[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BackPack general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 62
File: pile-of-backpacks-in-trailer.png (149 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
pile-of-backpacks-in-trailer.png
149 KB, 350x200
Every once in a while a thread on backpack advice comes by, figured it would be nice to bundle them like we do with knaife general. Post any advice requests/general discussion etc.
>>
File: camelbak-phanton-20lr.jpg (16 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
camelbak-phanton-20lr.jpg
16 KB, 520x390
I am looking for a new backpack, one that will be between my day to day bag and my 55l Nomad Cobra. Currently considering the Camelbak Phantom 20l, can get it for 80 eurodollars. Is it any good? Is the price any good?
>>
How big should a weekend park be? What brands are recommended?
>>
>>665665
Brands depend on price point.

If you only backpack infrequently, or are on a tight budget, I recommend Teton Sports, or High Sierra. I've used both brands and I'm pretty impressed.

As for size, depends on how big your gear is. I use a 65L pack for weekend trips, but only because its what I have. I use it for winter camping so I need a lot of space, in the summer I just leave it mostly empty and cinch down the compression straps. I also hate anything strapped to the outside of the pack.

For a normal, summer, weekend pack, 45L is not bad. You can get a Teton Sports 45L bag for like $65 on amazon. (Teton lists there packs in ci so a 45L pack is like 2800ci)
>>
>>665665
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpack.html
>>
How do I into compressed sleeping bags? How do I use them?

thnks :)
>>
File: 333_928_xl.jpg (28 KB, 450x676) Image search: [Google]
333_928_xl.jpg
28 KB, 450x676
Just got an Osprey Xenith 105.

Best pack I have ever owned.
>>
>>665684
Lets say I will pay 200+ dollars, but only for good shit, that will last many years and seasons to come. What would be good then?
>>
>>665691
Down or Synthetics?
>>
>>665699
i have a down bag and a synthetic bag, would you mind going into both? are the methods different?
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 450x622) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 450x622
I'm about to click buy on Osprey 65 AG. It'll be my first serious backpack, I've only done hikes so far but I want to get into overnight camping or longer.

Good use of $ or waste of my time and money?
>>
>>665728
I have the 50L. Love it. Super comfy, never had any sort of problems with it.
>>
>>665710
For the down, never ever store it in the compression sack, it will ruin your bag over time. Just use a compression bag when you hike and take the bag out some time before you go to sleep. This gives the loft time to recover and you'll sleep warmer.
At home, store the bag with a clothes hanger or in a storage net. It'll live a lot longer.

Synthetics doesn't compress that good, but it also does not degenerate, you can store it compressed if needed.
Same for the loft before you sleep as above.
>>
>>665728
>click buy
65 means serious weight, if it doesn't fit you right, you'll buy twice.
>goinnashopandtryfirst
>>
>>665728

yeah, that looks cool, but do they only make one size?

it looks geared towards being a manlet

there is a teaton which only costs 60$, but comes with an adjustable length which is the only model of backpack im aware of that does this.
a perfect fitting pack is worth more than its weight in gold, and that 60$ pack literally BTFO's manlet gear
>>
>>665710
Compressing a down bag:
Unroll your bag and stick the foot end in to the stuff sack first (this allows trapped air to escape as you are stuffing). Start pressing the bag in, working around the sack in a circle. Keep going until your bag is completely inside the stuff sack. Do not store your bag compressed for long term, it will crush the loft.

Compressing a synthetic bag:
Start similarly to a down bag, foot end in first. Keep trying to compress your synthetic bag in to your stuff sack. Get frustrated, give up and use stuff sack to carry extra socks.
>>
>>665756
No, the Atmosphere comes in S, M and L torso lengths and is adjustable within those size ranges as well.
>>
>>665756
>comes with an adjustable length which is the only model of backpack im aware of that does this.

Then you are the least aware person n /out/ because literally almost every backpack company makes packs with adjustable torso lengths. Gregory, Osprey, REI, Kelty, Deuter, etc etc etc.
>>
>>665769

ok
but what makes the osprey special over the 60$ teaton?
weight?
>>
>>665774
Osprey has an iron-clad, no questions asked lifetime warranty. If your pack ever breaks or fails, send it to them and the will fix it free of charge (minus shipping costs).
>>
>>665692
i literally just got the xenith 75!
Good stuff.
>>
>>665783

ive bought 40$ ebay packs from china and taken them to more extreme places than you will ever be...

the only reason i dont use them anymore is because they get dirty.

packpacks are not complicated, and nylon is not expensive

wanna run that by me again?
why exactly is the osprey better than the teaton?
>>
>>665808
Amazing back support? great build materials? nicely organized compartments and storage options, also when you get one you KNOW you it's reliable and wont possibly break down on you like china poop. Im not saying all china stuff breaks of course you can get good ones for cheap but when u buy brands u have that sort of reliability.
>>
>>665808
At least include some examples for your claims to make it more believable.
You take them to these "extreme places" and stop using them because they get dirty? And nylon come in all sorts of forms.
>>
What could go wrong if i buy shitty cheap backpack for 2 week trip?
>>
>>665871
I don't think anything would happen unless it's total junk. But it's likely that they use cheap material that can break faster than good quality stuff. Stitching, zippers, buckles and straps etc.
>>
So I am putting together myself a decent kit and I really aim to have it not really lightweight but having only essentials so I can have things that I prefer to bring for either aesthetics or ease of use.
I would love some suggestions! I feel that it is complete, I just don't know which direction to take the kit further. I live in a sub tropical environment with lots of wetlands to resource. Thanks in advance.
Bushcraft Gear List
10lbs. 13.7oz Base Weight

Ruck-
1 lb. 1.5 oz Rolly Polly Extreme

Shelter-
1 lb. 6.8 oz Stansport Tarp
1 lb. 8.4 oz Grandtrunk Ultralight Hammock/ Atlas Suspension Straps
6.5 oz. Shemagh
9.1 oz Merino Long Sleeve Shirt
3.0 oz Woolsmart Socks x2

Tools-
1 lb. 2.7 oz EDC Pouch (Small Tools/Medkit)
8.9 oz Bk16
6.7 oz Bahco Laplander
2.5 oz Stanley Headlamp
4 oz Maglite LED XL 50
3.6 oz TP
7.6 oz 100ft Paracord

