[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shelters 2.0
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: IMG-20151016-WA0006.jpg (372 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151016-WA0006.jpg
372 KB, 1600x1200
>>
File: my shelter.jpg (33 KB, 700x527) Image search: [Google]
my shelter.jpg
33 KB, 700x527
me at el capitan
>>
>>633478
Looks about like my old setup. I sold it because of financial troubles. Probably go with a tent this time so my puppers can keep me warm.
>>
What shelters do you guys recommend for winter camping? This winter I wanted to try building a fortified A frame and then insulating it with a foot of snow. Any experiences/recommendations? Will be testing anything in back yard before I bring it /out/.
>>
File: IMGP8960.jpg (885 KB, 2048x1355) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8960.jpg
885 KB, 2048x1355
these are my hammocks. it got down to about freezing last night and it rained. i was toasty warm and dry. there's nothing like being under a tarp, watching the water rain down on it in the light and being totally safe and cozy. It'd a DD Jungle Hammy

the second canvas hammock is just an old GI one that i use as a bench to sit on while cambin, and as a shelf to hold my stuff while i'm sleepin (boots, water bottle, bear spray, etc).
>>
>>634796
Lean-to with debris end caps and an emergency blanket backing? If you make a low profile one with it's back to the wind it should work with a fire in front, the blanket should reflect all of your heat and the fires heat back in.

That's my idea for it. Any others friendos? I need to get out camping more, I'm mostly a hiker.
>>
>>634802
Also you've now inspired me, I wanna make a mini hammock for sitting and stuff, make it half size just to sit back in like a suspended stool.
>>
>>634826
dude it offers amazing lumbar support when you sit on it like a bench. i like to string it up high enough so when i sit my feet don't touch the ground. it's comfy and surprisingly stable. this is why i like the canvas material one, even though it's bulkier than a small mesh hammockk would be. it's just more rugged and offers better support. plus i use it to pack and unpack stuff so i don't want all the holes that shit can fall through or get snagged on
>>
>>634823
I was thinking A-frame and then insulating with debris on one end, and having the ends fold down on the other to close it up. a small candle lantern inside and emergency blanket to keep more heat in. I was thinking with the snow as an insulator it would hold more heat than the open lean to, even with the fire. Thoughts?
>>
>>634823
I'm just concerned cause it gets pretty damn cold where I live (Alberta) and I don't know how much I like the idea of an open shelter in deep winter
>>
>>634836
I'm not sure, I know it gets cold here, I'm in mid Ontario, it gets chilly. But you guys have the wind chill so it's worse.

>>634833
I don't have much knowledge about A frames, If you make it low profile it shouldn't be so bad for open, put the back to the wind and it will probably keep decently warm... I think at least.
>>
>>634842
Thus wondering about if having a closed shelter would work better to keep the heat in more. Any experiences with lanterns? Anything that gives off a little heat without too much fire hazard?
>>
>>634875
I've seen stuff on YouTube where people have made packable stoves with chimneys and all. Keeping toxic gas out is probably the biggest challenge
>>
>>634877
Packable stoves are good for keeping you warm during evening and morning chores, so you don't have to wear all your insulation. They don't really keep you warm through the night so you need enough shelter and bedding to do that.

Anyway you want a shelter that a stove pipe can run out of. So either a hole in your homemade wood lodge or a stove jack in your tent/tarp.
>>
>>634875
there was a thread on /diy/ the other day about using just a candle with some terracotta and ceramic plant pots to make a radial heater since it traps and extends the candle heat quite a bit... Is that the sort of thing?

And yeah I am not sure what would be better to do it depends on how bad the winds get and if you can build a fire wall.
>>
File: IMG_20141025_144642.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141025_144642.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>634826
Hmm, nah. That's impossible!
>>
>>634907
I'll test a few things out and report back once I have some snow fall, thanks guys. I'll be monitoring and looking for more stuff. Cheers
>>
>>634913
that thing is awesome.
>>
>>634802
What do you use for under insulation?
>>
File: 71Ih9TmzHPL._SY355_.jpg (24 KB, 251x355) Image search: [Google]
71Ih9TmzHPL._SY355_.jpg
24 KB, 251x355
>>634913
>>634981
Get on my level.
>>
>>634992
A girl?
>>
For people who solo backpack with a tent, do you keep your setup in the bag it came in or do you get like a compression sack for the tent and rain fly and keep the poles separate ? I am new to internal frame packs and wonder how people get their tent + sleep system to fit on the inside.
>>
>>634802
Where is that pack from?
>>
>>635008
Used to sell those when I (regrettably) worked at Spencers.

They're pretty garbo, honestly.
>>
>>635017
I wanna know this too
>>
>>635011
Then what does she use for under insulation?
>>
>>635059
His dick.
>>
File: DD_Underblanket_05.jpg (114 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
DD_Underblanket_05.jpg
114 KB, 450x300
>>634992
I have a snugpak underblanket. it's ridiculous. when it's below freezing outside i don't even need a bag inside when i use the underblanket. i just bring a fleece blankey for cozies and the hammock/underblanket just cocoons around me like a warm horsecunt

>>635021
dunno broski, that's my friend's pack. his dad gave it to him, so it's from the 70s
>>
>>634907
You can't produce more heat than the caloric energy of the wax being burned. The clay may absorb light and convert it heat, but so would anything else the light hits, and well... light. Just a candle is your best bet. Unless you need the pot as a windbreak the weight is a waste.

Also, bee's wax burns almost twice as long as paraffin and is probably better for you, since in a small shelter you'll be breathing all the smoke.
>>
>>634802
this pic looks cozy as fuck anon
>>
>>634802
That looks so fucking comfy

Nice work
>>
>>635507
I also have a Snugpak underblanket, I find my limit with it is about freezing, but to there it works awesome.
>>
File: my_sleeping_rig.jpg (142 KB, 561x1581) Image search: [Google]
my_sleeping_rig.jpg
142 KB, 561x1581
>>635792
is that limit with or without other warm sleeping stuff? I've been in it down to around 20ºF/-6ºC and with my sleeping bag + fleece I was hot in there. it's a lot to carry if you're packing it out and not car cambin

>>635716
>>635735
thanks fellas, was cozy indeed, espcially while it was raining on the outside
>>
>>635912
Just normal sleeping clothes (base layers, light fleece, and a 20 deg bag as a top quilt (nothing else under me). I only took it to 35 deg, and was warm, but could feel the slightest bit of coolness on my back in the morning. Not enough to wake me, but I noticed it.

If you were inside your sleeping bag, it would probably be able to add that extra 10 deg of warmth that I was missing.

It was my first night in it though, I could probably eliminate some drafts. I find the ends are not as easy to cinch up as other quilts. I need to adjust mine a little more.
>>
File: drawstring_config.png (16 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
drawstring_config.png
16 KB, 700x500
>>635985
I've adjusted how i deal with the ends to make sure it cinches up really well. in addition to the main drawstrings i string the other smaller lengths of shock cord through the loops at the end (1 & 2 in pic related). I attach the main side cords to the carabiner, and the ones i run through the loops i tie right to the gathered-end of the hammock itself. Also, getting the right tension in the underquilt can be pretty tough, it needs to be tight enough to nestle you but loose enough so your butt/shoulders don't compress into it.

finally, i always slip my fitted tarp around the outside of the underquilt to act as a windbreak. this seems to be pretty integral actually.
>>
>>635994
Yeah that tarp underneath would add a pretty good amount of warmth by itself.

I have some shock cord and cord locks, I'll experiment with it like you suggested and see how it goes.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.