather than call them out and start a bad rapport. Anyone else have a suggestion? Or should I just suck it up and be glad I supported local?
>>
>>699476
Suck it up dude. Those prices are to be expected from mom and pop shops. You should've googled the price beforehand if it was that big of a deal. Also, are we talking a $30 rod or $300 rod? If it's very high end, then maybe consider returning if you have a receipt.
>>
>>699448
well the rod broke because i hooked the lure on the eye guide and then realised "wait i need to seperate the two halfs to put this in my backpack" so then, thinking that half inch wouldnt hurt anything since ive done it so many times before, i just seperated it (i really didnt use that much pressure) and the tip top broke off

the first popper i lost because my 10 pound braid snagged in that little clip where the line goes when you take the spool off the reel and it flew 80 feet and landed in some lilly pads. im pretty sure i saw a seagull try to scoop it out of the water, the second i lost because the line geting stuck on that little hook keeper thats near the handles of a lot of rods, the line broke, it went over a small manmade wall that i was fishing behind, landed in the river, and got washed away.

the reason i was fishing poppers is cause there were a lot of dead and dieing shad floating on the surface and i figured "well those make an easy meal, that must be what the fish are eating. theyre easy to see and easy to catch" i figure there were just too many shad for them to be interested in eating
>>
>>699487
should have been 80-90, paid 110
Price on the reel was 40 less than I've seen anywhere so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna suck it up and still support them. I'll just google, like you say. before I buy bigger purchases going forward. I definitely don't mind paying more, just was surprised because usually they are ballpark or over by 10-15% which I'm cool with.
>>
>>699499
>tip top broke off
grrrrrrrrrr
>seagull
skyrat/rodent with wings -- ftfy

Have I said today how much I love google earth for scoping out new sites? For shoreline it's so awesome finding structure.
>>
>>699464
>6'6-7' uglystik original
>shakespeare excursion with two spools
>spool one with 6 pound test berkley trilene original
>spool the other with green 20 pound power pro
that set up will get you everything from 4 inch blue gill to catfish and carp.
>huks
>find the 3 dollar rotary thing of aberdeen hooks, should be blue and they should be bronze
>that will get you up to 2 pound fish
>get a pack of #2 baitholder hooks
>that will get you bass pike carp and cats of reasonable size
>3/0 octopus hooks
>that will get big catfish and pike, dont worry if you play them youll get them
cooler
>look around garage sales and thrift shops, thats where i got all my coolers. ive never spent more than 15 dollars on a cooler.
knive
>rapala 7inch filet knife
>cheap
>plenty to filet a lot of fish of many sizes
>can also cut bait, line, etc
>has sharpener built in to the plastic sheath
bait
>no reccomendations aside from minnows, shiners, and worms
also get weights.
>get a little thing that has an assortment of splitshot
>get a small pack of 1/2 ounce sinkers
that is the most do-it-all rod and reel combo you can get. i use it for flounder, spot, croaker, and small bluefish in the outer banks of north carolina, blue gill, bass, crappie, catfish, carp, pike, walleye, perch, and just about anything under 30 pounds in fresh water. ive even got a 3 foot wide ray on that combo. all in all youll be in for well under 80 bucks and youll have a great set up that even if you only use once a year will be worth the money.
>>
>>699347
From a strictly lures perspective...

Topwater:
- Buzz Baits
- Poppers
- Spooks/Walking Baits
- Oddball/Creature baits (Jitterbug, Crazy Crawler, etc)

Shallow-to-Midwater:
- Squarebill or Mid-Diving Crankbaits
- Suspending Jerkbaits
- Drop Shot or Wacky Rigging (fairly variable-depth rigs)

Bottom Fishing:
- Jigging Spoons
- Skirted Jigs (Flipping Jigs, Football Jigs)
- Bullet Weights, Bobber Stops, Beads and Wide-Gap Worm hooks for Carolina/Texas rigging soft plastic craws/lizards/worms/creatures/etc)

Variable Depth/Speed Baits:
- Lipless Crankbaits/Rat-L-Traps
- In-Line Spinners, Jig Spinners and typical Spinnerbaits
- Vibrating Blade type baits ("Silver Buddy" is the only brand I've ever used)

If your situation permits (deeper waters and a vessel to fish them with) some deep diving crankbaits are often worth having but you'll almost certainly need a rod specific for them. That same rod can probably double for running Alabama/Umbrella Rigs and small-to-medium swimbaits depending upon their weight.

There is tons of stuff I'm certainly forgetting that others might consider more essential than anything I've mentioned so far. But most of what I've listed is above is what I won't leave home without.
>>
File: squirrel stare.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
squirrel stare.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>699511
im just going to buy a heavy uglystik like i should have from the beginning. im too poor and distructive for anything fragile, i need something thats cheap and indestructable.
>tfw i have yet to break an uglystik to spite running one over with a 450 pound motorcycle
>>
>>699499
I always get pissed off when the line gets caught on the littke hook keeper. That Berkley Lightning Rod has the hook keeper on the reel side and I sometimes get the line caught in there while casting.

On that Abu Vendetta spinning rod, they actually put the hook keeper on the top of the rod which is a good idea and eliminates the chance of that happening. Same deal with that BPS Carbonlite, except the hook keeper is on the side.

Can't remember which retailer, but either Bass Pro or Dick's has Ugly Stik Elites on sale right now. I think it is $10 off so they are the same price as regular Ugly Stiks. Also you may want to check out those Berkley Lightning Rods. They run about the same price as Ugly Stiks. I have the "Shock" version designed for braid and I have been impressee. Bass Pro has them, but I actually found mine at Walmart. It was one of the few rods there without a broken tip.

>>699502
Juat suck it up. Next time see if they will price match maybe. Just tell em you would rather give them the business but don't want to get ripped off.

>>699476
The line slipping is why lots of reels these days have a rubber srip on the spool. If they don't have the rubber strip; you are supposed to spool a few yds of mono first and attach the braid to that. If your knot is tight and you spooled the braid tight, you should be fine. I had that issue on an ultralight Shimano before and had to respool it.
>>
>>699567
i like having one but i want it to be well placed. like if where the reel sits is 12 o-clock and youre looking at it from the butt i want the hook keeper to be at about 2:30 o-clock on spinning rods and either 9 or 3 on casting rods. and they have to be those inline ones where its a piece of wire that was bent and fixed top and bottom, i hate those ones that its a little loop thats only affixed at one end. theyre easier to hang up on and theyre not as strong (not that they need to be crazy strong but still)
also i said i was going to make a light surf casting combo, and now that i think, i might just get a 10 foot casting rod and use my ambassadeur. 30 pound test is strong enough to cast up to 3 ounces imo, so i wont need a leader that runs all the way in to my reel, and it casts heavier baits like a dream. ill get an uglystik casting surf rod between 9 and 10 feet and just cast with that. not to mention there isnt much that i could catch that i cant handle with 30 pound test. id be comfortable throwing a 3 ounce jig at a ray hoping a cobia is under it with that combo, honestly.
>>
>>699584
>>699567
oh and 250+ yards is plenty to handle most anything. flounder, speck, puppy drum, small blues, and anything else like that i could drag in no problem. hell, i would be half tempted to put a chunk-o-fish on a 4/0-6/0 circle hook with a two ounce weight and heave it for drum if i had a clicker on it. i dont think id hesitate much if at all to throw it at blues and striper either.
>>
Whats the best knots for terminal tackle in terms of strength and action (for wobblers)

All i use rn is palomar onto a swivel clip, which i know isnt right but i still didnt get any fluoro.
I use palomar for everything, swivels, hooks, end leads etc.

