[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the zombie popularity craze has died down a bit, is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg (65 KB, 393x589) Image search: [Google]
Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg
65 KB, 393x589
Now that the zombie popularity craze has died down a bit, is Max Brooks The Zombie Survival Guide a valid preparedness book? It has a number of good points for preparing for a major event and also contains /out/ related info.
>>
>>688843
no
it was written by someone who has zero outdoors experience.
>>
>>688844
there is prepping and bug out info though
>>
>>688843
Sure.
>>
>>688844
Did you know he's Mel Brooks' son?
>>
>>688843
one does not learn how to survive a zombie apocalypse in books: you have to live it

in some countries you can pay to learn the basic skills from people that actually survived zombies, in a 99% real situation

not some shady book written by unknown Amazon "writers"/"experts"
>>
>>688843

no. It's an entertaining read, the first time around, but it is just overflowing with "survivalist" ideas straight out of the 1990s.

His "packing lists" and bugout info leave a LOT to be desired.

Essentially - the zombies in zombie fiction are irrelevant. They're meant to stand in for the things we fear, like cancer (literally), or invasion by enemy forces (hey, the zombie film started during the cold war, go figure - that's why zombies represent a threat, rather than actual danger).

I'm not going to go in detail into what makes the theme atractive (guilt-free violence, simplicity, and free shit, essentially).
>>
>>688843

Zombie quints?
>>
File: 14425874.gif (520 KB, 159x111) Image search: [Google]
14425874.gif
520 KB, 159x111
>>688888
>>
>>688888
HA!

called it :)
>>
>>688888
Noice
>tfw zombies makes quits when I barely make doubles
>>
>>688884
Where is this now?
>>
>>688901
use some google-fu
>>
It's fiction, you know.

also buy a bike because bikes are your vehicles of choose.
>>
>>688907
I can't speak for this book since I've never seen it but most Zombie Apocalypse training stuff is serious but written in a spoofy way.
It's Urban Survival situation information.
REI, and I assume many others, runs a class on it.
>>
That book is rife with bullshit.

For example. It says the ak-47 is preffered over the m16 for zombie survival because the ak47 is "more reliable"....That was maybe significantly true in the 70's. But AR reliability has come a long way. Easier to fire, more likelyhood of finding mods, etc.

The lists are also pathetic. The entire book is basically comedy.
>>
>>688929
it also says how a .22lr will bounce inside the skull making the zombie deader
>>
>>688929
>It says the ak-47 is preffered over the m16 for zombie survival because the ak47 is "more reliable"

ak47>mxx

anytime
anyday
everywhere

only americans will defend their broken toy gun
>>
>>688948

Bro ARs are more accurate. They are also FAR more common, meaning the possibility of replacement parts and mods. If you have the choice, picking an ak47 over a modern american AR makes no sense.
>>
>>688956
>Bro ARs are more accurate.
when it's clean, maybe
when it's not broken, maybe

>They are also FAR more common, meaning the possibility of replacement parts and mods
in your country, maybe

do you think you can find replacement parts in Africa, CIS, SEA, south america,...?

ah yes, maybe in american military base,sure sure
>>
>>688876
I had no idea that Mel Brooks had a son. By the way congratulations on the 11:11:11, I am always trying to post at a precise time like that.
>>
>>688869
Written from a zero experience base.
>>
>>688843
can you imagine what the world would smell like with all the rotting zombie fart?

i would kill myself.
>>
>>688995
Still wouldnt be as bad as India where they dont poo in loo
>>
the survival part is absolutely shallow and useless.
>>
>>688929
>more likelyhood of finding mods

Because you're gonna need those if you want to beat the zombie final boss and save humanity.
>>
>>688869
Written from someone who has zero experience.
He knows nothing, and therefore his words mean nothing.
>>688876
Yes, I did.
>>
File: 1449428334389.jpg (69 KB, 630x455) Image search: [Google]
1449428334389.jpg
69 KB, 630x455
>>689003
>>
>>689058

IIRC, he wrote it after watching the greatest zombie movie ever - Red Dawn.
>>
I remember reading this a while ago and I easily found a few errors and bad information. Some of his tips are useful in real life, not just the zombie apocalypse, but you should treat this book as entertainment rather than a real life survival guide.
>>
It would be quite funny to see basement dwellers, neck beards, fedoras, etc. take this book's advice seriously and kill or potentially injure themselves in the event of a natural disaster on some large scale.

It would give me a somewhat happy death.
>>
>>689044

Are you saying have a laser sight, high end optics, flashlight, or even bayonet are not advantageous in any situation in which a gun is also advantageous? Not everyone here is some child prepping for zombies bro
>>
File: IMG_20151225_103419.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_103419.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>688948
JEWS MAKE THE BEST GUNS!
>>
>>688888
checked m80
>>
File: lust.gif (1003 KB, 480x418) Image search: [Google]
lust.gif
1003 KB, 480x418
>>688888
oh yeah
>>
>>688843
A lot of it is pretty shit, but some of it is okay.
The SAS Survival "handbook" (it's fucking huge) is a much better accumulation of knowledge.
You'd die in the zombie apocalypse if you followed his guidance though.
>>
It was written by a fudd.
It claims the best gun is an M1 Carbine.
Now that's not a bad gun but the ammo is not common at all. Some could call it rare. You won't be resupplying anytime soon with ammo or even spare parts for the gun.
It also says that an AR15 is overkill.
The police and military use that type of rifle in the same caliber.
Ammo and parts are everywhere.
The guy is a big dumb idiot
>>
>>688959
You seem to believe that when an AR is dirty, it becomes less accurate.
This is how I know you know nothing about firearms.
However, you have somewhat of a point when talking about replacement parts in other countries.
The guy you replied to figured you were talking strictly in the U.S.
He was wrong in this assumption.
But you have to know that AR15 really are extremely popular and common in a lot of places in the U.S.
The police use them, the military use them, every redneck has 3 of them.
You are also severely underestimating their robustness.
Yes AKs are known for reliability.
Yes ARs in the 70s had a bad rep.
But the original faulty design is no longer used.
They still require more maintenance.
But the closed system does keep them running in dirty conditions.
And companies are coming out with parts that don't require lubing.
The modern AR15 is not the jammomatic it used to be.
I've owned 3 different types of AKs.
I used to be on the same boat as you.
But do more research.
>>
>>688876
I did. I was very disappointed but i take a little comfort in trying to pretend the boom was actually a ridiculous comedy
>>
>>688904
Ah so youre just full of shit, as if that werent blatantly obvious based on the previous post
>>
File: 1447296894653.jpg (19 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
1447296894653.jpg
19 KB, 600x589
>>688888
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.