[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Primitive Technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: drill.png (2 MB, 1587x893) Image search: [Google]
drill.png
2 MB, 1587x893
Making drills.

This guy is going to develop spaceflight in a dozen more episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEl-Y1NvBVI
>>
>>671654
Love that guy. Maximum comfy. Wish he did more videos.
>>
>>671654
There is an axe in the background.
>>
I'm usually not a fan of these kind of primitive survival videos because I'm like "what's the point", but this was actually really cool to watch his tool progression.
>>
>>671658
Indeed there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-34JfUrHY
>>
>>671660
I think the appeal is that it isn't so much survival techniques as it is stone age engineering. He's not recommending you do this in a survival situation, he's just showing off human ingenuity from thousands of years ago.
>>
>>671654
This channel is something else. I hope he can preserve it in it's silent, learn by watching style for as long as he keeps doing it.
Maybe he can write a book when he's done.
>>
>>671820
It's so great to see someone who's competent at things and doesn't feel the need to constantly hear himself talk on camera
>>
The tapping made my dog bark.
>>
>>671660
When you see the buildings this guy makes you realise that he's not a "survivalist". This is just standard living for a primitive people. The stuff he does is stuff that you would do if you planned on living permanently in a stone-age settlement.
>>
anybody else feel aroused when watching him work
>>
File: OpieNoFag.jpg (37 KB, 352x375) Image search: [Google]
OpieNoFag.jpg
37 KB, 352x375
>>671654
I hadn't heard of this guy before today. Good stuff. Many thanks.
>>
Any other youtube channels that are similar in nature to this guys channel? I am looking for some quality channels.
>>
File: SpongebobNeedsIt.jpg (40 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
SpongebobNeedsIt.jpg
40 KB, 500x298
> Still no primitive metal smithing video
>>
fuck yeah.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (69 KB, 648x446) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
69 KB, 648x446
>>671654

>watching this with Godspeed You! Black Emperor playing in the background
>>
This guys inspires me to leave my life behind and live as mother nature intended.
>>
>>671654
I feel like I will never be this /out/
But I can try
>>
>>672449
smithing when he;s making a hut out of sun dried bricks and wood?
>>
>>672449
Primitive metalworking is going to be with copper as the metals define the stage of advance. There is a short vid here about it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV4ypuT1C7N0seLx7oLDNuw
>>
>>671654
I really don't get the volume of viewers watching this sort of thing and being astounded. Whenever I visit my family in rural forested Ethiopia they do these things, honestly most forest people in the world do what he does and you can find videos of it but they don't get the attention he gets. How come?
>>
>>672656
he's white, it's a hobby for him instead of a means of living, and he posted to reddit
>>
His website says there'll be a video every month and he wants to smelt iron
>>
>>671654
Love this guy.

Grabs your attention without saying a word.
>>
>>672656
Your family in Ethiopia live almost naked using stone tools and making mud huts?
>>
>>672656
Well, not all of us are niggers that visit even poorer niggers regularly.
Also, this. I call bullshit on your little story, faggot.
>>672692
>>
The 'simpleness' of what he makes, coupled with the complete absence of any talking and only nature sounds (aside from the annoying airplanes) is what makes it so damn comfy and appealing to anyone with a drop of caveman-blood left in them.

Can't wait for him to get to smelting/forging. He mentioned there's a deposit of iron close by.

Shame he can't hunt (like with the sling he made earlier), but you can't have everything.
>>
>>672470
this guy gets it
>>
>>672470
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor
I have that but never listened to it much after the first few minutes. I think it was discordant or something and it made me anxious lol.
I'll have to try it again.
>>
>>671654
Mind blown.

It always annoys me when people genuinely think ancient aliens did shit on our behalf. We had the same types of people then as we do now and had a long time to develop skills and techniques.
Awesome stuff op
>>
>>672449
I've talked to him on his website, and he says he's actually going to start smelting iron soon.
>>
>>671654
I prefer the fire plough method. The hand drill hurts. Bow drill is best for making BFE, but fire pistons are awesome if you have a source for bamboo to make them.

I've done pretty much all the other methods of fire making, but not the one in the OP vid. That's pretty damn cool.