But im getting some 0.30 8PE, what should i do then?
>>
>>699602
Loop knot, aka Rapala knot, is what manufacturers recommend to keep from choking the wobbling lure's action.
>>
>>699671
But will it handle a decent bluefish or other decently sized predator up to 6-7kg.
>>
>>699679
...and that's the rub.
Personally I do as you do, with a clinch knot into a snap swivel, but I suppose with braid that's strong enough it'd be just fine.
>>
>>699688
Then we come to the question of secure high strength knots for PE Braids to substitute palomar
>>
What knots do you guys do for tying leaders? Like flouro to braid?

I know somebody reccommended some knots but can't remember the names. I do uni-uni because I can keep them clean and they don't get caught up on the guides while casting. I would be down to try something new though. Whenever I break the line, it is always at the uni-uni knot.
>>
File: albright-special.jpg (75 KB, 464x470) Image search: [Google]
albright-special.jpg
75 KB, 464x470
>>699733
Albright. Never had it slip/fail on me so I don't bother looking up other knots.
>>
>>699735
Does it matter which way I go? I would probably do braid as the white and flouro as the blue since the braid will be thinner. Braid also seems to hold up better to being twisted and knotted like that.
>>
>>699740
Uh braid is the white. You use the mono to double over so you don't risk cutting it with the braid.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 640x1136
Is Hawaii bro still in here? I know he was complaining about shipping costs on everything. This may help.
>>
>>699747
Alaska and Hawaii are usually the exclusions
>>
>>699733
Here you go:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots
>>
>>699747
Just tried ordering a cheap hat. They wanted to slap an extra $10 on there for it.
>>
>>699735
This knot is GOAT.
>>
>>699778
Maybe I need to practice it more but damn it is tricky making it up unless you have a table or something to sit it all on.
>>
>>699783
Spit lube it and get good at holding the knot together during the process
>>
>>699778

Im still an advocate for the fg knot. Still havent had one fail to this day. I watched an improperly tied albright slip right in front of my face. My fault, but the fg is impossible to tie wrong, is thinner, and supposedly better breaking strength in the knot tests.
>>
>>699735
>GOAT
thats the only knot i use. i experemented with a few recently but ultimately i love this. add on an albright lock or an improved albright and youre ready to catch anything
>>
File: knot-bracket.jpg (57 KB, 934x680) Image search: [Google]
knot-bracket.jpg
57 KB, 934x680
>>
File: arbor_knot_new.jpg (39 KB, 464x603) Image search: [Google]
arbor_knot_new.jpg
39 KB, 464x603
Also, recently pointed out to me and I kicked myself in the ass for not thinking of it on my own.
If possible with any knot (I'm thinking palomar to swivel, lure, hook) tie an extra simple knot before cutting the free end, like on an arbor knot to reel.
>>
>>699875
What was the starting line weight
>>
File: cjeKZec.png (1 MB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
cjeKZec.png
1 MB, 1023x682
WHO
IS
READY
FOR
SPRING
>>
>>699944
SPRING
P
R
I
N
G

We got some mad southern wind murking up the waters here. Good start if you ask me. Must go out fishin again.
Gotta get me those xxx-rap cast 36g lures too!
>>
>>699759
That sucks

>>699847
That FG knot looks really bulky after you get done with the 90 steps it takes to tie it. That's why I like that uni-uni knot. On a ~4' leader, it doesn't get caught up on the guides when casting.
>>
File: stompinggrounds.png (3 MB, 1454x910) Image search: [Google]
stompinggrounds.png
3 MB, 1454x910
>>699945
I strolled a few miles down the river today, real, real murky.

was 60+ up here today, which was nice. Also just secured an apartment right on the river, with about 300 yards of waterfront, 2 miles up stream from the ocean.

SO HYPED
>>
>>699944
im ready! as soon as i get a new fishing lisense im going to try a hole near me called breakneck creak that has pike in it. i figure if anything will bite in such cold water it will be pike.
>>
>>699946
the fg knot is actually pretty slender. i mean yeah its a long knot but its a thin knot that passes through eyeguids well. i just tried tieing it again and it seems really nice.
>>
File: CANYOUFEELIT.png (2 MB, 1058x756) Image search: [Google]
CANYOUFEELIT.png
2 MB, 1058x756
>>699949
in my area the pickerel start spawning this week, so I'll be on that bite here pretty soon.

Just picked up a new UL setup too, will post photos later.
>>
>>699947
is it just me being crazy or is that a jetty at camp ellis with a FUCKING DEEP hole right off it on the north side?
i know where i wanna fish,
>>
File: IMG_20150703_071832379.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150703_071832379.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
>>699955
yeah the jetty is good, pretty much striper on north side, flounder/fluke south side, then biddeford pool is real good for striper and winter flounder.

I pretty much just fish the jetty for mackerel, then up river and in the bays, off rock cliffs for striper. I try not to spend time at the jetty, way to many people fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 640x1136
>>699956
That's how I feel about the pier by my house.

I should go back by the inlet. Went there once before. I was on the south side right next to the bridge. But it was a pain in the ass since the tide was going in and just pulling my shit towards the bridge and tangling it no matter how big the weight was.
>>
>>699956
man i want to go to a coast again. i love saltwater fishing so much more than fresh water. i dont know why but i do
>>
i want so much to live right on the water and fish the ocean every day, but costal living is so fucking expensive.
whats the cost of getting a houseboat and just staying in the ocean, then once a year getting it maintained compared to buying a shitty piece of land by the water and erecting a shack with a matress and calling it home?
>>
>>699965
Move to the Keys. There are so many people who live on little boats in the harbors. I'm guessing half the boats don't even run. They take their little dinghy to the land to go shopping and hang out at the bar for awhile, and go back to the boat for the night. It's basically like a trailer park on the water.
>>
>>699973
I might just do that. I'll need to get a storage locker near by though for my motorcycle
>>
>>699956
>newengland.jpg
>>
>>699925
10 & 30

This diagram shows the head to head matches that took place as part of this analysis. The test consisted on 3 rounds… 3rd round was the winning knot tied against itself to test its strength. The red values below the names of the knots represents the amount of pull strength that the knots where able to withstand in each round. Lines used were 10 lb PowerPro braid and 30 lb Ande Fluorocarbon.

saltstrong.com
Some decent articles from my quick perusal.
>>
>>699990
I love New England. I don't know if I could live anywhere else. I hate heat.
>>
File: fuckthisknot.jpg (2 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisknot.jpg
2 MB, 2160x3840
Why cant i into FG knot.
Hold me /out/ this shit is about to make me lose my shit. Fucking shitty ass day, jesus christ.
>>
>>700027
I haven't tried yet. I usually go braid to swivel w/ palomar, swivel to flouro/mono with palomar.

Line to line will be a new feat.
>>
>>700031
And braid holds up with the palomar?
Ive read that its 94% strong with mono, but all this talk about PE being bad with knots made me try and do this shit... Which clearly isnt going well.

