[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where Do I Go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>no debts
>no friends
>no life
>suicidal
>where do I go

Nothing makes me happy in my life currently, and I'm socially retarted. I have no dreams, motivation, or goals. The only thing I want to do is pack up some shit and fuck off into the woods. Maybe I'd write about it or something. My main problem is that I don't know where to go. Where, in the US, could I disappear into some relatively undisturbed woods. Not just a state or general area, I mean specifically where should I go?
>>
>>684959
Woods that aren't full of rednecks that are still public are hard to come by. I would actually recommend somewhere desert like.

I've spent the last few years around the davis mountains in Texas. Gotta say, its one of the only places where you really can be properly alone, as in nobody else as far as the horizon, that isn't somewhat shitty due to the other people who show up there.

Tbh, maybe you need to travel some, find out where you want to be first. Get an old van for like $1500 and just drive around west texas/new mexico/arizona/nevada for a bit. There's some good people out there.
>>
>>684961
In general I know what I wanna do. Since I was a kid the idea of just barebones, a few tools, survival in the middle of nowhere was this unobtainable fantasy. I've dealt with enough people and I'm incapable of the bullshit standards and subtle nuances of communication that are so common now. I just want to be alone and exist within nature just like any other species.

These mountains, tell me more about them
>>
Practice and travel! Get out there for weekend trips and get used to whatever land you're interested in.
>>
>>684959
>no debts
check
>no friends
I have very good friends that would trust my life to them, but they're not into /out/ so we're only together maybe few times in a couple months
>no life
check, I'm literally a net that sleeps and browses the net all they and I almost only leave the hous to go /out/
>suicidal
nop, never thought about that. that's an easy way to weak people to chose. Only acceptable if you have some debilitating physical disease.

anon man the fuck up and turn your life around if you're unhappy, go ask for help with a psychologist. Just going to the woods will not change your mental state if you have fallen that deep.
>>
>Sounds like op needs to find a friend in Jesus!

Op, I've got good news, just ask me!
>>
>>684959
>No debts
Man you're living the goddamn dream.

People like you are in the PERFECT position to make whatever it is you want out of your life

Save money and travel your country. See the oceans and texas and the mountains and yellowstone park, all of it.

I'll bet you any money if you devote yourself to travelling you'll find somewhere to belong and people to be with
>>
Your problems are still going to be waiting for you once you get out of the woods. That said, writing and chopping wood are the two most cathartic activities a person can engage in, so maybe you'll know how to handle them when you get out.

You ask for specifics; I've spent many happy months living in wilderness cabins in the UK and New Zealand. Maybe there's something like that in your area of the states.

Or for a little over $5 grand you could buy a few acres out west and build an A-frame on it. There's an ambition for ya.
>>
File: IMG_20151221_173455-1.jpg (212 KB, 2018x951) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_173455-1.jpg
212 KB, 2018x951
> 3 years inna log cabin w/o pwr, phn or plumbing.

Changed my life! Pic vaguely related.
>>
>>684999
>nop, never thought about that. that's an easy way to weak people to chose
"weak people" lol

you've just never been clinically depressed dummy
>>
>>684959
>where do I go

Therapy.
>>
>>685041
> as if clinical depression isn't a weakness

Stop justifying.
>>
you want to go to alaska, more precisely the stamped trail. look for the magic bus
>>
>>685049
Overcoming fucked up brain biochemistry is the kind of challenge only the toughest and most determined can do, especially since depression saps your strength and willpower.

You're a hell of a lot weaker than those people in my opinion, because you can't even hold a job. The unemployment rate is 5% right now. 95% of the country is stronger than you.
>>
Practice near a city being a bum first. Test your skills against the harshest weather you can survive but keep an exit door open.

Once you trust yourself, do whatever.
>>
Idaho panhandle national forest
>>
>>685038
Do you still live in this cabin, anon?
>>
>>685165
I have moved on, but still own it and still in state.

I seem to think of any single moment each day and every day, even after all these many years!

