[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get un-scared of being /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 23
File: maximum spooky.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
maximum spooky.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
/x/enophile here, naturally I'm always spooped but I like being outdoors, it's just that I don't like sleeping in the outdoors at night. Got any tips to not be paranoid about every twig crack?
>>
Go out to a spot during the day and just sit quietly for a few hours and listen to the woods, listen all the little sounds they make and get familiar with them. Since it daylight out the instinct part of your brain won't be quite so on edge.

Do this a couple times, then go back to that spot at night and do the same thing. You'll be more familiar with the standard background sounds of the woods so hopefully you'll be more comfortable and less on edge.
>>
File: CRW_0070.jpg (199 KB, 953x715) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0070.jpg
199 KB, 953x715
The woods sound pretty different at night but what this anon says is true. It's all about familiarity. Also, at dawn shit gets crazy, especially in the spring.
>>
>>678127

Take a gun.
>>
There's only two options:

1. Just plop down a tent in the middle of the woods and try to get used to it. You probably won't sleep very well the first night, but you'll get there.

2. Slowly push your self out of your comfort zone. Start by hiking later every night, until you're eventually comfortable with walking through the forest at 02:00 (singing helps a lot). Or start by sleeping in someone's back yard and escalate from there.

And remember, man is the most dangerous animal of all, and a majority of wild animals prefer to stay WAY clear of you. For everything else, there's handguns and knives.
>>
long before skinwalkers and goatmen became a meme, i was scared of them. i grew up in a backwoods town in oregon and my grandpa used to tell me stories about bat people and goatmen in Vietnam. I have a hard time telling myself that goat people arent real, and that i have a .45.
>>
File: fuck-yeah-story-time.jpg (32 KB, 438x418) Image search: [Google]
fuck-yeah-story-time.jpg
32 KB, 438x418
>>678157
anon please tell me about the bat people and goatmen anon. pls anon
>>
>>678127
I wouldn't worry about it
>>
Go /out/ with a friend or two who are more comfortable in the woods, this will also help you acclimate.

Humans are social creatures, if we're alone in an unfamiliar it can amplify our fight/flight response. If we are with someone we know, and that someone is calm and comfortabke then we will likely be more calm and comfortable.
>>
>>678127
Fear is a meme. Nothing out there actually wants to hurt you, it's just a myth perpetuated by the firearms industry to scare you into buying their wares.

I go out for weeks at a time with no tent and no guns, I've ran into bears and wild canids and all the ever do is look at you and realize you're not worth the damage you could potentially do to them. That said, if you start running away, it would probably spark their predatory instinct, just stare them down and tell them you'll fuck them up if they mess with you. This also guarantees you to get laid if you brought a lady-friend.
>>
>>678127
Drink booze.
>>
Stop browsing /x/
>>
>>678127
literally everything on /x/ is 100% bullshit. none of that shit is real. stop being a child.
>>
>>678127
Stop believing what you read on /x/. 100% of it is bullshit. Basically if there's no proof, it's not real.
>>
>>678204
This
>>
File: Silver Bullets.jpg (139 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Silver Bullets.jpg
139 KB, 900x900
>>678127
Bring a gun...if that don't work...bring more gun.
>>
>>678204
While I agree that bringing a firearm is a meme, some of the fear we feel is just natural. We weren't always the apex predator and straying far from the fire at night probably wasn't a good idea back in the day.

Fear doesn't have to be rational, but you also can't let irrational fears stop you from doing something as fun as going /out/.
>>
>>678293
I'm not a religious type, but I do make offerings to local gods or spirits when in foreign lands and buy lucky charms...I don't know habit or hobby for me.

I bless my CLP and anoint my guns that way.
>>
File: skeptical.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
skeptical.png
11 KB, 429x410
>>678297
>>
>>678127

I usually just my crack pipe down for a minute or two.
>>
>>678297
Ok, I'm just saying that the idea that you need a gun to be safe while /out/ting is false. If it helps you get over your irrational fears, go for it. If you /out/ in one of the few places where you actually need it for protection, go for it. If you like doing hippy spirit offerings and it involves guns, I'm not going to stop you.
>>
Pretend you're a killer that just escaped from prison. Trick your mind into thinking everyone is afraid of you.
>>
>>678127

The smell of smoke is going to ward off wild animals, because they've most-likely ran into a human group with a fire pit.

