[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a good ruck for the Bataan Death March Memorial Ruck,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: myb060903101_5[1].jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
myb060903101_5[1].jpg
152 KB, 600x600
I need a good ruck for the Bataan Death March Memorial Ruck, right now I'm training with pic related and it's awful. Any suggestions?
>>
File: Goruck-GR1-Military.jpg (91 KB, 740x490) Image search: [Google]
Goruck-GR1-Military.jpg
91 KB, 740x490
>>675430

>inb4 Goruck GR1
>>
>>675430
ALICE with upgraded straps, ILBE are both solid options and they're cheap.
>>
>>675474
I'd buy one of those instantly if they didn't cost so damn much
>>
>>675498

You own a Mystery Ranch and complain about Goruck being expensive?
>>
>>675596
I am not op m8
>>
>>675474
>backwards flag
When will this meme die?
>>
>>675430
What's wrong with it? Don't guys suck dick for Mystery Ranch?
>>
>>675430
What about quiting the milspec molle shit and just buy a normal hiking ruck, like Osprey or Deuter?
>>
>>675623
> did not learn flag etiquette

Back to Tenderfoot for you.
>>
>>675708

I don't care for tacticool shit either but to play devil's advocate.

>Not as customizable
>Most ospreys and deuters only have one or two pouches and are a bitch to organize and use for anything other than lightweight hiking packs.
>They sacrifice durability and practicality to keep weight down.
>They feel cheap considering what they cost.

If you want to have a dedicated backpack for hiking, they're the most comfortable no doubt but I find most military wannabe shit to be better for day-to-day.

You can't really argue with the quality of a goruck or mystery ranch. They're buy once, cry once bags.
>>
>>675870
>>Not as customizable
Correct
>>Most ospreys and deuters only have one or two pouches and are a bitch to organize and use for anything other than lightweight hiking packs.
No, they both have several hundred models, and thats just two makers, there are hundreds more, you can get exactly what you are looking for with the perfect amount and placement of pouches
>>They sacrifice durability and practicality to keep weight down.
No, only UL models do. There are many makers that offer tanks. I'm pretty sure several Bach packs would make it trough the fall and second rise of mankind without a hickup.
>>They feel cheap considering what they cost.
Whut? Ever seen a Gregory or a Mammut pack from close?

You got some serious prejudice there hombre. If milspec would be so great, everybody would use them for hiking or mountaineering, but everybody seems to prefer the real backpacks.
So if you don't need to strap a medpack or extra ammo pouches to your pack, then there is not much need for a molle pack, xcept /fa/ ofc.
>>
If you're bitching about mystery ranch comfort then you either have the wrong frame size and/or don't understand that carrying heavy loads for longs periods of time isn't supposed to be comfortable.
>>
>>675905

I don't know, fella.

No Deuter or Osprey bag has ever felt like it was worth the price of admission to me when I've checked them out in person.

They're probably bomb-proof and you're probably right that I have a lot of prejudice with regards to lightweight equipment feeling cheap.

Oh well.
>>
>>676012
This one doesn't have a frame.
>>
File: customhelags.jpg (667 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
customhelags.jpg
667 KB, 1200x1600
>>675870
>not custumizing your non-milspec rucksack
>>
I guess I should clarify, when I say it gets uncomfortable I mean it puts all the weight on my traps. I've done plenty of rucking before so it's not that I can't handle the weight.
>>
>>676242
you're using emotion in what should be a logical thought process. Actual mil-spec stuff generally uses cheaper components, because it's made by the lowest bidder. There's also very little incentive to keep weight down, only cost per unit, so why use the more expensive ultralight fabric when the heavier, cheaper cordura will do?

Beyond that, Osprey in particular has a no questions asked lifetime guarantee. I could light my pack on fire right now, send it in and get a brand new one. Not aware of any military themed pack companies who do that.
>>
>>678277

I wasn't talking about milsurp.

I was talking about stuff like Mystery Ranch, Goruck and Maxpedition to a lesser extent.

Some people like different things and we can both be right.

Now go set your Osprey on fire.
>>
>>678277

I generally find that decent molle packs make better *work* packs for me in my field of employment, since I can strap random shit to them a lot easier. If moving to different job sites on short notice wasn't a concern, I might consider a separate set of stuff just for backpacking.
>>
>>678277
>Actual mil-spec stuff generally uses cheaper components, because it's made by the lowest bidder
You mean the military pays the lowest price to the contractor that meets their specifications. If mil-spec is cheap it's because the military specifically asked for it to be cheap.

Lowest bidder =/= cheap
>>
>>678239
A) straps not fitted to you
B) to much weight for the frame

Normally the frame transfers all the weight to the frame which transfers it to your hips via hipbelt and in the end there should be only little to no weight on your shoulders, but all on your hips.
Now this is the theory. If you have broad shoulders/chest (doyouevenlift), you might need at pack that fits you better (broader back, S type straps). And if you overweight the pack in relation to its frame, you gonna get the same problem.

Check what weightclass you 'll need, go to store, ask about packs in that class, try different loaded packs, check which one fits you best. You can get pretty reasonable prices if you buy last seasons gear (which is mostly the same as this seasons gear, just a different color).

If you need milspec and also need to haul heavy, there are several European makers that have internal/external frame packs for military use (Savotta, Berghaus, Bergans). In most situations you are better off with just a regular hiking pack.
>>
File: IJA Type 99 Backpack.jpg (228 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
IJA Type 99 Backpack.jpg
228 KB, 800x800
>>
>>675430
i did it with an ALICE way back in the day. i'm not sure those small mystery ranch bags are meant for 35 pounds of gear.

either way good luck. we had 2 guys from my unit drop out and we weren't exactly cooks or anything. don't train on roads because it isn't a road ruck.
>>
>>675430
Please elaborate what you don't like about the MR bag? I've been thinking of buying one (3DAP).
>>
>>678285
While I haven't set my osprey pack on fire I have dealt with their returns before and they stitched up my pack pretty good, and even took apart places I had made on trail repairs and fixed them much sturdier than I had
>>
>>675430
MR is good shit, I have that pack and it's great, so not sure what your issue is or what would be better suggestions. Maybe dead bird or Kifaru.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.