[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimmicks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 25
File: survival card.jpg (54 KB, 565x380) Image search: [Google]
survival card.jpg
54 KB, 565x380
I have seen a lot of different things here called gimmicks. What do you think are some real gimmicks?
>>
dude thats bad ass I want one
>>
>>614696
Paracord
>>
>I have seen a lot of different things here called gimmicks.

It's a common phrased used by people who sit in their parents basement in attempt to elevate themselves by putting down things they can't afford, due to things like their parents not giving them much of an allowance.
>>
File: coghlans-full.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
coghlans-full.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1600
the coghlan's aisle anon. the whole thing. it feels like christman everytime i see those racks of green packaging
>>
File: retards for the retard god.jpg (840 KB, 1366x632) Image search: [Google]
retards for the retard god.jpg
840 KB, 1366x632
>yfw "tobacco pipe" is a real feature
>>
>>614714
The Coghlan's section is so fucking cool. I love looking at all the shit they have
>>
>>614714
What's the consensus on Coghlan's? My local supermarket has a section of it, but I'm pretty leery of anything sold in a grocery store that isn't food.
>>
>>614732
You know when you go to the store and you see delicious "Frosted Blueberry Pop Tarts with Sprinkles" then when you look down at the bottom of the shelf they have "Kroger Berry Flat Breads with Sugar Beads" Coghlan's is like the Kroger of out supplies.
>>
File: modular kayak.jpg (100 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
modular kayak.jpg
100 KB, 960x640
modular kayaks.

Use em more than a half dozen times a summer and they will go to shit on you
>>
>>614739
Why though? If you want a boat, it should be in one fucking piece! Even inflatable ones have that down!
>>
>>614740

The market they're designed for are cheap couples and families. i.e. dad wants a kayak for him but also wants to take the kids or wife on the water every so often but dont want to buy a single and a tandem. So its awesome in theory.

The problems with them is that the seals between the modules are rarely perfect, the ratchet system can break pretty easily, and it will never perform has as well as a regular dedicated single or tandem. And they can be a bitch to transport if you dont have a truck.

None of the "good" kayak companies like Eddyline, LiquidLogic, Jackson, anything Confluence, Wilder Syste,ms, etc. have made a modular kayak. Which should tell you that its a useless gimmick that good designers dont want to touch.
>>
>>614696
Bought one from violent machine shop to try out.
Saw cut soft woods ok but only up to about a inch in diamiter.
Arrow heads worked great.
Frog spear worked great.
Fish hooks caught fish.
Snare sliders worked a treat.

I than forked out for the survival patch.

Never take anything out that you don't know how to use or have no convidance in.
>>
>>614713
No, usually people who call things gimmicks are people who pay for things with their own hard earned money and don't want to waste it on overpriced, unnecessary bullshit.
>>
>>614709
/thread
>>
>>614696
This actually looks pretty dope.

They also sell one for stealing cars.
>>
>>614732
Coghlan's is good stuff wen you buy the useful items. Don't just buy random gimmicks, buy something you need. My Coghlan's purchases have been limited to bags, sacks, containers, etc (as opposed to tools, insturments, electronics) and I've been very happy with the stuff. Is good.
>>
File: ad5a07aac14a285a22b3ae362c1a9e13.jpg (613 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ad5a07aac14a285a22b3ae362c1a9e13.jpg
613 KB, 1920x1080
>>614772
>>
Pretty much any "credit card" tool.
>>
>>615285
Don't get me wrong, I still want one.
>>
Pocket sized solar chargers
Biolites
Machetes with the saw on the spine
>>
>>614717
ever since i seen this i keep thinking about sundials and how i could add a lightweight universal to my kit. basically they can be used to figure out time if your clock shits itself or figure out bearing if you have a working clock.
they are so fucking simple it hurts. slightly more complicated then a wooden peg tho.
>>
>>614709
What should I use to tie stuff while camping?
>>
>>615285
damn this looks too shitty. would either bend to hell or split the handle in one proper hit, then stab out knee or eye
>>
>>614714
things like lighters and candles and 1st aid kits arent gimmicks per se, its when you individually package 1 candle or 1 lighter by itself than charge for that 1 item what a whole box would cost normally, or a 1st aid kit with aspirin, bandaids, and neosporin for $25 when you can buy 100ct bottle of aspirin, 10 oz of neosporin and 10x boxes of bandaids for $25.

that shit is sold to people who want to know what they're doing (or at least look like it) but dont.

aka, suckers
>>
>>614734
poptarts blow donkey dick, what are you a fucking child?

real men have bloody marys and eggs and bacon
>>
>>615495
bankline
>>
>>615285
also anything with the word "tactical" in the name or on the packaging
>>
>>615495
something more suitable- not as stretchy, heavy and bulky.... do you really need that 550lb breaking strain? No
>>
File: Lizard tail.jpg (272 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Lizard tail.jpg
272 KB, 1600x1067
>>614739
>Will this confuse the bear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ltWVTnTZQ
>>
>>614696

Batoning.