Luckily i got about 80yds of this shitty old DAM Hypron braid to learn, its from back when braid first appeared here.
>>
trolling a couple o years ago
>>
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Tatula_CT_Casting_Reel/descpage-T1.html

New tatula compact comes in at 129.99. If any of you want a quality starter, I'd suggest waiting for this.
>>
>>700035
I have great luck with the palomar knot and braid.

Just tied a 20lb floro leader onto this one rod, and I forgot how much I hate dealing with line that isn't braid. 20lb flouro is just so damn thick comlared to any of the braid I use. And it's so stiff that it doesn't like to tie tight knots. That's one of the nicest things about braid. It doesn't mind being crushed when you tighten a knot really well, and that same aspect keeps them from coming loose. It's almost like tying a knot in a shoelace compared to an extension cord. Shoelace being braid.
>>
>>700048
honestly after spending as much time with heavy lines as i have 20 seems pretty thin and managable. work with some 50 and 100 pound test and youll see what i mean.
>>
>>700048
I havent had any issues tying 0.30 and 0.40 mono to hooks/swivels.

I quite hate the "looseness" of the braid desu. With somewhat rigid mono you can handle it easier in some cases... In others it is a pain.
>>
>>700035
>braid holds up with the palomar?
1st time I've tried braid so yet to be determined...
>>
File: 00606_lpoMyi93Dlu_600x450.jpg (36 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00606_lpoMyi93Dlu_600x450.jpg
36 KB, 600x337
>>700027
are you tying the wrong ends with the wrong material? try flipping the knot, braid on opposite side, mono on other, or are your lines too different to tie?

Got a Shimano Sienna 1000FD and an Okuma SST-S-702UL for 40$ today. Looks like it's barely been used.
>>
>>700060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

Using this method. Or trying to.

>>700059
Yeah hopefully my daiwa 8pe tournament finally ships tomorrow so ill take some of it and try to load test it somehow with a palomar on a swivel.
>>
>>700060
Those Siennas aren't bad. I bought one after reading some reviews and it was almos unanimous that the Sienna is the way to go for <$40. Only thing I dislike about it is they don't seem to hold a lot of line for the size. I have a 500 for an ultralight and it didn't hold shit for 4lb mono or 10lb braid. Has 6lb mono on it with a 5'6" Ugly Stik for them Mepps 0's but even with the 6lb it doesn't seem to hold a ton.

I still want to get on a Symetre and I hope it doesn't have the same problem. I wouldn't buy a 500 though.
>>
I bought a $20 spinning reel and it consistently tangles. How can I limit tangling?
>>
>>700062
>>700059
You will be ok. All I tie is palomars on the braid. Never had an issue. Idk if it's just me, but from everything I mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like braid really loses strength at the knots nearly as much as mono and flouro. All the individual strands in braid, it seems like they do just fine being crushed and squeezed.
>>
>>700064
Did you put too much line on it? Or old line?
>>
>>700068
It's new line, but I'm not sure if it's too much. How can I tell?
>>
Chain Pickerel bite year-round right? How can I target them in the cold water?
>>
>>700084
General rule is to leave about 1/8" on the spool. When you put more than that, you risk casting out big birds nests.
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 640x1136
Pretty nice fish I caught today using a Yum! CrawBug.
>>
>>700117
you wrestle with it on the ground for a while after you caught it?
>>
>>700127
I had to give it some lovin
>>
>>700127
But in all honesty I felt really bad that I dropped him. I let him go so hopefully he'll be alright.
>>
>>700138
He'll be fine. You get a weight?
>>
>>700142
No, I need to buy a scale some time
>>
File: 20160229_202900.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160229_202900.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>699946

Here is a picture I took of an fg (left) vs a uni to uni (right). Thw uni is fatter and shorter, the fg longer and slimmer, with virtually no tag ends showing. Sorry about the quality, my camera wont focus anymore. I shatered the glass on my phone lol. Still works though.

I tied the fg with 20+ wraps and 3 half hitches to secure. The uni is 10 wraps braid, 8 wraps mono. 20# braid and mono. Berkely big game and power pro.

I tied the braid of both lines to a fixed point, made sure the knots were even, and wrapped the mono of both around a glove and slowly pulled. The uni snapped at the braid, the fg held at the knot, and the braid broke where I tied it at the fixed point using some crappy overhand/arbor knot abomination lol. I just didnt want it to slip.

For tying braid to a swivel of lure, I use a palomar, or double palomar. Never had one slip.

>>700064

If it came spooled with line, its probably too full, or has taken the shape of the reel and " accordians off the spool. If you spooled it yourself, you may have done it incorrectly and are suffering fron line twist. May sure to lay the spool flat and that its winding on the same way it's coming off.

>>700086

Also this.
>>
>>700162
Now tie the braid back on with a uni to the fixed point and the mono a uni to something to pull on. I'm curious where the line breaks- fg, uni, or mid line
>>
>>700117
nice fish

>>700087
fuuu that i spool that sucker right up to the lip. I also adjust my washers for the spool to get a specific line lay [lays more line at the front of the spool] I find I have issues if I'm not using a swivel and my mono or braid starts to wrap or wind wierd, or not resetting my line after gettting wind knot or fishing a windy day.
>>
File: IMG_20150712_195145967.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150712_195145967.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>700162
this is the knot I use.
>>699735
Has never failed me
>>
File: duck-swimbait.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
duck-swimbait.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
btw if anyone knows where to buy these, or can find them in person let me know
>>
>>700204
What goes for these? Pike?
>>
>>700206
bass, striper, pickerel.

pretty much anything that is predatory.
>>
>>700187
Only time I ever had an issue with it was when I had flouro spooled all the way full. I'm guessing the fact that it is so stiff didn't help.
>>
>>699973
This is my absolute dream. I've already gotten my wife on board with it, it's just a matter of giving up my obsession with buying gear.
>>
>>700035
The palomar knot is generally accepted as being one of the "go-to" knots when using braid.
>>
Okay so here is my plan.
I'm going to keep my ambassador on the shimano rod now that I fixed it. Then I'm going to eventually put it on a heavier uglystik about 7 feet long and use it as a big-lure rod (swim baits, pike and musky stuff, maybe catfish, what have you) and some day I'll put it on a 9-10 foot rod and use it for throwing light stuff in the surf (Under 3 oz) to get things like flounder, small blues, spot and croaker to use as bait, maybe throwing jigs at rays from a pier hoping for cobia etc.
>>
>>700204

Shazam.