And fondly.
>>
File: islam.jpg (84 KB, 700x405) Image search: [Google]
islam.jpg
84 KB, 700x405
>>684959
convert to islam
>>
>>684959
Hey, op! You sound a lot like myself! Normally I don't get depressed unless I'm out of a relationship. Then I normally turn that energy into good energy by getting closer to nature. Bushcrafting, mediation, yoga, ect. Sometimes I'll go camping. You don't think about the negative parts of life when youre cutting fire wood, or when you hear that bear walking by.
It gets better. And if you don't feel a change, look into homesteading. A lot of places have great communities based around homesteading like Ashville NC.
>>
>>685302
fuck islam
>\dirty sandnigger remove kebab
>poo in da loo
>>
>>684959
>no debts
You've got a leg up on 90% of Americans here
>no friends
That's your own fault. head over to /soc/ and make some
>no life
Once again, your own fault- fortunately it's entirely up to you to change it. Go skydiving, it's great fun.
>suicidal
Kill yourself.
>where do I go
Where are you at? What you're proposing is extremely difficult and generally requires years and years of experience to successfully pull off. I'd stick where you're at, get a thrift store pack and get out there.
>>
>>684959
Can I come with you?
And by the chance you want to end it all, can I get laid before you do?
>>
>>684959
Get a car and drive the country. I just drove 30,000 miles in 6 months or so. Hit all lower 48 states. Met a ton of great people and saw absolutely stunning places. Granted, I'm a people person and love going to small bars in small towns, etc. But still, you can drive around and just camp in National Forests. There are some pretty remote National Forests out west. Texas has a lot of open land, Montana is pretty open. Idaho, Minnesota up north. Places like that. Do some research, gather up all of your money and important belongings, and hit the road.

I would echo the sentiment from another posting suggesting to see a psychologist. At least a couple times. Sometimes all you need is just a different way to think or coping strategies. Suicide is for pussies, but that's just my opinion.

Either way, I'd suggest drive and explore. Also, if you want truly remote areas, just cross the border up north and head up into the Yukon. That is a truly wild and rugged place with next to zero population.
>>
File: Solotand-T1.jpg (75 KB, 695x452) Image search: [Google]
Solotand-T1.jpg
75 KB, 695x452
Perfect candidate for MGTOW camp.
>>
>>685319
>Ashville NC
Asheville is beautiful. Near Hot Springs, and the little town of Marshall is cool as fuck too.
>>
>>685153
Drove through the area once, very remote. I think that was I-90 too.
>>
>>684959

nevada bro

there is so much fucking coal burning in nevada, it could power all of china's factories

las vegas is FULL of black on white interracial couples
its all over the place
half of them seem native (living there more than 10 years), and the other half seems like they recently moved there because they were somehow drawn to the mecca of coal burning
>>
OP you're overthinking. You don't need a destination, just GO and start living, you'll find somewhere along the way.
>>
>>684959
I've been wanting to do this to. I'm in pretty much the same situation as OP, but I have friends. I'm 19 and flunking out of community college (despite being intelligent), no job, and just generally have no life. I'm not necessarily suicidal, either, but I don't have any desire to keep on going through life the way I have. I'm a moderately experienced outdoorsman, with plenty of fishing/hunting under my belt, but I don't have any experience in living off the land.

I'm thinking about going innawoods in Washington in the Olympics and Hood Canal area. I'll have very limited funds but plenty of emergency safety nets. I just want a simple life free from worrying about school or careers or anything, to improve my mental and spiritual health, and exercise my interest in the outdoors.

I'll have decent starting supplies and means to make a little bit of money to restock with, but for the most part I'd try to forage/hunt/fish for most of my food, especially during summer. I'll have access to a family vacation home nearby with power and water but I couldn't live there full time, I'd be limited to a few weeks a year and emergencies only.

What's /out/'s opinion on this? I'm confident in my skills, but is this even feasible? Is it a horrible idea?
>>
Adirondacks or the Catskills mountains..You could easily live out there for ever if you wanted.
>>
>>687307

I'm this guy >>685541

If you have safety nets, why not try it? Always tough to make the initial dive into something new, but it might pay huge dividends. I'm 26 now, but I was in a similar situation in college. Couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, wasn't doing well or going to class much, and was generally just wasting time and money and digging myself into a hole academically. I took a semester off my sophomore year I think and worked as a handyman for about 6 months in the heat of the Georgia summer. Learned a ton, made some $$, but ultimately realized that I'd rather go back to school and get my shit together. Ended up graduating and getting my Bachelor's, which isn't worth a bunch, but a lot of jobs require it now. It really just shows that you're committed enough to complete it.

Skip forward a couple years. Worked in sales, landscaping, etc. Ended up in a corporate job that I liked at first but inevitably was too bureaucratic and political and I got fed up when I got passed up on a promotion I deserved. Put in my 2 weeks and went on the trip I mentioned in my previous post.

If you're really just treading water and not being productive in school, why not try switching things up? At the very worst, you fail, realize you don't have the skills, etc and you end up back in school. Maybe with a little less money and being humbled, but with more wisdom and an experience you can grow and learn from regardless of the outcome. Obviously you'd want to let people know what you're doing, generally where you'd be, and check in every now and then so you don't waste the SAR's time in trying to mount a rescue or something. Unless you want to go totally off the grid, but at 19 that sounds a bit extreme unless you have hit rock bottom and have no other choices, which it doesn't sound like you have.

Or, just leave school, and go work at an outfitter or fishing/hunting lodge or guide place. Cheer and good luck. Bored and can't sleep, so sorry about the novel.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.