Entire knife lines designed around one small aspect involved in making a fire.
>>
File: es.jpg (180 KB, 799x632) Image search: [Google]
es.jpg
180 KB, 799x632
>>616682
>one small aspect involved in making a fire.
>one small aspect

Deglecting all the other aspects in knife design will not leave you with a broken knife.

>making a fire
and building just about anything you could build with a hatchet. Your lack of skills doesn't make batoning knives gimmicks.
>>
>>616691
been building fires for a good 25 years, never encountered 'batoning' before coming online maybe 6 years ago.

never 'needed' to do it

>much skill
>so technique
>many proficiency
>>
>>616691
>needing a bladed instrument to make a fire

Have you guys ever been outside?
>>
>>616694
I'm not trying to question your fire making skills, but the fact you haven't had a 'need' for batoning means nothing really.

A batoning knife is a good just-in-case survival tool, but it's also great for those moment you wish you had a hatchet but you don't.

>much skill
>so technique
This has been discussed here before, but batoning requires more skill than using a hatchet. When using a hatchet with imperfect techique you're just wasting energy. Do the same with a knife and you'll damage the blade.

>many proficiency
Some 'experts' claim batoning is something you should do only in a survival situation while in reality that's probably the only time you should think twice before putting you knife under a baton. If you're not used to baton in normal out situation, I'd say don't try it in a survival one.

>>616697
Have you guys ever been outside?
Have you ever seen the rain?
>>
>>614709
>That contrarian hipster who has yet to present a better alternative
>>
>>614696
http://readyman.com/Free-Special-Forces-Gear/Hostage-Escape-Card-CB/
>>
>>616702
dunno even when wet pine still burns just fine no need to break it up you need a bigger fire to dry wood out on the go that is all.

since most of the deadfall trees i found was pines i didn't much bother with other wood

grab a fallen tree, carry it to ground have lazy mans fire all night.
>>
>>614696
Anything that has a bottle opener built in to it.
>>
>>616969
>$24.95 HOSTAGE ESCAPE CARD
I have no image reaction for this. As stupid as a $500 hammock.
>>
File: chainsaw.gif (2 MB, 366x201) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw.gif
2 MB, 366x201
>>616969
Surely people don't buy this shit
>>
>>616705
Technora cord?
>weight-rated for life safety
>water resistant
>abrasion resistant
>heat resistant

Sure it's pricey, but it beats the piss out of paracord.
>>
>>616969
>Get kidnapped.
>My eyes are hoodwinked, my hands tied.
>Somehow they didn't take away the contents of my pockets.
>Despite being blinded and tied I somehow get my wallet open and that thing out.
>Like Daredevil I take out the saw and break free.
>While doing all of this I'm left alone and no-one bothers me.

What a load of crap.
>>
>>617757
Not in price it doesn't.
>>
>>618444
twine beats paracord for price
>>
>>615495

bank line or tar line.
>>
>>616702

>just-in-case survival tool

All the more reason you are retarded for wanting one. in the lower 48, they say you can't walk 20 miles in any direction without hitting a road, this means no matter what you are a max of 10 miles from a road at all times. if you get put in a "survival" situation were you are still able enough to baton wood, you should instead focus your efforts on finding the damn road and getting home. there are no more survival situations in which you get lost in the woods and need to stay alive for a while, there are situations were a mountain full of snow falls on you, or your arm gets caught by a rock, or a bear decides you taste good with a little pepper spray, but none of those require batoning, they require a PLB and maybe a gun or a dog or something for the bear.
>>
>>615495
Paracord's adequate if you can get it cheap, just don't pay a lot or sperg out about the milspec, because it's nothing special and actually kind of mediocre for a lot of camping uses.

