[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody use spiked boots for off the trail exploring?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: unnamed (5).jpg (107 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (5).jpg
107 KB, 384x384
Does anybody use spiked boots for off the trail exploring?
>>
>>635013
No, Stay on the trail you dipshit
>>
>>635013
Is that a goddamned sword?
Get out of here.
>>
>>635018

>what is spelunking
>implying those boots would be good for that
>implying im OP
>>
What kind of boots are those op?
Is the sole firm?
How much without the spikes?
>>
File: IMG_20151114_201812.jpg (213 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_201812.jpg
213 KB, 720x720
Some Hunters in NZ use instep crampons in the bush when its slippery and steep. Some boot manufacturers still offer tricounis on their boots for hunters.

I own some spiked forestry boots which I use alot on the steep stuff aswell as just walking along logs. Not a bad investment but may be impractica for somel as you cant drive with them or walk down the street without ruining your spikes.
>>
>>635023
Its clearly a planting spade.
>>
File: screw1.jpg (481 KB, 640x510) Image search: [Google]
screw1.jpg
481 KB, 640x510
>>635013
I use screw shoes when it's icy.
>>
>>635018
Only fags and keks walk on trails. Quit being a pussy
>>
File: DSCF2758.jpg (798 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2758.jpg
798 KB, 2048x1536
>>635045
I did that once and when I got back from hiking a local trail most of them came out, I even tried super gluing them in and they still came out. What was funny was in the spring when everything melted I hiked the trail and saw some of my screws.
>>
File: DSCF2574.jpg (813 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2574.jpg
813 KB, 2048x1536
>>635069
This was the trail and why the Forest Service is pretty clueless when it comes to trail making. They didn't leave anywhere for the water to drain so it stayed on the trail.
>>
>>635071
topkek
>>
File: ice feet.jpg (98 KB, 800x615) Image search: [Google]
ice feet.jpg
98 KB, 800x615
>>635069
That's funny... I keep expecting that to happen but I've never lost a screw that I can remember, and I've done it to a pair of runners and a pair of hikers. Maybe if you used longer screws?

Lost plenty of studs from the kind that slip over your boots though (of various brands).

>>635071
ever try skates on that trail?
>>
>>635090
>Maybe if you used longer screws?
The reason why I tried screws was because I've tried 3 different kinds of slip over shoe ice grippers, like Yaktrax (both kinds and both broke). With the screws I went into the hardware store with the boots and got the longest one that went into the rubber. I even brought spare screws and a little T handle wrench to put more in.

>ever try skates on that trail?
It was downhill and steep in some places and it was funny because you would pass people coming down and they had that clothes dirty and wet on one side thing that you knew they slipped and fell.
>>
File: ik-831265.jpg (19 KB, 380x340) Image search: [Google]
ik-831265.jpg
19 KB, 380x340
No. but i have some ice cleats. not too useful but nice to have
>>
I dont but my job forces me to use corked boots

Also anyone that says stay on the trail suck a fat cock you city living yuppie fuckbag
>>
>>635098
The ones in that picture >>635090 are my favorite of the slip over ones (off-brand but basically the same as Stabilicer Maxx), only problem is the studs can come unscrewed so you should probably put threadlock on them.

>>635108
There are ice cleats and there are ice cleats, the sort in your picture is more for black ice on the sidewalk. I keep some in my bag in the winter in case I need them because they pack up small, but if I'm going any distance they slip out of alignment easily and the studs sometimes come loose. There are better kinds for serious hiking.

Might try these this winter... http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/
>>
I have a pair of slip on ones that go over my boots in the winter. For ice fishing but they aren't great for walking on pavement because they will break sometimes

I havey current pair of boots. That I've worn for close to 6 years and are starting to wear down on the bottom finally, when they finally are flat on the bottom. I'm going to pull the liner and put some screws through from the inside out use silicone. To re water proof it. And use those as my winter only boots

I've already bought a replacement pair
>>
>>635233
I did something similar with a set of mountain bike tires before proper studded tires were easily available.
>>
>>635013
Nope, I just use my regular boots for off trail.

Don't really have a problem unless I hit ice, then I put on my ice trekkers.
>>
File: IMG_20151104_131003805.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151104_131003805.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
>>635264
I'm planning on doing that too when my tires on this. Wear down more, they're surprisingly tough

Seems time.consuming but possibly worth it
>>
>>635013
i used spiked wading boots for fishing. helps a lot on slimy rocks but also you kind of skate on clean rocks. They make walking on rocky trail just a little iffier. On ice they help.
>>
File: RIMG30883.jpg (115 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
RIMG30883.jpg
115 KB, 1000x750
>>635013
I always use spiked boots to explore the french countryside.
>>
>>635946
Germany please calm down, it's not 1940 anymore
>>
>>635027
Not OP, but those are caulk boots. They are a staple of the forestry industry, especially in the PNW where it's wet all the time. A lot of my planting colleagues swear by them.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.