Containers-
12.1 oz Guyot SS 32 oz/ Blue Desert Hydration System (Empty)
13.7 oz Naglene SS 38 oz (Empty)
7.7 oz Stanley SS Cooker
1.3 oz Shammy/ Brillo Pad

On Person-
Felt Wide-brimmed Hat
Marino Long-sleeved Shirt
Dickies Short Sleeved Shirt ( Synthetic Auto-Wicking)
Dickies Work Pants ( Synthetic Auto-Wicking)
Woolsmart Merino Socks
Leather Boots
Merino Gloves
Bandana
Watch
Firesteel
Zippo

Adding-
Bankline
SOL Escape Bivi
Fishing Kit

EDC Pouch-
Riteinrain Pad
Sharpie
Moleskins
Bandaids
Swisstool
Eatntool
Toolbrush
Toolpaste
Nail Clipper
Whistle
Boker Oilpen
Mini Bic
Compass
Steel Wool
Sandpaper
Tigerbalm
Prid (Blister Balm)
Badger Balm (Hydrating Oils)
Burt's Bees
B.C. Powder (Pain & Caffeine)
Topo Map

The one thing I feel is unjustified in most people eyes is my Zippo. Now I will just explain my preference for it. I like it! Simply. That's good enough for me. It creates the flame of a good candle without the mess, holds emergency tinder inside, Is a great spark based fire starter, and when I'm bored it keeps me entertained with tricks to pass time.

I'm looking for a new ruck btw.
>>
>>665808
Why are you trying to start a fight? What's the point?
>>
>>665821

amazing back support?
but how?

can you be more specific?

are you sure you are not full of shit?
>>
No idea about backpacks, just starting to think about a semi-bugout kit for the car to get me back to my loved ones in case SHTF. Any good ones that are unassuming and relatively small?
>>
File: kelty_redcloud90.jpg (989 KB, 2502x2502) Image search: [Google]
kelty_redcloud90.jpg
989 KB, 2502x2502
I'm thinking about getting a Kelty Red Cloud 90. I found it for sale at $99 right now on woot.

I have a 35L pack right now that I use for overnights, but I'd like to move into some multi-day trips. I was looking at the Teton Sports Explorer 4000, but I figured for the extra $30 I might as well get the Kelty and have the extra space if I ever need it.

Any anons have one or have any thoughts about it?

picrelated
>>
I got myself a 100L+20L British PLCE. Pretty cheap, sturdy, waterproof and moderately comfy. Bought it for 50€.
>>
File: How to Choose a Pack.png (59 KB, 762x726) Image search: [Google]
How to Choose a Pack.png
59 KB, 762x726
Made this for you guys about a year ago, not sure if I ended up posting, so here ya go.
>>
File: 42518-back3.jpg (593 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
42518-back3.jpg
593 KB, 700x393
Can anyone recommend a daypack that has good airflow to the back or has a mesh suspension like pic related?

I get annoyed at having my back constantly wet from sweat and having to air it out.

I'd buy it from the website I saw it on but it's in Japanese.
>>
>>668555
Deuter makes some good daypacks with trampoline backs.
>>
>>668555
Do you want super light or more packing and carrying features?

Also, don't overlook what you are wearing as a base layer. Something like capilene or other fast drying material can really help keep your back dry with a pack on.
>>
>>668555
Good ole Berghaus
>>
>>667812
I like this. We should expand on it to make one good " /out/ pack guide" info graphic. how to load, good examples of popular packs, internal vs. external, how to fit and adjust.

might work on this if you guys think it's a worthwhile idea.
>>
>>666966
Where have you put your sleeping bag in that and how big is it? cheers
>>
Has anyone tried MEC's 85L Serratus?

Im upgrading from a shitty 65L
>>
I don't know why this board seems obsessed with "is this backpack good". I have never had a bad backpack in my life and I have owned and used everything from school bags to military surplus to external frame to internal frame. Frameless square cavnas bags I don't like because they are uncomfortable but thats just my opinion, not like the bag failed in any way.
>>
>>665728
I lurk /out once every few months. I just came on to ask about this same pack..... Great timing. I was really curious about the durability. I know Ospry is a trustworthy brand, but i'm buying this for a thruhike in the summer so I want to be sure that this nylon mesh "anti-gravity" support system isn't going to leave me stranded with a broken pack.
>>
>>668708
Thanks. I'll check it out.

>>668723
It doesn't need to be very light. I want to keep the price as close to $100 and 25 liters as possible.

>>668725
I'll have a look at those too.
>>
>>668879

Everything will work fine.

I think it's more about bang for buck and comfort over longer distances.
>>
>>668939
I have a little Arcteryx Cierzo 25 that I got pretty recently. Nothing specifically for what you are talking about, but it is light but durable, compressible, and very comfortable. I wear it on my bike and I've never noticed any sweat or moisture on my back and I'm a fairly sweaty guy.

25 L and 100 dollars msrp. Might at least be something to look at.
>>
>>668939
Take a look at the REI Traverse 28. I think it goes for about $120.
>>
>>669007
I'll try it on if I can find it. Thanks.

>>669008
I'd buy the shit out of this if the CAD wasn't eating so much dick right now.

Right now, I'm thinking of spending extra on this

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-778/boreas-muir-woods-30-daypack-unisex/?No=40&h=10+50042+50587+50804&f=10+50804
>>
>>665689
I see you are expecting anons to do thier own research by reading experts and not be spoon fed questionable opinions by random strangers?

How quaint.
>>
>>665696
Osprey
>>
>>665985
Standard response will be the 5.11 rush.
You can get the yukon outtfitters alpha pack for about 1/3 the price. The yukon alpha is like a knockoff of the 5.11 rush but with surprisingly good quality
Pic related is yukon alpha
>>
>>668810
Sleeping bag's in the bottom. It fits basically all of my stuff into the bag. The pack came with two 10L side pouches, which are attached via zippers to the sides. They make the bag pretty big so I packed my tent into them and put into the backpack. The sleeping bag's roughly 40cm x 20cm x 20cm, fits nicely into the bag.
>>
>>665691
buy a valved drybag that's about 2.5x the volume of the compression sack your sleeping bag was delivered in.

