[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kayak General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
Just bought a kayak for fishing.

What are some good places to fish in north florida (fresh/salt)?

Where do you put your catch?

What are some nice modifications/accessories?

Kayak general, post kayaks and tell OP it's a good purchase for a poorfag
>>
File: WP_20151227_007.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151227_007.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
I was a poorfag when I got my pescador
>>
>>682249
How much did you spend i was thinking about doing this sence i drive a suv and i live near the beach to practice useing it. But would love to fish from it
>>
>>682285
only about $360 on the kayak, it'll probably end up around ~450 once I get all the gear to go with it.

Not bad for a decent boat
>>
>>682249
>Just bought a kayak for fishing
Me too OP
50's last week, getting excited, pond ice film (not safe for ice fishing/skating) melts away.
26 outside now with 6" snow
>>
>>682249
>Where do you put your catch?
Cooler under that deck bungy
>>
>>682303
>$360 on the kayak
definitely good for poorfag
>>
File: lure13-5_altview1.jpg (76 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
lure13-5_altview1.jpg
76 KB, 1200x600
>>
File: Hobie_Mirage_Pro_Angler_12.jpg (19 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
Hobie_Mirage_Pro_Angler_12.jpg
19 KB, 640x371
I want a Hobie pretty bad, but fuck they're like 4 grand.

Those pedals tho
>>
File: Fin-MotionSDW200px.gif (783 KB, 200x172) Image search: [Google]
Fin-MotionSDW200px.gif
783 KB, 200x172
>>682923
hrnnnnnnng
>>
>>682249
>Tfw poorfag
>tfw apartment
I'm planning on buying a used small kayak or a one or two people inflatable boat so I can use them on th enearby bay. I'd leave it on my building's garage and when needed wound carry it on foot for 1km or two until I can lay them on the sea or the mangroove and start from there. Is a plastic kayak heavy? Or hard for one man to carry? I don't have a car
>>
>>682976
They're only about 50 lbs, especially if you get a small one. Carrying them by hand shouldn't be a problem as you can easily make a small o|_|o shaped cart out of PVC pipe to put on the back whilst you drag the front along.
>>
File: 2016-02-07 13_59_58-Google Maps.png (776 KB, 2532x672) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-07 13_59_58-Google Maps.png
776 KB, 2532x672
>>683064
Yeah I figured they are somewhat light, they are sturdy? I mean the classic bright orange plastic ones? I mean can they take some scrapping on asphalt (in case I let them fall or roll while transporting). And I never used a paddle "vehicle" in open sea before, are there any guides and tips for using them? I'll be using them on this bay and on a mangroove, both have almost no boat traffic and usually calm waters. And yes if I buy one I plan using a vest.
>>
>>683072
They're sturdy as fuck. If you drop/drag them on asphalt then they'll get some roadrash but that's only cosmetic damage.

Paddling is something that you'll pick up quickly just by getting out there and doing it. I'm sure there are some basic beginner videos on youtube though. My best advice would be to always wear your vest when you're out alone and only take it out when the water is completely calm until you get comfortable using the kayak. Maybe start out on a small pond / lake instead of the ocean.

>>682249
Looks good OP, I was considering getting a fishing kayak a while back but ended up just getting an old motorboat instead because I wanted to be able to take 2-3 of my friends out with me when I go fishing. I don't regret my decision at all but it would be SO MUCH more convenient to go fishing by myself if I had a kayak.
>>
I'm planning on buying an Emotion Stealth 11 Angler. Thing is i'm 6'2" and I don't know anything about kayaks and i'm concerned about it being too short for me. Is there any way to tell if it'll be uncomfortable? I'm trying to find a happy medium because like I said i'm tall, but I want something I can throw on top of my small car
>>
>>686699
net - net,
sit in it, see if you are OK with the seat and where you're longest foot pegs are. At 6'2" I think you're gonna be fine in almost any.
>>
>>682249
Would a fishing kayak be shit on something like lake Ontario, where there are lots of waves? Are they really meant for calm water?

