[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cave Finding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: wulinshan.gif (160 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
wulinshan.gif
160 KB, 400x399
I own about 52 acres in southeast Tennessee and it's way out of the way. The property is almost entirely forest and I've known there's a cave somewhere on the property for a while now. Any ideas on how I could go about finding it?
>>
Look for it with your eyes
>>
File: antarctic.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
antarctic.jpg
87 KB, 1024x768
>>627863

Do you have a cave sniffing dog?
>>
52 acres isn't that big for exploration. Spend a day or two wandering around and you'll find it
>>
>>627863
I'm in Georgia, can I come play in January? I'll find that cave for you.
>>
>>627880
this
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Tennessee.png (65 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Tennessee.png
65 KB, 2000x1200
Southeast /out/ meetup? Middle TN here.
>>
>>627863
You must be new to the internet.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6880824_existing-underground-cavern.html
>>
>>627863
Try out a drone to survey the area.
>>
>>627863
52 acres isn't that much you fat faggot. Get walking
>>
Look around areas that have flowing water. In that part of the country youre most likely dealing with karst topography which is the result of water dissolving away limestones and other soluable rocks. Use google maps to scout out potential streams and get to it. Take pictures if you find anything. Id love to see what you find.
>>
>>627937
>for you
>>
>>627863
Just walk around, you'll either find another entrance or fall into a sinkhole.
>>
>>627929
>http://www.ehow.com/how_6880824_existing-underground-cavern.html
>It's also a good idea to have a reliable fire-starter to make a torch in case your batteries run out.
>expecting to find torch material when lost in a cave
>mfw
>>
>>627863
it's probably underground, so that is where i would be looking first
>>
>>627863
Ground penetrating satellite images. The kind they used to find russian missile silos during the cold war. Don't ask me where to find an imaging service like that.
>>
>>628045
This. You can also look for patches of trees. Because of the water you can find dense clumps of fac-wet species in upland territory. Also, a lot of caves "exhale" water vapor and air at fairly constant temps. You should be able to feel these air variations when you're close.
>>
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/map.html?x=-86.3424320979348&y=35.8441942239456&z=7
>>
what county homie?
>>
You'd need to do some geophysical surveys. Ground penetrating radar or micro-gravity surveys would do the trick.

Obviously going to be prohibitively expensive so I don't really know why I'm typing this.
>>
>>627863
Grid that shit off and start walking. Hell, I'd help if you'd let me and a friend survey and map it for you.
>>
Follow bats. Also look for or feel for air movement
ask your source where it is. Someone has to know
>>
>>627863
Hi op, if you share a topographical map of your land I can give you a systematic process for finding the cave. Better yet, share the coordinates if you aren't a pussy :)
>>
>>628093
>not bringing it with you into the cave

So, what do YOU go innacave with?
>>
Why don't you go pave yer cave, ya fucking caveman?
>>
>>630071
Flashlight with extra bulbs and batteries
Headlamp, with extra bulbs and batteries
Back up Flashlight with extra bulbs and batteries
Backup Headlamp, with extra bulbs and batteries

Climbing rope (80')
A small amount of food
A helmet
>>
>>627863
how do you obtain this amount of land? jesus christ. what do you do for a living? how much did it cost?
>>
Now would be the time to do it because decreased foliage.

I'd attempt dowsing.
>>
Bump for TN bro.
>>
>>630303
You'd be surprised how cheap land can be when its in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
TN/Western NC bros, convince me to move there instead of moving out west to Oregon/Washington state.

Used to live in Avery County and loved the hell out of it. Just not sure what the Pacific Northwest has to offer.
>>
>>632518
For TN move to Chattanooga if you want a city. If you want rural then Cumberland Plateau. Tons of /out/ to be had.
>>
>>632541
I wan't as rural as possible but still be able to be at work in 45min ish drive. Wanna be able to rip on my duel sport out back yard onto a trail system. Do wanna buy a plot of land like OP for shooting and fucking around as well. But that can be super rural as it would be a weekend retreat kind of thing
>>
>>632544
Would also like advice on finding acreage to buy in north Ga, south, tn
>>
I am up in nor east tn bout 20miles from the gap. You wouldn't believe how cheap land is here in fact my meth dealing neighbor lost 5 acres of his in a poker game. Lots of mountain to explore. On another note one of poorest areas in us. Chickens are more valuable then money im serious.
>>
>>627863
I have used relief maps for this kind of exploring. Mainly because all of Denmark is mapped in high quality. Don't know about Tennesee, but the ones I used were really accurate, and helped me find some field boundaries. Good luck!
>>
>>632544
You want cumberland plateau then. Land is still cheap there. East TN prices are slowly rising, middle TN is getting expensive too. But the lack of industry on the plateau makes it cheap because everyone wants to move the fuck out to Knox, Chatt or Nash. Just look online for land, undeveloped lots can be found within 45 minute drives of cities easily.
>>
File: 1406511326768.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1406511326768.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
>>627900
i'm down comrade. /nashville/

>>632518
No state income tax and solid weather. now convince us of how awesome you are.
>>
East TN here....just north of Knoxville
>>
>>628190
Where would you even find such a thing?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.