I bought a bunch of polyester marine cord for kayak lines and I use the leftover for rigging tarps and such. Not too expensive and it's a lot more abrasion resistant so it lasts a long time. Or if I need to cut it I use some cheap braided stuff I got from the dollar store that was labeled polypropylene (but it knots and feels more like polyester, so I have my doubts). Or mason's line.
>>
>>614696
I have one for free + shipping at $2.98 from Readyman. Haven't use any of it to date, but nice to have.
>>
>>619688
not true in Maine bub
>>
File: swiss card.jpg (125 KB, 1500x899) Image search: [Google]
swiss card.jpg
125 KB, 1500x899
>>615285
Hey they SwissCard is fucking awesome.
>>
>>614696
Makes more sense to carry a few fishing hooks and needles, and if you know how to fletch arrows you will probably know how to make decent arrowheads. One arrowhead is worthless, very possible you will lose it in a variety of ways. The saw is so small it's useless. Seriously, just carry a few needles and hooks.

>>614709
Contrarian. I've had quite a bit of experience with long-term camping, a bundle of paracord + a 10lb test spool of fishing line covers everything you'd ever need perfectly as far as cordage. There isn't anything more versatile in use or as efficient as paracord that I'm aware of.

>>614714
Most of it's not really useful or ideal in any way, but I like their ponchos just for being cheap and compact and their mosquito netting for a compact bait/food gathering net if you want to catch some frogs or small fish to eat.

>>614717
silly

>>614739
That's too bad, because the concept is good.

>>615285
That thing i worthless. Good luck binding that to a stick in any reasonable way for splitting wood. Actually needing a hatchet is extremely rare anyway, just pick it up off the ground and break it up using a couple of close together trees if you can't with your hands. If you neeeed to cut wood, a folding saw generally performs better than a hatchet and is much lighter. That card is not going to work for anything, though, it's comical.

>>616662
Everything you can do with bankline you can accomplish with paracord for cheaper, and everything you can do with paracord you can not necessarily do with bankline. It's contrarianism.

>>616969
>hostage escape card
there are so many things wrong with this I'm not even going to start

>>619702
>it's nothing special and actually kind of mediocre for a lot of camping uses.
I really get the feeling that people who diss on paracord don't actually do a lot of camping. It's heavenly.

>>619722
maybe if you need a manicure

Biggest gimmick imo is a machete/kukri. Heavy, bulky, dangerous, not really useful for anything.
>>
>>619688
Survival in real life is not like in the movies and your survival fantasies. Most often it's just keeping yourself warm and hydrated. Stop watching Dual Survival.

>they say you can't walk 20 miles in any direction without hitting a road
Must be a very comforting thought, dying less than 10 miles from safety.

The first thing to do in a survival situation is to do nothing but think, be smart. If you're lost, wet, the sun is going down and temperatures are dropping fast you will not walk out of the situation. If you can't make a fire, you have to build a shelter. The sooner you realize that, the better your chances of survival are.

>focus your efforts on finding the damn road and getting home
This literally is the worst mistake you can make.

All it takes is to go on a dayhike, pick a wrong path and not make it back before sunset.
>>
>>619722
What's that bit at the bottom?
>>
>>619814
It's a screwdriver bit. Looks like it has a #1 and #2 Phillips and standard. Would be difficult to get any torque for stiffer screws though.
>>
>>619722
it has been created for IT professionals, not for the outdoors
>>
File: 26 maine.jpg (1 MB, 1613x2000) Image search: [Google]
26 maine.jpg
1 MB, 1613x2000
>>619807

>I can't walk 10 miles to safety
>sleeping outside at night is instantly fatal
>It is always cold dark and wet out
>I need to split large pieces of wood instead of just using smaller pieces for my recreational survival fire

Batoning is stupid, because you will never ever be in a situation were you will need it for survival, and if you are going out recreationally, bring a fucking hatchet, or just use smaller fuel until your fire is big enough to support whatever you wanted to split anyways.

>>619707
It is true in maine. For more fun to see just how far humanity has stretched, I have a video of every road/shipping route/flight path/similar.

https://vimeo.com/40940686
>>
>>620025
>Batoning is stupid, because you will never ever be in a situation were you will need it for survival
This was about having a batoning knife with you when hiking, just in case you need a fire.