dump the sleeping bag in, roll the top a few times and clip it, open the valve and sit down on it until it's pancake-flat. seal the valve, job done.
>>
File: klelby.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
klelby.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>666802
Thats a pretty good sale
I have a Kelty Catalyst 80 that I paid $190 for and I really love it. Kinda rushed into buying it but its served me well, I feel like i got my moneys worth.
>>
File: big pack.jpg (103 KB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
big pack.jpg
103 KB, 1050x1050
Any experience with theses for 3-4 day camping trip/BOB?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171898998792?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
>>
>>673271
Oh god that looks retarded.
>>
File: Bergans_Helium_55L_2016.jpg (47 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Bergans_Helium_55L_2016.jpg
47 KB, 1000x667
>>665637
Sexy pack incoming

Have a shitload of packs, from 10L to 125L. Favorite go-to bag is the 2012 Bergans Helium, which now is redesigned for 2016, pic related

55L Volume, under 1000g, adjustable carry system and good for 17kg weight. Hard to beat.
>>
>>673271
Don't buy that pos dude, stitching sucks and if it doesn't fail, the bucles will. You'll be better of going to REI or a surplus store, if you want a tac bag, get an actual military one, not a shitty branded rip off, do research
>>
>>673370
I've been keeping that pack in mind for the next time I buy a pack. How sturdy/comfortable is the frame? I've never used a pack with that style of aluminum sheet.
>>
>>673271
>3/4 days camping trip
>Huge heavy portage backpack covered in mole
My advice is to take another bag.
>>
>>673271
>>673360
>>673389
>>673409
I don't get the hate. Personally I think this bag looks a fuckton nicer than the keltys, ie every other bag these days (& I own a kelty)
I bet for 95% of people on /out this bag is fine for $37
I love the fact there are lots of separate pockets. That is the feature I miss most on 'new-age' bags.
>>
File: 2015-07-05 01.39.41.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-05 01.39.41.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
No bully plz
>>
>>665911
>1 lb. 6.8 oz Stansport Tarp
>1 lb. 8.4 oz Grandtrunk Ultralight Hammock/ Atlas Suspension Straps
For the same weight, you have a 2P tent.
>>
File: Helium_reesult.png (2 MB, 1564x1284) Image search: [Google]
Helium_reesult.png
2 MB, 1564x1284
>>673401
I own the "old" model, and the new one isn't even in stores yet -- so I can't comment on that one.

The old one (the one I have) is great -- but I mostly just take the aluminum "rod" out of it, anyway: just stuff in a foam pad or similar for back support and load transfer..

Mine (pic related) original (1180g)/mauled(875g)
>>
What backpacks have the best waterproofing?
Will be backpacking in the rainforest for a month and dont want all my stuff wet
>>
>>674152
Any backpack with stitching will leak. Keep all your shit in a garbage bag and wear a rain poncho over your backpack.
>>
File: DSC_5939.jpg (2 MB, 3044x1900) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5939.jpg
2 MB, 3044x1900
gimme some advice on this guys
>>
I hear Osprey is going to release more packs with AG this year.
>>
>>674164
>garbage bag
Nope.
>>
File: surv.jpg (5 MB, 6500x3898) Image search: [Google]
surv.jpg
5 MB, 6500x3898
thoughts?
Poncho: Rainponchos.com 70 Denier 1.9 Nylon Ripstop Camouflage
*Shemagh(http://workinggoats.com/?id=549)
*Dust goggles: Maxim Hybrid Faru 3M
TShirt(x2): Icebreaker Basics Lightweight Crewe Short Sleeve (Merino Wool)
*Gloves: Stonebreaker The Rancher
Jacket: The North Face All Terrain II Triclimate combined with Berghaus Men's Verdon II Hoody
*Pants : Duluth Trading Co. Men's Fire Hose Work Pants
Belt: 1.5" Trainer Belt
*Socks(x2): Smartwool Adult Hike Light Crew Socks
*Boxer Shorts(x2): Under Armour Men's 'The Original' 3 Inch Boxer Shorts
*Backpack: The North Face Recon Backpack
Sleeping Bag: Sea to Summit Traveller combined with Gear Aid Ellipse Toggle Cord Locks
Shelter: Sea to Summit Escapist Tarp Shelter
Umbrella: REI Travel Umbrella
Shoes: Merrell Pulsate Mid Waterproof, Men’s Hiking Boots
*Cooking: Lodge 20.32 cm / 8 inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Round Skillet / Frying Pan
Fire: www.kodiakfirestarters.com/our-products/
*Spork(x2): Light-my-Fire Titanium Spork
*Water filtration: Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
Water Bottle: 1 Liter stainless Steel canteen
*Plate: Stainless steel 22 cm Laken plate
Compass: Phosphorescent Lensatic Compass 27
Chopping, prying: Outland Equipment Multi-Mission Axe 1501
SAS Tactical Bow
*Knife: Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty (Carbon Steel)
*Sewing kit: Mudder Sewing Kit for Travel, Home and Emergency
*Head lamp: Petzl Tikka Plus 160 lumens
*AAA Batteries: Panasonic Eneloop 750 mah 2100 charges
Sharpening: Lansky Sharpeners PS-MED01 Blade Medic - Black
Multitool: Leatherman wave
Generator: Powertraveller Crankmonkey
*Main Battery: EasyAcc 9000mAh Power Bank Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof
*AA-AAA charger: PortaPow USB intelligent Charger
Binoculars: Bushnell 10x42mm H2O
>>
>>675345
* means I own the item already. My question is. Is there any way I can modify my North Face Recon to add straps or something to attatch my bow to it? Also I'm amazed how everyone seems to need a 50 liter backpack... I'm fine with 31 liters and a pouch
>>
File: Taiga traverse.jpg (18 KB, 222x275) Image search: [Google]
Taiga traverse.jpg
18 KB, 222x275
I have pic related on the way. So excited for my first serious pack. The company makes everything here in Canada and all their gear is really high quality. Everyone who buys stuff from them claims it lasts forever. Oddly enough their stuff isn't very well known.
>>
File: img.jpg (421 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
421 KB, 1024x1024
I going to hike a volcano this friday and I bought
a cheap 45L pack
The volcano is around 3972 mts (13031.5 ft.), the hike is about 5 hours at a slow pace.
Do you guys think it's too shitty?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (168 KB, 936x1600) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
168 KB, 936x1600
>>675369
Here`s the back part
>>
>>675369
Why would you need 45 L ? I'm not criticising i'm just wondering. Is it really cold where you are?
>>
>>675374
Nope, but it was the easiest way to cop a bag where I am
>>
What does /out/ think of S.O.C bags?
>>
>>668942
Absolutely this
>>
What is a good pack that i can have as a general hiking/camping/hunting pack? How large should I go? I don't want to spend too much but if I need to to get something worth a damn I will.
>>
>>665637
>tfw no reasonably priced back-panel loading bags just under Ryanair's carry-on requirements with adequate padded hip belts with integrated pockets and a built-in rain cover
Why live?
>>
>>675610
Bump
>>
>>665753
You have it exactly the wrong way around.
>>
>>674303

Ditch one swiss army knife and the large fixed blade.

