[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Atlatl | Primitive /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1.jpg (56 KB, 929x379) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
56 KB, 929x379
Whatcha' think about it? Anyone have any experience hunting with the thing?

I'm gonna make one, one of these days, and I do know that it's a good enough weapon to stay in active use well into not-so-long-ago.

Also general primitive thread.
>>
I tried to make one as a kid after I read the clan of the cave bear books, had marginal success but I mostly screwed around with bows. Big upsides to an atlatl is they are simple to make, and spears are more durable than arrows so I could see it being useful in a survival situation. I think the handle should have loops for your middle fingers on it to reduce hand strain and make it a better arm extension.
>>
>>683980

That and it's pretty fucking powerful.

I mean, our forebears were naturally stronger than us but it doesn't diminish the fact they hunted mammoths with that thing.

Another advantage of an Atlatl is that its kinetic energy (poundage) is determined by the projectile and not the thrower itself, contrary to bows. Means it's far more versatile and allows for multitude of projectiles for varying kinds of game.
>>
>>683983
i think that it has about the same power as the sling,with pierce damage added,and generally less accuraacy tho
>>
>>683955
i think it's faggy and i would take a good heavy boar spear any day before this crap.
>>
>>683983
>I mean, our forebears were naturally stronger than us
you are stupid then they were about as strong as a chineese lady on average when they still used stone tools.
>>
>>684097
Come on folks, let's have a higher level of discussion than calling each other stupid.

While early humans likely had to deal with malnutrition which could stunt growth, they were probably much stronger since they used manpower for everything and would in effect be working out for many hours a day. By comparison our modern lives are much easier. Saying they would be naturally stronger doesn't make sense because there are no significant genetic differences between early tool using humans and modern humans, but they may well have been much stronger because of their lifestyle.

Now Neanderthals on the other hand are generally believed to have been pretty strong.
>>
File: IMG_20160201_1.png (2 MB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160201_1.png
2 MB, 675x1200
>>683955
I enjoy mine. I like it because it's easy to make and with a little practice you can be effective at distance. Here's on of my darts. Rib from a elk held with pitch glue and strains of bark on sourwood shaft.
>>
File: namibia_008.jpg (161 KB, 1014x1535) Image search: [Google]
namibia_008.jpg
161 KB, 1014x1535
>>684138
there are still ethnics who live an all traditional hunter/gatherer way of life.
it's hard to judge their strength based of pictures though - you'd have to wrestle with them.
>>
>>684185
I could take him
>>
>>684192
maybe you can,but they can take you in carrying antelopes on their back for hours,run barefoot to chase animal herds and drink polluted water and being able to function as wee as you drink tapped water,they are maybe not the strongest,but they have much,much more stamina and living-off-the-land skills,witch is not easy and it's making them more resistant to illnesses.
modern day live people are lazy, weak and most of them are fat

also this
>>684138
>>
>>684138
>they were probably much stronger since they used manpower for everything
an other bullshit reasoning
most important thing in how big you grow and how strong you are is nutrition especially as a child.
they were also endurance hunters not strong at all.
we are about 2-3 times stronger now on average as we were in those times.
>>
>>684138
>Now Neanderthals on the other hand are generally believed to have been pretty strong.
this is also true to very early humans they were small but very strong, but then they changed their adaptation to endurance hunting and that combined with malnutrition sickness and parasites left them pretty damn weak. kinda like african bushmen. they might out-march you easily but they won't win any wrestling contests.

but even tho neanderthals were extremely strong compared to early humans some believe 6 times stronger today they would not be such a big deal. the strongest power-lifters of modern times would beat their strongest manyfolds. altho a neandtheral on steroids and a steady diet of fuckhuge amounts of protein might be an interesting thing to see.
>>
>>684240
>altho a neandtheral on steroids and a steady diet of fuckhuge amounts of protein might be an interesting thing to see.

