[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you bought land in Colorado? Set up a water
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 894x602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 894x602
Why haven't you bought land in Colorado? Set up a water well, septic tank, and solar power and you can live off grid forever. Or build a nice getaway cabin. What's stopping you?
>>
>>679208
Most people who want to get away from life are broke.

Kill me
>>
>>679208
>TFW property taxes
>Literally paying the government rent for land you own
At least cletus gets his wealfare check
>>
>>679213
>$44 annual property taxes

$2k will pay that for fifty years

That's literally nothing. My property taxes in Texas is a few grand and I live in the city on less than a quarter acre of property.
>>
I personally wouldn't want to build a cabin on dry semi-arid scrubland devoid of any trees, rivers, or hunting game.

I like how they chose a pic with a dusting of snow so you can't tell just how dry that area is.
>>
>>679208
Why would I want to buy so much sand?
>>
>>679208
> whats stopping you
It's not Arizona.

>>679220
It will be $10k/5 ac in 5 yrs. Besides, greenhouse, sq ft gardening...
>>
>>679208
Sometimes I wonder if I just went deep, deep into the woods and built a cabin (not owning any land), would anyone find me or care if I just lived on it for 10 years? Owning land isn't everything when you get the same security when you compare the stress of finances with that of someone finding you.
>>
>>679208
>Colorado
Fuck off, we're full. Hippies and deadbeats from out of state buying cheap land to live on already shat things up (literally) to the point where locals had to enforce and/or pass laws to effect what was once common courtesy and then the cunts started whining about it. They're just as bad as the yuppies and their pet minorities that have been poisoning the wells in Denver and most of the rest of the Front Range for the last couple of decades. I'll never understand why they insist on doing this stupid shit here instead of down in New Mexico; Taos is full of space cadets and mooncalfs and most of that entire state is shitty, scrubby desert just like the San Luis valley.

>t. grew up in the next county over
>>
>>679208
Colorado has shitty gun laws now.
Also WEED LMAO people.
>>
>>679208
here come the butt hurt colorado natives saying theyre full.
>>
>>679249
You mean your state is nice and people want to live there? Must be horrible.
>>
>>679208
This thread piqued my curiosity so I spent the last few hours looking at land in my general (500 or so miles) area. Could be very do-able even though I live in the inflated and overpopulated northeast.
Need to figure out minimum acreage, must be near water, preferably lots of water, lake/ocean/pond/river. The water is what's making it difficult.
>>
File: 1453084638643.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1453084638643.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>679208
>buying land that isnt fertile enough to grow your own food.
>>
>>679333
green house ftw, you don't need fertile land to supply 1 person/family.
>>
>>679208
>he does not eat
>>
>>679341
An "average" human needs roughly 1/4-1/3 of an acre of land to be able to harvest enough food to sustain him/herself for one entire year. That is assuming you get a 100 yield from what you planted, which you wont get.

Good luck building a green house that big m8.
>>
>>679350
>100%
>>
>>679231
Yes, they would find you. It might take a while, but you'd be found.
>>
I like the ocean and being away from ranchers, "patriots", and ATVs.
>>
>>679213
> Cletus
Jamal* ftfy
>>
>>679283
Yeah, it fucking is. We already had enough shitbird Texans buying summer homes here but then the Californians and east coasters started showing up because DUDE COST OF LIVING LMAO and it snowballed from there.
>>
>>679222
You could become a glass maker. Learn to make pipes, I hear that's a booming industry in CO right now.
>>
>>679283
It is a nice state and people want to move there yes. But lately it's the place to be and the huge influx of people lately is changing a lot of the things that make it nice in the first place and it's not just about the scenery. The cost of living is steadily climbing, the jobs are even more demand and the "legal" weed isn't exactly drawing in the best and brightest. I would love to move back to Colorado and one day I may do so but I don't think I'll be finding another little 2br with a fenced in yard for 800 a month. Seriously, if you visit any of the larger cities make it a point to ask people where they're originally from. There's ask reason you see those native stickers on the bumpers

The question is which poor state is next. Hopefully Montana is spared for a few decades.
>>
>>679350
I've seen a family of four produce enough in their modest back yard to not only keep themselves fed, but also sell extra organic produce to local restaurants.
>>
>>679208
Colorado is a pretty shit state to live in. All the good wilderness area is already owned by the government and the politics of the state is ran by the cities. So basically you get your choice of the shitty scrub land living in the boonies while under the state law of urban living shit lords.

no thanks. will visit, wont stay.
>>
Is any of that land worthy of prospecting for gold?

I want to buy an abanoned mine in CO, turn part of it into something habitable.
>>
>>679464
>All the good wilderness area is already being protected by the government
FTFY, senpai. I'll take a state that holds land in trust for the people over a state that has no public recreation.
>>
>>679473
I am not going to argue with an idiot that really believes people cannot cooperative for a common benefit unless its under the magical government.

also learn the difference between preservation and conservation. the government leases lands to industry and private recreation firms all the time.
>>
>>679208
I'd rather buy land where I live. That scrub land looks like its only good for cattle.
>>
>>679215
That you Dad?
>>
>>679462
No, no you havent.
>>
>>679208
Theres some cheap land there I was looking at recently, like $700 an acre.
>>
>>679479

>cooperative for a common benefit

Literally what the government is for, brosef.
>>
>>679480
good for cattle for a very short time
>>
Shitty gun laws along with a changing political climate + population boom.