I want to get one, but I want to get the most versatile kayak possible, and don't want to make a mistake with the type I buy. I know there are limits to my question, but any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>687865
You can use them in the ocean so I would say Ontario would be fine. Always best to learn/get used to them in calm water first.
>>
>>687867
any tips on strapping to a roof rack? I need to get a new thule anyways, should the normal crossbars work or do they require those special adapters?
>>
>>687867
and ya, they just look so low, that if a wave were to hit you you would go right over. I am a very strong kayaker but have never used a fishing one. I am guessing you say it is just about technique?
>>
>>687872
yes, ideally you are pointing into the crest of the wave, roughness. regardless of the size of your boat you really don't want to get hit with turbulence on the sides.
Pickup with bed extender so no tips on the roof rack.
>>
>>682976
Kayaks are awkward to portage, get an inflatable or a canoe or a cart for your kayak.

I have an Advanced Elements inflatable I take a mile or three to the water, depending on where I want to put in, on a bike trailer.

>>687865
Lake Ontario is cold most of the year is the main thing, so you'd need cold water gear if the water was rough. Even in early summer when the air is hot the water can be pretty cold (I'd still need a full steamer wetsuit in early summer in my windsurfing days, and on hot days I'd fall in on purpose to cool off). I live in Toronto and most people here paddle sit-ins.
>>
>>688093
Ya, I live in Toronto too. I have kayaked in sit-ins before, and like I said I am pretty good at kayaking. But, It can get really rough out there, and I think getting to the island in a fishing kayak could turn out to be a disaster. Maybe I am just a scared pussy
>>
File: IMG_7734-2015-11-04 (Medium).jpg (187 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7734-2015-11-04 (Medium).jpg
187 KB, 1024x768
>>688265
>I think getting to the island in a fishing kayak could turn out to be a disaster
I paddle to the islands a lot. If you put in at Cherry Beach it's pretty sheltered, unless there's a good SW wind and the waves are coming straight down the outer harbour (even then it's usually not too bad, and it's only 300m across the channel). The most annoying part is usually chop in the inner harbour, but you can mostly avoid that and stick to the lagoons.

I think good SOTs can handle the waves (and they're easier to get back on if you do tip), you just need to be dressed for cold water if you go out when it's rough (but people surf and paddleboard here all the winter, so it's still doable).

>It can get really rough out there,
It can, but most days (especially in the summer) it isn't. People canoe on the open lake in the summer. Just check the marine weather and pick a good day.

Picture related, my picnic spot on Donut Island the last time I was out there in November.
>>
>>682249
>where do you put your catch

Tie a stringer somewhere on ur boat and pull them behind. (Unless your planning to land some monsters)
>>
>>682924
>giving annon a boner
>>
OP here, my kayak got here today.

Been out working on it all day installing a pully system for an anchor, another rod holder, ice chest mounts, and put some fiberglass in the upper dry well to wall it off from the inside of the kayak for a livewell.

Can't fucking wait to take it out the first time, the suwannee river is super high and fast right now so I'm gonna have to wait a while. All good though cause I've got a week or so before the paddle is here.
>>
>>686699

I'm 6 foot, 190 pounds. I sit in an 11.5' kayak just fine. A better seat would be nice, but there are plenty of aftermarket options to choose from.

>>687865

In a sit on top, you will get wet, but its very hard to tip. You could get slammed by a wave coming over the kayak and knocked off, but realistically you probably don't wanna be out in a kayak in those conditions anyway. Dress for immersion. Wear a proper wetsuit if the water is cold (under 60 degrees). Keep a dry bag with a towel and warm clothes and prepare for the worst.

>>687870

Obviously use ratcheting straps. Use 12' straps or so. Lay the kayak across the racks. Loop the strap under the rack on one side. Toss both ends over the kayak. Loop under the rack, and ratchet tightly. Wrap up and secure the excess strap. Repeat for the other rack. For the front and back, loop a strap through the handle of the kayak and secure somewhere near the front bumper/under the car. Same for the rear. For the front/back straps, I use straps with a hook. Hook one end to the handle, one end to somewhere secure on the car, ratchet tight, and secure the excess.

When you're done, shake the kayak. The whole car should move with it and the kayak should not slide around freely. Also, dont bend the kayak by strapping over tightly in the front and back.
>>
>>682249
Do you guys know what the law is on using kayaks in rivers?

I'm a britfag and I can't tell what this 1984 government wants, as some sources say you need registration /licensing for kayaks and even inflateable boats if you want to use them in any river, while some say you don't.

Any idea? What about Italy? I wanted to go there on a kayaking / camping trip but against no clue about registration....
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.