[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
California Conservation Corps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: CCC.png (49 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
CCC.png
49 KB, 200x200
Have any of you sc/out/s gone through the CCC/backcountry program? Is it any fun/worth it? General americorps and such thread.
>>
>>673234
That has always been my dream, but life took me towards other paths :(
>>
I worked with the Montana and Wyoming corps this summer working with the NPS. They seemed to have a good time, it's definitely a lot of work, but they get to see and do some pretty amazing things and you make some lifelong friends.
>>
File: Flaming Gorge 024.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Flaming Gorge 024.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
Haven't heard anything glaringly negative, but what I have heard vouches for >>673577 statements. If you can, time in the corp is perfect for sc/out/s.

I can answer any questions about American Conservation Experience (ACE) if anyone has any or are thinking about joining a Corp.
>>
File: IMG_4335.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4335.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>>673821
How hard is it to get onto an ACE crew? I have spotty work history from when I was a shitty teenager. Is this going to make it harder for me? Is being an experienced backpacker helping my chances any?
>>
>>674124
Your spotty work history shouldn't. ACE is definitely in a growth mindset so they are trying to get a lot of bodies. If you can come across as respectable and not a hippie on the phone interview you should be fine. If you are an experienced backpacker make sure this is noted. If you have previous corp or volunteer experience then you should be a shoe in. It does not hurt to apply.

That being said, where you end up going is very, very important. Unless its Lake Tahoe, do not join the Cali branch, nor the Flagstaff branch. The best in terms of food, housing, organization and morale are Asheville and Utah. If you want a college dorm style, party all the time atmosphere filled with long nights at the Green Room and downtown Flagstaff and be one in a hundred other corpmembers, by all means join Flagstaff. But the real adventure is to be had in Utah. We're literally 20 minutes from Zion, a few hours from Bryce and Capitol Reef. Hurricane has two full blown reservoirs perfect for swimming and cliff diving. Innadesert or innacanyon is literally a 15 minute walk from the dorm, and in a 30 minute drive you can be innaAlpine up in Pine Valley. Plus, people love road tripping, whereas Flagstaff off days are all /in/.
>>
What's the kicker on the Santa Cruz branch? I saw they had openings for people working the PCT which actually sounds kinda cool. if its a morale or structure problem then that sucks.
>>
>>674218
Structure. As of 3 months ago real poor organization and internal communication due to high turnover of staff. However, PCT will probably be worth high levels of bullshit, and I have a low tolerance for needless avoidable administrative bull shit so it might cloud my assessment. If it wasn't for the chance to work on the PCT, I'd say avoid but that is one hell of an opportunity.
>>
Taking a bus to the Ukiah branch tomorrow to work at the residential center. Thinking about applying for backcountry once i can transfer.
wish me luck boys
>>
>>676034
Good luck dude. I really want to do this but a girlfriend and job are making it really hard to commit. :/
>>
I applied for NCCC last year, but they took so long to give a reply I had to make other plans :(
>>
>>679003
Open to other corps?
>>
So you really have to be 25 and younger for all these corps wtf is with that
>>
>>679596
There is an exception for veterans for some corps, and you might be able to be a "volunteer" outside of the NCCC or Vista system and still get paid. As to 25 and other, not sure of the actual justification, but it is more of a youth development geared program.
>>
>>673234
I really wish I could do it but I'd have to skip my spring quarter to get into the CCC

Maybe when I graduate I'll apply and see what happens. Looks like a good time from what I've seen
>>
The C's have a pretty big reputation in the trails world. Most kids who come out of the C's come out with an almost fanatical work ethic that's based largely in a sense of competition. Its pretty fraternal and the C's is run like the military, obviously because there's a lot of vets in its ranks. Its always a competition to see who can hike the fastest, farthest, put the most steps in, etc. Pretty silly considering how hard trail work is on your body.

That being said I know a bunch of young people who never went to college but now have decent careers in the NPS after going through the CCC, although any corps program will probably get you there.
>>
it says on the california conservation corps website that being a california resident is necessary for employment. Is this true for all CCC programs? I live in mass so I'd much rather go somewhere else to work outdoors.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.