I'll take "How to build the perfect rape-machine" for $400 Alex.
>>
>>684221
>2-3 times stronger now on average
how the fuck did you calculated this?
>>
>>684207
You're saying it like they did these things and there were no repercussions. Specifically the drinking contaminated water.
>>
>>684221
>we are about 2-3 times stronger now on average as we were in those times.
also 300% less capable.

it's like importing a skyline just to cruise 80kmph with it.
>>
>>684766
not that anon.
i've heard that the San or bushmen have 7 times the gastric acid compared to other humans.

it helps them to digest raw meat, because they don't always have enough firewood in the desert.
>>
>>684782
>also 300% less capable.
that's not exactly true on average modern city dwellers are pretty useless but in groups they can do amazing stuff if work together.
they can also catch on quickly if they survive long enough (first few weeks or first winter if applicable).
don't underestimate the adaptation capability and inert common knowledge of modern man.
also there are people that are literally supermen compared to ancient men both physically and both knowledge wise and also primitive tool-making wise.
>>684761
most of it comes from bodyweight difference and nutrition (especially as a child) difference which results in a very different body composition. modern men can keep a significant amount of extra muscle because of frequent eating of high calorie meals with no periods of starvation.
>>
File: image_1837e-Neanderthal.jpg (95 KB, 1280x1364) Image search: [Google]
image_1837e-Neanderthal.jpg
95 KB, 1280x1364
>>683983
Powerful? Try 25cm (10") through muscle & into the humerus deep enough to break off the tip of the _Bone_ point on a mammoth - from a doco I watched the other day.
>>
>>684207
>80 pound manlet carrying an antelope

Sure thing you Nigger loving twat
>>
>>684782
>also 300% less capable
speak for yourself
>>
>>684221
>we are about 2-3 times stronger now on average as we were in those times
Yeah, so, I'm gonna need to see some sauce on that...
>>
>>684843
> if work together.
they're not going to.
>also there are people that are literally supermen compared to ancient men
those pepple aren't the average.

the average is stubborn ignorant city people that won't work together.
>>
>>685436
see differences in average weight they were measuring to about half of out non-fat population
around 41-50 kg for the males (compared to our 70-86 kg 42% of this 30-35 kg is skeletal muscle mass) while not being so significantly shorter human ideal bodyweight (assuming proper musculature and fat reserves) to height is not a cubic nor a square scaling function but something in between, so you can calculate the exact numbers i did not bother to be honest but wouldn't be surprised if it turned out we have 3 times the muscle mass than early humans had.
>>
>>685455
put a grown ass 6'2" person today vs a scrawny african bone thin hunter gatherer from the past in a squat rack and figure out who can lift more weight

they might be able to run farther, but people today are bigger and stronger
>>
>>685598
meant to tag>>685436
>>
>>685598
they're probably not even able to run farther.

africa isn't as rich as it was long ago, desertification.
>>
>>684207
They drink water from plants. A big round root full of water. There are no large water bodies where they live, it's so dry they sleep in the open and the only shelter is to keep food and weapons out of the sun. They aren't very strong but they are sturdy and can keep doing things for hourrs at end, the epitome of this is their hunting style which involves chasing animals (poisoned with arrows) for days until they drop almost dead from fatigue.
>>
>>683980
Clan of the Cave Bear series is god-tier.
>>
>>687014
dunno there is a huge mary sue effect i have hard time to put up with.
not only the chick is always down to fuck but also an inventor of 100000 years worth of technology and agriculture.
>>
>>687039
I kinda get what your saying. She does seem to accidental her way into some of the most profound innovations in human history an awful lot, but I think the author did a good job setting her up to be in a pretty unique position to be able to do it. Being touched by magic spirit shit doesn't hurt either. She's basically caveman she-Jesus.
Also, what are you talking about? Everyone was down to fuck.
>>
Stop going on and on about bushmen, none live like that anymore. Everything you've seen on TV for the past 40 years have been recreations.

They are extremely impoverished goatherds at the most or work in national parks as guides.
>>684192
Enjoy getting stabbed with beetle poison with a knife.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.