Http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Persuader_Baby_Duck/descpage-PERBYDK.html

>>700183

Not sure I entirely understand what you mean, but I have a better way to test them tomorrow.
>>
>>700238
Instead of granny knots tie the braid with a uni and mono to a handle of some kind with a Palomar and see if the uni Palomar or fg knot breaks first
>>
>>700238
>Shazam.

out

of

stock

trust me bud, i've tried like 15 different stores and the manufacture only sells them in bulk.
>>
>>700259
Found you a couple on ebay. You're welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duckling-Lure-Great-Condition-No-Name-6-Pictures-Hard-Plastic-Free-Shipping-/291681294414?hash=item43e98f584e:g:qlMAAOSwFNZWumki

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-CARVED-WOOD-DUCKLING-Ice-Fishing-DECOY-Muskie-LURE-Excellent-original-/141908133598?hash=item210a6246de:g:x9UAAOSwe7BWx0Vs
>>
>>700262
haha wow, didn't even think of ebay, thank you.
>>
>>700266
there are actually a few that are somewhat affordable when you search for "baby duck lure".
>>
>>700268
I might try to make one honestly.
>>
File: adsfadfadsf.png (3 MB, 1478x984) Image search: [Google]
adsfadfadsf.png
3 MB, 1478x984
whoa.

someone in FL needs to procure one of these.
>>
>>700273
That's bad ass
>>
>>700255

Tomorrow I will tie the braid to a split ring and hang them both from nails, tie the fg and a uni to uni, and a knot to a swivel. Then I will put 5# weights on each and see. Then 10#. Then slowly add 1lb till one breaks.

What knot should I use for the swivel, palomar, or improved clinch. Its 20# big game mono.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 564x423
Actually caught a couple fish on one of these.
Yes, they were redneck fish, why do you ask?
>>
>>700488
I used to have one of those from my dad's tacklebox. In the list of stuff I shoulda took with when I moved.
>>
Update:
>Day 2. Knot attempt 12.
>If i ever tie a proper FG knot im gonna somehow use it to hang myself.
>>
>>700579
UNI
N
I

I still need to try that Albright tho
>>
File: bud_0677.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
bud_0677.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>700488
>>700497
must be a dad thing. I got this when I picked up my dad's stuff.
>>
Does anyone have any tips on how to catch fish with Mepps spinners? i have a bunch of them but the only thing i've ever caught on them was a small pike. I have good luck for tout, bass and pike with spoons but spinners never seem to produce for me.
>>
>>700623

Fish them as slow as the weeds/bottom structure will allow you.

>>700579

How are you failing exactly? List your steps.
>>
>>700619
Albrights rock
>Capcha
>Select all images with fish
>>
>>700631
Im doing it like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

According to my latest attempt, i feel like i put too much tension on the braid. I managed to get the first few twists to look ok, then the rest just goes to shit either during the twisting, or when i release tension.
>>
>>700631
Where should i fish them? Along weed edges and drop offs?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo28cB4gh_0
>>
>>700623
I almost jig them a little bit. Reel it at medium speed for a few feet, let it fall for a split second, repeat.

When you let it fall, the blade dances a little bit and the fish love it. I get a lot of bites right after the pause. Pretty much the same way I fish most Rapalas.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>700666
Checked.

And basically. Same places you would fish any lure that is supposed to replicate a baitfish. I use them along weed beds, try to run them parallel to then shore, and sometimes I just throw them straight out from shore as far as I can.

Also with Mepps and other spinners, fishing them in clear water on sunny days isn't the best. Murky water or on a cloudy day, a gold or silver blade is good since it will give off enough flash to get some attention. I have good luck with them at dusk as well, even at night time. The vibrations get the bass going.
>>
>>700699
What fish is that?
>>
>>700715
snakehead
>>
>>700649
>>700579
UpUpdate:
>Attempt 20ish
>Signs of improvement.
>On the brink of making this fucker.
>>
File: waterbodyrecord_redacted.jpg (171 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
waterbodyrecord_redacted.jpg
171 KB, 768x1024
>take friend out on the boat to fish for catfish
>friend doesn't fish very often, but enjoys it
>I have caught literally hundreds of catfish out of this lake before
>friend ends up catching the lake record while we're fishing together

He just got this in the mail today, I'm pretty jelly. I hope to have a couple of these hanging on my wall someday.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>700715
>>700729
Bullseye snakehead to be exact
>>
>>700742
rip
>>
>>700623
I fish it on a spinning reel just fast enough to get the blade to spin and twitch my rid tip every four cranks or so. Works like mad on panfish if you keep it out of the weeds.
>>
man I can't bring myself to skewer live minnows
I guess that means I'm a pussy but I feel like such as asshole torturing those little guys
>>
>>700748
Their brain functionality isn't much more than an insect's to be honest. It's all instinct and reacting to stimuli in a predetermined way. They don't have the mental capacity for suffering.
>>
File: DOESTHISSHITCOUNT.jpg (835 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DOESTHISSHITCOUNT.jpg
835 KB, 2592x1944
>>700731
I tried to potato cam it through a super magnifying whatchamacallit on my magnifying thingamajig.
>>
>>700748
Up through the chin and out between and slighty above the eyes.
>>
>>700756
Just as a sidenote, im the unable to do the F(ucking)G Knot dude, just forgot to remove my name from /sp/... So i guess ill let it stick.

Anyway does that knot look like its worth any thing?
Provided i know the last few twists were dun goofed and i fucked up the hitch at the end but whatever. Im just cutting strands of line to learn this shit.
>>
Reel seat time! Grips put on!
>>
>>700744
theyre an invasive menace anyways.
>>
>>700761
looks pretty close. what i have been doing is while pulling the braid one way and the end of the leader the other, ive been using my teeth to pull the tag of the mono out at a 90 degree angle to the leader/braid pulling, it seems to force the twists in the braid to cram closer together (ive tied about 30 of these knots over the past few days, and sorry about wasting about 10 feet of that braid you got me pepsifag) and that seems to be working best for me
>>700762
dorm room rod guy i presume?
>>
>>700762
also
>762
30 cal checked
>>
>>700767
>>700768
Yup. Trying to figure out how to saw down my reel seat with a pocket knife and a fingernail file.
>68
6.8 spc checked.
>>
>>700748
You are, but it's not wanton. It's the only way to get the live bait that catches bass most effectively. If there was a less cruel way that worked just as well, we'd all use that instead, but there isn't. In the meantime, you can tell yourself that you're not disrupting the food chain at all. Minnows are the natural food of bass anyway, You're just using that fact to your advantage, and adding a hook to remind the bass that they are not the last link in that chain.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-01-17-36-27.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-01-17-36-27.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
Was cold as balls today, which is wierd considering it was 60+ yesterday.

Did some trespassing to explore a few new spots, got a couple good tressy spots in the bank for late summer.
>>
>>700775
You were getting 60+ in maine? Damn the best we've had so far in CT is ~53
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>700762
Bout time.

>>700736
You got a pic of the fish?

Reminds me of when my lil bro got that big ol' largemouth a couple months ago. I have never gotten a bass that big. I just got him started fishing towards the end of the summer and he doesn't go out much. I was more excited about the fish than he was. Plus he pulled it out on an ultralight with a 1/8oz Rooster Tail.
>>
>>700748
its actually been proven that fish hardley have a capacity to feel pain, so dont worry about it. fish- particularly baitfish, are more or less swimming automatons. and if your fishing, how much of a step is using one as bait? the only difference is instead of stabbing it with a barbed spike and wrestling it to you is youre stabbing it in the body with a barbed spike then tossing it to predators- where what little it does feel is quickly extinguished.
>>
>>700778
Cape was almost 60 yesterday too. It was like 40 today but no wind so it felt kinda nice. Boston was 64 yesterday I think.
>>
>>700779
hnestly thats how i got a bass that size too, the biggest ive ever caught. i was panfishing with 4 pound mono and a 1 inch rapala, he exploded on the thing, and wrapped himself around some lilly pads. i said "oh no you dont" and with my shoes still on and my wallet in my pocket, i tredged out chest deep to grab the fucker. my dad wasnt happy when he came to pick me up, i had to ride home in the back of the suburban (where a 3rd row seat would go) on a tarp. that was a good day.
>>
>>700767
My main problem is that while youre doing the twists, the leader end of the mono must stay tight, and you tighten the tag end after every twist so it straightens out and gets the braid to snug up properly, the mono just slips slowly in my hands every pull. Thats why the later twists are fucked up, if you look at the pic the part towards the bottom is the first 10 twists which are pretty much spot on, the rest is all over the place.