Lions stalk at dawn and dusk, but they usually scope their meal from high. They won't go after you, too many smaller animals to chase.

If you keep your tent and person clear of the smell of food, you'll be fine. Smoke and snoring will scare them. If you don't snore, they won't find you anyway.

Coyotes can patrol in groups. They sound scary at night, but they're too skiddish to go after a human.

Goatmen will kill you though. If you start smelling copper, you're probably going to die.
>>
>>678154
>And remember, man is the most dangerous animal of all, and a majority of wild animals prefer to stay WAY clear of you. For everything else, there's handguns and knives.

That's all fine and good but I'm scared of demons, skinwalkers and other supernatural shit. I never believe in them but as soon as I am alone in the woods I start panicking.
>>
My older cousin Charlie was always afraid of the woods, especially at night and we used to make fun of him for being a little baby when we were all little kids together.

He lived out in the country and was surrounded by dense forest so it made no sense to me that he'd be so scared of something that he'd grown up around. Finally years later when we were at a family reunion and I was 18 and he was 20, he confided in me why he was so scared of the woods. He said that they had a woodpile for the house that was pretty close to the forest and his dad would make him go get wood from there at night a few times a year, and that he could always hear whispering in the woods when he got close enough. Menacing whispers and he just knew somehow that they were calling for him to come into the woods.

He was fine being in the woods during the day, and he eventually got brave enough to go hunting during the day all by himself. But he'd always go hunting in the morning so that he wouldn't risk being caught alone in the woods at night.

Well a couple years after that, he'd probably be about 23 years old, he was out hunting in those woods and somehow became lost. This was in super rural Idaho so there was no cell reception at his parent's house or in the forest.

His parents were starting to get worried because he'd been gone all day and night had fallen. They were outside looking towards the forest and discussing what to do, when they saw a flare go up above the woods about 2 miles or so in the distance.

They got their flashlights and dogs and went as quickly as they could in the direction of the flare. When they got there they found their son lying on the ground, eyes wide open with a look of fear and disbelief, dead.

He had an autopsy done of course, and the doctor said he had a congenital heart defect that had been undetected previously. But we knew the truth. Something in the woods had been waiting for him all these years. And it finally got him.
>>
>>678313
congrats, doesn't matter if the other person is a crazy guy trespassing on public lands with a gun, crotch hunting dogs, and has surgical bone saws on his person. You just fired a gun at another human being NOT on your property or in your home. They will tend to believe the other party over you. Only way you can get away with a gun as defense is if you are a police officer, current/past military man, or a good looking woman. Just invest in a stun gun with firing pin cartridges, mace(bear, moose grade), and a dog. Only bring a gun if you have permission to hunt/license/tags in said state. Much better to have a REASON for said gun.
Also all those supernatural shit you are afraid of, are mostly people who KNOW they can get away with getting rid of the stranger who didn't spend hundreds at a hotel/businesses/stores/licensing.
That and you are fucked as shit when a skinwalker or such is involved. Ask any surviving peoples living on reservations about that shit. And understand nothing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>678367
What are you talking about?
>>
File: goatman_illo-feature.jpg (102 KB, 884x536) Image search: [Google]
goatman_illo-feature.jpg
102 KB, 884x536
>>678338
>Goatmen will kill you though

That's anti-goat propaganda spread by fleshgaits (or as the uninformed call them, skinwalkers).
At worst, Goatmen will wreck your camp while you're asleep or away.

don't bring women along though, it might trigger some
>>
File: 7913995588_6865f502b4_z.jpg (133 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
7913995588_6865f502b4_z.jpg
133 KB, 640x428
>>678143
>>678146
>>678338
Noted.

>>678201
I always go camping with friends, I still don't like it.

>>678220
>>678246
Get out.

>>678357
This anon understands, I browse /x/ cause I like spooky shit. It's just that it tends to make me very paranoid.

>>678361
5/10
Shit ending.
>>
>>678361
this pasta tastes bland
>>
>>678367
You legitimately, truly, absolutely, comprehensively, fully, completely do not know what your are talking about. Please never try and talk about that again, God rest your soul.