>just use smaller fuel
I guess you mean wet sticks and stuff like that.
>can walk 10 miles with a twisted ankle, in a darkness
>it's going to be sunny and warm if I'll ever be in a survival situation

Right now it's freezing outside. If I was there, with my normal dayhike clothes only, it would be an extremely uncomfortable night without a fire. If my clothes were wet, I would die. You can't walk in the dark and if it gets dark before you get out of there, you will spend a night outside. It's very simple and you should think about it before the next time you go out.
>>
>>620025
logging roads don't count.

also it is true in maine, there is wilderness where you can't find a road 20 miles in either direction.
>>
>>618523
And fishing line beats twine. What's your point?
>>
>>620076

my ass it does, braided line is expensive as fuck.
>>
>>620139
berkley big game mono 80lbs is pretty awesome.
i bring a spool with me camping and use it. then re-purpose it as leader
>>
>>620054

>This was about having a batoning knife with you when hiking, just in case you need a fire.
Because people carry batoning knives for fire purposes that do not involve batoning all the time, right? If you really want something light that will guarantee a fire for emergencies, pack a road flare.

>I guess you mean wet sticks and stuff like that.
If all the small sticks/grass/pine cones/other small fire food is wet, its safe to assume that the big wood is going to be wet as well.

>>can walk 10 miles with a twisted ankle, in a darkness
I wrestled 4 matches with a flat broken ankle, and getting to state means a hell of a lot less to me than my life, I am sure I could do 10 miles on a twisted ankle if the alternative was death

>>it's going to be sunny and warm if I'll ever be in a survival situation
If its cold out, then all the small sticks will be dry, and batoning will not be necessary. Stuck in the cold is one of the only times were you could get in deep shit, but again, if you are far enough away from humans that you can get stuck in the cold and die, they make plbs for a reason.
>>
>>620060
>logging roads don't count.
because you say so?
>>
File: backcountry_survival_pod.jpg (69 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
backcountry_survival_pod.jpg
69 KB, 900x900
Also survival pods/grenades
>>
File: not-your-boy-toy.jpg (46 KB, 550x381) Image search: [Google]
not-your-boy-toy.jpg
46 KB, 550x381
>>620209
>If all the small sticks/grass/pine cones/other small fire food is wet, its safe to assume that the big wood is going to be wet as well.
You can go almost anywhere and always find at least some dry wood inside larger pieces.

>I am sure I could do 10 miles on a twisted ankle if the alternative was death
I bet you could do 100 miles in a bad weather, completely straight line in the storming North Sea if the alternative was death. And then fight polar bears and bodyslam wolves using your mental strenght alone.

>If its cold out, then all the small sticks will be dry
It's quite the opposite. Like right now it has been cloudy for about a week and only about 45 degrees during the day. Everything is wet, except the insides of large pieces of wood. Nothing ever dries, the days are too cold, yet this is the best time of the year to go /out/.

>pack a road flare.
You'd need a mountain of wet birch bark to light wood without kindling. A single road flare would be near useless for lighting any bigger pieces of wood.

TL;DR A batoning knife is not a gimmick.
>>
>>620442
>A single road flare would be near useless for lighting any bigger pieces of wood.

So use it to light smaller pieces, and then slowly add larger pieces, where did you get the no kindling idea from?
>>
File: kenton.jpg (132 KB, 628x441) Image search: [Google]
kenton.jpg
132 KB, 628x441
>>620929
>where did you get the no kindling idea from?
To get dry kindling you need a splitting tool, in other words you need a batoning knife. If there's dry kindling lying around it's not a survival situation, unless something like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BUvDJSdFe7s#t=314
>>
File: prod1214105.jpg (94 KB, 603x588) Image search: [Google]
prod1214105.jpg
94 KB, 603x588
>>620270
And little cans.
>>
>>621078

If you can't light wet twigs with a road flare, you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>621352

Tobacco tins work great for this.
>>
File: Untitled.png (280 KB, 811x612) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
280 KB, 811x612
>>616682
>>616691
>>616694
>>616697
>>616702
>>619688
>>619757
>>620025
>>620054
>>620209
>>620442
>>621078

Does anybody think to use wedges and mallets? if you have a knife and/or a hatchet (hatchet is preferred if you have to choose one), you can make wedges, hammer them in with a quick-and-dirty hardwood mallet or the butt of your hatchet, and split anything you want. The wedges can really be out of anything, including pieces of the wood you're splitting. Sure, it'll definitely take more time than if you lugged a maul into the woods with you, but it works, and it works well.