You don't need 3 fucking knives and don't need the fixed blade when you have a hatchet.

If you just like carrying 3 knives for fun then have at 'er.
>>
>>675610
what do you plan to do specifically? those 3 activities are very different. hunting can mean carrying animal quarters out of the woods for example.
>>
>>675610

I've been agonizing over this for about a week.

For me, it has to be a good balance of durability, and versatility at about 30l with a breathable back yet not try-hard looking and covered in molle or realtree for when I have to use it in public.

I don't really need a meat freighter because I'm only hunting coastal blacktail which are relatively small.

I ultimately decided on a jansport equinox 34.

We'll see how it goes.
>>
File: OR_SS.jpg (343 KB, 1342x2019) Image search: [Google]
OR_SS.jpg
343 KB, 1342x2019
>>673370
>>673544
Me again
>>674152
My new pack, arrived today:

>Outdoor Research Summit Sack
>27 L
>318 g

Pack pictured has food for two days, tent, stakes, ground cloth, mosquito net, sleeping bag, liner, two sleeping pads (one thin long and one inflatable short) extra clothes (down puffy, socks, gloves and beanie), 0,9L pot, caldera cone, knoife, spoon, lighter, ditty bag (personal care, hygiene, first aid kit and rep kit), headlamp, tent lamp and kindle.

I did NOT order the tacticool coloring ("coyote" color, I ordered "brown",, but this is what I received).

Anyway: I love it!
>>
>>665637
I'm looking for a new bag .

I'd need something that us compartmentized enough to handle school supplies, but also sturdy/large enough to manage gear for an overnight summer campout (max shelter I'd take is a tarp/blanket)

My price range is up to $200, but cheaper is much much preffered.

Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>665637
Backpack general is a great idea, OP. Now if we could only get a general for 'I choose to become homeless and live off the lush fat of the land, please red pill me on what the outdoors look like' threads.
>>
>>677626
The answer is always Kelty Redwing

>comes in 32, 44 and 50 liter
>is always on sale somewhere
>>
File: 20160131_015017.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20160131_015017.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
What does one even do with all these fucking straps? Shotgun because America.
>>
>>677646
Attach things to the outside of course. Like a sleeping pad, tent poles, etc.
>>
File: OR_SS_weight.jpg (247 KB, 1595x897) Image search: [Google]
OR_SS_weight.jpg
247 KB, 1595x897
>>677360
Total weight: 3716g, that is 8 pounds and 3 ounces for amerifags
>>
>>677646
Snowshoes, ice axe, snow rails, avalanche probe, shovel, hatchet, dirty camp shoes, wet tent fly, gun, fishing rod, tent poles, Sleeping pad, (if you don't have an inflatable), sar panel charger, etc etc.
>>
>>677646
The ones on the sides and lid are primarily compression straps, they squeeze the load together and keep the weight close to the frame.
>>
File: Savotta Jääkäri.jpg (100 KB, 550x744) Image search: [Google]
Savotta Jääkäri.jpg
100 KB, 550x744
Would I be a faggot if I bought this?
>>
>>666802
I have this pack. You can only get it in black from one vendor online, (backcountry edge) and i paid 150 or 160 when i got it.

I think this is a great deal that you have found. I have had no problems at all with my pack. There aren't a whole lot of features on the thing, but it surely gets the job done. All of the straps are very sturdy as well as the fasteners. I love how I can put my fishing pole underneath the side pockets and secure it right into the cup holder pouch. This would probably also work for a 22 but i've never tried it.

The only issue with such a big size, I would say, is that you tend to bring more shit with you. So try to avoid that.

Idk what else to say though, it's a pretty basic backpack, hard to review something so straight forward... I'll lurk the thread if you have any specific questions
>>
>>677979
looks cool, seems nice, also MOLLE
buy it
>>
>>677979
Protip: spend less time worrying about what other people think. If you like the bag and it suits your needs, buy it.
>>
File: backpack-loading.gif (12 KB, 297x278) Image search: [Google]
backpack-loading.gif
12 KB, 297x278
Posting a few helpful images on loading and fitting a pack.
>>
File: 698008159_orig.png (62 KB, 471x253) Image search: [Google]
698008159_orig.png
62 KB, 471x253
>>678031
Biggest problem I noticed as a packfitter is guys wearing their hipbelts too low. Gotta make sure that belt wraps around your illiac crest so your hips can take the weight.
>>
File: TraiLogicCollectionGraphic1.jpg (3 MB, 3600x3300) Image search: [Google]
TraiLogicCollectionGraphic1.jpg
3 MB, 3600x3300
>>677987
I think that sums up Kelty packs in general. Simple, functional, durable.

That's why the trailogic system confused me so much. It's such a weird, complicated un-Kelty design.

Plus, under all the fancy pockets it's just a Redwing 50.
>>
File: 1454286813507.jpg (250 KB, 809x1683) Image search: [Google]
1454286813507.jpg
250 KB, 809x1683
>>678161
lmao wtf is going on in this picture

it looks like a transformer

I think this is just kelty's attempt at getting you to purchase all of their products at once, which might be a decent salesmanship idea... idk, i'm not much of a bidnessman.

It would be cool if you were just getting into /out/ stuff and you could buy everything in pic relatedin a single package i guess

it just seems like they're telling you what to buy and where to put it. and this is the exact opposite of what being /out/ is all about

/trainofthought
>>
>>678167
I had a hard time moving them, most people didn't like the idea of having to buy all the matching gear and/or they already had gear that wouldn't fit in it.

Another problem is that you could make that same set up with a standard Redwing 50 and standard Kelty gesr for like 2/3 the price. So they were sort of undercutting themselves.