Nobody listen to him, he knows very little about this process.
>>
I was always afraid of the Nöck when i was a kid because old people told lots of stories.
i didn't like dark waters and plants touching my feet while swimming.
then i grew older and forced myself to swim in those waters at night and now i am okay with it.
still afraid of the unearthly ones though
>>
File: 6a7d8d37585.jpg (32 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
6a7d8d37585.jpg
32 KB, 500x400
>>678361
there is something out there and it ain no man
>>
>>678204
>just stare them down
Please don't actually stare down a predator if you see one. This is a really really bad idea
>>
/x/ shit aside, how do you avoid psychos, or junkies or violent hobos?

I don't live in Ameriga, getting a decent gun is hard as fuck.
>>
>>678283
FYI... Silver has notably shit ballistics.
>>
>goatman
>skinwalker
you faggots are retarded, the only thing that can fuck you up in the woods are other humans, bears, wolves, mountain lions and maybe a few other animals that I'm forgetting. Stop spreading lies over internet and grow the fuck up.
>>
>>678162
Keep in mind that these are stories told to me:
>Be humping gear innajungle at 2am
>Cant even see hand in front of face
>black on black shadows flitting between trees
>them yellow men wearing black pyjamas
>sudden hand to hand scuffle with unknown
>Get flashlight out after defeating assailant
>pure black figure with large cloak on it
>Before a decent look is had creature scrambles out of flashlight beam and back amongst tree
>2 seconds later, platoon is surrounded on all sides by VC
>spends next 2 years in hanoi hotel
Im probably missing parts of this story, and i dunno how true it is.
>>
>>678631
irrational fears have contributed to mankinds survival. Its okay to be afraid, because fear leads to courage.
>>
>>678673
prolly just a dink in a cloak, being used to flush-out GI Joe for the rest of the VC

but that sucks
>>
>>678700
no, it leads to the dark side anon
>>
>>678193
don't listen to this poster he is a skeleton
>>
>>678618
doesn1t matter if you magdump up close
>>
>>678497
pepperspray them into submission, finish off with a big stick
>>
>>678127
Just drop some acid and be done with it, you will love mother nature, forever.
>>
>>678726
>drop acid
>sit down at the base of a mighty tree
>trip balls while you're slowly eaten alive by ants
>one with nature
>>
Walk far enough that you're pretty tired but not exhausted, set up camp, eat, and you should sleep well, and some whiskey, can't forget the whiskey.
>>
File: 1448836394433.jpg (72 KB, 312x350) Image search: [Google]
1448836394433.jpg
72 KB, 312x350
>>678127
>>678157
>>678338

>be me
>browsing this thread
>haha, this weenie is scared of the dark
>what the fuck is a goatman though?
>google "goatman"
>The Goatman of Maryland refers to a legendary half-goat half-human cryptid that has the head and hindquarters of a goat and the body of a human.
>According to urban legend, the Goatman is an axe-wielding half-animal, half-man creature that was once a scientist who worked in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center. The tale holds that he was experimenting on goats, the experiment went awry, and he began attacking cars with an axe, roaming the back roads of Beltsville, Maryland.
>tfw I'm from MD
>tfw live near Beltsville
>tfw right down the road from the Agricultural Research Center

ohfugg.jpg
>>
File: 1355631989272.png (346 KB, 1803x1090) Image search: [Google]
1355631989272.png
346 KB, 1803x1090
>>678127
okay so, this is what runs through my brain even when i freak out at nighttime outside
How many times as anything bad happened /out/?
i run those words through my head and they instantly calm me down
you know why? because NOTHING ever happens outside, bar one or two really fucking weird experiences but they were drug related so they kinda dont count..but for real at that point i swear there was something prowling our bush killing our possums and owls and shit...but lol. nah what i think is "I'm so fucking king of this area, nothing is going to fuck with me. If i wanted to stand on this log for an hour i could and nothing would stop me." i know thats a retarded way to think but its moreso backing yourself up, if you look and feel confident and also have light, nothings going to fuck with you.(for the most part)
>>
File: 1440869018614.jpg (85 KB, 974x666) Image search: [Google]
1440869018614.jpg
85 KB, 974x666
>>678204

Yea, I need to buy a new gun each time I go outdoors..

