[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't go /out/ because of an injury. Are there any good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: long dark.jpg (38 KB, 675x315) Image search: [Google]
long dark.jpg
38 KB, 675x315
I can't go /out/ because of an injury.

Are there any good /out/ games to play?

What do you guys think of the long dark
>>
Liked it, good atmosphere, still only explored about 2 regions in the game.

Mostly it makes me want to buy an SMLE, though
>>
Pic of my comfy cabin in game
>>
>>690593
Very comfy game. Wildlife is highly aggro on the highest difficulty but it's not horribly balanced

Not too much bushcrafty stuff yet. If you're looking to make hatchets and knifes out of rocks and sticks you're out of luck for now

But the game is gorgeous and I can't wait to see what the future holds for it

9/10 /out/ game

Firewatch is pretty and has an okay story if you're into walking simulators. The music is amazing
>>
>>690593
Slender m8. Anyone who ürbêxes un rural/suburban areas feels it.
>>
The long dark is a shit game. You need to find clothing, then food, then wood for cooking food. Then that's it. That's the whole game. Clothes, food, wood, then you just hang out until you die.

Don't understand why companies release these shitty alpha games with nothing to do.
>>
>>690697
>going outside and exploring isn't fun
>hunting deer isn't fun
>>
Cool, a video game discussion on /out/. This is what I came here for.
>>
>>690593
I've heard good things about Firewatch, and from what I've seen it definitely has /out/ elements to it. That being said, it's a very narrative-driven game, as opposed to The Long Dark which is more of a survival game.
>>
I like it.
>>690697
Yes, it's a survival game. The objective is to survive as long as you can. Clearly it is not the game for you. Move along.
>>
>>690593
Red Dead Redemption, it's always the right one to choose.
>>
>>690593
I try not to think about the long dark, but to each their own man.
>>
>>690697
>Clothes, food, then you just hang out until you die

Sounds a lot like life m8
>>
>>690706
Firewatch is totally story driven, that said its pretty /out/, its got some amazing in game vistas, the colourscheme alone is incredible (that olly moss artwork is godtier /out/ poster material), nife soundtrack and some pretty comfy exploring feels. I havent played it myself but i sat with a friend who played through it. Its good enough that im gonna do my own runthrough at some stage.

The flame and the flood is kinda /out/ and its gor a bitchin soundtrack, bosnian conflict simulator aka this war of mine could be argued to have /out/ elements.
>>
>>690697
>Don't understand why companies release these shitty alpha games with nothing to do.

Do you not even understand what that means? It means the game is "in development" and "unfinished" and hasn't even gone into "beta" yet. Allowing the public access to it helps shape and mold it. It helps the devs get bug reports across a massive amount of various types of hardware, so they don't have to spend a million dollars buying that hardware and waste time testing it.

People like you play the alpha version, give them bug reports and ideas for changes. Sometimes you get to see your ideas appear in the game, sometimes not.

Right now Storymode and survivor NPCs are being worked on.

https://youtu.be/0jguWKC5p1Q

>>690593
Great sandbox, hope it pans out well. Though it is nice to just roam around in it now. Perhaps try Minecraft? With mods that enhance/add biomes (Biomes O' Plenty) and add tons of animals to it (mo'creatures) or try any of the 100s of adventure maps.
>>
Rust?
>>
Anyone played skyrim with the frostfall mod? I dont have a gaming rig else i would in a second.

It makes each area have a temperature rating and you die of exposure if you dont chop wood for fires and make tents and stuff. Looks fantastic. With the right mods its very simulationist ie hunger, sleepiness, etc
>>
This game made me realize that I'm good at orienteering but bad at mapping.
>>
>>690729
kek
>>
>>691097
Aren't we all.
>>
The Forest is pretty good.