They only other pack I can think of that flopped so hard was the Granite Gear nimbus core, the one that was designed to wrap around a bear canister.
>>
File: core6.jpg (198 KB, 1049x1600) Image search: [Google]
core6.jpg
198 KB, 1049x1600
>>678169
This weird-ass thing.
>>
File: 1446706397642.png (1 MB, 665x1182) Image search: [Google]
1446706397642.png
1 MB, 665x1182
>>673494
FUCK YEAH METAL GEAR !
>>
>>666802
I've got the 110 version. It's a very good pack. Super fucking durable too.
>>
>>673494
bro-tier
10/10 would wear ashes into battle
>>
>>670031
thanks man looks great, a little similar to my bergaus centurio
>>
>>677979
sexy bag
also expensive
>>
>>678171
I agree, that is most queer.
>>
>>678034
What about fat people with big guts?

What's the correct way to wear it then? Just have the belt cut into the fatty bits?
>>
>>682195
Some packs have interchangeable belts, so you can put like an XL belt on a medium pack. Or you can get belt extenders.

Or you could do some sit ups, fatso.
>>
>>665637
So, am I correct in thinking that even with a nice suspension, a 1606 frame, and lifter panels an Alice Large is just a novelty because it's 7lb?

Or is the 2-3 lbs over an equivalent size bag acceptable for the external organization and easy super secure lash on?
>>
>>682227
Well I notice that most of the eberlestocks and mystery ranch tactical bags are even fucking heavier than 7 lbs.

But they also aren't made for backpacking, I think mystery ranch's 3 day camping bag is more like 4-5 lbs.
>>
>>682220
Sit ups don't make you skinny tard.

Metabolism enhancement or calorie reduction does.

For example, I am currently losing my chubb bit by bit by swimming 3000yd every weekday at 6AM.
>>
>>682227
I really want to have someone make me an alice large out of X-Pac fabric instead of the fairly heavy nylon canvas they are made out of.

I bet you could bring the weight of the bag itself down from 3.3lbs to like 1.8-2 lbs
>>
How do you feel about the bags by Direct Action? I know they are covered in that laser MOLLE but I've actually heard decent things about the bags.
>>
>>682229
It's obviously just a phrase.

Get over yourself, bud
>>
>>673271
Looks like the inbred child of a brit field pack and the MOLLE II ruck

That is, it looks like shit and probably doesn't work well. If you want a durable bag that holds a lot of shit for cheap, get ALICE. If you don't like the strapping that comes with it, learn how to modify it into a 'hellcat'.
>>
File: um21.jpg (122 KB, 330x350) Image search: [Google]
um21.jpg
122 KB, 330x350
Thinking about getting a um21, anyone have experience with one? Also right now I use a my rucksack that has a rigid frame. What are the pro's and con's of rigid vs non-rigid?
>>
>>684659
slovak?
>>
>>682195
Cinch the hipbelt around your forehead.
>>
>>665692
Do you actually put a minimum of 50 lbs in like the guide on the site? Seems excessive.
>>
>>684659
By rigid do you mean as opposed to foam, or like internal vs external?

The advantage of an external frame is airflow and depending on the design usually a more erect posture.

The advantage of an internal frame is a closer more comfortable fit and usually less weight.

A curved plastic external frame, only found on military packs, is a hybrid between the two, they offer a very good fit with airflow and weight between internal and external frame packs.

I love my 1606ac alice large, with the old strait frame it was just not comfortable, but with the curved plastic frame it's comfy as fuck and really delivers on the original ALICE promise of a pack that doesn't limit your mobility.

It still lacks lift of course, for the same reason it offers enhanced mobility, because it is short and squat, and it's still 7 pounds because the Alice large is a 3+ pound indestructable bag.

Pic related.
>>
>>673271
It looks like it is very heavy and doesn't have much rigidity.

I would go with the tried and true ALICE if you really want something under 50 dollars.

Or you know, spend more money and get something actually good.
>>
>>677714
Wait... is that the weight of the bag or the bag and it's contents?

Seems too high to be the bag, too low to be the contents.
>>
>>683864
bumping question; anybody have experience?
>>
>>665911
>shemagh
Such meme, buff/reconwrap/etc tube bandannas are so much better/lighter.
>>
>>684831
Note:

A MOLLE 2 full ruck with 1609 frame is heavier than an Alice Large, and an alice large with a 1606 frame and really nice padded straps is about the same as a regular alice large, its like a third pound lighter frame but a third pound heavier straps.

It is a myth that military packs have been getting lighter since ALICE, that isn't why alice is outdated, it's outdated because the rigid frame and ultralight straps are not comfy.

Though, if you made an alice out of a combination of 2oz ripstop and 1000Denier cordura it would be much much lighter, I wish someone would do that.
>>
File: kathmandu-70-10-backpack.jpg (138 KB, 466x508) Image search: [Google]
kathmandu-70-10-backpack.jpg
138 KB, 466x508
I bought this for $35 off craigslist in Portland. I've been through many backpacks on the road but this one is probably the best for what I spent and what it is. Would recommend the design in any sturdy brand.

Anyone looking for a good pack should search Craigslist and hold out for a good buy.
>>
>>684659
Estonia?
>>
>>684837
Bag including all content, also including tenkara fishing kit.

Could actually have made it lighter if dumping the Duomid for a flat tarp..
>>
File: pr_01_1187781.jpg (63 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
pr_01_1187781.jpg
63 KB, 667x1000
What is purpose of plus backpacks (i mean backpacks like 60+10 or 70+15 etc), im really noob at this and want to buy a backpack for a start, so plus ones are better or not?

Also im thinkin to buy Pinguin Explorer 75, pic and video related. Please help me on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcM6Ak4OWM
>>
File: 681097_mercury55_coal_web.jpg (17 KB, 472x425) Image search: [Google]
681097_mercury55_coal_web.jpg
17 KB, 472x425
hey guys i'm new here. is the black diamond mercury a decent pack?
>>
File: 1439662331481.gif (428 KB, 250x176) Image search: [Google]
1439662331481.gif
428 KB, 250x176
>>673494
how is that supposed to hold your axe in?
>>
What you guys think about easy camp backpacks?
>>
>>684847
I'm a smartwool zealot
Have a full underlayer system with neck gaiter

