[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best dogs ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 25
File: st-bernard-forest[1].jpg (89 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
st-bernard-forest[1].jpg
89 KB, 640x360
Best dogs for when /out/ ?

looking for:

-loyalty
-keen senses
-something that'll aware me of anything dangerous trying to sneak up on me.

Why? I'm going on a camping trip where there may be wolves / bears. To stay safe I want to bring along a dog with sharper ears than mine.

Plus it would be awesome if I could also use this for hunting.
>>
/an/ is that way ------>
>>
File: chesapeakeWENDY.jpg (129 KB, 460x464) Image search: [Google]
chesapeakeWENDY.jpg
129 KB, 460x464
Pretty much every dog has sharper ears than you. If you want the dog to hunt with then the best one depends on what type of hunting dog you want. There are a bunch of different types sighthound, scenthound, retrievers, points, etc. Then you have to train them from birth to do what you want, and even then they might still suck at hunting.

I don't think a dog will be much help keeping you safe from bears or wolves though.
>>
>>638176
I looked through and German Shepherd caught my eyes most of all.

If I'm with a dog it can help me hunt and speak if there are animals nearby at night.

After that we tag team any bears / wolves. Obviously I would avoid this though and use all manner of deterrents.

Il probably die before my dog as I'm equally if not more loyal than 1
>>
File: 18360-doge-doge-simple.jpg (67 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
18360-doge-doge-simple.jpg
67 KB, 2000x1200
>>638167

Meme dog is best doge
>>
>>638167
Beagle
Dry mouths
Less shedding than other bread
Two sizes 13 inch and smaller, 13-15 inch go about 40 pounds
Will hunt whatever it is trained to sniff most train beagles to hunt rabbits.
>>
>>638185
German Shepard are a poor choice for hunting.
>>
honestly consider the poodle
>>
>>638211
I want it to bark at intruders.

I want something strong. Hunting instincts. Trainable. Protective

I hear gsp are good for any and everything.
>>
>>638215
No doubt about it. Say what you want but I grew up with standards and they were badass bird dogs.

I've got a chocolate lab right now and he loves the woods. I'll take him fishing, hunting and camping. He's a little hyper but he's mostly a good boy.

Took him camping/hunting last week 20° at night he loved it. I had to yell at him to stay out of the lake lol
>>
File: Benny-pointing.jpg (107 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
Benny-pointing.jpg
107 KB, 400x226
>>638229
GSPs are not a very strong or protective breed. They need a lot of exercise and are good for hunting though.
>>
don't mind me just the master race coming through
>>
Husky if you have the time and experience to train it.

Retrievers smell and hear insanely well, and are entry level in terms of training. Can be trained to aid in hunting but are pretty much all-rounders. Greats dogs.

I don't have experience with sheperds but I was considering getting one as my lab doesn't have that many years left. Are they good hiking dogs? Ibhear a lot have hip problems.
>>
>>638233
What the hell, is that a wolf?
>>
File: muh doggy- cropped.jpg (63 KB, 475x745) Image search: [Google]
muh doggy- cropped.jpg
63 KB, 475x745
>>638235
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakian_Wolfdog
>>
>>638238
Aren't wolf hybrids notoriously hard to train? Like to the point of not being trainable at all? You have experience with them they seem pretty cool.
>>
>>638238
>The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog develops a very strong social relationship - not only with their owner, but with the whole family. It can easily learn to live with other domestic animals which belong to the family;
Sounds good

>however, difficulties can occur in encounters with strange animals.
Sounds like it will protect you

>Wolfdog's passion for hunting when they are puppies to avoid aggressive behavior towards smaller animals as an adult.
>Female Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs tend to be more easily controllable, but both genders often experience a stormy adolescence.
Doesn't sound too bad but definitely not easy.
>>
>>638242
yeah hybrids are not well suited dogs for like 99% of all dog owners. they need lots of attention, exercise and mental stimulation or they will misbehave out of frustration and challenge you if aren't a Strong leader/alpha. They can be a bit more dangerous as instincts run deeper.

unfortunately most end up in shelters as people get them as fashion pets but some times even experienced dog owners cant deal with them after they failed to train them from a young age.

