[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good way to save weight on gear? Here's what I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1430508105211.jpg (89 KB, 526x521) Image search: [Google]
1430508105211.jpg
89 KB, 526x521
What is a good way to save weight on gear? Here's what I take on a 1-5 day trip

>water 2x1,5kg + chlorine tabs or squeeze type filer
>food 0.75 kg per day

>bivy tent, 1.5 kg
>sleeping bag either -20 degC 2.1kg (winter) or 0 degC 1.4kg (summer)
>lightweight aluminium-coated pad, 0.2kg-ish
>small towel 0.5kg-ish
>underwear and socks each 1 pair per 2 days, 0.2kg per day-ish
>clean shirt 0.2 kg
>jacket 1kg unless I'm wearing it
>compass, small knife, small emergency kit total 0.5kg

I want to add that I never take any cooking equipment. I never bring food that needs to be heated because it's quicker and saves a bit of gear.

I know the underwear/socks are comfort, but I like them for the weight, same as the shirt. What I might still save on is get one of those lightweight towels, and I have cheap heavy sleeping bags. anything else? I've looked into hammock camping but it's not for me.

Looking at my list
>>
wtf mate you have like no gear as it is why do you need to be even lighter ?
>>
>>636257
maybe taking less water if you can collect and purify

maybe down sleeping bags if they arent

overeall you seem as light as you can go and be safe
>>
For a multi-day trip the majority of your weight is going to be food and water. That's just reality.
>>
File: _77845459_cartoon.jpg (326 KB, 624x444) Image search: [Google]
_77845459_cartoon.jpg
326 KB, 624x444
>>636258
basically it's a mental illness these ultra-lighters obsess over every ounce. this is the /out/ version of minimalism which is recognized by DSM V as a disorder of the mind
>>
>>636286
>Not wanting to waste calories lugging around a bunch of extra useless shit is a mental illness.

There's a certain level of respect I have to give to trolls that are at least clever. You don't deserve that, though.
>>
Unless you want to drop MAD DOSH into super duper expensive gear you aren't going to save any weight over what you're currently carrying. The spare socks and underwear are comfort but in a very important way, they keep you from being miserable and chafed and from wearing the same sweat stained underwear for five unholy, brutal days and keep you from blistering. The towel is a weight dropper I guess. Your bags aren't that heavy either. What clothes do you take? Your jacket is quite heavy.
>>
>>636302
Meant to say you aren't going to save weight on your sleeping kit without spending mad dosh, whoops. There is potential weight saving in clothes.
>>
>>636258
I forgot to add I also take toilet paper and a toothbrush and a small washing towel.

Basically the lighter you are, the further you can go. Most of the stuff people pack in 30kg packs is just comforts. Extra clothing, warm food, 5 knives, binoculars etc etc.

>>636264
Good point, I just always start with two 1.5L bottles, and jf one is empty and I get to water I'll fill it up and put a tab or drop or whatever in. I'm in a region where a lot of streams tend to be unpredictable though.
>>
Lol, I just realized op did not include his bagpack. How much does that weigh?
>>
>>636324
not much like 1-2kg I think, never weighed it.
>>
>>636257
Every oz on your feet is like an extra pound on your back.

What kind of shoes are you going to be wearing?
>>
>>636447
depends on the conditions really

Hiking boots for rocky, snowy or difficult terrain, trail runners for more flat and easy tracks.
>>
>>636305
>Most of the stuff people pack in 30kg packs is just comforts.

it's not "comfort" its gear to actually be able to do shit once you are there. I like hiking a lot but just walking, eating prepared food, going to the bathroom, and sleeping for 5 days sounds boring as fuck senpai.
>>
File: 1420566470316.jpg (158 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1420566470316.jpg
158 KB, 1200x900
>>636578
yes, i just wonder how monks can live without anything, contrary to those little hedonists
>>
>>636257
drop your shelter weight in half by going with a 0.5-0.7kg tent by six moon designs, sierra designs, or tarptent. you can go lower with a cuben shelter from zpacks.

switch to a good quality down bag, or a quilt. enlightened equipment makes a -5C down filled quilt that starts at 0.6kg depending on what options you add.

I would weigh your sleeping pad properly. it's highly improbable that it weighs just 200g.

in the same train of thought, weigh all those extra clothes. they are surprisingly heavy. a pair of thermal long johns is nearly 0.5kg.

>>636441
1-2kg is an outrageously heavy pack for someone who is trying to cut weight like you. since your gear is probably pretty small, you can probably swing a frameless 40-50L pack for about 0.5kg.

>>636578
for me, being in nature and enjoying it keeps me plenty busy. what is it that you do to entertain yourself?
>>
>>636578
>sounds boring
depends on where you do it. Also when I set up my bivy I kind of explore around, sometimes go for a swim in small rivers or shit. Fun times.

Obviously I pack more gear in the cold, and probably more fallback systems for fire and water as well.

>>636645
they beg for food
>>
>>636651
I just checked the specs, the pack is 36L and weighs 1.0kg. Not sure about the pad it's really light and 0.2 is what I remembered.

I feel like with tent sleeping bag I can't go much lower without jumping into a whole new price range. I have looked into hammock camping but decent starting gear will cost me 150-200 which is not what I want to spend right now.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I don't have any real hiking clothes except for a jacket. So mostly cotton stuff which is heavy and sub-optimal in general. I'm looking to at least buy some good pants.
>>
>>636655
yes, that's correct. the brands I mentioned in >>636651 will start off at $200-300 per item. but it's not bad if this is a hobby that you're going to pursue for a while. I have my 3 season base weight down to 9.4 lbs, and I spent only about $1100 US on it.
>>
>>636658
>only about $1100 US
that's quite a lot. I mean it's really not THAT much if you consider you only have to replace stuff every +10 years, but right now that is a lot for me. I'm trying to increment and improve and dashing out a lot for lighter gear isn't really feasible yet. I just got enough gear to go 4 seasons, which I am really happy with.
>>
>>636663
yes, definitely spend within your means. I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to fund my hobbies.

In general, /out/ isn't the most expensive of hobbies, unless you want to summit everest or something like that. a simple camera lens can cost more than my set of gear, or a set of skis and boots, maybe even a single golf club!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.