I fucking love my cotton shemagh thingy

I'm not going to use my 30$ Marino neck gaiter to grab a hot pan from the fire

Wool sux in the summer

I've used it as a bathing towel in an emergency

All for 10$

Need I go on?
>>
>>668936
What hike? Osprey will ship out a new pack no questions asked if you can make it to a nearby town.
>>
File: Helm.jpg (18 KB, 353x440) Image search: [Google]
Helm.jpg
18 KB, 353x440
>>665637
I'm looking for a new daypack in about the 15-30L range. Trying to stay at about $50, any recommendations?
Currently looking at the Marmot Helm or Ultra Kompressor 22. Anyone have experience with them?
>>
Anybody know of somewhere one could get a hipbelt sewn on to a backpack? I've got and awesome dakine I use for short 3-4 day hikes but need waist support?
>>
>>684847
I'm talking about the polyester ones like spec ops brand recon wrap.
>>
File: 2013-06-06103430_zpsbedf159b.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-06103430_zpsbedf159b.jpg
198 KB, 1024x768
Anyone know the make and model or any information of the bag in this picture?
>>
File: 1165.jpg (895 KB, 1548x1772) Image search: [Google]
1165.jpg
895 KB, 1548x1772
I have multiple bags but this is my favorite one for when i go hiking or fishing over the day, really comfy and it has a chair
>>
>>687457
How is that pack just floating there?
>>
File: 91vVYNXlOwL._SL1500_.jpg (314 KB, 935x1500) Image search: [Google]
91vVYNXlOwL._SL1500_.jpg
314 KB, 935x1500
>>677635
>The answer is always Kelty Redwing

Is this the consensus? Looking at getting the 50L for about $100

Anything else worth considering?

I keep leaning toward mole tactical shit because I'm a dumbcunt. Help me
>>
>>674303
I feel like a multi-tool would be better than the 2 swiss army knives.
>>
>>687302
Polyester? Never seen one that wasn't 100% cotton.
>>
>>687830
Protip: You don't actually need MOLLE all over your pack.
>>
>>685674
Plus just means you can expand/overstuff it if you need to.
>>
>>677635
Why does the 32 exceed carry-on size? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What you guys thing about Decatlon/quechua backpacks? I mean cheap forclaz series, im poor euro fag, so my question is, if these are absoluty awful walmart tier or decent for price? Should i work more and buy a decent one or quechua is ok?
>>
>>687919
Carry on is a meme anyway... What about your blade?
>>
>>687873
That sounds limiting. You sound like the 'man', holding me back. You can't control me and my pack.
>>
>>666802
I own a red cloud 90. It's been great. I would just make sure you keep the sleeping pad on the bottom or you will get wear on the bottom. If I recall it's only rated for like 45 lbs, which I've carried a lot, and I've pushed it to 60lb which I wouldn't reccomend. I've had zero problems and I have no issues with it.

>45 lbs
Yea ultralight fags you read that right.
>>
File: 20160214_091843.jpg (5 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160214_091843.jpg
5 MB, 3984x2988
>>688224
>>
File: download.jpg (261 KB, 1004x1623) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
261 KB, 1004x1623
Oh shit, I just made another general backpacking thread. My apologies mate.

I'm looking at getting http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field---stream-mountain-scout-65l-internal-frame-pack/15fnsafsmntnsct65ctp

It's 65L, had plenty of pockets, and it pretty comfortable. The only issue is that I can't really find any reviews of the backpack, much less field and stream backpacks in general. I tried it on in-store, and it felt nice. Thoughts on buying a backpack that isn't one of the major brands?
>>
>>688224
>45 lbs
>Yea ultralight fags you read that right.
How much weight is allowed to be an ultra-lighter?
>>
>>688243
I think people aim for under 15-20lbs without food and water.
>>
>>678034
Thanks for this. Wondered why my kelty bag sat weird.... And its because I'm an idiot who used the hip belt wrong

I mean, i still got it comfortable. Just probably could have been a lot moreso
>>
So I just got a pack for school and everyday. I'll probably take it hiking and traveling once in a while. So my concern is without a computer, there's nothing to keep it in anyway supportive. Are there any companies that make semi-rigid sheets/sitting pads that will fit in the laptop sleeve.
>>
>>688246
I'm fucked then, just camera gear alone is like 20+ when I have everything I'd like.
If I minimize that I can probably get down to 12-15#

mfw I'll never be an UL'r (imagine Homer DOH! image)
>>
>>688316
Get a kneeling pad. Think they are in the gardening section of big box stores.
>>
Anybody know anything about the packs by Fox Outdoors? I stumbled across https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ today while looking for MILSURP CFP-90 packs. I determined sometime after that I'd rather not get myself a CFP-90 ( after learning why the bag was so short-lived with the U.S. armed forces ) but thought the website still had some interesting bags. I don't want to make a purchase from a company I know nothing about.
>>
this is my first post on this board, just ordered this /out/
did I do good?
anyone has experience with this particular model?
I already had the mil tec pillot's helmet bag and it has never failed me
>>
File: mil tec laser cut MOLLE.jpg (16 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
mil tec laser cut MOLLE.jpg
16 KB, 355x355
>>688940
forgot pic
>>
>>688941
what i don't get about US military backpacks is why the aren't taller, less long(?) like most tracking backpacks or other military backpacks.
is the volume so low ?
>>
>>689727
Because room for helmet and head when lying prone shooting derkaderkas.
>>
>>688398
>https://www.foxoutdoor.com/
Also curious, I saw a really nice bag by them recently. Would like to know what people think
>>
I wanna backpack somewhere, I was thinking of maybe Japan. I want to go somewhere I could maybe camp or stay overnight at some place. What kind of stuff do I have to know and bring?
>>
How big of a pack should I be considering for a 3-5 day pack? Any pack recommendations?
>>
>>690444
My 30l dakine works for a bout 3 days in winter, 5 in summer, I'm sacrificing a lot of luxuries though.
>>
What should i buy for longterm/permanent backpacking and hoboing?

Is a 120L military pack the way to go or are there bigger backpacks?
>>
What bag do you recommend for someone who plans on camping +3 days in Georgia?
>>
File: reindeer75.jpg (163 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
reindeer75.jpg
163 KB, 900x700
Got this tough guy. Wisport renindeer 75l. Pretty lightweight and durable. Cordura fabric. Made in Polan. Available in few collors and camo patterns.
It cost about 100$. I Also EDC smaller, urban one.
>>
You guys need to lurk more.
>>
all i see is a bunch of yuppies that can't wait to shit in the woods so they can feel like men finally.

take a fucking kids walmart pack out there. just make sure to wear bright colors so real travelers can spot you easily.
>>
>>675351
Be creative, not every one has a bow they need to attach on a bag.

>>675379
>S.O.C bags
Never heard of it, link.

