[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backpacking Biostoves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12
File: FireboxG2.png (877 KB, 959x487) Image search: [Google]
FireboxG2.png
877 KB, 959x487
I've seen a lot of threads mention or focus on camp stoves but none specifically for backpacking bio stoves. Have you had experiences with them; if so which? would you buy one or do you regret buying the one you bought? Are they useful or useless? Image related; the Firebox G2 popular backpacking stove.
>>
There are 3 stove threads already up
You are either too stupid to search the catalog, or you are a shill

sage
>>
File: stove.jpg (115 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
stove.jpg
115 KB, 1000x1000
I want to design and build a folding one (i have a friend with a plasma cutter)
So, what i should take in consideration to make the best one?
>>
>>683998
I already said I saw that there were threads that mentioned or focused on camp stoves. I also said that none of them focused specifically on /backpacking bio stoves./ Read entire posts and follow that up with thinking a little before you comment.
>>
File: EmberLitOriginalStainless.png (427 KB, 625x275) Image search: [Google]
EmberLitOriginalStainless.png
427 KB, 625x275
>>684003
Your image looks a lot like the EmberLit Original.

I don't know much about building them myself but you can always build an Ikea Hobo Stove easily enough.

I also know people build stoves out of cans but it is worth noting that those tend to rust quickly and don't hold up well.

Stoves like the one in your pic are made out of stamped metal. If you have a way to stamp metal you can build one.
>>
>>684006
There are plenty of posts in those threads about bio stoves

You must be a shill
How much do they pay you to post online?
>>
File: stove2.jpg (6 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
stove2.jpg
6 KB, 204x247
>>684009
I was thinking to make a flat one, but idk if the ventilation needs to be all around the body of the stove (like op pic) or just in the lower part (like yor pic) or in the tray.
>>
>>684026
I think your pic seems good enough to at least test your stove out. Give it a try, let me know the results.

The holes in OP ( >>683973 ) pic are actually to "prevent warping" if you believe the hype. I don't believe it but that is what is typically said. I'd be turned away just because of the hinges.

>>684003
>>684009
The large hole is for feeding in sticks and the holes on the bottom side are to suck in air at the base of the fire. The grooves at the top are where the pan goes but those grooves also leave room for air to be sucked in/fire to escape them. I don't trust the holes in the ashpan for the Lixada model; too large and I'd be afraid of some big coals dropping through and burning the ground beneath.
>>
>>683973
Why are you shilling your stuff here?
>>
>>684041
Thx for the answer. Anything else to consider?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (65 KB, 1012x759) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
65 KB, 1012x759
>>684076
>>684016
>>
>>684163
Not that I know of. I'm not an expert so I can't help but maybe the people at /DIY/ could?

>>684166
I'm honestly not working for anybody. I was seriously wanting a thread for ONLY backpacking bio stoves such as Bushbox Micro/XL/Ultralight along with TOAKS and Silverfire, etc. If this thread's existence really bothers you that much try to ignore it and leave.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (8 KB, 194x145) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
8 KB, 194x145
>>684016
>/out/ shills
>>
>>684180
There are already 2 threads about bio stoves up
Why would you start a new one?
Do you not know how catalog works?
>>
File: omnom.jpg (3 KB, 115x94) Image search: [Google]
omnom.jpg
3 KB, 115x94
>>683973
om nom nom
>>
>>683973
fiddly, heavy, can be replaced by a triangle of rocks
>>
>>683973
Other than being able to fold up this thing is no better than a hobo stove, which I can make for free.
>>
File: 20150421_091220ii.jpg (798 KB, 1494x1996) Image search: [Google]
20150421_091220ii.jpg
798 KB, 1494x1996
>>683973
Bushcraft Essentials Ti bushbox

It's nice but really it's too small a combustion space to be a economical cooking solution, and took forever to boil water for a coffee, near 20 mins.

for a flat packing stove, the best I've found is a Honey Stove- its the sweet spot for a being able to have a fire/ember bed of a decent enough size to cook on.
>>
File: image.jpg (234 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234 KB, 1000x750
Yeah, OP is almost certainly a paid shill or the fag that owns Firebox...

As previously reported, a bio stove can be replaced by three rocks. If you *insist* on using a wood burning "stove" then make an IKEA hobo stove for 3 bucks instead of purchasing one of those grotesquely overpriced bio-stove pieces of shit...
>>
Here the anon tha wants to design and build my own stove.
Show your favorites stoves and tell me waht ypou like about them. Plox

(srry shitty english)
>>
>>684462
Respond :(
>>
>>684462
Do yiou spreak Engrish?
>>
>>685434
Its not my first language
>>
>>684166
>>684208
>>685592
lel
>>
File: IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg (924 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg
924 KB, 3264x1840
Why not wood gas? The TOAKs Titanium ones are the cat's pajamas and they cost less than a solo.
http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-Backpacking-Burning-Stove/dp/B00SA2H05I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455400036&sr=8-1&keywords=toaks+titanium+stove
>>
>>687815
Toaks is nice if you just want to buy the stove by itself. Their pans, pots, cups, etc. are also nice if you are buying them by themselves. They all nest together well enough but by the time you finish buying what you want you'll find you've spent a lot.

Silver Fire makes some good stoves too; certainly better than the cheap knock-offs modeled after their Scout model and you can buy bundles with the stove and a MSR pot or stove/MSR pot/utensils/a fire starter. Their standard Silverfire Scout 304 model is $73 alone or $113 for their ultimate SS304 bundle. Their economy version of the same stove ( 3 pot stands instead of five, different cosmetic finishing of the metal ) is $53 alone but the ultimate economy bundle is only $93.

I think Toaks does make a slightly better stove but you can't go wrong with the sc/out/ stoves if you want to get some extras while save money.
>>
>>688441
Image above is 304 bundle, the image attached is the economy bundle.
>>
>>687815
>>688441
>>688443
How is that stove better than Solo Stoves?
>>
>>688466
The two stoves in the top pic were made from wine chillers I got at a garage sale and assorted bits and pieces that I got for ten bucks total. the skinny one went to my buddy who is still stationed up in Anchorage and the other one stays in my camp kit in the back of my car. I have the toaks for backpacking, but the bigger stainless one is nice because I can use it with briquettes like a small hibachi grill.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.