[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey folks. I live in australia and I have started doing overnight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: VTE-BL100-k.jpg (26 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
VTE-BL100-k.jpg
26 KB, 563x600
Hey folks. I live in australia and I have started doing overnight through to 3 day hikes.
I have a ordered a simple Vango blade 100 tent until I get a feel for what I am after, as I am a novice. I was wondering, once i receive the tent and find out exactly how long the tent pole is overall, can I purchase a tent pole that comes in smaller sections? It packs down to a decent size, much smaller than the one I have now but it could be a lot smaller with shorter sectioned pole.
Cheers
>>
You could consider getting trekking poles. Those are light, will pack down and many tents are intended for use with them.
>>
Look you retard they aren't going to sell a small tent with really long poles.

You sound like a worrywart. Chill brah and get your shit together before ordering more gear.
>>
>>629674

When I do a search for that all I get is hiking poles. It seems like it would be pretty easy to just get replacement poles and cut/string them myself. Can i do that without compromising the integrity of the tent if I make the sections shorter then they usually are?
>>
>>629681
Your brothers and parents beat you when you asked questions, didn't they?
>>
File: 2345676543.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
2345676543.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>629681
Child abuse victim detected.
>>
>>629681
Hahaha someones grumpy. All I meant was the tent itself can be compressed down very small but the pole sections make the overall package a bit long. I could store them separately in the pack but I was thinking shorter sections would be perfect, you fucking mother trucking cunt rash
>>
>>629681
Seriously though that made me laugh out loud. Ya knob
>>
>>629685
>the pole sections make the overall package a bit long. I could store them separately

Look you lying pipsqueak...of all the things the fantasy things or real things to worry about you chose this? Really in the current year you should delete this thread and slink off. Report back when your tent arrives and you were indeed a Nervous Nelly Nancy boy
>>
>>629690
Yeah ok but seriously anyone got a serious answer? Will cutting and stringing shorter pole segments make it more unstable in anyway?
>>
>>629703
Probably so seeing as most manufacturers give you the proper lengths. It may not be as bad as you think but you won't know until it arrives. It may not be so bad.
>>
>>629703
Yes. You are going to turn a nice tent into fiberglass, metal and fabric shards
>>
>>629703
How short do you want them? Seems like six inches would be good? Or do you need to fit it in your front pocket? Also you should consider splitting the poles lengthwise to save weight. You will only need one pole that way. You can sell the other one on Craigslist

It's actually a really good idea because the process of cutting it reduces its volume. Have you ever considered going into industrial design? Or at least clock-making?
>>
>>629711
Sorry. I don't know what i was thinking. Asking a simple question, what an asshat. HEY GUYS EDC DUMP! Lets see your leatherman waves and your marathon navigator watches. Derp. If you can't answer a simple question go be a twat on /b/.
>>
>>629714
Welcome to /out/ some of us are ass holes.
>>
>>629703
As much as I enjoy seeing people get berated, it stands to reason that if we don't give real advice eventually, people will stop coming that we can berate...

Length shouldn't be your biggest concern. Weight should. And since each steel joint weighs about as much as an eighteen inch section of fibreglass, it makes sense to not go shorter than that.

If you're really that concerned, you may try looking at carbonfibre rods and tubes. It'll be pricey as fuck but you'll get to make them any length you want with negligible weight gain at joints. Probably not worth it on a cheap tent, but what do I know, I'm a hammocker. I don't carry poles.
>>
>>629714
Your question is retarded and that still gives you too much credit. You are trying to chop up a tiny backpacking tent because its too big. And you haven't even seen it yet.

Also you refuse to say how big the poles are and how small you want them. I hope you are just pretending to be a retard
>>
i do like your style of starting cheap, then work out what you want/need, then buy proper gear.

The way it should be done
>>
>>629672

PROTIP: they don't make the poles that way because the joins are the most likely spot to fail.
>>
>>630532
But I want to make them smaller kinda like a pocket tent. Why won't anyone tell me how to do it?
>>
>>630610

Yes, it's called a tarp.
>>
>>630755
But I want to use the long poles that came with my tent. Seriously how come no one will give me a legit answer?
>>
>>630977

Because you don't live in fantasy land.
>>
>>631027
Thanks for nothing.