>>683864
>Direct Action
Looks expensive, the laser molle is nice, though i would save the price ind find something else

>>684824
It is always optional, the only problem one would get is weight distribution and volume.

>>685674
'plus ones' like 70+15 means you have an optional compartment for extra volume. The plus refers to nothing but the extra volume you can get.

>>685765
Never tried it, looks decent and for an ok price, 1300 DKK = 200USD. Would use it for 3+ days hike.

>>686893
'easy'?

>>687291
Find your local chinese sewing shop. Though i would not recommend doing such hacks to your pack, you risk destroying it because the end result is not that good. I can't imagine it would turn out good, find some other pack with waist support.

>>691834
any 50L+ would do, get one with a waist belt. lurk for that size. Also test how much your stuff you plan on bringing fills. It would suck finding out you don't have room.

>>691793
I would just go with a 100L something backpack. It really depends on what you want to do. Maybe even get a duffel bag combined with a smaller backpack. This way you don't always have to log a 100L+ backpack around. You could always just have a stick and a scarf to hold your stuff.
>>
>>691875
Looks neat. how much does it weigh empty?
>>
File: 4521.jpg (96 KB, 325x424) Image search: [Google]
4521.jpg
96 KB, 325x424
>>691793
Outdoor Products Dragonfly. Official pack of homeless kids across America.

Has the added bonus of being very cheap, so when you get robbed you're not losing a big investment.
>>
>>692135
hobo here, never seen one wouldn't piss on it for a dollar. looks like something they give to dumbass yuppies trying to act like they like nature after they drive their suv more miles than they'll walk.
>>
Has anybody bought this years' REI Flash 22 yet? I have an older model but according REI's website this model is substantially lighter (14.5 vs 18 oz)

Anyway I was wondering if the stated weight is correct for the new model, it looks more comfortable with the spacer mesh on the back too.
>>
>>692148
does it come with a foam helmet that matches in color?
if so buy it.
>>
>>692148
It's a better idea to save weight on what goes in the backpack than the weight of the backpack itself.

Because you want that backpack to be as comfy and supportive as possible for long distances. I'm not saying that backpack is not, because I don't know anything about it. But this is a trap that ultralighters can fall into if they are not careful.
>>
>>692141
So you think the majority of people do not actually like nature because they live a good hours drive minimum from a decent national park?
>>
>>692161
lol national park.
oh man does everything have to be pruned before you call it a forest or are you the one thats just that dense
>>
>>692168
Try being less stuck up and less self righteous. Only idiots get offended by someone driving to somewhere they find interesting or beautiful. And people in big cities often don't have any worthwhile nature close by so why shouldn't they drive out to it?
>>
>>692196
Don't feed the trolls.
>>
>>692111
Thanks man
>>
>>692196
>live's in city to promote the eventual destruction of all nature.
>loves nature.

pick one fuck bag.
preservation doesn't start with you fucking yuppies filling the world up with more of your bullshit. A bag is a fucking bag. the only thing that should matter is the owner knowing how to fix or modify it when needed. yet you autistic fucks brag and brand drop like candy ass elitist.
mind as well reach under your stereotypical sinks and fill walmart bags full of the shit you're gonna leave behind when you drive away getting 15 miles to the gallon.
>>
>>692226

you do realize that living in the city has an outrageously LOWER impact on nature than living in nature?

take one city with a 5 million population and a thousand small, spread out mountain towns with 5k population and see which one produces more emissions, paves more roads, litters more, etc etc

it won't even be a close comparison. living in the city will be lower impact by order(s) of magnitude.

You want to live as low impact as possible? Go live in a city. I'm a selfish bastard who enjoys nature too much so instead of crowding into a small area i instead on living where a bunch of trees and animals and grass lives, and my home no doubt has a negative impact on this environment, despite all precautions i take. Sorry.
>>
What you guys think of eberlestock? Was looking at getting the v99 battleship for 5 day camping trips+military use.
>>
>>692253
brought to us by Carls Jr.
>>
>>691779
I have a 25l Dakine that I got for snowboarding. I thought it seemed a bit small though.
>>
>>692256
stupendous load hauling ability and toughness, it will survive you. however, they are monstrously heavy, and are massively overbuilt for typical hiking/backpacking purposes.

unless you're hauling mortar shells, ammo and 2 weeks of provisions through a broken battlefield, I'd consider other brands.
>>
>>692335
Man, no wonder modern militaries have stepped up their conditioning so much in the last 100 years.

That just sounds awful.

Like, the frame and straps are obsolete now, but the ALICE was at least in the same category as what a backpacker would use.
>>
>>692135
ah ha, so there are polymer frames other than downeast.
>>
>>688243
>>688246
The "rules" most people cite is that ultralight is base weight (not counting food and fuel) should be under 10 lbs, and under 20 pounds counts as lightweight.
>>
>>692326
It really is, all my stuff is as compact as possible, i don't like huge packs
>>
File: 134933724_1280x720.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
134933724_1280x720.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>692335
Thanks man. Going to reconsider that. Looking at the little brother to that pack now.
>>
For hiking is there any reason to use a backpack and not a rucksack? I only ask because I bought a rucksack from the kommando store on the cheap, just for fun, but it's actually comfortable to hike with, better than my regular teton bag.

Or are backpack/rucksack used interchangeably?
>>
>>692569
No, never use a rucksack when a backpack is called for and vice versa. The results could be dangerous and you could put yourself and others at risk.
>>
>>692569
they are synonyms today
>>
>>687187
>Ultra Kompressor 22

A steal at $50, just beware that the material is a very fine denier, if you intend to abuse your pack dont go with anything from the kompressor line. something like an REI Flash 22 has much stronger material for the weight at the cost of being barley structured enough for more than 20 lbs.
>>
>>673494
Yo man where can I get that /out/ patch?
>>
>>688398
>>689765
Bumping them for interest. Also curious about the bags from Seek /Out/side.
>>
>>693000
https://kommandostore.com/new-production/patches/
>>
>>693998
I should also mention the patch comes in iron-on and PVC hook/loop. THey also have a third sc/out/ patch further down the page.
>>
>>692700
>>692838
The most comfortable thing I ever wore was my issued rucksack when I was in the army, is there anything that's like, exactly like that, but led military looking?
>>
>>694312
Same here my issue pack was comfy as Fuck , I got a smaller one from a cav scout I knew gave it to me cause he said it would be handier for me to carry my medic gear with it , still use it, only thing is it's dpm but it does the job and cost me nothing
My other pack is an American one I got from a guy , he gave me a few digital pattern first aid kits and a day pack , really sturdy pack and good for shorter trips but not as comfy as my own
>>
>>694323
Since they're so cheap (150ish) I might buy one of the issued rucksacks and just see if I can color it in some way, black or just green.