Looking to go to Idaho
>>
>>679564
>Literally what the government is for, brosef.

K.E.K
>>
File: 1454282808122.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1454282808122.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>679471
Motherfucking good idea anon.
>>
>>679208
>yfw aquifer runs out and your well runs dry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer
>>
>>679208

>san luis valley

enjoy fucking nothing but illegal immigrants and poor white trash.

Alamosa is the butthole of Colorado.
>>
>>679208
>Why haven't you bought land in Colorado?

Bc I live in Scandinavia. If i lived somewhere where i could get ~100+ acres for less than $100k then I would buy. In some years ill buy a place in the based swedish nature. Where i can spend my summers.
>>
>>679215
if you make improvements to the land like OP is suggesting, wont that increase your property taxes?
>>
>>679423

Its real hard to get materials to a place without people noticing.

I legally did what your talking about.
>>
>>679485
Hey buddy. How's it going?
>>
>>679350
1/8 of an acre 100% yield is correct
i know, I live in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>679485
Get off the computer and do your homework son or you're grounded
>>
>>680209
Get that logic outta here
>>
File: self-sufficiency-infographic.png (2 MB, 800x2483) Image search: [Google]
self-sufficiency-infographic.png
2 MB, 800x2483
>>679462
>>681727
You should try to live off 1/8 of an acre of food m8. I dare you.
>>
>>679564
But that's not how it's working, now is it? The world would be a much better place if all governments were taken down.
>>
>>681948
Dude just... Go to /pol/ or or pay attention in class
>>
>>679208
>America
>>
>>681994
I know, we're getting more and more picky about who we let in. Sorry.
>>
>>679434
Up top. I just want to move to a coastal city up north and leave all the shitheads behind. California fucking blows

I'm ready to leave
>>
is this what viral marketing looks like now
>>
>>679213
>Murica
>you have to pay to use your own land :-DDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>680209
It's about concealing your improvements, so the taxman doesn't hammer you. I live in a county that is ridiculous about nickeling and diming people to death. I heard about a guy that installed a short antenna to get better tv reception and ran guy wires to small 18"X18" concrete pads in addition to the 18"X18" pad that the antenna sat on. The county increased his taxes for building five "patios" on his property. When he complained, they told him "What do you care, we're only charging you $5 a piece."

My rage when my little worthless county is responsible for more than half of all the tax protests for the entire state, because of the shady ways they do things. I went to a tax protest court hearing, and the state hearing officer turned purple with rage, when he asked my local tax assessor why they increased my 40 acre property in $27,000 evaluation during one year, and the local tax assessor could only shrug his shoulders and say "I don't know."

So now if put down a concrete pad as a base for something, I cover it with gravel, because gravel driveway tax evaluations don't cost anything compared to concrete, and I can have a nice level driveway without getting eaten alive by the parasites.
>>
>>679215
Our property taxes for 600 acres in wear tx is less than $700 a year
>>
>>679249
Colorados been a shot hole forever. Denvers ok and the mt towns are ok but seriously, every town you go thru looks like anywhere in alabama
>>
>>679449
Boy if it wasnt for Texans money, you niggers wouldnt have shit.
>>
>>683544
it's really sad that this happens
>>
Alaska is better if you are seriously considering this. Oil is ruining our economy and land is hitting rock bottom because there's no jobs.

No job for you either, probably. But if you can make a living off of 3g internet, doing freelance programming work, its a seriously awesome deal. Took the plunge a couple years back and will never live anywhere else.
>>
>>683724
>In Russia, capitalism defeat communism
>In America, capitalism defeated democracy.
>>
Living off grid always seemed cool at first, but I'm not really sold on the concept. No matter what, you will still need some amount of income to make a go of it and I think many people just have too many conveniences in urban living that would be really tough to give up.

It would be fun as a project to get some land somewhere and build your own shed/cabin. The only problem is that, at the end of it, you'd have this shed out in the woods that you'd have to go out there to keep an eye on. I suppose you could sell it afterward, but could you even get your money back on it?

There is a guy on youtube that does a lot of videos I enjoy about offgrid.

https://youtu.be/fJsDOD0dTQI

He even has plans and stuff to do this. I believe he lives out there full time now.
>>
>>683811
>freelance programming

Exactly what I want to start doing to fund my /out/ lifestyle, anon. How'd you start out?
>>
>>683811
This

Alaska is much better for land
>>
File: rickoptometrist.png (171 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
rickoptometrist.png
171 KB, 500x327
from canada here, whats a colnorado?
>>
>>679208
Do they really sell land on ebay?
>>
>>679208
I already have land in Colorado.
a house too.
and a shed.

and an office.
and a warehouse.
>>
>tfw going to school in Boulder next year
>tfw californian

I want to apologize in advance, and I promise I won't be an asshole.
>>
>>684378
You'll fit right in.
Also, fuck boulder.
And california.
>>
>>680059
How is Pagosa Springs these days?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.