But then again im my own worst critic and a perfectionist when it comes to shit i do for myself...

Ill just probably keep using palomar, but i figure this should get me started on learning some other knots than the two i always use.
Need to learn to splice end loop in ropes too.
>>
File: philhitsafatty.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
philhitsafatty.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
>>700778
yeah, yesterday it hit about 62, which was weird, considering last year this time we had three snow storms that were crazy.

>>700781
ah man can't wait for late summer race point bluefish

>>700779
>>700786
It's ok, just be glad your inexperienced girlfriend doesn't out fish you constantly.

I really think beginner's luck isn't luck, but the confidence level of a new fisher being displayed through the bait, and their uneasy, weird fishing behavior can be translated into a predator fearing baitfish.

Like when a beginner get's a hit while paused on a crankbait without realizing how he moved the bait with the pause.

>>700788
>mono slips

I think you are tying it backwards, pretty sure you want the braid to "cinch" or "squeeze the mono, this is why these braid to leader knots are so efficient.

Anyways, got a go-pro and chest/rod/head mount for my birthday, [gotta love having a sugamomma girlfriend] as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I'm catching more than one fish a day I will be cranking out video like a mofucka.

The gopro will compliment my 5D nicely as a second camera.
>>
>>700793
>go-pro and chest/rod/head mount for my birthday
W000t! Happy B~day
I'm gonna get a cheapo knock off for like $60 from Amazon.

I spent the day figuring out how to get 12V in my yak.
Went with motorcycle battery and then found the perfect buss type thing at West Marine. I'll post pics when I get it all together. Just need 2 washers to finish it now, at least that's what I think.
>>
>>700794
I've got a SJCAM SJ4000 go pro knockoff that I use as a helmet cam on motorcycle rides, it works pretty good, I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>700793
luckily i dont have a girl lol
>>
>>700797
>SJCAM SJ4000
I like it, thx
>>
>>700793
I dont mean that mono slips from the knot. It slips slowly in my hands when im holding it tight.

On my previous knot test, that one was my second best, the knot held up, instead the 20kg test mono broke just before the knot lol.

>GoPro
Jelly af, i wish i could afford a cam to get into youtube just in general. My 0.5Mbit/s upload wouldnt do me any favors either (thats 50 fucking kB/s)
>>
>>700803
I'd order it from SJCAM.com because there are a lot of knockoffs that claim to be made by SJCAM on amazon and ebay that are inferior. It's quite funny really, SJCAM is a go pro knockoff that has knockoffs made of it now.

I got just the base SJ4000, no WiFi or anything. It comes with all sorts of mounts and cases for the camera.
>>
File: Snakehead vs bowfin.jpg (312 KB, 1925x1488) Image search: [Google]
Snakehead vs bowfin.jpg
312 KB, 1925x1488
>>700729
>>700742
are you sure that' not a bowfin? I've caught a few bowfin and they all have the dark spot right before their tail fin. It looks like a bowfin, which is a native species in north america
>>
>>700810
I don't see it as much as a knockoff, as it is a competitor.

It's a really nice alternative.

>>700811
fuck both those fish, greasy bastards.
>>
>>700811

This is probably going to be like the 20th time. No, it isn't a bowfin.
>>
I'm tempted to pick this rod up.
http://maine.craigslist.org/spo/5456555032.html

anyone ever use MHX? it's been on the market for a few months now, might scoop it.
he also has these for sale, which I'm totally going to buy.
http://maine.craigslist.org/spo/5452570892.html
>>
>>700816
Mhx is a blank rand owned by mudhole/american tackle. As long as it's put together well, I don't see why not.
>>
>>700811
positive
>>700813
bowfin are native and good
>>
>>700824
oh, so the rod was custom built.

A lot of Maine guy's have been known to use carp gear for striper, I have no idea how to tell if it's put together finely, outside of holding it and feeling the balance, and basic aesthetics.

Would be nice to get the rod for a project and throw a UK Shimano X-AERO under it.
>>
>>700813
No, the SJCAM is definitely a knockoff of the GoPro. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, I'm quite happy with my SJ4000 and believe that it offers comparable video quality along with many more features and options than the lower-end GoPros do for a fraction of the price.

I consider it a knockoff because the GoPro came first, it popularized the "action camera" format and is known around the world as the "name brand", so to speak, when talking about helmet cams / action cams. They spent millions of dollars in marketing and sponsorship deals to become a household name, their camera's small boxy form factor is instantly recognizable as "a GoPro" because there was nothing else that really looked like it when they first came out (most helmet cams at the time had a cylindrical design). THEN, SJCAM came along with their SJ4000. Their camera's form factor is so similar to the GoPro that you can actually use THE EXACT SAME cases, accessories, and attachments for both the GoPro cameras and the SJ4000 cameras. SJCAM is a relatively unknown Chinese company that spends next to nothing on marketing and brand recognition. Their business model was to make a product that looked almost exactly like a very popular name-brand product while offering similar features at a much lower price point in the hopes that they would skim a few sales off the name-brand giant without having to put any effort into advertising. SJCAM is the very definition of a "knockoff".
>>
>>700829
>>700829
>GoPro came first
Sure, in terms of marketing and outreach to the consumer crowd. But there were a few prosumer and professional products that have been around for a while in the same form factor, but yeah you are correct, SJCAM is a knockoff, however it's quality and features are comparable to gopro.
>>
>>700814
you're right sorry man. I didn't know bullseye snakehead were a thing, i'm from michigan so we don't have any snakeheads up here but some bowfin
>>
>>700833
>SJCAM is a knockoff, however it's quality and features are comparable to gopro.

Well, the higher end GoPros seem to offer better video quality than the SJCAMs but those cameras are $400+. The lower end models (such as the Hero+ series) are pretty similar in terms of video quality but you're looking at paying 2x-3x as much for comparable features, some of those GoPro cameras don't even come with an LCD screen whereas every SJCAM camera has an LCD screen.

TL;DR -- If you need "professional quality" then go for the upper-end GoPro cameras (or other high end action cameras) but be prepared to spend $400-$600+. For general "consumer use" get an SJCAM over any of the Hero+ cameras, you'll get the same quality and features for less than half the price.
>>
>>700813
But bowfin are awesome, native as fuck and fight like demons.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>700811
It's not a bowfin. They have completely different heads.