>>638238 this was the dog of my cousin
>>
>>638234
>Husky if you have the time and experience to train it.

Huskies are independent as fuck even when well trained
>>
>>638232
They are used as police dogs and military too so I reckon they fit the bill.

>>638253
>independent
Does that mean they want solo time or they do what they want.
>>
>>638281
Which police/military uses GSP's? They definitely aren't common.
>>
My Queensland Heeler.

Thought it would be the last breed I would ever own, so fine!

13.5 years later, she's moving slowly.

Then my g/f gets a Kline Spitz. What a cute little pup! Alert as all get out, defensive, great hiker.

Gonna miss my beloved Heeler, this may be her last year, next one for sure.
>>
>>638285
I mean German shep
>>
>>638281
I think with independent he means unreliable, as in you can't be sure good training will lead to a well-behaved dog.
>>
>>638211
This. Beagles are also cute and shower you with love.
>>
File: 20150815_033632.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150815_033632.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
My baby.
>>
File: 20151024_160148.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151024_160148.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>638448

My other baby
>>
File: 20150628_200937.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150628_200937.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
OP don't get this dog. Hes lazy as hell. Just sits around all day sleeping. The only dog I know that gets sick of fetch before you do. Literally he will lay around 18 hours a day cuddled up next to you. I've never seen a so with less exercise requirement than him.

Damn though if I don't love him. Most loyal dog I've ever had. The sweetest, most well mannered dog I've ever been around.
>>
File: 20150528_102732.jpg (4 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150528_102732.jpg
4 MB, 3264x1836
>>638167
I wish someone bred small saint Bernards. They'd make great out dogs. But I'm aways worried about doing long term damage to her joints.
>>
File: 020520111073.jpg (712 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
020520111073.jpg
712 KB, 2592x1944
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is the G.O.A.T
next up would be Akita... but they really enjoy murdering any other animal they see.
>>
>>638553
Based on what OP is looking for... the Akita is better.. it is a quiet dog doesn't bark all the damn time at random. But when something is up.. its curl tail goes down and its on like donkey kong something close by is about to get its ass kicked or chased.
The Greater Swiss is a very loving dog too - very strong and is great for carrying things - they were trained to lug stuff up mountains in Germany/ Austria.
>>
>>638554
>Swiss dog was trained in Germany/Austria.
Why is it called a Swiss Mountain dog then?
>>
>>638559
> Becuz co-opting muh heritage?
>>
>>638197
Why do shiba inu look so fucking ridiculous?
I seriously kek every time I see one.
>>
File: Stdschnauzersblkps.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Stdschnauzersblkps.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>638229
Get a Schnauzer. They're as close to hypoallergenic as a dog comes, they're smart as fuck, they live a long time (like 16+ for a miniature), no major health issues, they're very protective and will definitely bark at shit, they were originally bred as guard dogs. They come in mini, standard, and giant. They have bomb ass mustaches... They're just all around great dogs.

Just look at the beautiful dogs.
>>
i think you 'll have to choose between a dog for protection and one for hunting.
There are only breeds for either hunting or sheepdoging/guarding/protecting.

I had an irish setter/gsd mix as a kid.
It was very beautiful, smart, protective and stubborn but not a real hunting dog compared to the golden i have now.

I'd get a smaller gsd or some field trial retriever.
>>
>>638553
Master tier race, though the small Sennehund is great as well. Very loyal, very energetic and medium-tier hard to train.
>>
>>638233
>>638238
I've just read about this. Sounds like an epic dog actually, just the kind Im looking for.

Bit pricey I got a quote for £1500

>>638443
Its tiny man. I dont dislike small dogs but I need something hard that can run long distances with me while I cycle n shit.

>>638553
Thanks Il check em out.

>>638580
doge is awesome though haha. Awkward little fucker.

>>638583
How does it fair for hunting and long energetic runs ?

>>638586
There have been loads of top suggestions ITT I actualy dont aggre with you.