Still, if Jimmy wants to take his axe and Johnny wants to baton through his wood and they both know what they're doing, who gives a shit? IMO axe/hatchet>wedges>batoning, but to each his own.
>>
>>621647
obviously if you have split wood and you don't have a hatchet that is what you should do.
however if you don't have a hatchet making the wedges will be a real pain in the ass.
>>
>>621630
>If you can't light wet twigs
Man, that's like burning water. The only way to get them lit is to dry them first.

>>621647
I make wedges rather than risk breaking my batoning knife. Making them is easy and fast if you have a batoning knife.
>>
>>619688
>in the lower 48, they say you can't walk 20 miles in any direction without hitting a road

"They" are wrong.
>>
>>621634
The problem is they are not really big enough to be useful. They seem like something someone who never goes out would buy for someone as an "outdoorsy" gift
>>
>>616678
550 lb test is actually really low. The safe working load of a rope is 1/5th it's breaking point. The knots and ties you use on a rope greatly impact its breaking point. The issue is further exacerbated by exposure to precipitation, UV, and temperatures as well as normal wear and tear.
>>
>>621647
The problem is you get "batoning master" retards like https://www.youtube.com/user/preparedmind101 with 100k + subs on youtube and even had a knife he designed get produced by shcrade when this nigga is just a fucking gear queer dicking around in his backyard who after thousands of hours of preaching shit is finally getting around to do doing some basic innawoods stuff.
>>
>>614732
Some stuff is too simple to fuck up. Their small folding stoves work just as well as an Esbit and they have another model that fits a Trangia/Can stove that I keep for group hikes. Their iodine, thermal blankets (used once, not fond of them in general but they work), fire steels, matches, lighters, and candles all work fine, but are kind of knock offish. Their large compasses work (but I wouldn't take them off of the trail and actually try to navigate with them). Knives, saws, flashlights, multitools, and magnesium blocks are all junk. The firstaid kits are alright, good for starting your own and gets you an easily identifiable package. So to answer your question, they're mostly- Actually shit, what >>614734 said is the best analogy I've seen.
>>
>>619702
This. Just use the cordage that's affordable and abundant for you and try to keep it light weight. I honestly use twine the most just because it makes nice tinder and I gotta keep that old world aesthetic. And it's cheap.
>>
>>620249
No, because no one normally drives on them. You could go weeks without seeing anyone, especially in the winter when virtually no logging is done.
>>
>>621630
Yeah, like trying to start a fire with waterlogged tinder.
>>
>>621918
>a seldom used logging ROAD isn't a ROAD
stop being silly mainebub
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 450x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 450x310
>>621918
>>619757
>>616691
Basement dwellers detected
>>
>>622073
Finding a seldom used logging road is not the same as being saved. As for having a survival tool just in case, I rather have it than die lying on a seldom used logging ROAD.

>>622089
So anyone with any common sense is a basement dweller. A fine radar you have there.
>>
File: WRYfn[1].jpg (109 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
WRYfn[1].jpg
109 KB, 960x1280
>>614696
bought these from a chinese webshop. never used, yet.
>>
>>622126
>common sense
>survivalfag
Pick one
>>
>>622131
I've had one of these in my wallet for about five years, only used it a couple of times (tin opener and bottle opener) but it seems to work good.
>>
>>622181
Not even a survival fag, but people interested in their own survival are usually not "survivalfags", but people with common sense.

>call other people fags
>be one
Love yourself.
>>
>>617757
I love technora.
Dyneema is cheaper. And stronger.
I've used 1/8th inch Dyneema to pull a car out of a ditch.
>>
>>621832
UV isn't a huge factor with 550. Nylon is really resistant to damage from the sun. And that's more than strong enough for most purposes.
I climb. I have a fuckton of string. I only need things stronger than paracord when I am ascending something or hoisting something, like a deer out of a gulley.
>>
>>617531
what about a bottle opener
>>
>>622242
Bullshit. In no way is paracord a suitable replacement for climbing rope.
>>
>>622253
It isn't. It does everything else.
Lol. I'm not fucking stupid. Read what I typed.
>>
>>622253
5400 or 23.5kn is the ANSI minimum breaking strength for anything that is primary life support. I don't often break that rule.
>>
>>622242
>Nylon is really resistant to damage from the sun
OTOH it loses around 15% of its strength when it gets wet and it's not as abrasion resistant as polypro or polyester.

