[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was just forced to move to Shitcago from Colorado, how fucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 20150113_101833.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150113_101833.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
I was just forced to move to Shitcago from Colorado, how fucked am I for /out/ stuff?

The city's culture doesn't really agree with me at all and I'm really getting the itch to get outside again.
>>
>>694916
Well, you're fucked aren't you?

You could take up sailing, there is a lake?
>>
>>694921
There's Lake Michigan. Not sure about cost, I'm relatively broke.
>>
>>694931
A challenge would be to make a boat out of empty milk jugs.

> challenge issued
>>
>>694916
>forced
whipped

Also you're gonna die... 3 out of 9 in Chitown do.
>>
>>694939
Still have >tfw no gf. It was more related to school stuff.
>>
>>694952
fag. move to south haven MI or holland
>>
>>694916
You can either go to Wisconsin, or Michigan. Take your pick. That's what people from Chicago all seem to do.
>>
>>694916
move to central wisconsin we can be best buddies
>>
>>694916
I lived in Chicago for five years. There are some decent state parks within an hour or so. Cook County and DuPage County both have pretty good forest preserve systems. I was walking through the LeBagh Woods/Forest Glen Woods on the NW side once and saw a decent sized buck. Make the best of it. Search things out, you'll find something to fit your interests. Take advantage of the Metra train system to get the burbs where you'll find more /out/ opportunity and more open spaces (still crowded but there is more open space, esp as you get toward the end of some of the Metra lines.
>>
>>695003
State parks within about an hour and 45 minutes incl: White Pines Forest State Park, Castle Rock State Park, Kishwaukee River State Fish and Wildlife Area, Starved Rock State Park, Shabbona Lake State Park, Matheissen State Park. Those are just the ones I visited off the top of my head, there are a few others that I went too, can't recall the names at the moment. Hit up the IDNR website for more info.
>>
File: 20140707_172530-1.jpg (3 MB, 1835x2724) Image search: [Google]
20140707_172530-1.jpg
3 MB, 1835x2724
>>694916
Id suggest wisconsin. With gas as cheap as it is, you could take a trip to northern wisconsim or the upper peninsula of michigan (both are beautiful). There are alot of state parks along lake michigan, you can rent kayaks/conoes at alot of places as well. Pic is from my kayak on Green Bay. At Bay Shore County Park, it's between Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay
>>
File: 1454460836571.jpg (118 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
1454460836571.jpg
118 KB, 406x364
>>694939
>3 out of 9
>>
>>695167
Holy shit, there other Green Bay people on here?
By the way, do you have any trail/hiking/innawoods recommendations?
>>
Fellow Shitcago person here. The best your going to get is Palos in Cook County and its a haul from the city. Compared to Colorado the outdoor scene here sucks. We go to the UP for our outdoor adventures several times a year.

You can do all of the parks that others suggested but you will get burned out on the crappy parks with paved trails. We have literally hit every option in 3 states and Michigan and Northern Wisconsin are your best options. We are saving to get the hell out of here and move to a better out state.
>>
>>694931
If you did learn to sail you could go on to crew boats for money if you are good enough, that's how I started twenty years ago, now I live in FL and never want to see snow again.
>>
>>695167
This guy is completely correct. WI rocks for /out/ stuff. Also try the Pembine River Flowage and hiking in Chequamegon National Forest, Nicolet National Forest, and Kettle Moraine State Forest. Awesome hiking in all places. I'd suggest hiking the Ice Age Trail if you're into backpacking. Fishing is great everywhere too.
>>
>>697346
Originally from Chilton--near GB. LOL
>>
>>698484
thanks dude, I currently living in hobart (near gb) and am super excited for this summer. Small world, huh?
>>
>>694916
Move to the Garry Indiana.

seriously tho how the fuck do you prefer chi to denver if you enjoy the outdoors?
>>
>>694916
Like, 10,000% fucked.
>>
I'm moving minneapolis in a few weeks. Any suggestions? I'm big into fishing, mainly trout and panfish. Looking to get into fly fishing and expand into walleye and pike, and maybe get a canoe. Would also like to try hunting, but I have zero experience in that area. I like hiking and want to try snowshoeing and cross country skiing.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>694916
Interesting. I've spent some time in chicago. Not a lot there.