If you do get a hunting dog you can always train it for protection and vice versa (but the latter sounds like it would be harder). Its not like Im going to leave it up to the dog to decide how it behaves when guarding. Im gonna train it.
>>
>>638603
Are you OP? I can see the appeal for a wolf hybdrid, with their exceptional intelligence, strength and endurance plus looking cool (because it's literally a wolf). But do keep in mind that even experienced dog owners will in many cases fail to control wolf hybdrids. Wolves themselves cannot be domesticated, and you're getting a fair portion of that instinct.

How much experience with dogs do you have? Have you had a husky, or at least a shepherd or rottweiler?

I can personally vouch for the Swiss Great mountain dog, my parents used to have one they are very strong and loyal.
>>
File: DSC_0447.jpg (401 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0447.jpg
401 KB, 1600x1059
>>638603
not op but i second this >>638605 opinion.
while they are really awesome dogs, they are really really difficult pets. (they might also be illegal in your area /country and need special enclosures). And it will cost a lot more then 1500 to keep that kind of dog, for example we had to install over 2,5m high fences and a dig guard around the property.

I can paste a wall of text but only if you want.

German shepherd are very good dogs ( working dogs in like every second country)

berner sennendogs are amazing too. friend has them
>>
>>638553
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog seems pretty much spot on except for the friendliness toward strangers, but that can always be trained to be colder and more territorial with them.

•Good guard dog,
•Good travel companion,
•Doesnt mention much about hunting but you can always train it to hunt since its got the herding and high awareness of its surroundings.

Akita seems pretty much equal in ability but the GSMD just seems more capable and a better companion to me. I reckon the Akita has faster speed because it seems more slender.

How fast are GSMD they seem slow to me.

>>638605
I am a first time owner but I know how to control a dog. I definately wouldnt try to reason with it like I see alot of females and effeminate males do. Id use it for working, exercising, travelling the outdoors...I can put my foot down and I can be consistent, afterall I am smart.

I've owned cats before so I have the awareness of when an animal is getting pissed off. I think if you can understand cats which are borderline psychotic that can attack you while its purring, then I think I can handle a dog.

What advice could you give me in the matter?
>>
>>638613
>>638605
I hear you guys Im reading about them...Sounds like im just making myself more work getting a wolf dog...

So far GSD, G Swiss Mnt Dog or Akita are the ones I see as fit.
>>
>>638614
Gettign a hydrid wolfdog as a first time dog owner is like trying to learn how to drive in a Ferrari. It looks cool but you will have no control, it's expensive and someone will end up dead. In fact no breeder will even consider selling you one.

For a first time I think s German Shepherd is pretty great, very loyal but be aware of bad breeding and hip problems. Swiss mountain dog is very loyal as well, it's also very strong and has a lot of energy. They are somewhat harder to train but should be manageable for a beginner. Don't get a husky of any kind.

As to training, I think you have the wrong idea. You don't need to be Chad to train a dog, and women can lead dogs just fine. You absolutely must do a training course, so (1) you learn how to train your dog, (2) you will train your dog and (3) it will learn to socialize with other dogs. Anyways a dog is not at all like a cat. It's much more a social animal and needs some sort of social structure or it will create it's own. Like a kid, it will try to test boundaries and see what it can get away with. Ask your training group what methods to use for what behavior. All-round effectiveness I usually find with ignoring a dog after bad behavior. Yes, it will remember what it did. Don't necessarily lock it away just go on your business as if the dog didn't exist. It'll feel the burn. But yeah also read some good books.

And don't get a wolfdog
>>
File: 1446525161293.png (750 KB, 620x592) Image search: [Google]
1446525161293.png
750 KB, 620x592
>>638603
If you want a dog to run with you while you cycle, don't get a giant breed dog. Their hips and joints will be ruined. A greater swiss mountain dog is approaching giant territory. They may not be a good choice.

I get that you want a purebred dog, everyone does, but you don't need one. Go to a shelter, and check the dogs out there. You won't need to spend $2k on a dog that may or may not have significant genetic problems (like many purebred dogs do). Shelters will have puppies, adults, older dogs, purebreds, mixed breeds, ect ect.