Spooky though, so if you're not into being attacked by cannibals and 8 legged vagina beasts at night I'd suggest staying away from it. The crafting system is top fucking notch though.
>>
>>692023
I see that it's in pre-alpha, does it have enough things to do in the game or can you tell that it's obviously unfinished? Worth the $15?
>>
>>692028
Just pirate it and find out. If you like it, pay for it.
>>
UnReal World is hands down the best /out/ game ever made.
>>
>>692037
Eh, I just bought it on steam, played it a little bit, made it through my first night, killed a few spoopy monsters while I was out wandering in the darkness after I woke up (guess I went to sleep to early or something). Damn, that shit sent shivers up my spine. Ended up using some medicine that I'd looted from the plane to recover my health during the fight, I'm thinking that might've been a mistake.. oh well.
>>
What type of game is long dark? I've bought it years ago on PC but never played it.
>>
>>690599
trappers homestead is the best safehouse in the whole game so far...
>>
>>692087
trying to survive without zombies or other stupid crap...
atm : just you, in the north, every electronic device is broken and everyone is dead/gone.
you simply try to survive which sounds easier than it is because once you die it's permadeath and your sandbox gets erased.
you need to loot whats left and try to hunt/fish and get some firewood while avoiding/scaring off hungry wolfes and bears.
>>
>>692061
Only survived 1 day on my first attempt, tried to swim across a bay that was deceptively larger than it seemed at first and got killed by a shark. On my 2nd game now, setting up a basecamp. I found a secluded area sheltered on one side by a cliff face with a nice little waterfall and I've built a small log cabin, water collector, animal trap, and firepit. Cannibal monsters scared the shit out of me when they snuck up behind me while I was gathering sticks to build the animal trap, I killed them and drug their bodies off then rinsed the blood off in the little pool beneath the waterfall next to my cabin. I'm debating on whether or not I should continue expanding my base or if I should do some more exploring...
>>
>>692130
You can't stay in one place too long though. The game starts to thin out. You have to keep moving. The best strategy is to move from hunting ground to hunting ground. Including across the bridge to the shoreline map. Traveling across the ice for fish to the house on the island and back and forth to the rabbit areas is one of the easiest ways to stay alive since you can see wolves and avoid them with little to no effort at all.

The worst places are in the small hills and around the shoreline houses. Wolves can come at you from all directions and you can actually run into them while dealing with another one.

>>692087
A very bleak and harsh survival game in a winter sandbox. You try to stay warm, count your calories, find food, hunt, trap, fish, scavenge wolf kills, manage food so it doesn't spoil, boil water so you don't get sick, find caches of food and water, make and repair tools and clothing, manage pack weight versus speed and calorie usage, try not to injure yourself or get eaten, etc. The scenery is amazing.

It is all about logistics of survival. You have to plan around how much food, water, wood you have and need versus the time of day and weather patterns. One wrong calculation on your part will lead you to freeze to death.

I don't suggest playing it on max difficulty, it is very unrealistic. You become a wolf magnet. On normal difficulty, I never died and survived 30 days. I haven't played it since it has bears now. I'm waiting for story mode and human NPCs.
>>
>>692023
>Oculus Rift

Damn that will be intense. lol
>>
>>692156
>A very bleak and harsh survival game
yeah, when got close to die it got really really bad. i once was trying to find the farmhouse in a blizzard. i knew i was close because i was in the plantation area which surrounds the fucking house but could not find it and froze to death.
>>692087
when you get close to "the long dark" (in game lingo for permadeath) you vision gets blurred, you start mumbling and you get blackouts and start loosing control over your body. you know you are close to shelter or whatever saves you but since you are stumbling around in the wilderness you are already lost. it's pretty immersive imho.
>>
>>690973
Frostfall was alright, but you were basically confined to the southern areas of the map without too much extreme weather. Any time you go into the hills or try to cross a mountain pass, there are massive get rekt tier blizzards that you literally cannot survive. Even if you're wearing the warmest possible combination of clothing, set up your fire and tent immediately upon a blizzard starting, and have plenty of food to keep you warm, you're still going to die very quickly. It's more of a nuisance and really restricts the gameplay rather than adding to the atmosphere of the game. Fun for a couple sessions but you'll get sick of it quickly.
>>
the witcher isn't a survival game but its environments are the closest to reality i've ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>690973
I disagree with the other guy, it adds a nice mechanic that is balanced, just always bring fur if you are going north, dont get wet.

