[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Survival skills/items
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: EJ11960721.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
EJ11960721.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
What is the single best survival video or tool you have come across that has helped you or you think everyone should know?

For me a Fresnel lense has and was a epiphany. I found one in my dads office. He's a engineering and I just took it outside to be a pyro and it starts fires almost immediately where a regular magnifying lense just creates embers.

Its light and flat enough to fit in any pack and you can salvage Huge ones from old TV's and smaller ones from old screen projectors that they had in elementary school.
>>
>>684060
good luck on a clouded winter day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUvDJSdFe7s
hippie dude takes the cake for me:
>>
>>684066

Like i said something everyone should know which doesn't = something that would work every day. Luckily I live in Everglades FL. Thank you for the Video :)
>>
>>684066
>good luck on a clouded winter day.

Who fucking cares? Just use your lighter when you must and use the lens when you can to save on lighter fuel. The same goes with a handdrill or other non-fuel fire starter. Only use stuff like a lighter when it is an emergency and always have several non-fuel backups.
>>
>>684070
>>684070

Thank you sir, Op here I was going to say it but Hes just making sure people dont use it at their only tool (if you do you probably deserve to die).

Still looking for New tools or Video's though. Any new Info is good info anything Ive already seen is still good.
>>
>>684060
>tool
my brain
>>
>>684074
>>684074

Some people frequently dont use this tool
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 262x192
yo yo fishing lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdpC4uOQmaA
>>
>>684077
I use my brain all the time, It's a power we all have in us. I just happen to be a little more FULL OF IT than most others.
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 320x157) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 320x157
>>684105
>>684105
well now you just sound like one of those people who when they talk everyone rolls their eyes. you kinda sound like a ....whats the word.... cock sucker yea thats it. good job contributing. later mate

New video for op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ILKU5Prv7I
>>
>>684060
>single best survival video or tool
>video'
videos are useless
>tool
Being prepared
If you are in a survival situation, you have failed at preparing
>>
>>684144
>>684144

Maybe I need to make this for people who understand English. I'm asking for video's or items that you were like "wow this is great" or "why hadn't I thought about this before" not the typical Fudd I could have been a seal banter that everyone's heard before or read off the back of some fat guy at the gun shows shirt. thanks for contributing but not really...
>>
>>684070
>>684071
So a gimmick firestarter that only works in bright sunshine is a cool thing, but the skill to start fire with nothing under the worst conditions is not?
>>
>>684153
>Maybe I need to make this for people who understand English.
Instead of yourself?
>I could have been a seal banter
Sea lions have much better bantz
>>
>>684171
>>684171
I did say videos or items that someone may have not thought of. which encompasses things other than "your brain" but its derailed already.
>>
>>684171
You have an odd interpretation of that. In fact it seems you must be replying to a post in some other universe to be so far off. Or, trolling I suppose.

>>684144
A tool isn't your hands, other body parts, or level of experience. A tool is a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function. Which should be obvious from what the OP wrote. This isn't a thread about philosophy; all of life is survival after all.

Obviously, you can't bring a webm into the wood and use it to save your ass by having it make you a fire, but posting the video ITT may show someone something new they can learn and you know....."Being prepared".

>If you are in a survival situation, you have failed at preparing

This is the point where I begin to question you as an individual.

>>684060
As far as videos go, anything that teaches you basic skills from fire making on up to acquiring food, making shelters, navigation, and first aid. Don't limit yourself to 1 video or information source on 1 subject. View at least 10 sources.

http://www.instructables.com/id/7-Methods-of-Primitive-Fire-Starting/?ALLSTEPS
http://www.primitiveways.com/
http://www.primitiveways.com/YouTube Videos_Skills of the Past.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yieVOvk7Kc
>>
>>684277
>>684277
>>684277

Thank you so much sir. Great post. I was just trying to get some new Ideas or new items Ive not seen or videos/skills I havent already learned. We've all seen the typical how to dress a animal, how to start a fire, purify water and such but I figured the Fresnel lens might not be something everyones seen or knows about. For me it was a nice addition instead of having to use a lighter if I can save it.

Those a great videos
>>
>>684286

Are*
>>
>>684277
Survival shows and their youtube copycats have convinced a whole generation that camping is a life or death situation. If your camping looks like surviving, then you made poor camping choices. 99.99% of the time, /out/ is not a survival situation.
>>
>>684299
>>684299

like half the people on here have said the same shit.

Its not hard to understand that OP isnt asking for the same old shit or a lecture. He is asking for that moment or tool that you have that you think everyone should have. For him it was the Magnifying lens.

He isnt saying the one item that will save your life in SHFT. He is just asking for something new. Its already been explained that he has basic knowledge. If you post something post a item or video that you don't think everyone has seen or a item few people use
>>
File: DSCF3124a.jpg (1 MB, 3772x1488) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3124a.jpg
1 MB, 3772x1488
>>684286
You should check out survival credit cards.

>SURVCO CREDIT CARD AX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9doxaDzkQBE
http://www.amazon.com/SURVCO-CREDIT-CARD-AX-FUNCTIONS/dp/B00NICJBCU

>Readyman Wilderness Survival Card (seems flimsy for long term use)
http://www.amazon.com/Readyman-Wilderness-Survival-survival-arrowhead/dp/B015ALJ838
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsp79ea79Es

I personally prefer to carry a 35mm film canister/pill bottle of things that I feel I might need for whatever. (snares, fishing line, hooks, needles, razor blades, etc.) Mostly I call it my emergency fishing kit since I have often used them to fish with in places I didn't expect to feel the urge to fish at all. In fact, I have one on my desk right now, but my camera batteries are toast. Maybe I can find an old pic...ooh I thought I lost these pics. They come from 2008 and I don't even remember which board I was posting it on back then. This one used an old bait jar I found while fishing.