I currently have the opportunity to move to either Michigan, Colorado, Illinois, or Arizona. I'm from Oregon. Which one is going to murder my soul the least?
>>
File: knobloch.jpg (15 KB, 309x473) Image search: [Google]
knobloch.jpg
15 KB, 309x473
>>694916

You're in a safari paradise OP
>>
>>698826
>how the fuck do you prefer chi to denver
He doesn't. See:
>"I was forced to move"

He's trying to make the best of it.
>>
>>698484
Wisconsin is meh for outstuff.

I am born and raised Wisconsin.

My brother lives in Alaska and has lived in California and Colorado and the only place worse than Wisconsin out of those 3 is California. Alaska ROCKS and I'm moving there.
>>
>>694916
urbex is the new /out/ so you're timing is perfect. Make the city of Chicago your bitch.
>>
>>698907
>california
>worse than wisconsin

UWOTM8?
>>
>>698927
Urbex is getting pretty rough in the bigger midwest cities. People have caught on and fucktards have made it pretty hard.

Honestly, there's better stuff in Milwaukee right now than there is in Chicago.
>>
>>695167
>>698907
>>698785
>>698484
>>697346
Wisconsin native here. Seem to be a lot of people in wi or near wi here. Wisconsin has little in the way of good national parks but it might be worth a visit. Upper MI is beautiful.
>>
>>698856
Colorado and possibly Michigan depending on where
>>
Southern and central indiana is fairly /out/ friendly. Also the dunes national lakeshore is... Adequate. I like indiana because I fish. A large variety of species is available to me in a very short distance. Can't complain there. However it's getting a little too developed for my liking.
>>
OP here. My main thing is rock climbing and mountaineering. I realize that outside of gyms, the best I have is Devil's Lake and a few other crags around Wisconsin unless someone else knows something I don't.

I'm pretty broke so I can't break the bank on new gear, as much as I'd like to take up kayaking or sailing.

I would like to find a place to go backpacking where I can't hear the interstate, though.

This is what I have:

>A small trad rack (cordelette, a few biners both locking and non, 5 cams, a basic BD nut set, harness, ATC guide, but no rope)
>Mountaineering gear (ice axe, La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX boots)
>A few packs (Deuter and Osprey)
>Hiking boots and approach shoes
>Jackets for virtually every occasion (down, hardshell and softshell)
>Most layers/clothes I'll need
>First aid kit
>Survival kit
>PFD

A lot of this is stuff I accumulated during my childhood/teenage years. I've been working at REI but I'm honestly really torn right now if I wanna spend my money on climbing gym membership some underwhelming /out/ trips around the midwest or go to Portugal in August.

What are my options that won't burst the bank (i.e. stay under $100 for a weekend)?
>>
>>702432
I'm a Wisconsin Native and I just want to let you know that you can rent a lot of rafts, canoe, etc. in many of Wisconsin's state parks. Wisconsin does not really have much in the way of rock climbing and mountianeering. Wisconsin's big thing is fishing; some of our waters are amazingly clean ( Brule River being the most famous ) and depending on where you go in the state you have your choice of bass, lake sturgeon, trout ( again, Brule River ) to occupy yourself with.

You may want to try rafting down the Wolf River if you want to try something new to see if you'll enjoy it. From what I remember rentals for rafts and kayaks were cheap, the fishing is okay ( a lot of walleye, white bass and you can see sturgeon if you go at the right time of year ) and you can reserve camp sites.
>>
>>702453
My dad is from Green Bay, it was basically my second home as a kid. Spent a lot of time on Enterprise Lake near Elcho in scouts and went up to Rock Island a few times. I made a lot of other trips around the state that I'm forgetting, too.

Fishing might be good as something new. I used to catch a lot of perch as a kid, but kinda stopped because I was too much of a pansy to unhook the damn thing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.