I love his vids:

+10 for tripod/mounted view
+5 for no music
+50 for no fucking talking
+20 for no shaky cam the entire time
>>
>>672294
literally none. His channel is unique in itself. Others related to genre maybe but youl never find similar shit to this.
>>
>>672701
whos to say he doesnt...just off camera. if i chose to live a life so off grid as to revert to stone age tools i would hunt regardless of law. all that said im sure he has an actual home so its not necessary nor should he.
>>
>>672294
Yeah, none really. Check out,

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlfieAesthetics

It isn't the same thing though, so don't go in thinking that.
>>
>>672547
primitive metalworking could be a bronze first though.. in some parts of the middle east, they melted copper that had other shit mixed in by the earth and it just happened to make a low grade form of bronze.
>>
>>672964
Post sauce for making bamboo fire pistons?
>>
>>673331
yep seconded
>>
>>672964
Yeah, I still don't get why he didn't made a bow drill, it's so fast
>>
is this guy a NEET or does he literally live off the grid

that's a mighty amount of free time put into those tools. it's pretty nice, would live like that 2bh
>>
>>671656
Same. He does seem to spend quite a lot of time on some of his projects though - the tiled roof hut took him over 100 days to complete, so I can understand him not releasing a lot of videos.

But this is nice to watch before going to sleep.
>>
File: 1384609097792.jpg (80 KB, 531x798) Image search: [Google]
1384609097792.jpg
80 KB, 531x798
>>672916
Aww yiss
>>
>>673609
From his FAQ on the about page:
>Q.Do you live in the wild?
>A.I don't live in the wild but just go into the bush to make these projects. Also I camp out here occasionally.
And on his website:
>Also It should be noted that I don’t live in the wild but just practice this as a hobby. I live in a modern house and eat modern food. I just like to see how people in ancient times built and made things. It is a good hobby that keeps you fit and doesn’t cost anything apart from time and effort.

I'm guessing he has a normal job and shoots videos on days off.
>>
love it how fast he keeps upgrading his weapons

XP cost for level up is gonna ramp up once he achieves iron work though
>>
File: primitivetech.jpg (212 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
primitivetech.jpg
212 KB, 1280x720
what country is he in?

The forest confuses me, it's not a rain forest, nor is it a temperate forest.
>>
>>673521
I think he wanted to show something different and perhaps show off a bit with something more complicated.
>>
It just got on to 9gag.
>>
>>673627
Making primitive huts and tools from scratch using only natural materials in the wild.I also have this blog: https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/ FAQ Q.Where is this? A. This is in Far North Queensland Australia. Q.Do you live in the wild? A.I don't live in the wild but just go into the bush to make these projects. Also I camp out here occasionally. Q. How did you learn all this? A. Researching books and internet plus trial and error. I'm not indigenous and have no army training. Q. What about dangerous animals in Australia? A. The only really dangerous ones in my area are snakes. Care must be taken when walking about and lifting things from the ground. Q. For the mud huts what stops the rain washing the mud walls away? A. The roof. Q. Why don't you talk in the videos? A. When I watch how to videos I fast forward past the talking part to see the action part. So I leave it out of my videos in favor of pure demonstration.
>>
>>671820
>silent
>opens book
>empty pages made of handcrafted paper by that guy
>>
>>673658
anon I've almost spat my cake
>>
>>671820
yeah he can be the D.C. Beard of outdoors-related stuff!
>>
>>673662
Stop eating cake you glutton.
>>
File: 0511-0802-2513-0608.png (75 KB, 350x328) Image search: [Google]
0511-0802-2513-0608.png
75 KB, 350x328
>>673679
hey, let him eat cake
>>
On some comments he's written, it seems Discovery has contacted him.

Maybe this dude will end up on TV, hopefully not
>>
>>673700
This, discovery will shit up what he's built.
>>
>>673700
>>673703
they'll end up pairing him with cody and stroud and they'll do commentary while he builds a primitive sqwatch trap
>>
>>673700
Nat Geo pls, not discovery
>>
>>673700
What I hate about TV people contacting YouTubers is that they usually have no regard for the format that the person has been doing, and conclude that their popularity must simply be from their personality. So they do a completely new format by asking their middle aged marketing people what kids find cool these days, and basically pump out their uninspired TV channel brand flavour of bullshit.

I hope he doesn't let them screw over.
>>
>>673700
>I bought this ALMOST MINT handmade adobe tile for only SEVEN poisonous berries!
>what a deal man, I'm jealous
>>
>>673331
>>673357
You literally just google it, "bamboo fire piston". You can make them out of anything remotely strong enough and has a tube or can be bored/carved to make a tube. There are all sorts of tutorials and methods, but they are all pretty much the same. The best use a metal rod/tip as the piston head but you can use anything. Heads made of burnable materials will just need to be replaced over time.
>>
>>673706
That would be pretty cool, they give him a year to just do his thing in his own format.

a regular series would be shit so fast.
>>
>>672692
>>672697
I'm gurage, some family still live in traditional homes made from Ensete, wood, dung and/or stone and while large and beautiful they are huts and they make them from scratch.

They also make pots like he did, twine, baskets, wooden tools such as pronged digging sticks for ensete and hives.