The snakehead in your pic is the type they have infesting the Northeast. The ones in Florida are different. Google "Bullseye Snakehead". Those are the ones in Florida. Aside from the shape of the head, the fins are also different and they have these strange black diamond shapef spots with white outlines going down the side of their body. Very, very hard to mistake for anything else.
>>
how do you guys store your rods? I just started pulling mine out from my closet to pack them and I kind of want to have them displayed, and quickly accessible in my new place.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>700847
I have that round holder from BPS.
>>
File: hook thingy.jpg (3 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
hook thingy.jpg
3 KB, 220x220
>>700847
>go to lowes
>buy an even nuber of pic related (double the rods you have) and surgical tubing (more than you think youll need)
>thread surgical tubing on to hooks
>screw in to studs in wall
>lay the rod on it
>pretend its pretty
>use leftover tubing to build shitty slingshot
thats what i do
>>
>>700848
yeah that's pretty nice, looking at that or some wall mounted. I might go with ceiling mounted though after looking at a few of those.

I try not to store my rods with the reels mounted, so the lazy susan style might be out
>>
File: classics.png (407 KB, 590x595) Image search: [Google]
classics.png
407 KB, 590x595
>>700851
was also considering DIY, thanks for the tip
>>
>>700736
Neat little system you got there, would be nice having something like that in Aus. Closest thing I can think of is the local tackleshop printing out your picture and hanging it on their wall.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 640x1136
>>700851
I thought about doing something like that, but the wood wall or cieling holders from Bass Pro are so cheap as it is. They go on sale quite a bit too. You can also buy just the plastic pieces with the rod clips for even cheaper and hang them on the wall or use them to build your own contraption.

>>700852
This one has 24 slots on it, but realistically with reels on the rods, it will hold like a dozen safely. It also has the rotating base thing.

I was thinking about the wall rack, but I'm down with this free standing one. No complaints so far. I think they run around $60, but the ones that don't rotate are like half the price.

The one in pic related caught my eye. The cabinet is made to hold 3700 boxes.
>>
>>700847
Either sitting in my car ready to use or leaning against the wall in my shed, gonna get something like pic related soon though.
>>
>>700865
I like that design too. Lots of retailers use those things to display rods for sale. Was going to do one of those if I didn't get the round thing.
>>
File: 126822-thumb[1].jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
126822-thumb[1].jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>700870
Shame they are so overpriced, especially if it's a fishing brand name one. Can save a lot of money just getting pic related.
>>
>>700859
Around my parts, the state issues a certificate.

Our local tackleshop, also gives away two surf combo's for the first over 40inch stripers for each year.

Last year each winner got St. Croix Triumph 8' and Penn Battle 4000.

I'm going to try my hardest to win it this year, I've already started scouting and preparing for the first days of the season.
>>
>>700877
yeah I like that. wtf is this called.
>>
>>700865
>>700877
That would probably be pretty easy to build with a decent drill with hole saw buts, a circular saw, some wood, and a can of varnish.
>>
File: fishingtackle.jpg (120 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
fishingtackle.jpg
120 KB, 960x720
rate my tackle box.

I fish for mostly pike, lake trout and bass
>>
>>700879
Just go on Bass Pro and look up rod holders. They are cheap too, like $10.
>>
>>700877
>>700879
Look into a wall mounted pool cue holder also. Very similar and a lot cheaper
>>
>>700878
Neato, we only get stuff like that with fishing comps but if you catch a tagged fish and bother to record all the details and report it, fisheries will send you out a $30 lure for your efforts.

>>700884
The store ones are made out of that shitty PDF too so they will fall apart if any moisture gets near them, better off making them yourself out of quality wood if you're so inclined.

>>700879
Wall mounted rod holder.
>>
>>700887
They have foam variants? Only ones I've seen have those brass rollers on them, would probably damage your rod tip after a bit.
>>
>>700086
Dead minnows in winter. Spring fish a spinner, crankbait or other hard minnow imitating lure near weeds.
>>
>>699464
Add a good set of needle nose pliers with a split ring (non-slip grip and some corrosion resistant finishing preferred). It's an all around fishing tool good for removing hook sets, skinning a catfish, clamping down split shot weights, changing hooks on lure, etc. Every angler should have a good set of needle nose pliers.

Speaking of which, I was fishing yesterday with a Mepps #2 in this pond by my house and I caught a couple large mouth bass and one redbreast. I was casting by the shallows where there were downed trees, getting solid hooksets, having a blast. Then I get one last bass before about to head in, and I gut hook the fucker. I go to my tackle box, and I can't find both my pliers or hook remover which I guess I left at my parents house. I tried for a few minutes, couldn't get it out, the fucker was bleeding everywhere, and he had a good sized spinner sticking out of its throat. So now it's going to be food for my turtles, and I feel really bad that I didn't have my pliers or hook remover there because I know I coulda gotten hook out of him and back into the water in less than a minute if I was prepared.
>>
>>700885
Less of a clusterfuck than mine.

I officially can't fit any more packages of soft baits into that box. I just said "fuck it" and jammed a ton in one of the side pockets. The crankbait box is getting close.
>>
>>700896
crush

ya

barbs
>>
Aight I'm new. What rod and reel should I get, what line, etc.
>>
>>700902
The most expensive Shimano reel on a G. Loomis rod. Power Pro line of course.
>>
>>700901
Why do all fish hooks even have barbs? From a conservation standpoint they're a bad idea.
>>
>>700903
Is there a pastebin I'm missing then? Or is that a dumb question that I asked
>>
>>700905
Budget? What are you trying to fish for?
>>
>>699602
Reason Rapala knot is good for a wobbler is that it is a fixed end loop over an improved clinch knot. So you have the same strength as your standard tried and true improved clinch aka fishermen's knot, but the lure is free to wobble around on a loop.

Palomar knot is recommend for braided line since it doesn't bite into itself very hard, and is used in a drop shot rig because of how it can keep the hook perpendicular to the line if you do one final pass back through the eye after tying the Palomar knot.

Surgeon's End Loop is another really strong knot similar to a rapala knot in terms of function, and very easy to tie even in the dark. It's my go to for night time catfishing.
>>
>>700892
No, you'd have to add the foam to the upper mount. Should be easy but why re-invent the wheel if they already have them.
I happen to have a cue wall mount or 3 sitting downstairs so I may go that route.

Also 7' ceilings suck.
>>
>>700906
Uhmmm, $100 I guess, and a variety of things.

Bass, catfish, I think there are lot is bluegills near me.

Rods aren't all purpose?
>>
>>700904
some manufacturers started making lures and hooks without barbs now.

>>700905
no pastebin, as a beginner you can't go wrong with much, as long as it consists of the basics.
and yeah
>>700906
is pretty important.

