[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of snake is this? Found it near Dallas, tx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What kind of snake is this? Found it near Dallas, tx
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
2/2
>>
File: head-shape.gif (16 KB, 445x291) Image search: [Google]
head-shape.gif
16 KB, 445x291
idunno but it's surely venemous as fuck texasfriend
>>
>>668247
Nope. The large scales go far beyond the eyes.
>>
File: mybonerwhen.gif (2 MB, 235x172) Image search: [Google]
mybonerwhen.gif
2 MB, 235x172
>>668251
alls i'm saying is if it has a head like a penis it spits venom like one
>>
>>668251
if you want to make sure, you gotta get up in it's face and check the eyes. Venomous snakes have slit shaped pupils. Nonvenomous have round pupils.
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>668266
hey anon. anon...

what do nonvenomous snakes and american teachers have in common?
>>
>>668243
I'd guess it's a water snake but I'm an entomologist not a herpetologist and I've never been to Texas so what the fuck do I know.

Head is kind of vipery shaped though and babby rattlesnakes can have undeveloped rattles so you shouldn't listen to me.

>>668277
kek
>>
>>668285
if it is a rattler I'd guess either timber rattlesnake or massasauga. the colors don't match either exactly but many snakes are known to have different color morphs. And it's not totally unheard of for even adult ratttlesnakes to have no rattle. It's head is very viper like. Some rat snakes look kinda like that though, regardless I'd avoid it if I came across it while /out/
>>
Looks like a cottonmouth to me central Texas here
>>
>>668295
That would have been my other guess. Again, the cottonmouth is a snake that shows a wide variety of coloration.
>>
>>668293
>Head is very viper-like
I was going to say this.

Does it have pits on its face? I couldn't tell from the picture. All pit vipers are venomous.
>>
>>668293
>the colors don't match either exactly but many snakes are known to have different color morphs.
Yeah there's more intraspecific variation than interspecific variation in a lot of snakes which can make them a bitch to identify sometimes. Head scales look watersnakey though and they have vaguely viperish heads. I've mistook them for rattlesnakes before until I noticed the lack of a rattle.

Would want to see eyes and look for pit viper pits before I handled it. The pits are pretty distinctive from the right angle.
>>
It looks like an old Checkered Garter. They're rearfanged snakes, venomous, but they have to chew the venom into you. Their venom won't really have any effect on humans unless you're allergic to it.
>>
>>668432
>Checkered Garter poisionous
>Venomous snakes have slit shaped pupils. Nonvenomous have round pupils.
btfo
>>
>>668720
The pupil shape doesn't always tell you if it's venomous or not. Look at cobras or other elapids; they have round pupils.
There is no definitive way to differentiate between venomous and non-venomous snakes, unless you're familiar with the species in the area and know exactly what you're looking at.
I can say without a doubt that it is a garter snake of some kind, and more than likely an older Checkered Garter.
>>
File: 1446128270612.jpg (45 KB, 639x618) Image search: [Google]
1446128270612.jpg
45 KB, 639x618
Hey I'm in Dallas, let's hang /out/ sometime!

I'd guess a cotton mouth...where exactly did you find it?
>>
>>668295
>>668296
cottonmouths are black wtf
>>
File: brown_snake.jpg (31 KB, 324x243) Image search: [Google]
brown_snake.jpg
31 KB, 324x243
>>668243
It's a fucking common brown snake

Everyone in this thread is a moron
>>
>>668252
dude underrated post
>>
>>669268

Thank you for posting the correct answer. As for everyone else in this thread- how can you be on /out/ and not know what a rattlesnake/cottonmouth/copperhead/other venomous snake actually looks like? You're fucked if you get bitten.
>>
>>668767
Even a very dark cottonmouth will have a pattern. They are pretty close kin to rattlers and copperheads. I don't think that little guy is a cottonmouth, either. I'm down with this guy's idea >>669268, but I wouldn't bet on it without seeing the snake in person.

>>671804
We have 4 different species of venomous snakes where I live and go /out/ most frequently.

>cottonmouth: tends to be very dark and fat and aggressive about defending its territory, never see them far from water
>diamondback rattler: yup, them look like diamonds back there
>prairie rattler: most common around here: somebody took a diamondback and rearranged the orientation of his diamonds: this made him angry
>sidewinder: the one that rattles and doesn't look like the other two

I've camped where there are masasauga, copperheads, and coral snakes. I have yet to have a serious encounter with any snake other than a water moccasin because I recognize that I have invaded their home and treat them with respect. I did have to kill a cottonmouth once. He decided to chase me back up a trail around a lake and there were kids coming behind me that I didn't know well enough to trust not to die of stupidity.
>>
>>669268
>Everyone in this thread is a moron
Fuck you, smart guy. Snakes can have notoriously variable phenotype, and if you don't have local knowledge the pictures are too shitty to key it out properly.
>>
>>668767
>snake genius
Just stay /in/ plox
>>
>>668243
Clearly it is a north sothern cuddle snek. You shouth snuggle it just to be sure.
>>
>>671854
Yup. Cottonmouths are some ornery critters
>>
>>672600
Water moccasins are territorial as hell and you know it's time to leave when they start opening their mouths.

>the cottonmouth is the mother-in-law of the snake world
>>
It's a gray Cottonmouth. Yes they come gray as well. They also tend to hang out near water. They will however travel over land a fair distance between water sources.
>>
>>673312
>gray Cottonmouth
says you, head scales look wrong, can't see diagnostic features in photo.
>>
It's venomous.
>don't fuck with it
Maybe I'm wrong and it not a part of the viper family, in which case
>still, don't fuck with it.
>>
I'll just leave this here in the snek thred
>>
>>668244
There are no venomous american snakes that are dangerous to humans and are without rattles, except for the florida and california coral snake.

This is some sort of grey phase corn snake
>>
>>673312
>cottonmouth
dude that looks nothing like a cotton mouth. its some kind of rat or corn snake.
>>
Yall are some no snake knowing niggers. Except a few.
Audobon field guides. Get em. Quit being ignorant.
>>
>>668247
>>668266
>>668285
>>668293
>>668295
>>668296
>>673312
>>676850
>>676851
No no no no no no no no no.

>>669268
Yes. Storeria dekayi or Dekay's brown snake. They range all across North and Central America, and vary widely in appearance.
>>
This is a common brown/midland brown snake.

You're all incredible fags.
>>
>>676850
People have died from both copperhead and water moccasin bites, and neither have rattles. Please don't contribute potentially dangerous opinions unless you actually have knowledge to what you are referring.
>>
/out/ is retarded. Thread after thread it's proven. Poor arrogant bastards. None of you even tried to use Google you just jump straight to being idiots. No wonder you all love this board the most, it's your own special retard den.
>>
>>677622
Sadly, you speak the truth...
>>
>>668243
>>668244
It's a brown recluse.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.