[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /out/ feel about full time RV off the grid living? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: MGTOW2.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW2.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
How does /out/ feel about full time RV off the grid living?
I plan on selling everything and living in a van and moving from place to place and camping much of the year.
Anyone else interested in this kind of life?
>>
>>681449

You'll end up spending a shit ton on gas. Enough so you could find a place to live.
>>
I'm definitely down for off-grid and getting away from the hustle and bustle. But, honestly, to be on the road a lot seems like it's a lot of work and very tiring.

If I were to be honest with myself, my attempt to go RVing would really just result in me staying in one spot for an extended period. So, why not just go toward that. Live in a small, low-cost place and that's it.
>>
It's a good dream to have, but it really only fits after retirement, when you've built comfortable bank accounts to afford the expenses of living on the road.

I've got an aunt/uncle that are full-time RV'ers. It can be done, but unless you've got the funding to make it happen, it's not realistic.
>>
>>681449
A van is cool, but RVs are the cancer of the road
>>
>>681459
This, living on the road is expensive.

I have an RV, a travel trailer.

Gas is expensive for vehicles large enough to live in. You also need a place to park it. You can't simply "live off the grid". You need electric hookups to charge the batteries and have power. You need a place to dump your poop and waste water. You need water hookups to shower, cook, and clean the black tank.

It can be done, but it's not always cheap.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (48 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
48 KB, 426x240
>>681571
if you are paying to camp then you are doing it wrong.
KAO or goveco Campground s a shit
>>
>>681449
You will eat shit on gasoline if you are thinking about traveling a lot with a van/rv. You should really sit down and figure out what it would cost to do what you want to do and figure out what you think you will be able to afford.

Im currently prepping my car to live in. Im going to still work, but I plan on driving a lot so I need MPG. Id get a van if I could find one that didn't have 200k+ miles. There is a pickup I am looking but cant find a cheap shell for it. Ah well, stick the the plan with my car I guess. In a couple of weeks I will be hammering out a solar setup for my car so I can have power for my laptop, small tv and hopefully a electric stove so I don't have to fucking deal with propane.

Don't let people tell you its unrealistic. You might have to change your dream to fit your reality but don't let that stop you. Life to short, go for it OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak
>>
File: ATeenyTinyHouse.png (70 KB, 153x181) Image search: [Google]
ATeenyTinyHouse.png
70 KB, 153x181
>>681449
Build a tinyhouse. A well built one will last you a lot longer than any RV because you are using vastly superior materials. If I were you I'd heaad over to DIY and get some help on drawing blueprints.
>>
>>681990
Do they actually make those on /diy/?
>>
>>682835
Not sure but I'm guessing there are people there who have the knowledge and would be willing to share it if you asked.
>>
>>682839
Yeah, but first you'll have to wade through the shitstorm of YET ANOTHER TINY HOUSE THREAD!!11one! Really, check the catalog first. I don't know if there's one currently up, but if there is for the love of god don't start another one... just post in the one that's already there. I shouldn't have to tell people this, but there's much cancer across the /bestboards/ lately.
>>
>>681571

Modern vehicles get decent mpg. Panel van conversion = around 30mpg

PV cells on roof plus a split charger = enough juice to keep a couple of leisure batteries charged = no need for elec hookup

Casette toilet = empty it into any toilet, or if in wilderness, dig hole and bury...

Water = internal 70l tank would be more than enough for a couple of showers etc.

It's all about compromises.
>>
What are the countries people saying "gas is expensive" live in because gas is under 2.50 a gallon here.
>>
>>682999
Not saying gas is expensive. Cargo vans will usually get 10-15 mpg average and RVs, depending on size and how much you are carrying, will get 5-10mpgs. If you drive a lot you will spend a small fortune on gas, even at these cheap prices.
>>
>>682993
There is no panel van on the planet that will get even close to 30mpg with normal driving. Add in significant weight that you'd need for water, power, heat, etc ect, and you'd be lucky to hit 20mpg.

You still need somewhere to dump water, black and grey. You can't just haul a case the toilet into Walmart and flush it.
>>
File: 1448946033049.gif (954 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1448946033049.gif
954 KB, 320x240
>>682993
>Modern vehicles get decent mpg. Panel van conversion = around 30mpg
>>
>>683114

Fiat Ducato 35 2.3 MultiJet – 44.1mpg
Citroen Relay L1H1 e-HDI 130 SS - 42.8mpg
Nissan NV400 L1H1 2.3dCi 3300 135 SS SE FWD- 42.1mpg
Ford Transit 310 L2H2 2.2 TDCi 125 FWD ECOnetic SS – 41.5mpg
Peugeot Boxer 330 L1H1 110 – 41.5mpg
Renault Master Business FWD LM35 Energy dCi 135 – 40.9mpg

Even assuming 75% efficiency on manufacturer numbers that still puts them all over 30 mpg.

Its' all about compromises. If you're all hurr durr I gets me shitay milahge in muh amuhrican vehicul.. then buy a newer/smaller fucking van.

If you size down to a mid sized van such as a Ford Transit Connect or VW Caddy Maxi, Citroen Berlingo etc, you'll get 50-60mpg depending on engine.

And of course yes the milage will be worse once loaded down but most vans payload / conversion weight isn't that much, < 1 tonne, typically.