The stretch is a plus or a minus depending on application but for static loads I'd say it's a minus.
>>
>>622131
Are those metric or imperial wrenches?
>>
>>622131

I can confirm that I've accidentally smuggled this thing several times past airport security this year. That's one thing going for it, I guess.
>>
>>622823
It does. But the strength on this shit is plenty.
I would be more worried about the way it holds the water. Paracord just soaks that shit up and then you have a 5 pound wad of string.

I really like Dyneema cord more.
>>
>>622285
2 tonnes? why the fuck seriously?
have murricans became that fat?
>>
>>623083
It is because I work on it. Every day.
Various points in my rope and the same points on my saddle have been loaded at two to five times my weight thousands of times.
I am a lean 5'11" 175lbs.
And my personal climb line has an abs of 8100lbs
>>
>>621634
I just use an altoids tin
>>
>>623083
Shock loading from falls
>>
>>619757
>I really get the feeling that people who diss on paracord don't actually do a lot of camping.
I really get the feelling that people who sperg out about paracord have never used any other type of ~4mm cordage to compare it to (and don't sail).

>B-but muh milspec and muh inner strands
>>
>>623531
I sail and climb, and good quality kernmantle 3mm and 4mm accessory cordelette is superior in nearly every way to paracord except for maybe price.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueWater-PreCut-Accessory-Cord-4mm/dp/B0001VO9EQ

The 4mm has nearly twice the rated tensile strength of '550 test' paracord

Paracord is a youtuber estyfag bracelet meme
>>
>>617561
Was I supposed to assume something gruesome was about to happen in that GIF?
>>
>>624545
>He's never seen the cartel chainsaw video

How new are you?
>>
>>624545
Lookup "dagestan massacre"
>>
File: ff_1827.jpg (60 KB, 790x588) Image search: [Google]
ff_1827.jpg
60 KB, 790x588
>>622131
>>622888
I remembered I had one in my wallet at the airport after I'd checked in my luggage. I ended up binning it rather than have to deal with any drama. It only cost me $5 so I wasn't too devo.
>>
File: beans.jpg (101 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
beans.jpg
101 KB, 640x714
>>626500

That tent has a sphincter
>>
>>626509
I was thinking another part.. but then maybe I just have a dirty mind..
>>
>>614739

I am going to pay a lot of money to sink this kayak.
>>
>>622073
Different Mainer here.

In his defense, those logging roads extend forever and sometimes are seldom used. When they are used the truckers are usually ripped on meth while bombing down the roads. They are more likely to run over you than stop to help.
>>
>>621918
You do realize though, that if you find a logging road, down hill is always the way to the nearest highway. The point of finding a road still stands.
>>
File: pocketfisherman.jpg (59 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
pocketfisherman.jpg
59 KB, 1500x1500
What about this classic piece of gear?
>>
>>614805
are you saying thread is better than paracord? I don't think thread could bear the same weight. Please elaborate
>>
>>626634
i would buy one if it were properly made
>>
>>619722
>let's make a swiss army creditcard, that takes more space than a swiss army knife with all the tools attached to it.

Absolute dogshit.
>>
File: bear-grylls-survival-tools-o.jpg (107 KB, 1032x500) Image search: [Google]
bear-grylls-survival-tools-o.jpg
107 KB, 1032x500
how come nobody posted these?
>>
>>630551
If any of those knives were decent, there wouldn't need to be seventeen of them.
>>
>>630707
cheap china make shit sold for a lot of bucks
if i found myself on a desert island i would thank god for any of them but actually paying for one... nope.jpg
>>
>>630551
I remember the parang machete having some issues with breaking off and flying back at the user when swung.
>>
>>630741
yeah, making a quarter tang machete with severely thinned and weakened tang by screw hole is really not the best idea.
if gerber moved production out of china and go up in price and quality some of their products would be great. i like the thought that was put in some how they can make a knife and a sheath into an entire kit. it just all fails to deliver on the most important aspect of a knife. the fucking blade.
>>
>>630551
I buy these occasionally for my cousins. Are they stupid and impractical? Yes. Are they cheap and kids love them? Yes.

A kid wouldn't know a decent knife if it stabbed them in the ass. They love shiny, gaudy shit like BG gear.
It's a tradition that's been passed on for generations. Kid goes to hardware store with dad. Kid sees shiny knife. Kid wants knife. Dad buys knife, knowing full well it's junk. Kid loves it anyways.