Fuck outta here faggot. There are niggers outdoors and even a couple in the woods. I encountered two today in Spring Mountains National Recreation Area in Nevada.
>>
>>678357
I'm the same way, normally very rational and I don't believe in anything supernatural, but when I'm sleeping out under the stars in the dark, suddenly I'm paranoid.
>WHAT IF
>What if I'm wrong and there's all kinds of unknown shit out there?
>>
>>679833
I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>678127

By reminding myself that I'm the scariest thing out there.
>>
File: 1409324090875.jpg (235 KB, 774x820) Image search: [Google]
1409324090875.jpg
235 KB, 774x820
>>679835
>>
File: nicetrygoatman.png (228 KB, 774x609) Image search: [Google]
nicetrygoatman.png
228 KB, 774x609
>>678375
>>
>>679853
Haha I love these
there is nothing dangerous out in the woods just be smart keep your food way from your tent
>>
Be tired enough to not care
>>
Think about the vast, crushing infinity of the universe you live in and all the countless stars and bodies that move through it millenia after millenia. Understand there is so much we cannot perceive or comprehend with the tiny cone of senses our little carbon-based body has granted us, that there is fucking nothing you can do about it, and chill out under the stars listening to the sound of the wind and trees. Some hypothetical imaginary goat man doesn't seem so scary after that. But yeah YMMV.
>>
>>678497
Same way you would do while walkinng trough a city with the slight difference that you carry an Axe or a knife.
>>
>>678496
Better than running away. Get very big and threatening, they won't fuck with some because if the reasons stated
>>
File: Mfqf4UY.jpg (277 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Mfqf4UY.jpg
277 KB, 1024x1024
I live in oregon and get super paranoid innawoods.
Every sound is a bigfoot...
>>
People = danger

suburbs = lots of people
cities = you smell their vaginas
woods = not many people

Hence, you're fine.
>>
>>680942
>cities = you smell their vaginas

Does that cost extra?
>>
>>678162
>>678157
goatmen and bigfoot = old and busted
dogmen = the new hotness

if you are unfortunate enough to run into a dogman while /out/ you'll never camp again.
>>
>>678127
Fire wildly in the direction of any noise until magazine is empty, reload and continue. Trust, yo.
>>
>>679823
Did you report them to your local park ranger?
>>
>>678127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251rNGbKS6w
>>
>>678157
>>678162
>>682305
>>
>>682289
>goatmen and bigfoot = old and busted
>dogmen = the new hotne
molemen ftw
1st rule of molemen is nobody talks about molem...
>>
>>682305
>All those comments

Oh America.
>>
File: 1450238788658.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1450238788658.gif
1 MB, 300x225
>>682326
>reading youtube comments
>>
>>678127

I grew up in Tasmania.

I get unscared by BEING out.

I only get scared in cities.
>>
>>682362
P much this. I've been more scared being in shit neighborhoods in philadelphia than when I've dun fucked up while /out/.
>>
File: clusters.jpg (198 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
clusters.jpg
198 KB, 1280x853
>>
>>682815
So what the hell was that 2hr radio about? I clicked the link, listened for 90 seconds and then realized I don't have 2hrs to waste.

Synopsis?
>>
File: 01.jpg (68 KB, 376x459) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
68 KB, 376x459
>>682816
>waste entire life on 4chan
>to busy(lazy) to watch youtube video
>>
>>682818
Well it was a radio interview, so not even a video. Plus I had SportsCenter on TV, then my landlord came through, then I had to pick doge up from the vet, then I went fishing.

All while shitposting a little on the side.
>>
>>682822
>It didnt even have a video
So? Are you special Ed or something? You cant just listen to people talk without moving images? You are that fucked in the head?

>then I went fishing.
In a National Park?

You gon' get clustered m8.
>>
File: 1408048905400.jpg (22 KB, 422x352) Image search: [Google]
1408048905400.jpg
22 KB, 422x352
>>678313
>your irrational fears

please explain 100% in detail how to go /out/ never having any violent encounters.
>>
>>678377
>Get out.
This isn't /x/. Go back to your containment board.
>>
>>678731
>be me
>drop acid with gf in woods
>wandering around the thorns and brush
>stumble across almost 100% intact deer skeleton
>grin
>nope right outta there before gf starts lunch boxing
>get to lake
>all of a sudden lots of people start showing up to the lake
>starts to rain
>we start bawling and cracking up
>get the hairy eyeball from everyone
>nope back to the deer
>>
dress up like this... put blackmetal on your little iphone speaker... sit around the fire at night polishing some kind of huge ass knife or sword...
>>
>>684075
>sit around the fire at night polishing my sword
yep, done that, if by sword you mean peniz
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.