Any tips? Just use spray paint?
>>
File: 1441894538166.jpg (358 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1441894538166.jpg
358 KB, 1024x1024
>>694359

Fill garbage can with water and black hair dye. Let soak over night. Win.
>>
Hey guys looking for a pack.

Budget is 100-150 dollars but im willing to spend more if it means a good increase in quality.

I usually go for about 1-3 day trips

it needs to fit or be able to strap and carry my MMSS.

Looking at stuff from teton and osprey.

Thanks
>>
>>694602
I think imma use like rain x or whatever that truck bed liner is called desu
>>
So, I've been looking to get my first hiking backpack soon. I've been to one of the hiking stores in my area (Alpine) and the fucker there just kept shilling the most expensive Osprey backpack they had. I realize they're good backpacks, but I don't really want to spend that much money. I'd rather spend somewhere around $150 if that's possible. Teton backpacks have caught my eye. Are they decent? I'm planning a 3 day/2 night hike for this summer, but I want to do some longer trips in the future. Pls help and pls no bully
>>
Just bought a Teton 3400 Scout for 55 bucks. Did I fuck up?
>>
LK70 is the best on the market.
>>
>>666966
I own the larger version of this pack, 120L Longback infanty bergan in OD. they're great
>>
>>678167
it looks like a transformer
top kek
>>
>>692148
also dat ass
>>
>>697540
Mine is also 120L, the bag itself is 100L + two 10L sidepouches. It really is great.
>>
>>694001
Thanks!
>>
>>688941
I'm noob to /out/ also buy my understanding is that because the weight is spread back rather than flat along your back, you're going to have to overcompensate by leaning forward and also the lack of a hip belt will result in you having to carry all the weight on your shoulders causing even more hunching. it's gonna fuck up your posture if you aren't careful with weight distribution and what not
>>
File: 2500.jpg (319 KB, 702x700) Image search: [Google]
2500.jpg
319 KB, 702x700
>>665637
I would buy it. Assuming I has extra money.
>>
>>697746
what brand is that
>>
>200+ replies

>no one mentions flextrek

Flextrek Augmenteon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLNEzgXu0E
>>
>>697804
It's mentioned in every backpack thread useless tripfag.
>>
>>697796
Haglöfs
>>
>>697840
Isn't that the big beardy guy from Harry Potter?
>>
Can anybody tell me anything about [pic related]? I'm under the impression that it is both...
>>
>>698474
this...
>>
>>698475
and this ( just with a different camo ) together to make one bag thing with the smaller one being more like a patrol pack.
>>
>>698476
Of course I could be wrong and if I am please tell me so.
>>
So I'm thinking about buying a Ranger CFP 90 ( pic related ) pack as long-term camping bag but wanted to ask about it before buying it. Does anybody here have any experience with the bag and how did it work/how is it working if you do have experience with it? I know the bag was supposedly short-lived due to it not having MOLLE ( came out about the same time the first MOLLE packs were being introduced ) and some issues with paratroopers busting the frame during jumps.

The pack is no-longer made but I recently found some unissued genuine military CFP-90 bags for sale. I also noticed a number of companies ( the original company went bankrupt ) now make the bag and sell them at a much lower price than the new/used MILSURP bags.

The one in the pic is aparently a modernized, inexpensive one made by Fox Tactical.
>>
I'm looking for a longterm weatherproof pack for hoboing.

Was told /out/ knew their stuff.
>>
Anyone here have experience with the REI Yosemite 75? I was shopping around at REI for my first backpack yesterday and it caught my eye. It has great reviews on REI's website, but that's all I could really find.
>>
>>668879
Yeah for sure. You can make any pack work with enough ingenuity. I don't know why people stress so much about packs fitting perfectly and having just the right capacity. I've done grand canyon rim2rim, the John Muir trail, and one month of the Appalachian trail, all with a 40L pack I bought on a wim.

Honestly, the only problem I can really see is that when your pack isn't big enough, you chance getting your stuff wet when you have to strap it outside the pack. But you can fix that by rigging a poncho over the whole mess. Whatever. To each their own. My favorite pack is my 35L wisport sparrow because it's versatile for trips of all lengths.
>>
2300gram
>>
>>699370
Me too. I was thinking about 70L would be a good size. Do you think we need more?
>>
File: Camping Backpack.jpg (146 KB, 795x1500) Image search: [Google]
Camping Backpack.jpg
146 KB, 795x1500
This is mine, 80L.
It's cheap and I've seen loads of people saying how crap it is on other sites. But it's served me well.
What does /out/ think of it? Should I invest in something new

[spoiler] It's called an Outback Hiker 70 [/spoiler]
>>
File: stratos50_side_anthraciteblack.jpg (92 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
stratos50_side_anthraciteblack.jpg
92 KB, 570x760
Anyone have any experience with the Osprey Stratos 50? Thinking about buying either that or the Exos 58.
>>
File: ospery-exos-58-basalt-black1-3.jpg (44 KB, 450x622) Image search: [Google]
ospery-exos-58-basalt-black1-3.jpg
44 KB, 450x622
>>700657
>>
File: faggots.jpg (36 KB, 195x260) Image search: [Google]
faggots.jpg
36 KB, 195x260
needing more than 3L fanny pack, pockets and a belt knife for a 2 week /out/ trip.
this thread is making me sick
>>
>>697809
as it should be, less than useless anon
>>
File: 81d9ZCIOzZL._SL1500_.jpg (268 KB, 1089x1500) Image search: [Google]
81d9ZCIOzZL._SL1500_.jpg
268 KB, 1089x1500
>>699370#
>>700527 (You)#
Im quitting society upcoming saturday, and this is the backpack im using.

Berghaus vulcan 80+20L.

Its really tough, when you feel the material you know it will last for years. It has been used by several european military forces and its really easy to get in europe. I packed all my stuff and it fits just fine, and i have some leftover space for spare food and water.

I feel great, ive been preparing for a homeless life for weeks now and im finally done. Im gonna be gone this saturday morning.
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.