The point is, BG gear isn't made for people who actually make frequent use of such tools, they're made to capitalize on stupid people and kids. They're airsoft guns, basically.
>>
>>630551
> making all that money from shitty merch
> and all he had to do was drink his own piss

Would /out/ drink their own piss for money?
>>
>>631237
i would drink it for way less money i thing for a grand it would go down shaken, not stirred
>>
File: 1434741245567.jpg (121 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1434741245567.jpg
121 KB, 1024x1024
>>631328
Don't forget the lemon peel slice with a twist for your piss.
Cheers m8
>>
File: 815xWegT51L._SL1500_.jpg (117 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
815xWegT51L._SL1500_.jpg
117 KB, 1500x1500
Bought one of these for my keychain. Actually a pretty useful little thing to have handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Shard-Keychain-Tool-22-01769/dp/B002ZK45IQ
>>
>>631827
Have you ever actually used it or is it just potentially handy?
>>
>>631838
not that guy, but i've had one on my keychain for a couple years now and I use it way more than I thought it would
>>
>>631838
Only had it for a few weeks and i've used it a couple times. It won't change your life but it comes in handy. It's neat to have.
>>
File: keytool.jpg (248 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
keytool.jpg
248 KB, 900x750
>>631827
I have a similar thing, it is kinda gimmicky I suppose, I only really use the flathead screw head things and the bottle opener, but I use (well, used, I'm in uni halls at the moment so I have a card instead of real keys) it a lot more than I thought I would. I like to tinker with things, so having that on me comes in handy for unscrewing things fairly frequently. Plus it was only £3.50 ad it's lasted a year with no signs of damage thus far
>>
>>631921
>tweezers
Where?
>>
>>630707
People have different needs. Offering a large range allows you to sell products to a larger group of people.
>>
>>631827

I've been looking to EDC a pry-bar of some sort, does that work well?
>>
I can't help but laugh at the "no one should baton anything, ever" crowd. Whoever came up with that idea, dix itvwhen 440 stainless was high tech. Modern steel, with proper heat treat can take a lot of abuse.

Speaking of pm101, his channel has always been about the gear aspect of prepping. Check out his vid on the ltwk rogue river to see how crazy can you get with a good knife without breaking it.
>>
>>631838
>>632944
>>631827
shardfag
I'm in the "it gets used way more than it should boat"
>shit philips head driver on the hole end sees action occasionally
>opening all sorts of funky shit with the prying end

Fuck the bottle opener though. No point fishing it out when my knife works better and is more accessible
>>
>>614717
It's a possession of drug paraphernalia charge AND weapons charge! Think of the time you'll save!
>>
>>634019
I can't help but laugh at the "don't ever put ethanol blend fuel in your small engine ever" crowd. Whoever cane up with that idea did it when synthetic oil was high tech. Modern small engines, with fuel filters, can take a lot of abuse.
>>
>>616697
i have stumbled once into a situation where if not for my hatchet there would been no fire.
everything was fucking wet. i usually don't fuck around with wood much just grab it and throw it on fire, but it didn't work at all then. also it was night so poor visibility and being in a hurry kept me from going around or getting creative in splitting wood.
i don't think a batoning knife would have done the ob in time. i split wood for an hour so that the fire doesn't go out before it dries some logs and starts really going.
>>
>>631921

The True Utility KeyTool is fucking awesome. I've been EDC'ing mine for years.
>>
>>631948

You pinch the edge of the tool and the key together. pretty clumsy tweezers
>>
>>620025
Misleading video. Cant speak for the situation in America, but in Australia, lot of those roads arent goíng to get you anywhere. That black band along the east coast roughly corresponds to one side of the Great Dividing Range, and on the other side of it, you can easily end up a couple of days walk from there. It can take days to walk across a single property.
>>
>>621634
>>623477
I've used each of these to store Charcoal patches, but not much else
>>
>>632944
>>631838

Its a little short for leverage , but its alright.
I have one since it came with a knife I bought years ago, and I use it more than I'd ever though I would.
>>
>>616694
you are a complete tosser if you honestly think what works in your neck of the woods applies to the rest of the world.
>>
>>619826
>what are tongs?
>>
>>615495

you're a noob
the inside string of paracord is god tier

its weighs nothing and is ultra strong
you're not supposed to use paracord with that retarded heavy jacket

holy shit i am keking at how fucking stupid /out/ can be
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.