It's not as if they are poor without land to do such things. Why act as though being nearly nude is the only other reason why people watch him?
>>
>>671654
man this guy is awesome!

now I'm thinking of organizing a caveman innawoods trip
>>
>>673627
Australia, and yes that is rain forest.
>>
>>674257
I'm not being rude, i just don't think anyone in Ethiopia is actually stone age. I'm sure they wear normal clothing and probably have phones and stuff.
>>
File: 1451970745935.jpg (117 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1451970745935.jpg
117 KB, 540x540
>>673684
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Or whatever those frenchfags said.
>>
>>674290
He lives in a modern house with modern technology and does subsistence level crafts and skills. He isn't stone age, he does things that don't involve metal on camera.

My extended family lives in a traditional house doing subsistence level crafts and skills without a lot of metal sometimes. Stone skills are necessary if and when axe heads aren't available.

Do people have no understanding of being a rural farmer?
>>
Based op thanks man
>>
>>672656
>you can find videos of it
Where?
You should make videos of your family doing it.
>>
>>672470
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Their music is autistic, I think they believe all to gotta do to make good math/post rock is to drop acid and its fucking terrible.
Would rather listen to Mogwai or té
>>
>>674698
/mu/fag detected
But that's ok because I don't know anything you just said but I'm interested.
>>
>>673700
>>673703
>>673705
>>673706

He refused offers from multiple American, Australian and English producers.
>tfw live in same town and might stumble upon one of his houses one day
>>
>>673700
god that would be awful
>will the shirtless aussie finish his hut before pretty warm australian winter comes
>will he survive another season of summer heat
>>
>>673180
A fish trap vid would be neat.
>>
>>675268
i believe he is not allowed to hunt, as he is a guest on someones land
>>
>>675174
Fucking hate that tv feels the need to create some sort of tension or drama with EVERYTHING

I saw Railroad Alaska on the tv guide and seeing how I like trains and was curious about how it's done way up there. NOPE
It was utter faggotry
>>
>>675283
It's his own property but Australia has pretty strict hunting laws.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x477
>>672110
>>
>>673700
I'd certainly tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>675286
Entertainment programming is balls out fucking terrible. It is best to ditch it and find your own entertainment /out/.
>>
>>672916
holy shit
>>
>mf this whole video
>>
>>674426
It's impossible for some people to understand that there are enormous inequalities in technology distribution in the world. Living in the US or Europe tends to give the impression that globalization really is a uniform phenomenon.

I'm in Brazil, and some of our poorest subsistence farmers on extremely isolated places also live like this. They probably wear rubber sandals and have some access to modern-level clothing and some tools, but electricity is non-existent and everything above it inacessible.
>>
>>674698
Idk man, I like GY!BE, and I also like Mogwai. I might be biased though because I saw GY!BE live and it was an incredible experience. Also if you believe you have a meaningful opinion about music you are not allowed to call anything/anyone autistic because you actually are.
>>
>>674358
>we give up!!
>>
>>671829
>''HEY FELLOW SURVIVALISTBROS! TODAY I'M GONNA BE MAKING SOME CLAY POTS, CHECK OUT MY PATREON BY THE WAY, IT'S DOWN IN THE DESCRIPTION. LATER ON TODAY WE'RE GOING TO LOOK AT SOME BEANS WHICH REMINDS ME OF THE GUY I MET AT THE POST OFFICE, ANYWAY, DON'T FORGET TO LIKE, SUBSCRIBE AND DONATE ON PATREON AND MY KICKSTARTER FOR A NEW STICK, OKAY, BYE SURVIVALISTBROSLOLZ! XD''
>>
>>671890
Which, if you were stranded innawoods or onnaisland would be the key to "survivaling"
>>
>>671890
>building a shelter is not surviving
>you
I agree with
>>683288

That is surviving. Our early ancestors didn't have an apartment to go back to when living in a mud house became too much.
>>
>>683288
Most of what he builds is complete overkill for a survival scenario. It takes a hell of a lot of time and energy to make shelters as comfy as his. In a survival situation that time and energy would be better spent on other needs.
>>
>>683859
Immediate survival sure but if it becomes a Gilligan's Island tier situation you'd want something more substantial.
>>
>>683859

He never said it was about a "survival scenario" though. He does this as a hobby.
>>
>>684445
Yeh not everyone with /out skills is a douchebag prepper.
>>
>>680978
Kek
>>
>>684445
Anons are so used to seeing videos recorded outside being survival in topic that it's now just assumed that if it was made outside it's survival.

This guy is great because he showcases historical techniques without shitting it up with lame dialogue.
>>
>>683859
It's not for a dire situation though.
He's showing how shit was done way back when.
>>
>>684445
>>685645
That was exactly my point.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.