Seriously guise isn't there anyone here who can help me make a small packable backpacking tent out of this backpacking tent?
>>
>>631085
Did you even get the thing in the mail? You may not need to.
>>
>>631099
No. I just figure I want it with shorter poles than it comes with. I want it really small.
>>
>>629672

I spent 11 days in the south Australian desert living out of the Vango Mirage, would recommend the brand, the standard poles are fine, unless you're ultralighting just use the manufacturers poles, and if you are ultralighting you should use a tarp not a tent.
>>
>>631205
How do you figure it will even function as a tent with shorter poles? The fabric won't be taut.
>>
>>630977
I want to use the long poles

>>630610
I want the poles to be smaller.

Make up your mind. Shorter sections are weaker, and won't reduce the total volume of pole, while increasing mass.

Don't waste your time on this exercise when it's a cheap starter tent. Use your experiences with with this one to decide if you want to go with a tarp, hammock or other frameless tent in the future.
>>
>>631213
OP means a replacement pole of the same overall length but with more, therefore shorter, sections.

Such things do exist btw OP, but there's a limit to how short they make the sections because (i believe) of strength issues.
>>
>>631216
I'm trying to figure out how to chop up the poles it came with into smaller pieces
>>
>>631364
ah... that's not a good idea i suspect.
>>
>>631437
Why not? The tent came with poles so why can't they be made into smaller poles? Certainly I'm not the only one who didn't want to carry giant poles around. I know it CAN be done because I never see anyone else carry long ass poles.
>>
>>631584
IMO it wont work. The flex of the poles is based on their length. Cutting the poles down will place more stress on the pole connectors rather than the pole itself.

Tbh I own the Blade 200 and I just strap it to the side of my bag. No issues with height that way.
>>
Hey mate.

Canadafag over here-

You might want to look into parachute nylon hammocks. Their only downside is the cold which you wouldnt have to worry about, they are off the ground to help protect you from all that crazy poisonous shit over there.
You can get rainflys and bug nets to counter bad weather.
#tentssuck
>>
>>631604
>Using hashtags
Take your hipster BS somewhere else.
>>
>>631604
Australia can be pretty damn cold too. I found out the hard way with a Hennessy Hammock in the Blue mountains. The trouble here is you never know what the weather will be like.
>>
>buying poles
>not just finding two sticks
>>
You could probably get away with that or just take the pole out of the bag and store it in a more convenient place in your pack. Then just pack the tent much smaller
>>
Could everyone stop telling me I can't cut my poles in half and instead tell me how to do it? Is it like a secret or something? Or do you guys just use sticks? Cmon
>>
OP here, last call on ideas on how to ruin my tent
>>
assemble your pole... tape joints, decide on new length, cut it up. Assemble and replace string =new shorter section pole!
>>
>>631755
what sort of poles are they?
>>
>>631755
Just get a saw and cut the poles without cutting the cord on the inside. Is it really that foreign to you that you couldn't think of it on your own?
>>
>>631847
I don't know since I don't have the tent yet
>>
>>631617

Yeah I get like 35+ one day, torrential flooding rain and gale-force wind the next, cold enough to get hypo the next, then three days' rain followed by 35+. Weird weather here have good gear.
>>
>>632357
Do you chop your tent poles into smaller pieces?
>>
>>632396

>tent

Maybe if ya don't want your fuckin tutu to get crumpled ya fuckin poof! xDDDD
>>
>>629672
If you have the chance, return that tent as soon as you get it and go for a self standing one.
>>
I tried to cut up the poles but that didn't work so well. I guess I will have to return it.

Any anons know what kind of tent I could buy that would allow me to cut up the poles
>>
>>633114
You need to find a new hobby buddy. Camping just isn't it.
>>
>>633187
>Thinking camping is merely a hobby
Looks like you need to have a sit down and a think too
>>
>>633225
You sperglords ruin everything with your overzealous obsession. I hope you know that.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.