>>700909
some are some aren't, there are also specific rods for specific reel types
>>
>>700901
I understand for trout you don't want to rip their lips off, but there are only large mouth bass and no trout plus a gut hook on an inline spinner shouldn't happen. If I would have had my pliers, which was the point of my post, then I would have easily been able to get it out.
>>
File: background image.jpg (272 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
background image.jpg
272 KB, 1920x1080
>>700886
>>700879
>>700877
i had one of those once (got it as a birthday thing)
it broke pretty quickly (maybe a year in the foam wore out and stopped gripping)

>>700851
adendum to this.
>tools: jigsaw or coping saw, holesaw or large forstnerbit, drill, drill bit of appropriate size, regular hand saw, protractor, pencil, philips head screwdriver or philips drill bit, rat tail file, and sandpaper
>materials: brass screws, wood (4 1x6 3-5 feet long, 5-4 feet of 4x4, 2 1x4 boards 3 feet long, superglue, some kind of thin rubber (i would use a worn out bycycle innertube
first off
>assume all boards are actual measurements, not 3.75x3.75 or .75x5.75 etc

okay heres whats gonna happen.
>cut 22.5 degree angles in to the ends of each 1x6, leaving 2 inches of width at the very end of the board so i looks kinda like
|-----------------\
| \
| \
|____________|

>line two ends up with end of 4x4
>drill pilot holes, screw in brass screws
repeat with otherside
>have A-frame
use 1x4 to make supports at the base, cutting ends to match contour of legs, should look like wide trapazoids
>pilot holes and screw together

step two
>numbered witness marks on wood so it all goes back together the same way
>disassemble
>take legs
>drill holes in with hole saw along the outside length, all four legs
>eyeball the markings
>remove wood with copingsaw or jigsaw
>little hooks on each one
>rat tail rasp
>clean up holes and cuts

step 3
>sand clean
>glue rubber in "hooks
>reassemble
>finish of choice
>let sit however long it has to

step 4
>PUT YOUR FUCKING RODS IN YOUR KICK ASS CUSTOM ROD HOLDER!
>feel like pic related
>have a drink to celebrate
>>
>>700902
>6'6-7' uglystik original
>shakespeare excursion with two spools
>spool one with 6 pound test berkley trilene original
>spool the other with green 20 pound power pro
that set up will get you everything from 4 inch blue gill to catfish and carp.
>huks
>find the 3 dollar rotary thing of aberdeen hooks, should be blue and they should be bronze
>that will get you up to 2 pound fish
>get a pack of #2 baitholder hooks
>that will get you bass pike carp and cats of reasonable size
>3/0 octopus hooks
>that will get big catfish and pike, dont worry if you play them youll get them
cooler
>look around garage sales and thrift shops, thats where i got all my coolers. ive never spent more than 15 dollars on a cooler.
knive
>rapala 7inch filet knife
>cheap
>plenty to filet a lot of fish of many sizes
>can also cut bait, line, etc
>has sharpener built in to the plastic sheath
bait
>no reccomendations aside from minnows, shiners, and worms
also get weights.
>get a little thing that has an assortment of splitshot
>get a small pack of 1/2 ounce sinkers
that is the most do-it-all rod and reel combo you can get. i use it for flounder, spot, croaker, and small bluefish in the outer banks of north carolina, blue gill, bass, crappie, catfish, carp, pike, walleye, perch, and just about anything under 30 pounds in fresh water. ive even got a 3 foot wide ray on that combo. all in all youll be in for well under 80 bucks and youll have a great set up that even if you only use once a year will be worth the money.
>>
>>700909
Not really. I mean you can get a medium weight rod and reel with like 8lb mono line on it, and you should be able to catch everything up to decent size carp and channel cats on it. But if you want to fish lures for bluegill, crappie, or smaller bass, you will have a hard time casting lighter lures on a rod and line that will hold up to bigger catfish.

Anyway if you do a rod and reel seperate, anything by the major companies will be nice. Ugly Stik is a great all around rod, they run like $40. Grab a 6'6" medium Ugly Stik, and then find a reel you like by Shimano, Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Pflueger, Mitchell, Quantum, and so on. For the reel, find one that reccommends 6lb-10lb monofilament line.

Bass Pro does combos with Pflueger President reels and one of their rods for $80-$100 all the time, that's a nice setup. I have an Abu Garcia Cadinal SX35 spinning combo that is pretty nice for around $80 as well.
>>
>>700904
What standpoint is that? The only function I know for barbless hooks is for trout fishing. If a hook gets left in the water, its going to rust and disintegrate at the same rate regardless if it has a barb or not.
>>
>>700909
Also what he said here is good advice >>700915

Only thing I would say is if you are willing to spend closer to $100 on a rod and reel, you can go a little nicer on the reel. Shimano Sedona or Sahara, Pflueger President, Abu Garcia (Cardinals are cheaper, I think some Orras are in that ~$60-$70 range), or anything else by Okuma, Mitchell, Daiwa in that range.

Also we are talking about spinning reels here. Don't go buying a baitcaster reel as your first and only reel. And make sure you get a rod meant for a spinning reel. Baitcaster rods have a little trigger on the handle, you don't want that.
>>
>>700917
If you hook a fish somewhere other than the mouth, you won't rip them up as much taking it out if you crush the barb.

You will also lose more fish if you crush them.
>>
>>700912
crushing barbs isn't for gut hooking, it's generally just a good idea if you aren't fishing to fill a bag limit. Makes C&R painless.

>>700914
thank you sir

>>700915
sound advice

>>700917
umpqua and rebel make hooks and lures for striped bass that are barbless, umpqua also sells pretied flies for all species that are barbless.

regardless, it's really simple to do with a pair of pliers, I pretty much do it to all my gear, and it doesn't seem to decrease my catch rate.
>>
>>700922
This is honestly the first fish I have gut hooked in longer than I can remember that I couldn't save. And as I said, it's rare in general to get a gut hook with an inline spinner so not much to do with conservationism.

>>700923
>crushing barbs isn't for gut hooking, it's generally just a good idea if you aren't fishing to fill a bag limit. Makes C&R painless.
Doesn't have much to do with conservationism.

I'm all for catch and release, cleaning up after yourselves, and leaving a small foot print. I even help dredge a local river for all kinds of shit to keep it clean. But don't try to make barbless hooks seem like a conservation issue. It started for the purpose of not ripping lips off trout, and now its used by people who want to have a harder time with a self imposed handicap or feel good care bares.
>>
>>700926
>But don't try to make barbless hooks seem like a conservation issue.

I'm not.

I catch a lot of fish, which I don't keep. Not having my barb makes it easier to get my lure back in the water. Plain and Simple.

I don't practice catch and release because I want to conserve, I do it because I want to get the fish off my line as fast as possible so I can hook up and fight yet another.

When your waist high in surf, or on a sketchy rock cliff, not having to fuck with getting the hook out makes shit a lot easier and less hassle to deal with.

If I'm fishing to eat I use barbless. I also don't really crush barbs on my flies smaller than 16 simply because it will lower the integrity of the shank.
>>
>>700928
Then why are you replying when I asked what standpoint is this a conservation issue? >>700917

Also you sound ridiculous. I'm sure professional anglers lose all the time because they can't unhook a fish from a barbed hook. My boss who has been surf fishing Montauk Point longer than I've been alive sure has a hard time with those barbed hooks on his spoon.
>>
>>700933
I was responding to
>The only function I know for barbless hooks is for trout fishing.

> I'm sure professional anglers lose all the time because they can't unhook a fish from a barbed hook

lose what the lure? I don't give a shit about that, I just don't want to spend 5+ minutes releasing a fish, which I fully intended to release, when it could take less than 20 seconds to plop him off my lure.

>Montauk Point
>spoon

what are you catching there with a spoon? mackerel? bunker?
>>
@everyone

chill
>>
>>700941
>lose what the lure?
I meant lose because they run out of time from having to unhook barbed fish. I was unclear on that one.