I always hear the argument "I don't want a shelter dog, I want to raise it so I know it". That's a pretty BS argument since shelters have puppies, and even if you raise a dog from a puppy, it can still turn out wrong for you. You may get a puppy, want it to be super active, and then it's just a couch potato.

Also, talk to someone with a puppy. They suck so much. They piss on stuff, chew everytbing, and are more work than having a baby (trust me, I've had both). A shelter dog will often be housetrained, know basic commands, and may have outgrown the worst habits.

If you get a young shelter dog, you can train it however you want, and since it's not a puppy, you'll have an idea how it will be as an adult.

You'll have the pick from dozens of dogs, you can walk/run with them to try them out and see if they suit you. You can make multiple visits to get to know dogs, and end up with one that's perfect for you.

Most importantly, a shelter dog often binds extremely deep with its rescuer. Aure, the same can be said for all dogs, but shelter dogs seems to "know" the importance of rescuing them. They just bond really well. You'll have a faithful companion for years.

Check out a shelter, trust me it's worth it. I have a purebred dog, came from a shelter. He came with all his pedigree paperwork, and his original receipt of purchase. Someone paid $2000 for him and couldn't keep him. I adopted him for $50.
>>
NEw potential contender:

Caucasian Shepherd Dog...

Thoughts ?
>>
>>638827
Looks good but I'm not sure if it'll make a great hiking dog seen it's weight.

If you want a large dog, go for one that was bread to hike. Great swiss mountain dog is good choice, maybe Berner Sennen is even better. Friend of mine had one was a really nice dog, very friendly and easy going but it could knock you right over.
>>
>>638838
*bred
>>
>Irish Wolfhound
>Brittany
>Russian Caucasian Mountain Dog
>>
>>638838
Berner Sennen don't have the reputation of being a healthy breed. Their average live span is shorter than 8 years.
Get something smaller and healthier.
>>
>>638580
>>
>>638655
This x1000
>>
>>638603
>How does it fair for hunting and long energetic runs ?
Schnauzers (mini and standard at least, don't know about giants) are super energetic and active, you could definitely take one for long runs and hikes and such.
For hunting I'm not sure. The minis are related to terriers though and will definitely chase shit down if it runs (they were often used as ratters back in the day).

After reading around a bit, apparently standard schnauzers can be taught to be retrievers as well as do herding, and so the internet claim can make good hunting dogs.
I've always thought of them more as guard dogs, because they aren't super friendly to strange animals or other dogs. They've been used as military and police dogs too.
One of my favorite breeds, but I may be biased as my mother used to show them when I was a kid.
>>
>>638448
What breed? Better keep him close to you because I would totally steal him and drive off into the sunset with my new doge friend

10/10 gorgeous animal
>>
File: 14101496483510.jpg (173 KB, 480x519) Image search: [Google]
14101496483510.jpg
173 KB, 480x519
>>638167
This was my camping partner for 10 years before her hips started giving out on account of Akitas propensity for hip displaysia

Never really took her on super long hikes. But there were plenty of multiday (2-7days) of hiking 5-10 miles a day.

I miss her so much.
>>
>>638580
They have very expressive faces. My shiba is the sweetest little thing.
>>
>>638448
What breed is this?
>>
File: German-Wirehaired-Pointer[1].jpg (45 KB, 900x541) Image search: [Google]
German-Wirehaired-Pointer[1].jpg
45 KB, 900x541
>>638615
Look into the german wirehaired pointer as well. If you get a german bred one, they will be top notch at hunting and guarding. In terms of training, I think they will be less difficult to train(still harder than normal dogs though) and they will be a great family dog as well.
And you can get at the size you want as well, it depends on the breed. From about 25kg to 35/40kg
>>
>>639148
they will easier to train than the wolf hybrids*
That's what I was trying to say
>>
File: rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg (79 KB, 1280x976) Image search: [Google]
rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg
79 KB, 1280x976
Ok, so OP wants a dog that is loyal, keen, and intimidating to large animals.