It really adds immersion.
>>
>>692054
Yeah, new update in about a week or so, pretty big release.
>>
>>690593
I just finished firewatch.
It give this particular feeling when you are alone, far from any help and surrounded by the unknow.
>>
Salt on Steam is pretty good. You sail and explore islands and stuff.
>>
>>692023
>8 legged vagina beasts
maybe more
>>
>>693212
I remember that one. Didn't know it was on Steam. I find most games via torrents. It was pretty good with the amount of exploring you need to do and level of use most environmental stuff has.
>>
>>690593
>FIREWATCH<
>>
Anyone tried stranded deep? I saw some trailers a year or so back but everywhere I look there's a horde of twitchbabies' playthroughs and "let's play"s screaming over every single fucking thing and I get so turned off you can't even imagine.
>>
>>690593
STALKER is pretty /out/ imo.

You could just go out and sit on top of a barge and watch the clouds, AI run shit.
>>
>>692023
If you type veganmode in the home screen it turns off mutants
>>
File: tombraider.jpg (494 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tombraider.jpg
494 KB, 1280x720
Tomb Raider obviously
>>
File: PowerPot10Charging.jpg (54 KB, 801x620) Image search: [Google]
PowerPot10Charging.jpg
54 KB, 801x620
Need something to do at night on those long solo camping/hiking trips.

>moga ace controller (5.3 ounces)
>iphone 5s (3.95 ounces)
>firebox nano (6 ounces)
>powerpot v (14.8 ounces)
>ps1, Xbox, n64 emulators (0 ounces)

All I gotta do now is pick out some really good games to play for a few hours before going to sleep. Got any suggestions?
>>
>>694905
My favorites personally out of the stuff on iOS have been San Andreas, Minecraft, and Wolfenstein 3d.
>>
>>690689
>Be me
>In high school
>Friend and I go urbexing and foresting all the time
>Slender comes out
>We play the shit out of it
>One weekend we decide to go exploring on my cousin's property (lots of deep woods)
>At night
>Rustling in the leaves
>NOPE.large
>Start packing up and moving very deliberately towards the way out
>All of a sudden see HIM behind a tree
>Beat Usain Bolt's record on the way out of there
>It was my cousin
>Tall skinny pale ginger who had just shaved his head and was out hunting deer in all black

Still gives me a chuckle to this day.
>>
>>690593
I'm actually watching my gf play it right now. I thought it was pretty good. I like how its actively in development. I'm love these kind of games (the forest is good too) but some are really bad for having developers who make big promises then don't really do anything new. This one has come along way since I first bought it and only gets better.
>>
>>694922
>stuff on iOS

with jailbroken iphone you can run emulators. PS1, Xbox, N64, SNES, Nintendo DS, game boy. So much to choose from. I'm tempted to play one of the classic RPGs from that era like Kotor or Morrowind but they take forever. With only an hour or 2 each night it would take forever.
>>
>>694905
This is pretty much why I own a kindle. The battery life will last for weeks without worrying about finicky outdoor device chargers.
>>
>>
>>696319
this.
>>
>Ctrl + F
>no Wurm unlimited

Medieval crafting, building, and wilderness survival game that's been around for a while. Truly terrifying to wander the forests at night, dying of starvation and dehydration, praying for a quick death by a brown bear.
>>
File: 2014-11-19_00001.jpg (395 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-19_00001.jpg
395 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>694349
Endurance mode is pretty awesome. But you have to find campfires instead of building them, which is kind of dumb I think.
>>
>>696825
What game?
>>
File: 2015-02-26_00002.jpg (480 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-26_00002.jpg
480 KB, 1920x1080
>>696855
theHunter.
>>
I always treated Oblivion and Skyrim like /out/ and just went full herbalism picking flowers and stuff.
>>
File: 1025257-1429746762.jpg (618 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1025257-1429746762.jpg
618 KB, 1920x1080
>>696885
With mods they can be /out/
>>
>>690701
This to the nimpfht degree. Keep /v/ in /v/ plox.
>>
>>696955
/v/ is too big and threads about niche /out/ games get no replies and 404 in 15 minutes
>>
>>696960
>404 in 15 minutes

maybe 10 years ago, takes about 2 mins now.
>>
>>696897
>implying /out/ has mods
>>
>>692054
Unreal world will never be beaten

/out/ champ 1990-today
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.