>I just don't want to spend 5+ minutes releasing a fish
It's never taken me that long to unhook a fish. Switching to circle hooks years ago has helped with that, but in general I don't think any experienced angler has a problem unhooking a fish. I would highly recommend circle hooks for bait fishing.

>>700941
>what are you catching there with a spoon? mackerel? bunker?
I said my boss, but I will ask him since I'm interested myself. I know he uses an Abu Garcia C3, and goes there every fall for a few weeks. I haven't been surf fishing, but I did end up getting a C4 for catfishing. It's good for getting casts into the more deeper parts plus plenty strong for a good sized cat.
>>
Slightly off topic (but not really) a buddy of mine's dad passed away recently and wants to sell his boat. It's a 2007 crestliner 1600 fish hawk. Low hours, very good condition... $5000. Any input on price? Looking around at similar boats it sounds like a steal, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with said boat?
>>
>>700950
Forgot pic. Same model, not specific boat.
>>
>>700947
sorry misread you

I mean yeah it generally doesn't take long to unhook, but IDK I guess it's a bit different when you casting, fight, and chasing a bait ball around the beach.

circle hooks are GOAT for bait fishing, besides in my state it's mandatory for most bait fishing to use a circle hook.

He must be targeting bluefish maybe?
>>
File: 5556746_1_l.jpg (41 KB, 468x391) Image search: [Google]
5556746_1_l.jpg
41 KB, 468x391
>>700954
I couldn't answer you right now. I live in SC right now, and me and him went catfishing on a river. He brought his C3 and had some of his tackle with him. He grew up on long island fishing Montauk, and also takes a lot of trips to Cape Hatteras. Whenever I see something like pic related I think of him.
>>
File: 20151214_211221.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151214_211221.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>700847

Strapped to plywood on ceiling using screws, zip ties, and copper wire lol.

The zip ties are used for the rod butts and never get undone, I slide the rod into them first. Then I wrap copper wire around screws for support near the rod tip. One quick twist releases the tip, the butt supports the rod in the zip tie, and I slide it right out. Longer rods get two supports along the length.
>>
File: 20151214_211251.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151214_211251.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>700958
>>
>>700956
he must be one of the Montuak masters, in my book that place is what dreams and legends are made of.

>>700958
that's the photo I was thinking of, I knew I saw it here

>>700960
simple enough, I like it.
also dat taper on that surf rod is making me drool
>>
>>700958
do you remove the hooks from your fishing poles when you hang them up?

It would suck if one day the hook ever dangled down and you caught your eyes, nose, or ears on it as you walked by.
>>
>>700950
what motor?

To me it look like a decent boat for fishing. The price seems fair, not great, not bad but that is engine dependent.

Look at all the costs of ownership if you've never had a boat before. It costs me over 1k, less than 2k/yr just to own mine for registration, insurance, trailer reg, minimum maint (winterizing)
>>
File: IMG_20160217_210111-01.jpg (2 MB, 2761x3762) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160217_210111-01.jpg
2 MB, 2761x3762
Meh, bass pro wall hanger special. I need to get a couple more of them to accommodate the rest of my gear though.
>>
>>700967
60 hp merc 4 stroke. Registration is really cheap in Indiana for a boat. Not overly worried about ownership costs, just not sure how great of a deal it is.
>>
>>700975
It's very fair, not super great but not unfair from what I can tell.
60HP Merc is a solid engine. You won't be pulling watersports toys with it so no need for over the top insurance.
I'd say if you have the $ and will use it, go for it.
>>
>>700964

I don't hang them with hooks tied. Usually just with the leader tied on the night before a trip with the necessary loops and stuff tied, and I just loop the lures/jigs/hooks when I'm ready to go or right before I load the car. I also keep spare rigs pre tied in my box/bag.

>>700963

Its a 10' Penn Battalion. Gorgeous rod, and pretty lightweight. Can wait to get it in the water. It makes an excellent first surf setup. Ive got it paired with my ssv now. Spring is so close I can smell it...haha.
>>
>>700905
No but there's an /out/ fishing wikia that people keep forgetting to post.

http://out-fishing-general.wikia.com/wiki//out/_Fishing_General_Wikia
>>
>>701020
>wiki says Abu rods as good as St Croix.

All I needed to read before I closed out of it forever.
>>
>>700967
>over 1k a year for rego and maint

Fuck me that sounds pricey, what you got? It's $110 a year to rego my 13ft dinghy and trailer and around $300 to get my outboard serviced
>>
>>701023
Feel free to edit it, it would help if we got it up to date so we could just link it ever ytime someone posts "what reel is gud" instead of writing out small essays.
>>
Would spider worms make good fishing bait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLA9Vark-TI
>>
File: 001.jpg (406 KB, 1441x777) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
406 KB, 1441x777
an old guy i work with told me about a supply pond they used to fish in the 80s and 90s, said there were some huge bass and catfish in there. ive been watching it lately and havnt seen many people down there, im guessing its because of the 2 mile walk in and no way to get an ATV or anything down there. my question is, where should i try and fish this? the wooded side is a very steep hill and i cant get a small boat out into it
>>
Sorry about the delay folks. The reel seat took much longer than I expected due to the arbor not fitting correctly. I tried it with 3 different brands to make sure that it would be long enough and aligned properly. The rod itself is rated for 1/8-1/2 oz and I put a short-medium sized rear grip on it. I plan to use this for finesse plastics and jerkbaits.
>>
>>701064
I'd work the entire West side of the pond, starting in the Southwestern corner and moving North. I'd work some Texas Rigged soft plastics in the shallower areas and toss spinnerbaits straight out into the middle of the lake and work a variety of different depths on the retrieve. You could also use a few different crankbaits as well.

Trying to fish in a heavily wooded area like the East bank of that pond isn't much fun.
>>
The fuck?! Fell asleep and woke up with an empty bag of Butterfinger Bites next to me. I don't even remember eating them.

>>701066
Ayy

>>701023
I really like the couple of Abu rods I own. I would definitely buy another. But considering the range of their reels, they really don't make very expensive rods. The Ike rod is the most expensive (that they sell at BPS at least) and I think it is only around )130? Really want to grab a St. Croix as my next rod, but wouldn't mind an Abu Veritas or Ike.

>>700950
>>700953
Damn that could be fun. But if you buy it, you better take that thing out every weekend. Otberwise boats are such a waste.

>>700945
Honestly. I'm sittin this one out.
>>
>>701064
Looks like on south southwest side there may be a tiny creek that goes into it. I would try there first. Also on the north side, there is a little point of land that sicks out. From that point of land, I would cast to the east and west and try to run almos parallel to the shore.

Otherwise go by the trees, try to cast under any trees that overhang the water while avoiding snags. Also look for weed beds and cast along those. But best way to find out is to get out there and cast around. You never know. Some of my best bass spots from shore make no sense.
>>
>>701078

Boats aren't too bad if you actually do most of your own work. Even more so if you have two stroke motors, those things are incredibly simple to work on.
>>
>>701048
Not unless you like becoming part of the food chain yourself
>Australia: land of deadly EVERYTHING
>>
>>700992
I got a Mitchell Catch Surf 423. 13 foot, must be 4-8 oz casting. (100-250g)
And nothing is more fun to cast than a 5-7 ounce sinker or jig. That thing goes for MILES.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.