I have had a few dogs growing up
>australian sheep dog
>two golden labradors
>german shephard
>two weiner dogs
>bernese mountain dog
>rhodesian ridgeback

Based off my personal experience, and exposure to a variety of dogs I'm heavily biased towards the ridgeback. The dog is huge, intensely smart, loyal, and overall a bad ass. The males can get to be 120+ pounds and they can sprint like greyhounds. Traditionally they were used to flush lions out of the bush for hunters.

Only issue is they need to be properly trained and you need to spend time with them and keep them active. Also have money because big dogs can eat.
>>
>>638538
Look into bernese mountain dogs. They look the same, smaller, and can run forever. I had one in high school and would run cross country with him.
>>
>>639154
>>639156
Are bernese mountain dogs good for hunting though? My friend has two of them, but they seem to lazy/stupid to be reliable hunting dogs?
>>
>>639162
Dunno about the hunting part because I never did that. The dog was pretty dumb though, so I'm sure there are better alternatives
>>
>>638214
Not the previous anon.
Tell me why ? Because German Shepherds are the GOAT of dogs and I would like some true facts about why they are considered a poor choice for hunting.
>>
File: daisy painting.jpg (2 MB, 1554x1836) Image search: [Google]
daisy painting.jpg
2 MB, 1554x1836
>>639156
I wont remember that when she dies nearly a decade from now. And I'm not going to get a second dog and only take it out. That would be mean.
She only two now and seems to be capping out at 100 ish lbs. So I don't think she'll drop dead suddenly from heart failure like thy're known to anytime soon.
>>
>>639175
Not quite sure why not for hunting but at least they're bred for guarding and (who'd have thought) herding. Other than that they are pretty much all-round great dogs but the hip problem is real.

For hunting do consider a retriever, I've had both a golden and labrador retriever and they are great dogs, and bred as a hunting aid.
>>
>>639181
Thank you for the info, through I would need to look into it.
Because I have German Shep/Mutt breed dog and he is the best dog I have ever had. He is so close to death, but he still stays strong and protects our house.
>>
hi
>>
>>639154
I want a rhodesian ridgeback so bad. Even know a RR rescue but alas I can't have pets where I live.
>>
>>639074
sucks man. That doesnt look like an Akita though
>>
File: dogs.jpg (110 KB, 500x1358) Image search: [Google]
dogs.jpg
110 KB, 500x1358
Found pic related...

Quite a lot to take in really.

Its gotta be a medium sized dog with longer legs so it can run well.

It has to have a mean character to the naughties

Gotta be smart to train hunting and guarding.

I found pic related...
>>
It sounds to me that you are listening to what you want to hear
Every owner of a breed will say their breed is the best one and will exaggerate their qualities, including the shelter ones.

I would just get a shelter dog because of genetic problems and price.
>>
>>639175
they don't have a softmouth like golden retrievers or gorden setters do.
It's the ability to carry game without hurting it.
>>
>>639185
No barking rats please.
>>
>>639236
This among other reasons. And for waterfowl, lots of shepherds love water, but pretty much every single golden or lab I've ever met LOOOOOVES the water.

Shepherds could make great hunting dogs with the right training, but their breed is not ideally suited to it.
>>
>>639236
>It's the ability to carry game without hurting it.
No, it's the inclination to treat whatever's in their mouth gently. Any breed can be hard-mouthed or soft-mouthed, but most breeds express a general trend towards one or the other based on the desirability of the trait in the breed - a soft mouth on a gun dog is highly desirable but a terrier should be able to grip its prey like a vice.
>>
>>639097

Is he squeezable?
>>
>>638167
I will always recommend a catahoula for most jobs.
>>
File: 20151011_110943.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151011_110943.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>639704
I wanna squeeze a shiba

My neighbor had them, very cool dogs.

My french bulldog is squeezable.
>>
>>638167
Leonberger, favourite dog, plus they can be pretty big, look them up
>>
>>638211
Beagles tend to get eye infections due to their ears hanging over its eyes
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.