>>683110

Yes you need to dump water but you don;t need a hookup to do so. For waste a cassette toilet IS the most flexible. Can dump in public toilets no problem. Can't dump at walmart? Whelp, didn't realise walmart provided the only toilets in the planet.

Similar for grey water argument.

Original poster, >>681571 , said they NEED this they NEED that.

You obviously don't.
>>
>>683219
Anon, most of those are based on cars. In terms of space you wont be getting much more than the car they are based on. Also, the US hates diesel, its gas only and they dont get those high numbers.

Im mad jelly that euros get diesel transits. Mad jelly.
>>
>>683299

m8 none of those are based on cars, they're all van chassis, and would all make decent sized conversions considering most come in SWB/MWB/LWB as well as LR/MR/HR

Even the car based vans that I DID mention, like the Caddy, are big enough for kitchen/toilet/bed if not a shower. Wouldn't necessarily want to live in one full time, but if I'm actually gonna be driving the fucker around I'd definitely consider going as small as possible.
>>
Came here to make a thread about this, found this one. My apt lease ends in a few months, my gf and I don't wanna get another apt to throw money down a black hole for it. We just visited a small RV dealer and were exposed to the idea of full time RVing instead of another apartment. We both have full time jobs, and one small honda civic. We figured we could park close to her work, and I use the honda to get to my work. We have 2 cats, they would adapt. We could do this for a couple of years and save some money in the mean time because I think paying for RV costs beats rent costs in Seattle area.

But reading this thread it sounds like a bad idea... I dunno, I'm attracted to the idea of living on the road while still having a normal job/life. And the money is going into something we would own instead of rent for an apartment. We could sell it later or pay it off all the way, live in it until we are ready to buy a house. A used decent sized RV like class C from 2005 ish can be around $25k-$35k. What does out think?
>>
>>683219
Those engines are tiny. Like car engine with a van body on top tiny. Also notice how none of those have torque/hp ratings?
>>
vans in the us are way bigger with much larger weight capacity.
Also brits use imperial gallons
>>
Not sure why everyone here is freaking out about fuel costs. It won't be cheap, but it's not like you'd be moving the vehicle daily or doing a lot of in town driving. Sure you should budget for it, but there are plenty of other costs and idk why fuel is what's setting of the red flags
>>
>>683567

You can't have your cake and eat it ffs. Those engines are only tiny by American standards because you guys are a bunch of fat fucks. Depending on the van a panel van usually has a payload of between 1 and 2 tonnes, it'd be pretty retarded if they put engines in them that couldn't handle their basic function. Stop adding parameters and just accept if you so choose you can have a van that gets respectable mpg.
>>
>>683814
My truck has 3x the capacity and gets a third of the mileage, isn't that the same fuel economy for mass moved... except I did it in one shot, with one vehicle, instead of three trips or three vans?
>>
File: renault-master-combi_2174_1.jpg (84 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
renault-master-combi_2174_1.jpg
84 KB, 1200x800
>>683317
>>683567
Masters have loads of space and an ggod engine.
>>
>>683891
>french panel van

that seems like a terrible idea
>>
>>683869

What are you talking about? We're not talking about moving furniture, we're talking about a suitable platform for mobile living with the premise you'll be driving around the country.

>>683970
Renault, Vauxhall and Nissan all use the same chassis for their panel van models.

IMO if I were converting it'd be a MWB high roof Renault Master, good looking vans.

As for the slur on the French, prove it? They make pretty good cars, engines and transmissions are usually pretty good, but they have a reputation for weak electronics.
>>
>>684004
>As for the slur on the French

You can buy those french vans on Craigslist: Never fired, dropped once.
>>
File: 14899243.jpg (17 KB, 400x192) Image search: [Google]
14899243.jpg
17 KB, 400x192
>>683869
This is why we have container ships but that assumes you have loads of stuff to move.

>>683219
>Ford Transit

Have driven the older rwd version with a 2.2. They have more torque at 2000 rpm than a hilux but practically no usable torque under 1000 rpm which mean you have to smoke clutch off the line. On the highway they tow well with a load and a trailer.

>>683299
>you wont be getting much more than the car they are based on.

Nothing to do with cars.
>>
>>681449
Go buy some land instead and build a small cabin, there's endless video's to show you how to do it, there's a guy I served with he did it, bought a parcel of land in the middle of fucking nowhere and drove an old bus up there then built a cabin around it, as I understand it he works two days a week and lives on his pension, fishing and hunting.
>>
Chevy Express best bugout van
>>
>>684461
agreed
>>
>>684461
4x4?
>>
>>684878
yes please
>>
>>684878
yes , and they can be converted
>>
>>681449
Check out /r/vandwelling
So much fun, so much freedom. Go ahead, kiddo
>>
>>683463
If you have job ties and won't be constantly moving, you should consider a "tiny house" instead of a van/RV
>>
Get a trailer. That way when you have mechanical problems they are more manageable
>>
>>688223
cannot stealth camp in a trailer
>>
If you can get rid of most of your stuff, then van dwelling is the way to go. Home is everywhere. I'd recommend solar panels, internet through your phone. And the hard part: finding a career that can be done remotely, online.
>>
>>681449
is that the nomadic fanatic?
why is he so hated?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.