>>684299
I don't think that has anything to do with this thread. However, lots of people use camping in order to hone any survival skills they feel then need to know or test out products. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>684316
>>684316

Thanks a lot. I really like the post and the card. seems somewhat gimmicky but I honestly havent seen those before. I like that first one that has the arrow head/axe combo the most. I may buy two just to tear one up and if its garbage i'll toss it to my little brother.

Posting where to buy them and the video was awesome as well thanks again. I like the film canister idea for fishing line. I'll have to go to walgreens and see if I can find one.
>>
>>684330
>seems somewhat gimmicky

They are. I'd only ever buy the "Survco credit card ax", since it is the most robust in near credit card size. Also, when I go camping I just take tool head and make handles when I reach the camp site. I also buy old tool heads at yard sales and refit with new handles. So, I'm used to needing to mount tool heads on a variety of things in the wild and in every day farm life.

I wouldn't want to rely on the Readyman one, it just seems like something that can be better made with something else.

> I like the film canister idea for fishing line. I'll have to go to walgreens and see if I can find one.

I used all sorts of stuff for the canister, pill bottles, film canisters, Dremel emery cutting disc containers, Tic-Tac candy boxes, etc. They are easy to make and fit just about anywhere from your pocket to your glovebox to your BoB for if the weather gets bad in your area.
>>
>>684316
what are those fishing keys and where can i get them
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 640x1136
>>684316
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017HS521E/ref=pd_aw_fbt_201_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DYTHE288V2ZC91D6J8M
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 640x1136
>>684357
Holy shit, I might need to grab these. It could come in handy if I get locked up...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017I4RNYQ/ref=pd_aw_fbt_229_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H3Y8VVGAYCYTSWSVFFF
>>
>>684355
>>684355
>>684355

Ive been searching cant find them either

>>684357
>>684358
Thank you :)
>>
>>684355
>>684383
lol They are keys for unlocking the world of fishing. Really they are just some stiff coated wire in the shape of a key with fishing line securely tied to them then wrapped around them. They are the things with the green line on them in >>684316 that have snap swivels attache to them. The loop should be large enough to put your finger through or a small stick. You can use them with or with out a cane pole-type setup.

Fishing keys are something you'd see back in the 1970s and early 1980s. A lot of times you'd see another version shaped like an H similar to those old school kite line spools. I've not seen any for sale for over 30 years.
>>
>>684472
If you happen to still have any would you be willing to unwrap the line and take a picture or two? I'm going to make some out of different gague wire coathangers
>>
File: 213.png (1 KB, 119x201) Image search: [Google]
213.png
1 KB, 119x201
>>684479
I will when I have power for my camera, in 12-17 days. Basically, it looks like this. Coat hanger wire is fine. Anything is fine really so long as it is stiff and you can wind enough line around it. Always tie the line securely to it (the part the red line points to).
>>
>>684358
if its at that point why wouldnt you just break the window?
>>
File: dog-window.jpg (77 KB, 516x670) Image search: [Google]
dog-window.jpg
77 KB, 516x670
>>684581
>tfw no glass cutter survival card
>>
>>684357
>>684358
You've obviously never picked a lock in your life. It's so fucking difficult even with the right tools on a shitty lock. I don't even want to think about trying to start a fucking car with that shit in an 'escape' situation.
>>
>>684491
>when I have power for my camera, in 12-17 days
Do you live is some 3rd world country? This statement does not compute in 2016.
>>
>>684702
Rechargeable Batteries died because I cheaped out. The new expensive ones won't get here for a while.

Also, most of the USA is 3rd world. I'll be snowed in without assistance for about a week or until the snow melts. There's only 12 inches.

>>684650
Yeah, that's when you smash the window and hotwire.
>>
>>684650
I actually have picked a shitty lock before. I was bored at work one day, and picked this little lock box with a paper clip. It probably had 3 of those pins. Didn't take long. So there. I have picked a shitty lock.

But yeah, the average car lock or house lock would probably be a bitch to pick with that card. Handcuffs seem fairly simple though, that's where I could see it coming in handy.
>>
>>684768
>I'll be snowed in without assistance for about a week or until the snow melts. There's only 12 inches.
lulz, how the fuck? It doesn't snow here often but we can also get 3 feet storms and at most it incapacitates the area for a day or 3.
>>
File: IMG_20160209_172151560_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_172151560_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>684768
No need dfot pictures, I made one today, il make one a bit more carefully tomorrow and spraypaint it black
>>
>>684971
Is that a thick paperclip or what?

Hey, you used braid!
>>
>>684971
Nice. You should be able to hold it in your hand, hold the hook/lure & line in the other and swing the hook/lure and cast it while the line spools out from the key.

>>684880
No snow plows come this way. We wait for the snow to melt. But there's no reason to go out for anything anyway.

The number of days (12-17) is for the delivery. I ordered them online. Not for the number of days I have to wait for weather problems. I live 50 miles from the nearest city. I probably won't leave here for over a month merely because I don't need to be anywhere.
>>
>>684978
Wire coathanger it has a waxy coating on it that comes off

50 lb braid I use on my saltwater setup
On my bass setup I use 15(or is it 10) lb braid (white) with an 8 lb mono leader, or 12 lb flouro if I'm going for northern pike

I need to buy another reel for my bass setup
>>
>>684989
yep i made it just big enough to fit one finger through the hole and have maybe 35-45 ft of 50 lb braid on it
>>
>>684316
Mad little kit you have there mate
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.